8 ? about 2017 21’ pole, valances, jacket hooks, 120v outlet by stove, side tables - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Me | General Topics > Shopping Escape
Click Here to Login

Old 05-01-2016, 06:47 PM   #1

Trailer: 2017-21' Escape (sold) Casita 17' (sold)
Question 8 ? about 2017 21’ pole, valances, jacket hooks, 120v outlet by stove, side tables

Hi all

8 ? about 2017 21’ pole, valances, jacket hooks, 120v outlet by the stove, pop up tables.

I have been pouring over the build sheet, and reading many It’s Friday posts, and looking at dozens of It’s Friday photos.

We will be getting a 2107 21’. It is ordered.
We will NOT be getting the U-shaped dinette.

Yes I know that mid May 2016 interior photos of the 2017 19’ will be released, and from that I can extrapolate much of how the 2017 21’ interior will look. :-)

A few more questions for all the wise 21’ owners out there.

1) why is there a chrome pole by the sink on the 21’?
I assume it is a “hand grab” for entry into the Escape 21’?

2) Is it structural?

3) can it be omitted without negative consequence?

4) I’m not a fan of having dinette fabric pattern on the window valances.
We will get the frameless thermal windows all around.
Does anyone know what color the interior frame metal will be ? Black?
If so… I assume I could provide black fabric for the window valances?

5) Has anyone done “ black fabric for the window valances” and how does it look? Any downsides?

6) I think we’ll not get the optional cubbies just outside the bathroom door, but instead put Umbra hooks at about 6’ high, and mother Umbra hook about 3’ high… and use those for hanging jackets / headlamps / hats.
Has anyone done this, and how well does that work out?
Note - my wife and I do NOT want to hang that stuff in the bed area at all.

7) In the kitchen we’ll leave the stock 120v outlet where it is, but would like to add another (in a similar place to that) but as far aft as possible, so in other words just below the 2 stove burners. (with the stove turned sideways, to gain more counter space)
We’ll keep a wooden cutting board (with short legs) over the stove, and will keep coffee grinder & blender in that area.
Has anyone put a 120v outlet there? Is there clearance between cabinet upper face and stove top guts?

8) We will not get the U shaped dinette, and we’ll have ETI install a hybrid Springfield pedestal / Dicor slide combo. :-)
We want to add a pop up side table in the dinette area -either just aft of the stove, or aft of the fridge.

I’m a little concerned about clearance for using the dinette when these pop up side tables are in the down position…. in terms of getting in and out of the dinette. I know they eat up only a few inches when down….. but….. I’m wider than I once was. ;-)

Should I be Ok with the hybrid Springfield pedestal / Dicor slide combo to just slide the table a bit to passenger side or driver side to get enough space to slide into the bench?

thanks!
Losangeles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2016, 07:53 PM   #2

Trailer: "The Trailer", 2nd Gen 21' & a 2017 Tundra CrewMax in Blazing Blue Pearl
Window Frames

In my photo heavy post I did about seeing the inside and outside of the raw 2017 19' trailer, you can see that the inside window frame is black. I've attached one of those photos here.

Here's the thread's link in case you missed seeing it:

http://www.escapeforum.org/forums/f4...iler-7475.html
Attached Thumbnails
DSC04057-1.jpg  
NW Cat Owner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2016, 07:57 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by NW Cat Owner View Post
In my photo heavy post I did about seeing the inside and outside of the raw 2017 19' trailer, you can see that the inside window frame is black. I've attached one of those photos here.

Here's the thread's link in case you missed seeing it:

http://www.escapeforum.org/forums/f4...iler-7475.html
Thanks so much..... that is an awesome thread you posted.

and thanks for the reminder that the 2017 thermal inside frames are black.

need a 3rd coffee, daily.
Old 05-01-2016, 07:59 PM   #4

Trailer: 2015 21'; 2011 19' sold; 4Runner; ph ninezero3 327-27ninefour
The pole is structural and cannot be omitted and is not a hand grab. Doubt they would recommend using it as a hand grab. I would not. We have added an extra handle inside the door, opposite side from the exterior one.

You will have to ask ETI about exact placement of electrical outlets to see whether they will do that placement.
float5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2016, 08:06 PM   #5

Trailer: 2012 15A
We used a black vinyl type fabric for our cushions and the valances.
I have a lot of photos of the interior before the valances were installed but unfortunately non afterwards.
I assume that the frames (only frame-less in name as the glass covers the frame on the outside) are black on the inside. NW Cat Owner posted pictures of the inside of an unfinished 17 which showed the windows from the inside without the vinyl liner installed.

We really like the look of the black valances and it does go good with the black window frames.
JohnB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2016, 08:09 PM   #6

Trailer: "The Trailer", 2nd Gen 21' & a 2017 Tundra CrewMax in Blazing Blue Pearl
Window Valences

I also forgot to mention that I've seen photos of the valences done in different colors than dinette fabric. I think they were both custom ordered fabric, but I don't see why you couldn't keep their standard (if you like it; who knows if it's changing) and add your own choice of fabric for the valences. You'd have to ask ETI how much would be needed and what the additional cost would be. I can't remember if the build sheet mentions the yardage needed for the valences or I got it in an email from them. I just remember seeing it once, but forgot about it since I didn't need to retain that bit of information.
Old 05-01-2016, 08:10 PM   #7

Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Losangeles View Post
2) Is it structural?

3) can it be omitted without negative consequence?

8) We will not get the U shaped dinette, and we’ll have ETI install a hybrid Springfield pedestal / Dicor slide combo. :-)
We want to add a pop up side table in the dinette area -either just aft of the stove, or aft of the fridge.
:
Yes

No

Did Escape say they would install this pedestal slide combo? Seeing you need to customize the pedestal, I would be surprised if they would. You could always ask, or just have them build the top and do the install yourself.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2016, 08:26 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Bennett View Post
Yes

No

Did Escape say they would install this pedestal slide combo? Seeing you need to customize the pedestal, I would be surprised if they would. You could always ask, or just have them build the top and do the install yourself.
No.

However ...

I was going to do the mod myself then supply it as "ready to install"

It is my understanding that they will install a pedestal.

I would trust them far more than I trust myself.

Old 05-01-2016, 08:41 PM   #9

Trailer: 2017 Escape 21 "LollyPop" June 12, 2017, sold Coleman pop up
I know that I have seen it said on the forum that ETI installed their springfield pedestal. And I believe they said it was done at their delivery and orientation.
casejh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2016, 08:44 PM   #10
Site Team

Trailer: 2015 19 "Past Tents", 2021 F150 Lariat 2.7L EB
Escape will install the pedestal. But, it's a really easy install if you want to do it after the fact.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 05-01-2016, 09:14 PM   #11

Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
Quote:
I was going to do the mod myself then supply it as "ready to install"
I bet if you did this, and had it ready to just install in the trailer when picking up, they would do that. It is just the cutting down of the top of the pedestal they may balk at.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2016, 09:14 PM   #12

Trailer: Escape 21', "Cardinals' Nest"
Quote:
Hi all

1) why is there a chrome pole by the sink on the 21’?
I assume it is a “hand grab” for entry into the Escape 21’?

6) I think we’ll not get the optional cubbies just outside the bathroom door, but instead put Umbra hooks at about 6’ high, and mother Umbra hook about 3’ high… and use those for hanging jackets / headlamps / hats.
Has anyone done this, and how well does that work out?
Note - my wife and I do NOT want to hang that stuff in the bed area at all.

1) We use the 'stripper pole' as a steadying hand grab, but for really pulling on, we had Escape install a second hand grab on the other side of the door.

2) We also concluded that just outside the bathroom door was the best place for us to hang jackets, etc, so we didn't get the Escape-made cubbies. Instead we bought the half-height cubbies from Tractors1 and had him install them, leaving room for the (now discontinued) 6-hook Umbra vertical hooks near the 6' height. We're really happy that we didn't get the Escape cubbies – this way we have a place for our jackets plus storage for things we want to pick up on our way out the door – which is still evolving.

Art and Kathy
Art M. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2016, 09:51 PM   #13
Site Team

8 ? about 2017 21’ pole, valances, jacket hooks, 120v outlet by stove, side tables

The so-called "stripper pole" in the 21 is not there as a hand grab (although it is often used for that) but a structural support. The upper cabinets have to span quite a distance with no bulkhead to attach to, so the pole provides more support on the upper cabinet end.

Old 05-01-2016, 10:02 PM   #14

Thank you all for all your great info... I am so happy to have almost all my answers in about 3 hours.

My only remaining question is for owners of a 21' who don't have the U shaped dinette.... but who do have at least one small pop up table in the dinette area

-either just aft of the stove, or aft of the fridge.

I’m a little concerned about clearance for using the dinette when these pop up side tables are in the down position…. in terms of getting in and out of the dinette. I know they eat up only a few inches when down….. but….. I’m wider than I once was. ;-)

Should I be Ok with the hybrid Springfield pedestal / Dicor slide combo to just slide the table a bit to passenger side or driver side to get enough space to slide into the bench?

thanks.
Old 05-01-2016, 10:35 PM   #15

Trailer: 2017 Escape 21 "LollyPop" June 12, 2017, sold Coleman pop up
Art, can you send more info or a link on the half height cubbies from Tractors1 that you mentioned?
casejh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2016, 12:33 AM   #16

Update - thanks to the nice folks on this forum I was able to determine that as we are NOT getting the U Shaped dinette - on our 2017 21' there isn't much reason to get a Dicor slide.

My only remaining question is for owners of a 21' who don't have the U shaped dinette.... but who do have at least one small pop up table in the dinette area

-either just aft of the stove, or aft of the fridge.

Should I be Ok with the Springfield pedestal to just slide the table a bit to passenger side or driver side to get enough space to slide into the bench?

thanks.
Old 07-15-2016, 01:15 AM   #17
Site Team

8 ? about 2017 21’ pole, valances, jacket hooks, 120v outlet by stove, side tables

The short answer is yes, John. The flip up tables are great if you need more counter space, but I don't really see a need for them at the dinette. In a 21, I might consider adding one near the bed, on the side of the bathroom wall. Handy for a drink while you're lounging.

Old 07-15-2016, 08:21 AM   #18
Site Team

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0 TA
The only time I think the flip ups are valuable in the dinette, is if you don't have a table at all! Like me, in my u-shape dinette. If you're thinking you need one, when in bed mode for a place to put glasses or a phone... I think you'd be better off putting those in a overhead cupboard over the bed. YMMV
Donna D. is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2016, 10:50 AM   #19
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donna D. View Post
The only time I think the flip ups are valuable in the dinette, is if you don't have a table at all! Like me, in my u-shape dinette. If you're thinking you need one, when in bed mode for a place to put glasses or a phone... I think you'd be better off putting those in a overhead cupboard over the bed. YMMV
Yep, a great arrangement if you decide to forego a table. Solo camper? That works.
Old 07-15-2016, 11:35 AM   #20

Another thought on the flip up table in the dinette. Are you getting the stock formica? If so, I'm sure ETI has a bunch of those tables already made. You could hold one in position when you pick up and see if it works for you. If so, hand over some more moolah and get them to install it right then and there, during orientation. If they'll do this, of course. You'll have to ask.

If you're getting custom formica, well then, that option won't work.

Personally, though, if I had the table installed for use all (or most) of the time, I wouldn't get 'em. Even with the table slide to the side, it can be a tight fit for those that aren't in the skinny-butt department (not that I know anything about that - HA!).

You won't really need them while sitting at the dinette as you'll have the table there. You also won't need them for extra counter space while preparing meals as you'll have the table to use, plus the one at the other end of the kitchen counter (by the door). And if you really need more prep room - plunk stuff on the bed or on top of the cabinet by the end of the bed.

We're getting 'em as we're getting the u-shape dinette to be used for lounging and such. We're getting the table, however it won't be installed nor will the support thingies for the floor. It's gonna be stored in the attic for when/if the trailer gets sold on to another owner and they might want it. I know we won't.