21' Escape - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Me | General Topics > Shopping Escape
Click Here to Login

Old 09-24-2016, 09:01 AM   #1

Trailer: New skool escape 21
21' Escape

Configuring a 21' and have some picture requests if people have them along with general information from others
  • LED Awning Strip, what does it look like and where is it attached?
  • are there any other special set ups that are made when opting for the dual 6v set up? or could that be easily done later?
  • the 160 W solar kit with controller is another option i'm feeling meh about. It feels expensive for what you get. If you buy it can you hook up more panels to that same controller? What is the preferred way to do the ports if you go down the aim-a-panel route? regular 12 volt socket or something fancier?
  • Is there enough light in the bathroom if you don't opt for a window?

my build so far
  • External Fridge Fan
  • Hot Water Tank
  • Foot Flush Toilet
  • Winterizing T Valve
  • Exterior Shower
  • Dual 6V Batteries
  • fan maxxfan 7000K
  • insulation and thermal windows frameless
  • rims
  • insulated tanks
  • high lift axle
yxan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2016, 09:38 AM   #2

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21C 2019 Expedition
21 Options

Would advise you to at least have ETI provide wiring for adding solar later. Having had dual 6V with & without solar I find it night & day difference in performance. Without solar you have about 4-5 days off-grid and then it can take a while to charge them back up. With solar they seem to be always charged, or at least they seem to recover very quickly.

As to the high lift- I learned recently with going to a new WDH(Pro Series) that even with a tall SUV you have to get the drop to about 21", which means the shank will sometimes drag(such as in some gas station driveways). Not sure if raising the axle a little really makes this low point at the tongue any better or not. Escape trailers are not nearly as tall as most other types- especially the stickies.
Rossue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2016, 10:45 AM   #3

Trailer: 2016 19 classic "outta sight", jeep rubicon unlimited
Awning lights (on a 19).
Attached Thumbnails
image.jpg  
Marry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2016, 10:49 AM   #4

We don't have a window in the bathroom. Making us turn on the light. You could do without light, as there is still some coming through the gaps from above and underneath the door.
Old 09-24-2016, 10:52 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marry View Post
Awning lights (on a 19).
with that set up do you ever run the porch light? assuming the awning has to be out for this light to be functional?
Old 09-24-2016, 10:59 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by yxan View Post
with that set up do you ever run the porch light?
We have a porch light, but never used it so far. Only time was first night camping, to see if it worked. The awning strip light is VERY nice to have. Especially when you love reading!
It comes with a remote dimmer, which is handy.
Very happy we took this option!!
The awning does NOT have to be deployed in order to use the lights.
Old 09-24-2016, 11:16 AM   #7

The other option I love is the Exterioir Propane Quick connect. Never have to bring extra propane bottles along for the barbecue. Just hook it up beside the steps. Easy Peesy.
Old 09-24-2016, 11:18 AM   #8

Trailer: "The Trailer", 2nd Gen 21' & a 2017 Tundra CrewMax in Blazing Blue Pearl
Quote:
with that set up do you ever run the porch light? assuming the awning has to be out for this light to be functional?
Don't forget the photo is from the "classic" style trailer and with a different awning than what will be used on all new trailers that were ordered on or after April 1st. So, if you haven't ordered one yet, you'll be getting a different awning. And the light could very well be different. I don't know if there's an option for the light on the 2nd Gen style of trailer as we weren't originally getting one on the classic style we originally had on order (and switched over on). ETI would be your best bet on finding out if the new Dometic (or Carefree if they switch brands again) awning has a light option and if they'll offer it.
NW Cat Owner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2016, 11:29 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by NW Cat Owner View Post
Don't forget the photo is from the "classic" style trailer and with a different awning than what will be used on all new trailers that were ordered on or after April 1st. So, if you haven't ordered one yet, you'll be getting a different awning. And the light could very well be different. I don't know if there's an option for the light on the 2nd Gen style of trailer as we weren't originally getting one on the classic style we originally had on order (and switched over on). ETI would be your best bet on finding out if the new Dometic (or Carefree if they switch brands again) awning has a light option and if they'll offer it.
my build sheet included it, and I just ordered mine like 3 days ago.
Old 09-24-2016, 11:30 AM   #10

Quote:
You are right, it might be different. But seeing that it is installed on the trailer, and not on the awning itself, it might be the same as with our "classic". And yes, only ETI can give the final right answer to this.
You sure are on top of things Laura!
Old 09-24-2016, 11:35 AM   #11

Trailer: "The Trailer", 2nd Gen 21' & a 2017 Tundra CrewMax in Blazing Blue Pearl
Quote:
Ah, good to know. And if you have one on order, then you get to change your info on the left side! YAY!
Old 09-24-2016, 11:39 AM   #12

Quote:
Well well. You have one on order already? Congratulations!! Very exciting! You are going to love your new trailer!!
Old 09-24-2016, 11:45 AM   #13

Quote:
You are right, it might be different. But seeing that it is installed on the trailer, and not on the awning itself, it might be the same as with our "classic". And yes, only ETI can give the final right answer to this.
You sure are on top of things Laura!
HA! Well, for some things. But not others.

I had forgotten the awning light wasn't actually on the awning itself. I opted not to get that as I'm not one to sit around a campfire. If I'm sitting around outside at night, I want to admire the stars and an awning light could interfere with that. And if I need any light outside with me, I have a battery-operated lantern. For reading I need TONS of bright light, which means I'm inside.

But that's what's so cool about these trailers - you can get so many things customized to how you want it. When I went up there yesterday to drop stuff off for the build, the border guard wanted to know what all I was bringing up, their value and why I wasn't using what they supplied. I focused on the fabric and told her that what they use looks (to me) like it was designed in the 70's (I didn't mention by someone on drugs; had enough of the drug-filled 70's, thank you very much), I don't like it and by using my own I could get purple. Yeah, I like purple.
Old 09-24-2016, 11:50 AM   #14

Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
Quote:
We have a porch light, but never used it so far. Only time was first night camping, to see if it worked. The awning strip light is VERY nice to have. Especially when you love reading!
It comes with a remote dimmer, which is handy.
Very happy we took this option!!
The awning does NOT have to be deployed in order to use the lights.
When I looked north the other night, I thought I saw the Northern Lights. I now realize it was just your glamping strip.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2016, 11:53 AM   #15

Quote:
HA! Well, for some things. But not others.

But that's what's so cool about these trailers - you can get so many things customized to how you want it. When I went up there yesterday to drop stuff off for the build, the border guard wanted to know what all I was bringing up, their value and why I wasn't using what they supplied. I focused on the fabric and told her that what they use looks (to me) like it was designed in the 70's (I didn't mention by someone on drugs; had enough of the drug-filled 70's, thank you very much), I don't like it and by using my own I could get purple. Yeah, I like purple.
And we got orange.

Just some crazy ladies picking " crazy" colors
Old 09-24-2016, 12:00 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Bennett View Post
When I looked north the other night, I thought I saw the Northern Lights. I now realize it was just your glamping strip.
Probably. Calgary's elevation is higher...
Follow the bright Northen Light (strip)!! And we could have a drink together
Old 09-24-2016, 12:03 PM   #17

Quote:
my build so far
I'm very clueless about electrical stuff and leave that to Dirk to figure out. But, I do know you'll want to add the surge protector to your list.

I also really, really wanted the wireless back-up camera. Many times I'll be using the trailer on my own and won't have anyone to help me back it up. I have a back-up camera on my FJ and after having it, I find it very disconcerting to back up a vehicle without one.

We also added on the power tongue jack as neither of us felt like cranking that sucker up and down. If it makes my life easier, I'm all for it! I know not everyone has it and that's fine. It's on mine and that's all that matters.

We added a counter extension at the end of the kitchen counter. Can never have enough counter space and I'll take what more I can get. We also added them in the dinette as we're getting the u-shape version and the table won't be installed. That way we'll have a place for snacks and drinks while lounging in comfort and reading.

We're getting another door on the side of the bed platform for easier access to what's inside. Plus, I'm getting a shoe container and drawer added by Charlie.

Lots of folks will get the reinforced walls for added strength plus the ability to mount something a bit heavier on the walls. We got 3 of 'em, even though we're not going to mount any TVs or whatever. Dirk liked it for additional strength.

There's lots of threads on this forum regarding the various options and what folks feel about it. When we first decided to get an Escape trailer, I read all that I could on this forum and added information to a spreadsheet regarding options that I thought sounded interesting. Lots of time and research later, our build sheet is officially signed off on, trailer is paid in full and now we wait until our scheduled orientation at 11AM on Dec 14th!

Dirk gets the time off between Xmas and New Year and we hope to take The Trailer out on the maiden voyage to the WA coast for a few days. It'll take us a bit to get the trailer outfitted and then we can pack up the kitties and head out of here. I'm really looking forward to that!

Cross fingers there won't be a ton of snow around here then!

And if there is, oh well. There will be times soon enough after that for camping!
Old 09-24-2016, 12:07 PM   #18

Quote:
... by using my own I could get purple. Yeah, I like purple.
Quote:
And we got orange.

Just some crazy ladies picking " crazy" colors
And your green countertop! Don't forget that. Hee, hee.

I'm not too sure if our trailers should ever be parked next to each other. I'm not sure I'd want to see what sort of color combinations would arise from that encounter.

We did go with a black countertop. So, that might tone it down a bit.
Old 09-24-2016, 12:14 PM   #19

Quote:
And your green countertop! Don't forget that. Hee, hee.

I'm not too sure if our trailers should ever be parked next to each other. I'm not sure I'd want to see what sort of color combinations would arise from that encounter.

We did go with a black countertop. So, that might tone it down a bit.
Get a yellow water kettle!!!!!! We have one. Looks great! (I say so myself )
Old 09-24-2016, 12:56 PM   #20

Quote:
Get a yellow water kettle!!!!!! We have one. Looks great! (I say so myself )
Um, yeah, you definitely play in a different color group than I do!

However, yellow is perfect for your color scheme. And you sure can't be gloomy around your bright, cheerful color choices.

You'll need one of these: (my purple toaster that's on my Wish List is 30 bucks cheaper!)

https://www.amazon.com/XIANGJUN-hous...yellow+toaster

Hey, if I can't spend my own money, I'll help you spend yours!