5.0TA build sheet - spray foam? - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Me | General Topics > Shopping Escape
Click Here to Login
Register Files FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 07-25-2018, 09:19 AM   #1

Trailer: 2019 5.0TA "Junior", 2019 Ram 1500 5.7 Hemi
5.0TA build sheet - spray foam?

After many months of soaking up tons of wonderful information and advice on the forum, we're finding that doing our build sheet is pretty straightforward....except for choosing a fabric, of course

The one option I still have some questions on is the spray foam insulation underneath, so I'm asking for your input and clarification on a couple of aspects of it. We're in Texas, but do travel all over the US and have experienced our share of cold nights, but not many sub-freezing temps. I have the impression that the gray and fresh water tanks cover a fair amount of the underside of the trailer toward the back, and that the center section is pretty open with the fiberglass shell exposed in a couple of large rectangular areas, is that correct? I am thinking that foam on the tanks doesn't really add much insulating value to the trailer over what a tank of water is already doing, and we have never camped in weather cold enough to freeze our tanks. But the other floor space does seem like it would benefit from insulation, just not sure whether the foam is the way to go or if those spaces would not be too difficult to insulate with thick foam board. I view the foam insulation as helping the trailer stay comfy and am not worried about holding tanks freezing - in any case, the dump valve neck is the first thing to freeze and I don't think the foam completely covers that anyway.

The other thing new to me with this trailer is having the fresh tank mounted outside, on our old rig it was inside so fresh water freezing in cold temps was never an issue. The small supply line from the bottom of the fresh tank up to the water pump seems very exposed to me - is that prone to freezing in cold temps, making your fresh water supply inaccessible? And when you get the foam insulation, does it cover that fresh water supply line?
Old 07-25-2018, 09:41 AM   #2

Trailer: None, sold my 2014 5.0TA
I'll give it a shot

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidmurphy02 View Post
I have the impression that the gray and fresh water tanks cover a fair amount of the underside of the trailer toward the back, and that the center section is pretty open with the fiberglass shell exposed in a couple of large rectangular areas, is that correct? YES I am thinking that foam on the tanks doesn't really add much insulating value to the trailer over what a tank of water is already doing, and we have never camped in weather cold enough to freeze our tanks. But the other floor space does seem like it would benefit from insulation, just not sure whether the foam is the way to go or if those spaces would not be too difficult to insulate with thick foam board. I view the foam insulation as helping the trailer stay comfy and am not worried about holding tanks freezing - in any case, the dump valve neck is the first thing to freeze and I don't think the foam completely covers that anyway.

The other thing new to me with this trailer is having the fresh tank mounted outside, on our old rig it was inside so fresh water freezing in cold temps was never an issue. The small supply line from the bottom of the fresh tank up to the water pump seems very exposed to me - is that prone to freezing in cold temps, making your fresh water supply inaccessible? Don't know, I have the foam and it has not frozen when we've gone through cold nights with above freezing days. I would agree it looks to be a weak point for freezing. If it's going to be freezing day and night for more then 24 hrs I drain the lines and the tank. And when you get the foam insulation, does it cover that fresh water supply line? YES
The first image shows the fresh tank and the feed line, at least on my 2015. These are all just prior to getting the foam sprayed on. Don't have pics of after the foam.

Even with the foam the floor gets fairly cold, we find carpet takes care of that. Would really have to compare 2 trailers side by side, 1 with and 1 without foam, to see how much the foam really helps in both cold and hot temps. I;ve gotten the most benefit from the foam when running over road hazards. On mine, everything between the frame is covered with a couple inches of foam, again this was in 2014.
Attached Thumbnails
002.JPG   003.JPG   004.JPG   005.JPG  
Old 07-25-2018, 10:13 AM   #3

Trailer: 2017 21' Escape - upgraded version
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidmurphy02 View Post
After many months of soaking up tons of wonderful information and advice on the forum, we're finding that doing our build sheet is pretty straightforward....except for choosing a fabric, of course

The one option I still have some questions on is the spray foam insulation underneath, so I'm asking for your input and clarification on a couple of aspects of it. We're in Texas, but do travel all over the US and have experienced our share of cold nights, but not many sub-freezing temps. I have the impression that the gray and fresh water tanks cover a fair amount of the underside of the trailer toward the back, and that the center section is pretty open with the fiberglass shell exposed in a couple of large rectangular areas, is that correct? I am thinking that foam on the tanks doesn't really add much insulating value to the trailer over what a tank of water is already doing, and we have never camped in weather cold enough to freeze our tanks. But the other floor space does seem like it would benefit from insulation, just not sure whether the foam is the way to go or if those spaces would not be too difficult to insulate with thick foam board. I view the foam insulation as helping the trailer stay comfy and am not worried about holding tanks freezing - in any case, the dump valve neck is the first thing to freeze and I don't think the foam completely covers that anyway.

The other thing new to me with this trailer is having the fresh tank mounted outside, on our old rig it was inside so fresh water freezing in cold temps was never an issue. The small supply line from the bottom of the fresh tank up to the water pump seems very exposed to me - is that prone to freezing in cold temps, making your fresh water supply inaccessible? And when you get the foam insulation, does it cover that fresh water supply line?
I'm assuming that you are wanting to camp four season.

Order the Winterizing T Valve option. With it, you can put a water container inside and feed the water pump from it leaving the fresh water tank empty. We made the mistake of going to Yellowstone in May - it was whiteout snowing, the power was out at fishing bridge RV camp, and the water supply frozen. We used a 5 gal water container (it fit under the bench seat), put the hose from the t valve in it, drained the fresh water tank, and didn't have a problem. PS. don't go to Yellowstone in May unless you like to camp in below freezing temps!

Without a heat source, that thin layer of foam over the bottom of the fresh water tank isn't going to keep it from freezing very long. Also, the foam makes it a pain to work on things - find out where things are, cut out the foam, do your thing, and then refoam. The insulating board would be a lot easier to deal with if you want insulation.
http://www.escapeforum.org/forums/f8...tion-7046.html
Old 07-25-2018, 10:17 AM   #4

Location: Lanesboro, MN, between Whalan and Fountain, Minnesota
Trailer: 2016 Bigfoot 25RQ - (2018 Escape 5.0 sold)
On hot days, on a black tar pad, with sun warming up the area around our Scamp/Casita, we found the floor would heat up the camper even more. Once we went to insulated floors that phenomenon ended. We want insulation for warm weather as much as cold!

Enjoy,

Perry
Perry Butler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2018, 10:25 AM   #5

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
Had the foam on Escape #1, #2, #3 and will have it on #4- keeps it warmer and cooler. The water supply is covered, the only exposed portion of the fresh tank is the drain. The first foam were yellow, now that are spray pained black.Covers the entire under portion of the trailer and protects it from road debris.
Old 07-25-2018, 10:26 AM   #6

Trailer: 2018 Escape 21C
I guess it depends on where your at and how cold it is
We camped at 17 deg below zero in our Casita which has an uninsulatrd floor
When we woke up in the morning our shoes were frozen to the floor
Had to take a hair dryer to thaw them free
If I was going to buy an Escape I would want the insulated floor , not so much to keep the tanks from freezing but to keep my feet from freezing
If we lived in a southern state like Iowa then it would be a toss up
steve dunham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2018, 10:32 AM   #7

Trailer: 2017 21' Escape - upgraded version
Quote:
Originally Posted by steve dunham View Post
I guess it depends on where your at and how cold it is
We camped at 17 deg below zero in our Casita which has an uninsulatrd floor
When we woke up in the morning our shoes were frozen to the floor
Had to take a hair dryer to thaw them free
If I was going to buy an Escape I would want the insulated floor , not so much to keep the tanks from freezing but to keep my feet from freezing
If we lived in a southern state like Iowa then it would be a toss up
17 below? That's the time to start thinking about camping somewhere down south. Unless I screw up like on the trip to the Escape rally, I don't go north until the temps here start to go over 90 deg and come back home before the temps drop below 50. I have to wear a jacket if the temps get below 70!
Old 07-25-2018, 10:39 AM   #8

Trailer: 2018 Escape 21C
Quote:
Originally Posted by tdf-texas View Post
17 below? Unless I screw up like on the trip to the Escape rally, I don't go north until the temps here start to go over 90 deg and come back home before the temps drop below 50. I have to wear a jacket if the temps get below 70!
It’s really hard to go to or from Northern Wisconsin to the Southern US in the middle of winter
without experiencing below zero weather . We got trapped in Illinois by an 14” snowfall and
I’d rather have below zero weather
Remember we are only about 6 weeks away from our first frost
Our high temp for tomorrow is supposed to be in the mid 60’s and we will be camping and enjoying the nice weather
steve dunham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2018, 10:50 AM   #9

Trailer: 2010 Escape 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by padlin View Post
Don't have pics of after the foam.
You have at least one! Found here:
www.escapeforum.org/forums/f38/spray-foam-is-worth-getting-7272-2.html#post151967

I attached a couple of others I found too.
Attached Images

rubicon327 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2018, 11:58 AM   #10

Trailer: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by padlin View Post
I'll give it a shot

The first image shows the fresh tank and the feed line, at least on my 2015. These are all just prior to getting the foam sprayed on. Don't have pics of after the foam.

Even with the foam the floor gets fairly cold, we find carpet takes care of that. Would really have to compare 2 trailers side by side, 1 with and 1 without foam, to see how much the foam really helps in both cold and hot temps. I;ve gotten the most benefit from the foam when running over road hazards. On mine, everything between the frame is covered with a couple inches of foam, again this was in 2014.

Thanks for the photos, Bob. I didn't realize the underside of the Escapes were so exposed. Hmmm . . .
Old 07-25-2018, 12:20 PM   #11

Trailer: None, sold my 2014 5.0TA
Quote:
Originally Posted by rubicon327 View Post
You have at least one! Found here:
www.escapeforum.org/forums/f38/spray-foam-is-worth-getting-7272-2.html#post151967

I attached a couple of others I found too.
That's from 2 years ago, I'm lucky if I can remember 2 months ago. Good find.
Old 07-25-2018, 12:48 PM   #12

Trailer: 5.0TA 2017
I've had it on both my trailers i like a warm floor when its cool out. i don't work on my trailer my self besides very basic maintenance I've never been under it hope i never will. So i expect anyone who has to work under it can figure out how to work around the foam issue.
Fox hunt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2018, 04:03 PM   #13

Trailer: 2019 5.0TA "Junior", 2019 Ram 1500 5.7 Hemi
Wow - thanks everyone for such a wealth of good information, yet another example of what a wonderful group of folks participate in this forum. I was leaning towards the spray foam and now feel much better about getting it. In 15 years of travel with our old rig I never had to work underneath it, and if anything it always bothered me a bit that the skinny little tank sensor wires seemed kind of vulnerable down there - they will be covered up with foam. Having the fresh water supply line up into the trailer also encased in the foam, as well as the extra insulating and protective qualities the foam provides across the whole floor, make this an easy decision for me....thanks to all your help!
Old 07-25-2018, 04:40 PM   #14

Trailer: 2015 21ft Escape "Spirit of the Plains", 2014 GMC Sierra with max tow package
A good decision. Well worth the money and you won’t regret it. Loren
Loren & Cathy is offline   Reply With Quote