5.0 Build - Have To Think Fast! U Shape Dinette or Not? - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Me | General Topics > Shopping Escape
Click Here to Login
Register Files FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 08-02-2018, 06:32 PM   #1

Location: Lanesboro, MN, between Whalan and Fountain, Minnesota
Trailer: 2016 Bigfoot 25RQ - (2018 Escape 5.0 sold)
5.0 Build - Have To Think Fast! U Shape Dinette or Not?

On Monday we decided to cover all our bases before buying our 21'. We looked at a 5.0 and were smitten by the queen bed, no weight distribution needed, no worry about sway, and more storage among other things. On Monday afternoon we switched our build to a 5.0 and let them know if a build date came up sooner than December let us know. This morning I called in with some questions and were told we could have an October 30 build if we wanted, but had to finalize our build by next Tuesday. We need to think fast!

We'd been working on our build for the 21' so we have most of it done, but can't decide between the standard vs the u-shape dinette. We don't have animals, so that's not an issue. Does anyone regret the u-shaped dinette?

I would prefer ONLY those with a u-shape dinette answer, but know some just can't help themselves.

Enjoy,

Perry
Perry Butler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2018, 06:39 PM   #2
Site Team

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0 TA
I don't regret the u-shape in mine, but I'm usually a solo traveler. I think if I was a couple, I'd want the standard dinette with the Lagun table leg. I'd get a filler board and cushion. That would allow conversion between the two types... without the big long cushion on the back wall though.

BUT, if you're getting dual 6-volt batteries, the u-shape dinette will give you more storage as the batteries are on the back wall. It leaves the passenger side dinette cupboard completely empty. That's where I store tools and that nasty vacuum cleaner.
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2018, 06:42 PM   #3
Site Team

Trailer: 2015 19 "Past Tents", 2021 F150 Lariat 2.7L EB
Quote:
Originally Posted by Perryb67 View Post
Does anyone regret the u-shaped dinette?
Congrats on moving up your date! We have a U-shaped dinette in our 19, and I've mixed feelings about it's practicality. The 19 dinette area is considerably smaller, so I'm not sure it was a wise option for us. But in the 5.0TA, you'll have a much larger dinette area, and I think the U-shape is the way to go. You also benefit from additional underseat storage, and have a readily available lounge area when the table is removed.
Old 08-02-2018, 06:49 PM   #4

Trailer: 2019 F150 eco boost with 2017 5.0 TA in tow
We have the u shape dinette in our 5.0 TA and love it. We have had four sit at the table for dinner and no problems. But to each his own.
RicVic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2018, 07:11 PM   #5

Trailer: None, sold my 2014 5.0TA
U dinette here too. Given the 2 options I prefer the U. I like the under the rear bench storage, it's where all my self installed electronics is. For 2 of us the U works well although we don't use the rear bench for our legs and such, to much hassle with the table leg/s, I don't bend like I used to.

When we traveled with our little dog most of the rear bench was her's, which worked well. Now that she's gone we use it for kind of storage for whatever we're doing at the table. Crafts, books, laptop, that kind of stuff. I imagine it'd be on the table if it were the standard dinette.

I can't see 2 adults sitting on the back bench, but then we've not tried it. We have had grand kids back there and they had no trouble, roughly 12 year olds. I we were to have 3 or more regularly I'd want the standard dinette.

I'd have to try the standard dinette to see if we made a mistake, without doing so I'll say we made the right choice, for us.
Old 08-02-2018, 07:35 PM   #6

Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
Quote:
I would prefer ONLY those with a u-shape dinette answer, but know some just can't help themselves.
I have input, but I have to say I really don't like this exclusivity of some members. Not a nice way to play in my books. Lots of folks with the standard dinette have could have very valuable input with the reasons they went that way.

I have the U-shaped dinette. Of any option this was my toughest choice. I like the storage it provides for electronics leaving the passenger side fully open for storage. It also looks good. For these reasons I went with it.

What I don't like is that it is not great for 4 people. The back seat is too narrow to be useful, and sitting side by side the rearward person has to sit at an angle because there is not enough foot room due to the rear bench. We do have large pillows my wife made that can go in the corner and help with this, but it is not as nice as sitting up straight to the table. Also when we sit together on one side to watch a movie (have actually only done this one night so far), it would sure be nice to have good leg room for both of us.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2018, 07:46 PM   #7

Trailer: none
What type of electronics are ya'll installing in the back bench area?
Old 08-02-2018, 07:52 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Bennett View Post
I have input, but I have to say I really don't like this exclusivity of some members. Not a nice way to play in my books. Lots of folks with the standard dinette have could have very valuable input with the reasons they went that way.
Apparently you failed to comprehend my statement:
Quote:
Does anyone regret the u-shaped dinette?
I wanted to know if those who DO or HAVE owned a u-shaped dinette regretted the purchase. How would someone who never owned one have regretted the purchase.

Enjoy,

Perry
Old 08-02-2018, 08:10 PM   #9

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
Pulling a Lance and then an Escape is like night and day, even the bumper pull tow better, without weight distribution. I had several Lance trailers and 4 Escapes, so I'm speaking from experience. The w/d issue aside, the switch from 21 to the 5,0 also has some other pit falls, like little storage capacity for mats and chairs, now that your truck bed is no longer available. What is your tow vehicle you will be using.
Old 08-02-2018, 08:30 PM   #10
Site Team

Trailer: 2015 19 "Past Tents", 2021 F150 Lariat 2.7L EB
Quote:
I wanted to know if those who DO or HAVE owned a u-shaped dinette regretted the purchase. How would someone who never owned one have regretted the purchase.
On the other hand, how would someone who has the U-shaped dinette and "regrets" it know that the standard dinette was better, having never used it?

I think what Jim is trying to say is that there are alot of forum members who've owned several Escapes in various configurations (including him), and they have valuable insights because of that.
Old 08-02-2018, 08:43 PM   #11

Trailer: None, sold my 2014 5.0TA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hilola View Post
What type of electronics are ya'll installing in the back bench area?

Standard is the charger/converter, the battery/s, and the EMS if you choose it. Don't know about the ETI installations, but on mine I put the solar controller (control panel is by the entry door), inverter (control above the fridge), and associated fuses and breakers.
Old 08-02-2018, 08:53 PM   #12

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE
Quote:
Apparently you failed to comprehend my statement:

Enjoy,

Perry

You should realize that your approach is likely to turn off forum members and that when you come back with another question, I, for one, am unlikely to respond.
Old 08-02-2018, 09:04 PM   #13
Site Team

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0 TA
Quote:
Originally Posted by rbryan4 View Post
On the other hand, how would someone who has the U-shaped dinette and "regrets" it know that the standard dinette was better, having never used it?
Quote:
Originally Posted by gbaglo View Post
You should realize that your approach is likely to turn off forum members and that when you come back with another question, I, for one, am unlikely to respond.
Truth in this, you can never regret what you've never had. Bathroom threads are a prime example....

Everyone be nice... okay.
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2018, 09:08 PM   #14

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21C 2019 Expedition
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpaharley2008 View Post
Pulling a Lance and then an Escape is like night and day, even the bumper pull tow better, without weight distribution. I had several Lance trailers and 4 Escapes, so I'm speaking from experience. The w/d issue aside, the switch from 21 to the 5,0 also has some other pit falls, like little storage capacity for mats and chairs, now that your truck bed is no longer available. What is your tow vehicle you will be using.
He asked about the dinette.
Old 08-02-2018, 09:09 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpaharley2008 View Post
...... The w/d issue aside, the switch from 21 to the 5,0 also has some other pit falls, like little storage capacity for mats and chairs, now that your truck bed is no longer available. What is your tow vehicle you will be using......
The truck box is available. Don't know why you would say otherwise. This will not be our first 5th wheel and even with a Reese hitch we packed many items in the bed. Actually the owners of the 5.0 on Tuesday used an Andersen hitch in the bed with only the smallest bed on their Dodge Ram 1500 (?) and said they packed many items in the bed including their generator. We don't travel light, but neither do we haul the proverbial kitchen sink.

We will be pulling with a 2015 F150, 3.5 EB with a 6.5 bed and max tow package. We pulled our 6,300# Bigfoot with this truck with no problems. This afternoon I received measurements from another member here with the identical truck bed/Andersen hitch and I will have plenty of room for our chairs, tables, and one of our ICE trikes in the bed (the trike folds), plus numerous other items.

Enjoy,

Perry
Old 08-02-2018, 09:14 PM   #16

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21C 2019 Expedition
Quote:
On Monday we decided to cover all our bases before buying our 21'. We looked at a 5.0 and were smitten by the queen bed, no weight distribution needed, no worry about sway, and more storage among other things. On Monday afternoon we switched our build to a 5.0 and let them know if a build date came up sooner than December let us know. This morning I called in with some questions and were told we could have an October 30 build if we wanted, but had to finalize our build by next Tuesday. We need to think fast!

We'd been working on our build for the 21' so we have most of it done, but can't decide between the standard vs the u-shape dinette. We don't have animals, so that's not an issue. Does anyone regret the u-shaped dinette?

Enjoy,

Perry
We have the U and had a standard in a 17. My advice, while I don't regret the U is to get the standard with a smaller table or else possibly do that later. You can do a filler board to simulate the U and as to the storage in the back bench they just stuff electronics there that could be better stowed elsewhere IMO.
Old 08-03-2018, 12:31 AM   #17

Trailer: "The Trailer", 2nd Gen 21' & a 2017 Tundra CrewMax in Blazing Blue Pearl
Congrats on getting moved up and all that.

We went back and forth on whether to get the 5.0TA or the 21. Went with the 21 due to me needing the truck's bed space for when I haul the trailer to vending events out of town. It's a very nice trailer and one that you'll enjoy.

I was trying to decide on the u-shape as well. At the time we ordered, ETI didn't have one in their display models and another forum member nicely offered to show us theirs (in a 21). I flopped on it (warned them I would do that ahead of time) and I fell in love with it. Decision made. And one that I've never regretted.

I would suggest that you think about how you're going to use the dinette area. At the moment and probably for the next several years (if not longer), it'll be mainly me using the trailer (sans husband). I really enjoy sitting on the dinette reading and crafting. When I want to eat or craft, I put up a TV tray. If Dirk is with me or a friend, we can use the flip-up tables at the end.

If it's good weather, both crafting and eating can be done outside in our camp chairs and plastic folding table.

We did not get the table installed. Both the table and the mounting hardware (including for the post) are in the attic. We figured we could install it later if need be.

We did get two filler boards and cushions so it can be made into a bed with two boards. I keep one up all the time as you need more "rear end" room for reading and lounging than what that super skinny back piece gives ya.

I do really like how easy it is to get up from the dinette, even with the board there. My butt isn't exactly skinny these days and I found it quite awkward to get out of the regular dinette, even with the table scooted over to the side (which made it a very tight fit for the other person sitting there while you were scooting it over). I don't know if it would be easier with a smaller than normal table as I've never sat at one of those.

Dirk and I have both sat there reading at the same time - you just have to coordinate your foot movements.

Another thing I did before I knew I'd be viewing one, was to create my own u-shape dinette, using our couch (one side is a chaise) and some boxes in the same size and configuration. That really gave me a good visual on how much space I'd have and how best to use it.

Others have made their own u-shape by putting up a back board and cushion, which is a good option, especially if you don't need it all the time.

Here's a photo of how I set up the dinette area.
Attached Thumbnails
DSC05378.jpg  
NW Cat Owner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2018, 12:40 AM   #18

Trailer: 2020 Bigfoot 25RQ
Modified U

In the 2016 5.0 ta that I recently sold I had a modified U shape dinette. The original owner who sold the trailer to me while it was still at the factory had a standard dinette made. When I purchased the trailer I asked ETI if they could make it a U shaped dinette. They made the filler bench and the long back cushion. I had the standard table which could only be used if the long back cushion was removed. I added a 24” round table that could be used in either leg position.

The only part of it that I regretted was having the table leg holders in the middle of the floor. They were in my way constantly. So, when I ordered my 21 with the u shaped dinette I deleted the table leg holders on the floor and decided a Lagun table mount would work much better for that area.
Porterville, CA
Sandyb12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2018, 08:23 AM   #19

Trailer: 2015 Escape 19' (sold), Escape 5.0 as of August 2019 (sold)
We are debating the same issue. What are the dimensions of the table top for the standard dinette and the U shaped dinette in the 5.0. They are not on the Escape website. There are table top measurements listed for the 21. Are they the same for the 5.0?
JStelly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2018, 08:37 AM   #20

Trailer: 2019 5.0TA "Junior", 2019 Ram 1500 5.7 Hemi
Quote:
Originally Posted by JStelly View Post
We are debating the same issue. What are the dimensions of the table top for the standard dinette and the U shaped dinette in the 5.0. They are not on the Escape website. There are table top measurements listed for the 21. Are they the same for the 5.0?
I just went through the same process recently as we work on our 5.0TA build so I have those dimensions handy. The standard table is roughly 35 x 46, the table with the U-shaped dinette is roughly 35 x 29. The 35" (may vary slightly with each unit) is the width between the bench seats.

We found it helpful to do a mock-up at home with big cardboard cutouts to see how different table sizes felt.

Tags
5.0 build, u-shape dinette