5 Person in 21 Escape - Escape Trailer Owners Community

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Me | General Topics > Shopping Escape
Click Here to Login

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 
Old 05-28-2018, 11:30 AM   #1
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2018
Location: Burien, Washington
Trailer: NA
Posts: 1
5 Person in 21 Escape

We love Escape trailers but are wondering if they are right for our family of 5. We know we can get a 19 with a gaucho bunk, however the 21 seems to have more kitchen space which I know would come in handy as we are all moving around the trailer. Our three kids are young now, but we want this to last until they are in their early teens at least. Has anyone traveled with 5 in a 21 foot trailer, and if so what sleeping configuration worked for you?
__________________

atarabochia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2018, 12:01 PM   #2
Site Team
 
rbryan4's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Location: Canyon Lake, Texas
Trailer: 2015 19 "Past Tents", 2018 F150 2.7L Ecoboost
Posts: 9,360
Quote:
Originally Posted by atarabochia View Post
We love Escape trailers but are wondering if they are right for our family of 5. We know we can get a 19 with a gaucho bunk, however the 21 seems to have more kitchen space which I know would come in handy as we are all moving around the trailer. Our three kids are young now, but we want this to last until they are in their early teens at least. Has anyone traveled with 5 in a 21 foot trailer, and if so what sleeping configuration worked for you?
The interior space is important, but largely depends on how much time you spend inside vs outside. The 21 sleeps 4. That's just what it is. If having a some of the kids sleep in a tent outside is not an option, I personally don't see a 21 as a good fit.
__________________

__________________
"You can't buy happiness, but you can buy an RV. And that is pretty close."
rbryan4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2018, 12:36 PM   #3
Senior Member
 
Marry's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2015
Location: Ponoka, Alberta
Trailer: 2016 19 classic "outta sight", jeep rubicon unlimited
Posts: 1,569
The floor plans are totally different. Yes, the counter space in a 19 is less, but does it's job. The advantage of the 19 is that the dinette is in the front, which keeps kids traffic away from kitchen area. In the 21 they have to pass kitchen area in order to get to the dinette.
Your best bet is to see both trailers, and it's layout, in person. You might be surprised with what you find out.
__________________
"never lose hope, never lose faith"
Marry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2018, 01:37 PM   #4
Junior Member
 
patchy_22's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2016
Location: Edmonton, Alberta
Trailer: 2006 Escape 17C - Custom Painted
Posts: 14
Good question! I've wondered the same thing too. I've met other Escape owners, and also prospective owners, who all love the size of the 21, but shy away due to limited sleeping spaces. A 21 could do 2 adults and 2 small children only. As kids get into their teens, I'm not sure if they would want to share a bed, or if it would even be a good idea....

I wonder if Escape has ever considered making a 21 without a bathroom? I sketched it out once, and if you deleted the bathroom there would probably be room to rotate the bed of a 21' 90, delete the drawer stack, and put a 2 person dinette on the driver's side. I'll try to attach my rough drawing. What do those of you on the forum think? Personally, I have never camped with my own bathroom, and wouldn't miss it.... we always camp in campgrounds with good bathroom facilities. And if you needed, a good quality portable/cassette toilet and outdoor shower could make up for a deleted permanent bathroom in a pinch. Thoughts?

Custom Escape w measurements c.jpg

My wife and I just got a 2006 17', this spring and we absolutely love it! First trip will be a weekend to the mountains in a couple of weeks
patchy_22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2018, 01:51 PM   #5
Senior Member
 
gbaglo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: North Vancouver, British Columbia
Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B - "Toad". '08 Toyota RAV4 V6
Posts: 12,922
Quote:
Originally Posted by patchy_22 View Post
As kids get into their teens, I'm not sure if they would want to share a bed, or if it would even be a good idea....

As kids get into their teens, they don't want to sleep in the same trailer as you. Most move outside to a tent. A room of their own.
__________________
2009 Escape 17B "Toad"
2008 Toyota RAV4 V6 Sport
North Vancouver, British Columbia

What happens to the hole when the cheese is gone?
- Bertolt Brecht
gbaglo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2018, 01:53 PM   #6
Site Team
 
Donna D.'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Portland, Oregon
Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0 TA
Posts: 8,078
You can never miss what you've never had.



Now that I've owned two all-molded towables and both had full bathrooms, I'll never be without.
__________________
Donna D.
Ten Forward
2014 Escape 5.0TA
Donna D. is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2018, 01:54 PM   #7
Junior Member
 
patchy_22's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2016
Location: Edmonton, Alberta
Trailer: 2006 Escape 17C - Custom Painted
Posts: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by gbaglo View Post
As kids get into their teens, they don't want to sleep in the same trailer as you. Most move outside to a tent. A room of their own.
Yes, this is totally true. (unless you're in bear country, which we sometimes camp in)

I'm 32 and my wife is 30 and we don't have kids yet. We will have lots to learn one day If I order a new 21' one day I would only hope to future-proof it as much as possible with my custom layout idea. Even without kids, my layout would allow a permanent dinette for 2, permanent lounge in the rear, and bed up front.....
patchy_22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2018, 02:01 PM   #8
Site Team
 
rbryan4's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Location: Canyon Lake, Texas
Trailer: 2015 19 "Past Tents", 2018 F150 2.7L Ecoboost
Posts: 9,360
Quote:
Originally Posted by patchy_22 View Post
I wonder if Escape has ever considered making a 21 without a bathroom? I sketched it out once, and if you deleted the bathroom there would probably be room to rotate the bed of a 21' 90, delete the drawer stack, and put a 2 person dinette on the driver's side. I'll try to attach my rough drawing. What do those of you on the forum think? Personally, I have never camped with my own bathroom, and wouldn't miss it.... we always camp in campgrounds with good bathroom facilities. And if you needed, a good quality portable/cassette toilet and outdoor shower could make up for a deleted permanent bathroom in a pinch. Thoughts?
I like it Chris. The idea of a "21A" has been discussed before. One of the difficulties would be that the factory would have to come up with all the modified components and build process, and justify the cost and time in doing so because there's a demand. There's only one "A" model on the site, the 17A, mainly because they sell them.

You could make a case for "if you build it they will come" I suppose.
__________________
"You can't buy happiness, but you can buy an RV. And that is pretty close."
rbryan4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2018, 02:10 PM   #9
Junior Member
 
patchy_22's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2016
Location: Edmonton, Alberta
Trailer: 2006 Escape 17C - Custom Painted
Posts: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by rbryan4 View Post
I like it Chris. The idea of a "21A" has been discussed before. One of the difficulties would be that the factory would have to come up with all the modified components and build process, and justify the cost and time in doing so because there's a demand. There's only one "A" model on the site, the 17A, mainly because they sell them.

You could make a case for "if you build it they will come" I suppose.
Yes, for sure. Playing around in MS Paint is the easy part. It would be quite labour intensive for Escape to re-engineer everything, although with my design I tried to leave as much of the existing cabinetry and layout intact as possible. I also think that there would be reasonable demand for something like this, as many people don't want to deal with emptying a black water tank. My design would also make the trailer seem roomier and brighter with an extra window, and no walls blocking off a dedicated bathroom area.....
patchy_22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2018, 02:20 PM   #10
Site Team
 
rbryan4's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Location: Canyon Lake, Texas
Trailer: 2015 19 "Past Tents", 2018 F150 2.7L Ecoboost
Posts: 9,360
Quote:
Originally Posted by patchy_22 View Post
Yes, for sure. Playing around in MS Paint is the easy part. It would be quite labour intensive for Escape to re-engineer everything, although with my design I tried to leave as much of the existing cabinetry and layout intact as possible. I also think that there would be reasonable demand for something like this, as many people don't want to deal with emptying a black water tank. My design would also make the trailer seem roomier and brighter with an extra window, and no walls blocking off a dedicated bathroom area.....
Since we're just speculating, if it were me, I'd probably nix or narrow the microwave cabinet, move the side dinette toward the rear more, and have a full queen permanent bed up front that's at least 60 inches wide.
__________________

__________________
"You can't buy happiness, but you can buy an RV. And that is pretty close."
rbryan4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
21 ft, 5 person

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off






» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Disclaimer:

This website is not affiliated with or endorsed by Escape Trailer Industries or any of its affiliates. This is an independent, unofficial site.



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:44 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Copyright 2012 Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.