5.0TA option questions - Page 3 - Escape Trailer Owners Community

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Me | General Topics > Shopping Escape
Click Here to Login

Old 09-25-2014, 09:42 PM   #21

Trailer: 2015 21ft Escape "Spirit of the Plains", 2014 GMC Sierra with max tow package
You have done right by getting a larger tow vehicle and you won't regret it. I don't think there has been an Escape trailer sold which hasn't ended up in the mountains or up and down some pretty good grades. That's where the good camping is at. Enjoy. Loren

Loren & Cathy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2014, 10:38 PM   #22

Trailer: 5.0TA Jan. 2015, Toyota Tundra CrewMax
Thanks everyone.

Donna, I intend to have the hitch ETI supplies installed in Chilliwack as well. I'll send them the measurements as soon as I take delivery of the truck.

Jim, that's OK about the cap. I was in the same situation with the Tacoma and previous Toyota pickups. I have a system in the garage where I lift the cap off the truck and support it from the rafters. Years ago I complained about how long it took to take the cap off so my brother timed me doing it. 60 seconds later I was done. Since then it's off or on without a second thought. Still debating a roll-up tonneau cover but there is tons of room for secure storage in the back seat. We'll see.

Loren, thanks, that was part of my thinking too.

Old 09-27-2014, 10:02 AM   #23

Trailer: 2007 Escape 5.0, 2015 F150 2.7EB
Hi Lyle

Great looking truck, no doubt you'll be happy with it, and what a great way to take off and support the cap. We nearly bought a Tundra ourselves but so far happy with the Ford.

When do you pick up your 5.0TA? Looking forward to an invite to view once you get it home!

Adrian
emers382 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2014, 10:49 AM   #24

Thanks Adrian. It's ready mid-January but we don't have definite plans for a pick up date. We're kind of wait-and-see-what-happens kind of ppl.
Old 10-02-2014, 02:55 PM   #25

I realize this may be a dumb newb question but I am a newb at this. My Tundra has an existing brake controller and a 7-pin connector but the connector is under the rear bumper where the standard hitch is located. What is the 5.0TA brake & electrical like? Is it long enough to reach the rear of the truck or do I need to get the brake controller connector rewired to the truck bed?

Any enlightenment would be appreicated.
Old 10-02-2014, 03:09 PM   #26

Trailer: 5.0 TA #6, 2012 F150 EB
Yes, the existing cord will reach down under the bumper. Or you can put an auxiliary in the bed.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMAG0212 (359 x 600).jpg (66.1 KB, 12 views)
File Type: jpg IMAG0214 (600 x 359).jpg (48.3 KB, 16 views)
Old 10-02-2014, 07:04 PM   #27

Perfect, thanks Bob.
Old 10-17-2014, 10:35 AM   #28

I hope keeping all my questions in one thread will work out OK. We're still working away on our build sheet but the finalization date is quickly approaching. I've been reading as much as I can and a few more questions have popped up for me.

First, we've ordered the exterior propane connection and it will come with a 12' hose. Do I need anything else special in order to hook up a Coleman propane stove to the hose? It usually works off the small propane bottles. How about a BBQ? Will a small BBQ just hook up to the hose as well? I've read about low pressure appliances but I don't understand which ones they are.

Second, what about the ETI supplied screen rooms? We have a big dog and need some outdoor space for her. We also want to extend our living space and where we live the mosquitoes and flying bugs are horrendous in the summer so a screen room is a necessity for us. I like the fact that the ETI screen rooms are built specifically for the trailer but I would prefer there to be roll-up window and door coverings for inclement weather. I've looked at a few options but haven't found the right size. What have others done for connected screen rooms. We are not interested in the free-standing type.

Third, I want to instal some extras when I get the trailer home and I'm wondering about accessing 12V power. For instance, LED strips in the cupboards and cubbies. My first thought was to tap into the 12V that is already there in the LED light fixtures, 12V sockets, etc. But then I read here on the Forums about adding 12V drops to different places. Is the 12V accessible from the light fixtures and sockets or do I need 12V drops added for LED strip lights? Other possible additions are a backup camera, a cell phone range extender, and... well you get the idea. I've asked for a conduit to be added along the drivers side of the unit to run from the rear dinette seating to the front closet by the bedroom but ETI tells me it can't be done because of the bathroom. I suppose I could run up the passenger side to the cupboard ahead of the door or in the loft. Is there somewhere to run wiring above the door? I don't see much detail of the doorway on the ETI website.

And lastly for this round of questions, have ppl found the standard gauge wiring for the 12V system to be adequate. I saw someone who upgraded to 14g wires but maybe that was just the 12V jacks, I'm not sure.

Thanks in advance for any input or insights.
Old 10-17-2014, 11:01 AM   #29

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0TA
Hi: iamunique127... To answer a few ?'s The propane quick connect is regulated by the trailer supply. Therefore it won't work with a regulator on the appliance. We bought a Dickinson Spitfire 180 http://www.dickinsonmarine.com just for that application. No regulator...just a hi-low flame control.(Extra charge).
With a slight mod the grille fits in the upper forward exterior compartment complete with hose attached. Thanks for reminding me... it needs cleaning B/4 storage!!!
We haven't used the aprox. 12X7' screen room yet but it has no windows just screen!!! Alf
escape artist N.S. of Lake Erie
escape artist is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2014, 11:14 AM   #30

Trailer: 2013 Escape 19 & 15B
A screen room sounds like a great idea to combat those Manitoba mosquitoes. My recollection is that they are about the size of small birds and are capable of flying away with small children.

I really like the propane quick disconnect and have both a fire bowl and a Dickinson Spitfire BBQ grill that work well with it. I understand that it is more difficult to use a Coleman grill with the propane quick disconnect. There are several previous threads on this forum discussing this issue in great detail, so you may want to do a search to find them.

"It is better to remain silent at the risk of being thought a fool, than to talk and remove all doubt of it." - 1907, Maurice Switzer
Dave Walter is offline   Reply With Quote