A/C and TV antenna before/after - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Me | General Topics > Shopping Escape
Click Here to Login

Old 01-15-2017, 10:43 AM   #1

Trailer: Escape 17B - Sept 2017
A/C and TV antenna before/after

I presently have both the AC and jack antenna on my built sheet. I know it's a matter of personal camping style/location in deciding on these options. If I don't get them now I will have the trailer prewired for later installation (17B). What I am curious about is whether it is a big production to add these items later if prewired?
parfsten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2017, 10:48 AM   #2

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
I dropped antenna as I hardly used over the air in my last 2 Escape, if we camped for any length of time there was cable, so I just got cable ready option. Definite on a/c though,
Old 01-15-2017, 10:53 AM   #3

Trailer: 2017 21 "Blue II" & 2017 Highlander XLE (previously 2010 17B "Blue" & 2008 Tacoma)
Maybe someone who has done the prewire and then added the AC later might have more accurate info, but I would maybe inquire at a local RV place and ask them what they would charge for both the AC and the install. My guess is that it will be more than what ETI charges.
Jack antenna prewire I had not heard of, are you sure they will do that? Many people (including us) get the TV ready option. That gives you a coax outlet on the outside of the trailer and if we end up wanting an antenna we will use one on a pole on the bumper. So far in our use of the 17B we almost never used it - just a couple of times and only because we were in a boring commercial site and they had cable connections right on the power pole.

"Beware of false knowledge; it is more dangerous than ignorance." George Bernard Shaw
thoer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2017, 10:53 AM   #4

Trailer: Escape 17B - Sept 2017
Do you think it would an ordeal to install AC after if the trailer is prewired Jim?
parfsten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2017, 11:00 AM   #5

Trailer: 2015 Escape 5.0TA (Little Elsie) Extensively Personalized
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpaharley2008 View Post
I dropped antenna as I hardly used over the air in my last 2 Escape, if we camped for any length of time there was cable, so I just got cable ready option. Definite on a/c though,
Jim, I know you generally stop at KOAs and most have cable. We personally avoid KOAs because we prefer not to "Kamp on Asphalt" or have to listen to the screaming and yelling of "Kids of America." But I can tell you only about 15% to 25% of private campgrounds have cable, and I have yet to stay in any state park that provided cable. So I would suggest that if the OP likes to watch TV, installing the antenna is a good idea. That way, if cable is not available, at least there is a way to have a signal.

And installing A/C after it is preformed would likely be more expensive. I'm not sure if ETI installs the digital thermostat on a pereira job, but the digital thermostat is definitely desirable.
Old 01-15-2017, 11:22 AM   #6

Trailer: 2013 Esc19/'14 Silvrado
To be clear, AC means alternating current, (shore power), and A/C means air conditioner. Two very different things. The trailer will be pre-wired for the roof air conditioner whether or not you add one to your build list. Always nice to have more than one AC outlet.

I say get the TV-ready option. Works for your add-on bumper antenna and, for a KOA cable connection. Better (cheaper) to have and not need, than...etc.
Old 01-15-2017, 01:08 PM   #7

Trailer: New 21 Escape (not classic)10/16 Sold Lil Snoozy 7/16
A/C

I would get A/C for sure and just pre -wire cable .If doing it again I would find out from Dish/tv what kind of cable they need to run there cable box with their little cable antenna then have ETI install that (quad core ) I think its a heavy cable with better insulation ? .
jennykatz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2017, 01:09 PM   #8

Trailer: 2017 Escape 19' #2
We decided to drop the antenna this time around too and just go with the TV ready. We could never pick up any channels when we wanted to watch it. I purchased a Leaf type antenna which we used in our Casita if we are close enough to be receive TV signals.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

This is the orgional Leaf antenna.

HDTV Antenna - Leaf Ultimate Indoor HDTV Antenna | Mohu

Trailer should be prewired for A/C except maybe for the digital thermostat wires which would be a big loss not to have if you were adding A/C anyway. It controls both the A/C and funance and is much nicer than the standard controls.
Old 01-15-2017, 01:11 PM   #9

Trailer: pondering.....
Quote:
Originally Posted by MyronL View Post
To be clear, AC means alternating current, (shore power), and A/C means air conditioner. Two very different things. The trailer will be pre-wired for the roof air conditioner whether or not you add one to your build list. Always nice to have more than one AC outlet.

I say get the TV-ready option. Works for your add-on bumper antenna and, for a KOA cable connection. Better (cheaper) to have and not need, than...etc.
where is the exterior cable outlet located on a trailer?
RG6 cable?
freespirit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2017, 01:14 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by freespirit View Post
where is the exterior cable outlet located on a trailer?
RG6 cable?
Depends on the model but on the drivers side somewhere.
Old 01-15-2017, 01:38 PM   #11

Trailer: 2017 Escape 21C, 2018 Ford F150
Quote:
Originally Posted by parfsten View Post
I presently have both the AC and jack antenna on my built sheet. I know it's a matter of personal camping style/location in deciding on these options. If I don't get them now I will have the trailer prewired for later installation (17B). What I am curious about is whether it is a big production to add these items later if prewired?
It might be worth checking with Escape on adding a Jack Antenna after the build. I vaguely remember them mentioning that some blocking had to be installed during the build. If so, and there is any possibility of you adding one, I'd check to see if it can be "pre" blocked...
Old 01-15-2017, 02:16 PM   #12

Trailer: None, sold my 2014 5.0TA
I don't think TV ready means is ready to accept an antenna at a later date, think it just means the cable connection like Jim has. Never heard of someone getting TV antenna ready so you may be the first to ask. Folks have done A/C ready, which I believe precludes the use of the digital thermostat at a later date. From what I understand adding A/C to a trailer that's A/C ready is no big deal, other then the price, as the wiring, hole, and the internal reinforcing are already done.
Old 01-15-2017, 02:56 PM   #13

TV/Cable ready gives you a cable connection outside and a inside connection for your TV and a 115 volt outlet for $125.
Old 01-15-2017, 04:15 PM   #14

Trailer: 2017 21 "Blue II" & 2017 Highlander XLE (previously 2010 17B "Blue" & 2008 Tacoma)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kountrykamper View Post
TV/Cable ready gives you a cable connection outside and a inside connection for your TV and a 115 volt outlet for $125.
Or with a 12V DC outlet instead of the 120V for $100.

"Beware of false knowledge; it is more dangerous than ignorance." George Bernard Shaw
thoer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2017, 04:16 PM   #15

That is the route I chose for Prairie Schooner, I did not opt for the antenna as most cg's have cable.
Old 01-15-2017, 04:22 PM   #16

Trailer: None, sold my 2014 5.0TA
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpaharley2008 View Post
That is the route I chose for Prairie Schooner, I did not opt for the antenna as most cg's have cable.
We're in our 10th campground this trip, 1 has had cable.
Old 01-15-2017, 07:40 PM   #17

Bob,
Did you forget to check the cable upgrade box when you signed up for your cruise?......
Old 01-15-2017, 08:11 PM   #18

Trailer: 2015 Escape 5.0TA (Little Elsie) Extensively Personalized
Quote:
Originally Posted by padlin View Post
We're in our 10th campground this trip, 1 has had cable.
Bob,
Less than 25% of campgrounds having cable hook-ups has been my experience, also. And of the few that do, a good percentage of them have cable reception that is marginal at best.
Old 01-15-2017, 09:26 PM   #19

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE
I hooked up to the cable at Nk'Mip and turned on the TV. It began "Memorizing Channels" sequence. Twenty minutes later it was still memorizing channels and Jim Bennett had distracted me with a beer. That's as close as I got to watching TV.
Old 01-16-2017, 05:36 AM   #20

Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
Quote:
Originally Posted by gbaglo View Post
I hooked up to the cable at Nk'Mip and turned on the TV. It began "Memorizing Channels" sequence. Twenty minutes later it was still memorizing channels and Jim Bennett had distracted me with a beer. That's as close as I got to watching TV.
You're welcome!
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote