5.0TA option questions - Page 4 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Me | General Topics > Shopping Escape
Click Here to Login

Old 11-01-2014, 10:41 AM   #61

Trailer: 2013 Escape 15A
Send a message via Skype™ to KarenH
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chapitre View Post
With the dual propane tanks, you usually have one open and the other closed.
I must be missing something here as I leave both tanks open all the time. I thought that was the whole purpose of the auto-switchover valve...to eliminate any hiccups if one goes empty during the night or even during the day (so the refer doesn't suffer).
'22 GMC Acadia Denali
KarenH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2014, 10:50 AM   #62

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21 -- The Skylark. Towed by a 2014 Highlander
Quote:
Originally Posted by KarenH View Post
I must be missing something here as I leave both tanks open all the time. I thought that was the whole purpose of the auto-switchover valve...to eliminate any hiccups if one goes empty during the night or even during the day (so the refer doesn't suffer).
I do that too. If we are using the trailer, we probably have both tanks open. I think the whole point of the auto switchover valve is to eliminate the cold night when the tank goes empty, requiring a trip to the front to open the valve and switch it over.
LeonW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2014, 10:57 AM   #63

Trailer: 2014 5TA/ *012 17B (previous)
OK, that makes sense, maybe it was because at the ETI orientation they mentioned an indicator that shows which tank you have open, I hadn't had dual tanks on the 17 so I assumed you open one at a time.
Thanks,
'Have No Regrets'
Chapitre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2014, 11:18 AM   #64

Trailer: 2013 Escape 15A
Send a message via Skype™ to KarenH
Yes, the black hand-turn valve shows which tank you are initially pulling from, but when a red stripe shows under the green in the pop-up valve, that means it has automatically switched from that tank, which has gone empty, to the (hopefully) full one. You then hand turn the black valve over to the full tank, close the empty one and get it filled.
'22 GMC Acadia Denali
KarenH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2014, 11:18 AM   #65

Trailer: 2017 Escape 21C, 2018 Ford F150
The only reason for leaving one valve open & one closed is if you don't notice the indicator, it is easy to drain both tanks. It could even happen when you are 30 miles from the nearest propane source at 30°F (don't ask me how I know!)
Old 11-01-2014, 11:22 AM   #66

Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
Quote:
With the dual propane tanks, you usually have one open and the other closed. If you use the "y" type valve to run your barbeque/campstove - do you just open up both tanks?
With an auto-changeover regulator, there is no need to keep one tank valve closed. If you leave them both open, the trailer's regulator will draw from only one tank at a time.

Quote:
I'm just wondering how the trailer runs on propane vs the tank you are using for the BQ/stove?
The tee fitting goes between a tank (whichever one you want) and the hose to the regulator. That tank valve must be open, and the propane to the barbecue or stove will come only from that tank. There should be no problem if the outside barbecue and/or stove and the trailer regulator happen to use propane from the same tank at the same time - that's the point of using a tee fitting instead of just disconnecting the hose to the regulator and connecting one to the barbecue.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2014, 11:51 AM   #67

Trailer: 2015 5.0TA, Toyota Tundra CrewMax
Today is our finalization date. We're happy with our build sheet and the choices we made.

Some personalized choices we made:

-3 additional 12V outlets inside and one outside.

-4 12V drops inside cupboards for future LED lights

-2 additional switches at the door- one for interior lights, one for rear and driver's side exterior LEDs

-run power wire and ground from rear window to centre pin of 7-pin connector for rear view camera (camera to be installed later, operation controlled by a switch in the TV)

-instal Oxygenics shower head

-counter extensions at door and one on each side of dinette

-custom counter and fabric

-no valences

Now to start collecting furnishings, accessories, etc. Mrs. iamunique127 will do the kitchen stuff, I'll do the other stuff. Already have wheel chocks, an outside table, 10 lb. propane tank recertified. Need to get: water regulator, water filter, water hose, tank wand, etc.

We've been looking at BBQs too and like the looks of the Dickinson Small Sea-B-Que and the Napolean Marine Portable Gas Grill. They are similarly sized so will fit in our carry hatch above the propane, both stainless steel, one burner, both made in Canada and can be run directly off the seperate 10 lb. tank. The Napolean is 9,000 BTUs and made of all 304 stainless including the wire grill, the Dickinson is 10,000 BTUs, unspecified grade of stainless and has a porcelin grill. We are still thinking on that choice.

There is a wealth of information on buying a BBQ at AmazingRibs.com that I'm finding extremely useful in looking for a grill.
Old 11-01-2014, 02:51 PM   #68

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21 -- The Skylark. Towed by a 2014 Highlander
I like the idea of not having valences. I think it would make for a slightly cleaner look on the inside.
LeonW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2015, 10:25 AM   #69

Trailer: 2015 5.0TA
Quote:
Originally Posted by sleepy View Post
We had the axle installed to match the height of our truck- a 3/4 ton Silverado. As per ETI.
We didn't go with a spray on liner to protect the front- we are going to wait and see.
We drive many KM's on rough gravel roads- so far no chip damage- the closeness of the trailer to the truck seems to mean the thrown rock chips are ending up underneath, and not hitting the front end of the trailer. We did opt for the spray foam, to protect the underside.
Sleepy, To fit your TV height, were the axles mounted under the spring? I just bought a 3/4 ton RAM and it is 5" taller than my old TV. I might have to flip the axle mount from above the sping to under to adjust the height.
phlbua is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2015, 12:07 PM   #70

Trailer: 5.0 TA #9
Quote:
Originally Posted by phlbua View Post
Sleepy, To fit your TV height, were the axles mounted under the spring? I just bought a 3/4 ton RAM and it is 5" taller than my old TV. I might have to flip the axle mount from above the sping to under to adjust the height.
My spring is mounted under the axle. IOW the axle is mounted over.
sleepy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2015, 12:31 PM   #71

Trailer: 2015 5.0TA
Quote:
Originally Posted by sleepy View Post
My spring is mounted under the axle. IOW the axle is mounted over.
Thanks Sleepy.
phlbua is offline   Reply With Quote