5.0 Build - Have To Think Fast! U Shape Dinette or Not? - Escape Trailer Owners Community

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Me | General Topics > Shopping Escape
Click Here to Login

Old 08-02-2018, 06:32 PM   #1

Trailer: 2014 Lance 1995, Ordered a 5.0 for Oct 30 delivery
5.0 Build - Have To Think Fast! U Shape Dinette or Not?

On Monday we decided to cover all our bases before buying our 21'. We looked at a 5.0 and were smitten by the queen bed, no weight distribution needed, no worry about sway, and more storage among other things. On Monday afternoon we switched our build to a 5.0 and let them know if a build date came up sooner than December let us know. This morning I called in with some questions and were told we could have an October 30 build if we wanted, but had to finalize our build by next Tuesday. We need to think fast!

We'd been working on our build for the 21' so we have most of it done, but can't decide between the standard vs the u-shape dinette. We don't have animals, so that's not an issue. Does anyone regret the u-shaped dinette?

I would prefer ONLY those with a u-shape dinette answer, but know some just can't help themselves.

Enjoy,

Perry

Perryb67 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2018, 06:39 PM   #2
Site Team

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0 TA
I don't regret the u-shape in mine, but I'm usually a solo traveler. I think if I was a couple, I'd want the standard dinette with the Lagun table leg. I'd get a filler board and cushion. That would allow conversion between the two types... without the big long cushion on the back wall though.

BUT, if you're getting dual 6-volt batteries, the u-shape dinette will give you more storage as the batteries are on the back wall. It leaves the passenger side dinette cupboard completely empty. That's where I store tools and that nasty vacuum cleaner.

Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2018, 06:42 PM   #3
Site Team

Trailer: 2015 19 "Past Tents", 2018 F150 2.7L Ecoboost
Quote:
Originally Posted by Perryb67 View Post
Does anyone regret the u-shaped dinette?
Congrats on moving up your date! We have a U-shaped dinette in our 19, and I've mixed feelings about it's practicality. The 19 dinette area is considerably smaller, so I'm not sure it was a wise option for us. But in the 5.0TA, you'll have a much larger dinette area, and I think the U-shape is the way to go. You also benefit from additional underseat storage, and have a readily available lounge area when the table is removed.
Old 08-02-2018, 06:49 PM   #4

Trailer: 1961 Airstream and a 2017 5.0 TA
We have the u shape dinette in our 5.0 TA and love it. We have had four sit at the table for dinner and no problems. But to each his own.
RicVic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2018, 07:11 PM   #5
Site Team

Trailer: 5.0 TA #6, 2012 F150 EB
U dinette here too. Given the 2 options I prefer the U. I like the under the rear bench storage, it's where all my self installed electronics is. For 2 of us the U works well although we don't use the rear bench for our legs and such, to much hassle with the table leg/s, I don't bend like I used to.

When we traveled with our little dog most of the rear bench was her's, which worked well. Now that she's gone we use it for kind of storage for whatever we're doing at the table. Crafts, books, laptop, that kind of stuff. I imagine it'd be on the table if it were the standard dinette.

I can't see 2 adults sitting on the back bench, but then we've not tried it. We have had grand kids back there and they had no trouble, roughly 12 year olds. I we were to have 3 or more regularly I'd want the standard dinette.

I'd have to try the standard dinette to see if we made a mistake, without doing so I'll say we made the right choice, for us.
Old 08-02-2018, 07:35 PM   #6

Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
Quote:
I would prefer ONLY those with a u-shape dinette answer, but know some just can't help themselves.
I have input, but I have to say I really don't like this exclusivity of some members. Not a nice way to play in my books. Lots of folks with the standard dinette have could have very valuable input with the reasons they went that way.

I have the U-shaped dinette. Of any option this was my toughest choice. I like the storage it provides for electronics leaving the passenger side fully open for storage. It also looks good. For these reasons I went with it.

What I don't like is that it is not great for 4 people. The back seat is too narrow to be useful, and sitting side by side the rearward person has to sit at an angle because there is not enough foot room due to the rear bench. We do have large pillows my wife made that can go in the corner and help with this, but it is not as nice as sitting up straight to the table. Also when we sit together on one side to watch a movie (have actually only done this one night so far), it would sure be nice to have good leg room for both of us.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2018, 07:46 PM   #7

Trailer: none
What type of electronics are ya'll installing in the back bench area?
Old 08-02-2018, 07:52 PM   #8

Trailer: 2014 Lance 1995, Ordered a 5.0 for Oct 30 delivery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Bennett View Post
I have input, but I have to say I really don't like this exclusivity of some members. Not a nice way to play in my books. Lots of folks with the standard dinette have could have very valuable input with the reasons they went that way.
Apparently you failed to comprehend my statement:
Quote:
Does anyone regret the u-shaped dinette?
I wanted to know if those who DO or HAVE owned a u-shaped dinette regretted the purchase. How would someone who never owned one have regretted the purchase.

Enjoy,

Perry
Perryb67 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2018, 08:10 PM   #9
Site Team

Trailer: 2019 2ndG Escape 21'LE DejaView pulled by 2014 Ram Hemi/8sp
Pulling a Lance and then an Escape is like night and day, even the bumper pull tow better, without weight distribution. I had several Lance trailers and 4 Escapes, so I'm speaking from experience. The w/d issue aside, the switch from 21 to the 5,0 also has some other pit falls, like little storage capacity for mats and chairs, now that your truck bed is no longer available. What is your tow vehicle you will be using.
Old 08-02-2018, 08:30 PM   #10
Site Team

Trailer: 2015 19 "Past Tents", 2018 F150 2.7L Ecoboost
Quote:
I wanted to know if those who DO or HAVE owned a u-shaped dinette regretted the purchase. How would someone who never owned one have regretted the purchase.
On the other hand, how would someone who has the U-shaped dinette and "regrets" it know that the standard dinette was better, having never used it?

I think what Jim is trying to say is that there are alot of forum members who've owned several Escapes in various configurations (including him), and they have valuable insights because of that.

Tags
5.0 build, u-shape dinette