3 exterior lights on one interior switch - for those who have done it.... - Page 2 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Me | General Topics > Shopping Escape
Click Here to Login

Old 09-21-2016, 03:09 PM   #21

Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
Quote:
Originally Posted by rbryan4 View Post
I think if I were building a new 2017, and wanted a third light for over the storage box, I'd have them install a triple gang switch in the same location on the end of the overhead cabinet. The middle switch would control the front light.
I like the idea of logically grouping switches. Although each switch is a separate device, they can be mounted in faceplates which combine up to at least four, and can even be purchased as a set. All exterior lights could be grouped in one, all interior lights in another, and other stuff (power awning?) in a third if required.

Jr Products double, triple, and quad switch assemblies

Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2016, 03:43 PM   #22

Trailer: 2015 21'; 2011 19' sold; 4Runner; ph ninezero3 327-27ninefour
Our separate switches allow us to turn on only the light we need so as not to light up the whole place. We can leave a light on with no neighbor that direction if we think we need it. We do see many large RVs with a bright light or two on all night. If no one is right around, no problem. Depends on the circumstances. We also have an amber cover for the porch light.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian B-P View Post
So how does this work?
  1. Do you leave the local switches at each light on all the time, and turn off at the interior switch? That would mean that any time you turn on the interior switch, all of the lights come on to annoy others around you, until you run around and turn off the extras. That doesn't make sense to me.
  2. Do you leave the local switches at each light off all the time, and turn on at the interior switch to enable them when needed? That would mean going to whatever area where you want light in the dark, until you turn the light on. That's a bit like having only lamps in a room instead of a switch at the door turning a light on, and seems to me like a loss of functionality to avoid having a switch in the trailer - are the switches that hideous?

If the trailer comes with one common switch that's okay. Given the chance to have the lights individually switched, that certainly seems more functional to me.

It is not at all uncommon for houses and commercial buildings to have a row of identical switches together, typically near a doorway. If that causes confusion (typically because the controlled lights are not visible from the switch location), the obvious fix is labels... and RVs routinely have labels. There are seven switches just inside the door of my motorhome, all identical other than one of them being illuminated when on; four of them are lined up in one bezel. They run two sets of interior lights, the storage compartment lights, the outside "patio" light, the power step, the awning, and the battery disconnect relay. It's no problem to keep them straight in routine use, and all have neatly printed labels in case of any uncertainty.
float5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2016, 11:45 PM   #23

Trailer: 2013 Escape 21 Classic #7
so can someone smarter than me explain why the switches need to be so big??
7th Heaven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2016, 11:48 PM   #24

Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
Quote:
Originally Posted by 7th Heaven View Post
so can someone smarter than me explain why the switches need to be so big??
They don't. It is just a preference. No fumbling with big mitts in the dark.

Switches in your home could be way smaller too.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2016, 09:15 PM   #25

Trailer: 2017 Escape 21, 2017 Toyota Tundra 5.7L 4x4
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Bennett View Post
In 6+ years I never once used the light installed on the driver side, and will eliminate that on my 5.0 too. I had one on the front that saw very minimal use, but I did not have the storage box. I do want one under the loft though, but I think that might be standard? I would likely not want it switched inside, as I would need to be outside to use it anyway.
I'm new to the ESI lingo. What is the loft?
richardr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2016, 09:17 PM   #26
Site Team

Trailer: 2015 19 "Past Tents", 2021 F150 Lariat 2.7L EB
Quote:
Originally Posted by richardr View Post
I'm new to the ESI lingo. What is the loft?
The "loft" means the bed area on the 5th wheel. The light would be underneath that, on the lower front of the trailer.
Old 10-23-2016, 10:10 PM   #27

Trailer: 2017 Escape 21, 2017 Toyota Tundra 5.7L 4x4
Thanks.
richardr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2016, 07:06 AM   #28

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
Because switch space maybe limited, at least in the 19 kitchen side wall in the new 2nd gen models. I do not think ETI will install in the o/h ends by the door as these are now solid walls due to the build change. Thus these switches are now mounted on the lower side kitchen wall by the door which has access from inside the cabinets. With the drop down table, stock 120v and 12v outlet, only a double switch will fit, Thus you can have all 3 lights one toggle or 2 on one and 1 toggles there. I went for an extra 12v drop under the bed for one and my exterior 2 lights on the other. Each exterior light also has an on/off switch. Since my batteries are in the front box, it is simple to access the batteries and mount a light on the inside box lid which will give you the needed light for both inside the box and outside the box.
Old 10-24-2016, 07:18 AM   #29

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
In addition, if you ever empty your tanks after nightfall, the driver side light, which is now mounted down low by the sewer hookups, comes in quite handy. Thus I sent for the stock 2 light light set up, driver and passenger (which I requested be mounted down low because I have the awning light option) the third light in my front box I'll install later.