3 exterior lights on one interior switch - for those who have done it.... - Escape Trailer Owners Community

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Me | General Topics > Shopping Escape
Click Here to Login

Old 08-18-2016, 01:36 AM   #1

Trailer: 2017-21' Escape born Dec 28, 2016, Casita 17' (sold)
Question 3 exterior lights on one interior switch - for those who have done it....

Hi all

I seem to recall that Donna D did this? Maybe? I can't remember who else did...

So I have maybe changed my mind, and i'm now thinking it would be nice... on our 2017 21' .... to have 3 dedicated exterior lights on one interior switch. Added at build.

As the double pane windows are pretty 'tinted' .....

late at night... shining a flashlight out a window might not do much good....

- for those who have done it.... how exactly did you implement exterior lights, on one (?) internal switch?

We wont get the optional front window on our 21'

so my thought was to leave the 2 Standard lights alone:

on passenger side porch, (and maybe pop in an amber lens, for more relaxed night time usage)

and on Driver Side above sewer connections

and *ADD* 3 lights on the Escape - all on one interior switch - on the passenger side, the rear, and the drivers side. (all up high - ?)

so if i hear mysterious sounds outside, (or need to quickly setup camp in the dark) i flip one switch, and then I can see all 3 sides. (and turn off as soon as possible)

my only thought was.... if someone was forgetful and turned off one of these lights locally, then no way to turn on remotely, correct? (till the local switch was turned back on)

or could i specify exterior lights that didn't have a (local) ON-OFF switch? (do they exist?)

I bet i'd have to provide them.

and

any other ideas for implementation?

thanks.

Losangeles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2016, 06:26 AM   #2

Trailer: 2015 19 "Past Tents", 2015 F150 Ecoboost
Lots of folks have had exterior light switches mounted on the door frame, although I've not seen one switch that controls more than one light. Since the redesign, mounting them on the door frame is out. But, the logical place for them is on the end of the overhead cabinet by the door. I had two switches installed there, left for passenger side and right for drivers side. I also have a switch on the door frame that controls the central interior overhead light. It's so I can turn on the interior light from outside without opening the screen. Not really applicable to the new design, because of the new door. I think if I were building a new 2017, and wanted a third light for over the storage box, I'd have them install a triple gang switch in the same location on the end of the overhead cabinet. The middle switch would control the front light.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Old 08-18-2016, 06:30 AM   #3
Site Team

Trailer: 2016 2ndGen Escape 19' PRAIRIE SCHOONER pulled by 2014 Ram Hemi/8sp
I did it on my Escape, you then have the option of all lights on or you can individually turn each one off as there is a switch on each light. You may want to specify clear or amber lens.
More important is having a switch to turn on a light when entering the trailer.
Old 08-18-2016, 06:56 AM   #4
Site Team

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0 TA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Losangeles View Post
Hi all

I seem to recall that Donna D did this?
Yes, I did.

Top switch turns on the dual ceiling light right inside the door

Middle switch turns on the porch light

Bottom switch turns on the other three exterior lights: under loft, drivers side and rear (which was an added option).

Yes it's true the switch rockers must be in the correct position for the interior switches to work. Simple really, just double-check during setup.

I'm happy. Turning on two switches lights up Ten Forward all the way around. As a solo traveler, its just one of those passive security deterrents I have at my disposal.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg ThreeSwitches.JPG (40.3 KB, 19 views)
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2016, 08:23 AM   #5

Trailer: 2013 Escape 19
Back in 2013, I had optional exterior lights installed on the drivers side near the exterior shower and on the front of the trailer over the storage box. That was in addition to the light beside the entrance door. All three lights have a switch on the light itself for turning them on or off. I had a single master switch added on the inside of the door frame during the build that turned the power to all three lights on or off at once. I normally keep the exterior switches on the front light and drivers side light in the "off" position, and the switch on the light by the entrance door in the "on" position. With that approach, the interior switch turns the entrance door light on or off when used. In three years of use, I have never had the occasion to use the front box light or the drivers side light. On my next Escape, I would consider eliminating those extra lights and just keep a flashlight in the trailer for situations where I may need it.

"It is better to remain silent at the risk of being thought a fool, than to talk and remove all doubt of it." - 1907, Maurice Switzer
ice-breaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2016, 04:26 PM   #6

Trailer: 2010 EggCamper (#083); 2017 Escape 21 (#053); 2016 F-150 5.0L 4x4
Our 21' is still on order, but we ordered similar to Donna D except ETI won't mount the switches on the door jam anymore. So we're having the switches mounted on the side of the sink cabinet so they can be easily reached while standing on the ground just outside the door or standing inside at the sink.
War Eagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2016, 04:29 PM   #7
Site Team

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0 TA
Quote:
Originally Posted by War Eagle View Post
Our 21' is still on order, but we ordered similar to Donna D except ETI won't mount the switches on the door jam anymore. So we're having the switches mounted on the side of the sink cabinet so they can be easily reached while standing on the ground just outside the door or standing inside at the sink.
That would work as long as you don't have a folding table there. Because the door jam is now different in the 2017 builds... I would think the standard location would be at the end of the upper cabinet, next to the door. You wouldn't be able to reach them while standing outside, but how long does it take to take one step up? I guess I'm saying, I like the folding table.
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2016, 11:35 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpaharley2008 View Post
I did it on my Escape, you then have the option of all lights on or you can individually turn each one off as there is a switch on each light. You may want to specify clear or amber lens.
More important is having a switch to turn on a light when entering the trailer.
Yup. Going to have the main interior light on a switch

They now do it just aft of the door. Just below the forward edge of the sink.

And even with the flip up table there we will add - 2 switches will fit. I was at ETI Monday and confined this on a 21' 2017 with Sarah.

Old 08-18-2016, 11:38 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donna D. View Post
That would work as long as you don't have a folding table there. Because the door jam is now different in the 2017 builds... I would think the standard location would be at the end of the upper cabinet, next to the door. You wouldn't be able to reach them while standing outside, but how long does it take to take one step up? I guess I'm saying, I like the folding table.
On the 2017 21 light switches are on the lower cabinet. Below the sink. Right by the door jam

And yes 2 switches will fit there with the optional flip up table there

Sarah of ETI showed me on Monday at ETI

I am hoping they can fit 3 switches there.

Old 09-21-2016, 12:22 AM   #10

Good news is that Escape is willing to fit 5 light switches for me

Thanks to all who encouraged me to have each exterior light on its own switch.

Plus the interior ceiling light.

Glad it can be done.