5.0TA Delivery Considerations - Page 2 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Me | General Topics > Shopping Escape
Click Here to Login

Old 03-11-2016, 05:59 AM   #21

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
I vote for the shortest route out and the longest route return.....
Old 03-11-2016, 06:25 AM   #22

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21' pulled with 2014 Silverado Crewcab
Going through Osoyoos is better going out. Coming back on I5 in Washington not so much. But gets you to the Coast.

"Isn't it amazing how much stuff we get done the day before vacation?"
Zig Ziglar
skiman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2016, 07:22 AM   #23

Trailer: 2016 Escape 5.0 TA
Well...actually, we had originally planned for my wife and kids to drive the truck out via Mesa Verde NP, Grand Canyon, Sequoia NP, Yosemite NP, Golden Gate, Redwoods NP, Mount Rainier NP and then to Chilliwack. That was going to take about 16 days, and some of the NP would only be for part of a day. That would roughly be 4900 miles. We were thinking of this route simply due to the fact that it would truly be a once in a lifetime trip. I would then fly out to Vancouver and make the arduous journey from there to Chilliwack.

Problem with that was that it would require a lot of nights in motels, a fair amount of gas (our "new used" Nissan Titan is a gas hog!!), and my 11 year old son could see no virtue of sitting in the truck that long. And he expresses that vocally rather often to us. Not to mention by the time I stepped of the jet, I would be met by three travel weary, tired family members who for some reason would not understand my exuberance of the adventure that lay ahead.

So after a lot of contemplation, (give or take) we decided that if they took the shortest route, going I-94 through Wisconsin and North Dakota etc, and driving 600 miles a day, they could get to Chilliwack in 6.50 days, and would be a mere 3299 miles. That would cut about 10 days and a lot of memories from the trip but would be more realistic in terms of money and fatigue.

My wife was actually ok with that, as traveling with just the kids the long way had her nervous. And, if they chose, they could get there a day before I do to recoup, and maybe even see a little of Vancouver.

The way back will be about 2 1/2 weeks, with our trip driving by Jasper and Banff, then going down to Glacier NP, then on to Yellowstone and Grand Tetons NP, then over to Devils Tower, Mount Rushmore and Badlands. Then it will be 600 miles a day back to Maine from there.

And I think that will work just fine, all things considered.

Thank you all for chiming in! Sometimes, when we discuss things privately, we get tunnel vision and don't take a moment to step back and re-look at things. All your opinions helped us do that.

We just needed to get that determined as our build sheet is due in 11 days...
nathanj04011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2016, 07:34 AM   #24

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
Please let us know what your build sheet looks like....
Old 03-11-2016, 08:47 AM   #25

Trailer: 19' towed by a 4Runner
Quote:
Originally Posted by nathanj04011 View Post
Well...actually, we had originally planned for my wife and kids to drive the truck out via Mesa Verde NP, Grand Canyon, Sequoia NP, Yosemite NP, Golden Gate, Redwoods NP, Mount Rainier NP and then to Chilliwack. That was going to take about 16 days, and some of the NP would only be for part of a day. That would roughly be 4900 miles. We were thinking of this route simply due to the fact that it would truly be a once in a lifetime trip. I would then fly out to Vancouver and make the arduous journey from there to Chilliwack.

Problem with that was that it would require a lot of nights in motels, a fair amount of gas (our "new used" Nissan Titan is a gas hog!!), and my 11 year old son could see no virtue of sitting in the truck that long. And he expresses that vocally rather often to us. Not to mention by the time I stepped of the jet, I would be met by three travel weary, tired family members who for some reason would not understand my exuberance of the adventure that lay ahead.

So after a lot of contemplation, (give or take) we decided that if they took the shortest route, going I-94 through Wisconsin and North Dakota etc, and driving 600 miles a day, they could get to Chilliwack in 6.50 days, and would be a mere 3299 miles. That would cut about 10 days and a lot of memories from the trip but would be more realistic in terms of money and fatigue.

My wife was actually ok with that, as traveling with just the kids the long way had her nervous. And, if they chose, they could get there a day before I do to recoup, and maybe even see a little of Vancouver.

The way back will be about 2 1/2 weeks, with our trip driving by Jasper and Banff, then going down to Glacier NP, then on to Yellowstone and Grand Tetons NP, then over to Devils Tower, Mount Rushmore and Badlands. Then it will be 600 miles a day back to Maine from there.

And I think that will work just fine, all things considered.

Thank you all for chiming in! Sometimes, when we discuss things privately, we get tunnel vision and don't take a moment to step back and re-look at things. All your opinions helped us do that.

We just needed to get that determined as our build sheet is due in 11 days...
Your 11 year old will do better than you might think. I did bribe at first with an iTunes gift card for my 12yr old, and don't forget the headphones. Gift shops and swimming pools helped too. Ending the day with ice cream is a nice treat. You know those penny machines that smash a penny into a memory token, bring a roll of quarters, and start that collection early. On our way home we visited one Yogi Bear park with tons on slides, think it was Indiana. It's a balancing act with the younger ones, but don't listen to the noise.
GRINGOandTICA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2016, 09:08 AM   #26

Trailer: 2016 19 classic "outta sight", jeep rubicon unlimited
Glad you two made your decision! Now on to the fun of building the build sheet. Wishing you all the best and safe travels!!
Marry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2016, 09:23 AM   #27

Trailer: 2013 Escape 21 Classic Number 6, pulled by 2018 Toyota Highlander
Coast to coast

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpaharley2008 View Post
I vote for the shortest route out and the longest route return.....
Just a couple of additional suggestions or comments from the heartland. When you get your return route tied down and your approximate projected camping stops figured in, I wouldn't hesitate to ask the forum for specific campground suggestions. You might learn and save a lot. Forum members can also give their opininion on attractions that you may contemplate visiting along the way and good places to eat. While long trips may seem to you to be a trip of a lifetime, hopefully you'll have the opportunity to revisit your favorites again and again.
Iowa Dave
Iowa Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2016, 09:19 AM   #28

Trailer: 5.0 TA - Sept. 2015, 2016 Silverado 2500 Duramax
Hi Nathan and Tammy,
Glad that you have decided to go get your new 5.0TA. I agree with all about it being a trip of a lifetime... Your kids will have fabulous memories and so will you and Tammy. The shorter way out will be great for Tammy and then you'll all make memories on the way home.....
After you are home you can come on down to NH and visit us for short trips! I'm sure we can find lots to do with your kids!
All the best....enjoy the ride!
Lucy
Joe Walsh
Charlie & Lucy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2016, 10:05 AM   #29

Trailer: 2013 Escape 21 Classic Number 6, pulled by 2018 Toyota Highlander
When you plan your route back home you might also want to check if there are any trailer rallies that you could pop in and visit. Showing off your new rig would no doubt be fun.
Dave
Iowa Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2016, 10:21 AM   #30

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0TA / 2016 Ram Eco Diesel 4X4
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iowa Dave View Post
When you plan your route back home you might also want to check if there are any trailer rallies that you could pop in and visit. Showing off your new rig would no doubt be fun.
Dave
Hi: Iowa Dave... There's one in the Niagara region and it's always the weekend after the holidays of July 1 July 4. Its called Bolerama though open to all fiberglass trailers. There's usually around 100 trailers there. All types of sites too!!! It's held at Long Beach Conservation Area on the north shore of Lake Erie. Alf
escape artist N.S. of Lake Erie
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_20150709_154907.jpg   IMG_20150711_102708.jpg  
escape artist is offline   Reply With Quote