5.0TA Delivery Considerations - Page 2 - Escape Trailer Owners Community

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Me | General Topics > Shopping Escape
Click Here to Login

Old 03-10-2016, 10:15 AM   #11

Trailer: 2016 19 classic "outta sight", jeep rubicon unlimited
Only the excitement of picking up your trailer is worth a thousand! Being able to do a trip across the country another thousand! Being healthy enough to still be able to do this a grand ten thousand!

Marry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2016, 11:49 AM   #12

Trailer: 2016 Escape 5.0 TA
Thanks again!

As to Jim B's question of how familiar I am with trailers, we did own a Casita for 8 years and towed it many, many thousands miles. 2 trips down to Arkansas and back (it's called in-laws) 6 or so trips to PEI and back, and a trip to Disney world last year (which prompted us to sell the Casita and get something bigger). Throw in towing it all over New England for weekend outings, and we were very comfortable with the trailer and towing.

That being said, we have never towed a fifth wheel before, nor have we experienced delivery on a trailer. So that's where a small bit of uncertainty/fear crept in.

But it appears that the consensus is that delivery ain't no big deal, which is a relief. That means that we only have to decide on which way we will do things and the hitch (yeah, been reading the Andersen Ultimate Hitch thread. cpaharley now has confused company! )

nathanj04011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2016, 12:43 PM   #13
Site Team

Trailer: 2016 2ndGen Escape 19' PRAIRIE SCHOONER pulled by 2014 Ram Hemi/8sp
join the party....
Attached Images
File Type: gif beer.gif (19.8 KB, 168 views)
Old 03-10-2016, 12:48 PM   #14

Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
Yay! Party time!
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2016, 01:06 PM   #15

Trailer: 2014 Escape 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by nathanj04011 View Post

But it appears that the consensus is that delivery ain't no big deal, which is a relief.
That's an understatement. Considering the contrast between buying a trailer privately, kicking the tires, hooking up and going. Any info provided by the owner about towing it etc. may or may not be of value.

On the other hand, going to ETI and picking up gets you someone like Dennis who will make sure your hitch, whatever the type, is correctly installed and give you some info on using it. You get walked through all the systems and then in front of your eyes the trailer gets its' first shakedown on the trip across the border.

So, no, delivery ain't a big deal, it's a bonus.

Ron
Ron in BC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2016, 01:21 PM   #16

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0TA
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpaharley2008 View Post
join the party....
Hi: cpaharley2008... "Beauty is in the eye of the beer holder". Alf
escape artist N.S. of Lake Erie
escape artist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2016, 05:28 PM   #17

Trailer: 19' towed by a 4Runner
I went to the factory and back to New Jersey in a months time last August. Hugging I-90 we got to see a lot of stuff, but not a lot of time to explore, but it was still a fun trip. I was 40, my wife turned 32, and our daughter was 12 at the time. We did about 7,000 miles. It wasn't the ideal time frame, but it broke the girls into camping, cause they had never been. The only really downside was the cost of lodging heading out West, which I under budgeted for.

I just had shoulder surgery from a fall at work, but if I'm clear to return to duty by July, my wife says she wants to see the Grand Canyon this Summer. If driving is your thing, I say go for it. I'm glad we did because I found two issues that needed to be addressed at the factory.
GRINGOandTICA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2016, 05:40 PM   #18
Site Team

Trailer: 2016 2ndGen Escape 19' PRAIRIE SCHOONER pulled by 2014 Ram Hemi/8sp
Another observation, as pointed out by GringoandTica, is your health. A fall at work or home can incapacitate one for months, so health issues may change as we age. If healthy now, go for the brass ring as it may not be available next year.
Old 03-10-2016, 11:54 PM   #19

Trailer: 2015 21ft Escape "Spirit of the Plains", 2014 GMC Sierra with max tow package
Going to Chilliwack to pick up your trailer is a vacation in itself. Plus the fact that at ETI, everything is done to make sure you are hooked up properly and the orientation shows you the workings of your trailer. Our trip bringing the 21 back from Chilliwack is one of those great trips that we will remember fondly for a lifetime. Loren
Loren & Cathy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2016, 12:45 AM   #20

Trailer: 2015 Escape 19 "Seventy Degrees"
So, now that we've all pretty much decided that you're going to Chilliwack to pick up your trailer, what route will you take?

Greg A is offline   Reply With Quote