A Life Story. Oh and Some New Buyer Questions Too!! - Page 9 - Escape Trailer Owners Community

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Me | General Topics > Shopping Escape
Click Here to Login

Old 07-15-2015, 08:52 PM   #81

Trailer: 2016 Escape 5.0 TA
Yeah, I've enjoyed my story too. Fun to embellish here and there to provide a bit of lightheartedness. Heaven knows you're glad not to be me! I really was a little surprised at how this turned into a thread mostly about towing. I guess you all could sense the utter danger I contemplating...

It has been informative, insightful, discouraging, amusing and hopeful. Last night I decided since TV was boring, to do what I know best...no, not be a whiner...number-crunch! So I fired up the computer, started the spreadsheet and typed and typed and typed. I used the FJ manual, and the door sticker as my reference, as well as the "real world" dry weight of the 21' given earlier in the thread. This is the gist of it:

GCVWR - 9500 lbs.
GVWR - 5570 lbs.
Max Capacity - 1190 lbs (including tongue weight)
Tongue Weight - 500 lbs.
Curb Weight - 4380 lbs.

21' Dry - 3600 lbs.
Stuff we are going to have in the trailer- 466 lbs.
Total trailer weight - 4066 lbs.

The maximum capacity we will add to the FJ - 1170 lbs

So in my mostly befuddled mind, this is how it thinks (Freud would have a ball with my mind for sure!).

Curb Weight 4380
Cargo/Passengers 1170 (includes tongue weight)
Trailer with all stuff 4066
Totals 9616

Man, thats so close I can taste it. Of course, I used the 21' and went liberal with some weights, so I just need to diet 116 pounds and we will be under the GCVWR, according to my fuzzy logic.

Here's some more story. So last night I dragged my wife (not literally, cave men went extinct in the 60's!) to see that wonderful 2010 Ford F-150 Lariat that had a GCVWR of a mere 14,000, and a honking big V-8 engine, was loaded with every creature comfort a creature could want, was a beautiful white...oh, the miles again? Why ruin my bliss? 127,500. What was the price? $21,800. Rust? "Oh, every vehicle in Maine will have some rust" the sales guy assured me. "uh, not my Toyota" I replied. "Da-- Toyota" I think I heard him mutter. So we drove it. Dreamy. Really.

My wife disappeared inside the FJ while I went in to wear him down. Or was it the other way around? He asked me what it would it take for me to drive it off the lot. I gave him my best, unflinching Clint Eastwood stare and said "an even trade for my FJ" Our eyes locked for what seemed hours and then I realized I had a dog hair on my pants. Dang! Why is it always me who loses the contest? He then laughed and said "goodnight". Seriously. He did. I think he realized that was rude so she called his "manager" to appraise the FJ. Mind you, this is my baby that I baby. Comes back. $13,500. It was my turn to laugh and say goodnight.

nathanj04011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2015, 10:45 PM   #82

Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
Quote:
Originally Posted by nathanj04011 View Post
GCVWR - 9500 lbs.
GVWR - 5570 lbs.
Max Capacity - 1190 lbs (including tongue weight)
Tongue Weight - 500 lbs.
Curb Weight - 4380 lbs.

21' Dry - 3600 lbs.
Stuff we are going to have in the trailer- 466 lbs.
Total trailer weight - 4066 lbs.

The maximum capacity we will add to the FJ - 1170 lbs

So in my mostly befuddled mind, this is how it thinks (Freud would have a ball with my mind for sure!).

Curb Weight 4380
Cargo/Passengers 1170 (includes tongue weight)
Trailer with all stuff 4066
Totals 9616
Two possibilities:
  1. the 4066 pounds for the trailer is just what is on the axles, and you are planning to tow an Escape 21' weighing 4600 pounds or more; or,
  2. you counted the tongue weight twice, once as part of the 1170 pounds of "Cargo/Passengers", and again as part of the 4066 pounds of "Trailer with all stuff".
4600 pounds would be greater than the allowed GVWR for the Escape 21', so I think you just counted the tongue weight twice.

Try this:
4380 Curb Weight
700 Cargo/Passengers (leaving room for 470 pounds for tongue weight)
4066 Trailer with all stuff
-------
9146 Total Gross Combination Weight
Much more comfortable margin to GCWR.
Too bad that 700 pounds is not a lot of people and cargo for a family (or even some couples).

Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2015, 10:55 PM   #83

Trailer: 2015 21'; 2011 19' sold; 4Runner; ph ninezero3 327-27ninefour
The 21' max allowed is 4600 lbs.
float5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2015, 10:57 PM   #84

Like I'm going to argue with your logic!!; See, I knew if folks saw my colossal ignorance of basic life and math skills, someone would have pity and give me the correct answer BEFORE they called the men in white overcoats to come take me away where I could not hurt myself... Thanks for helping me with basic math!!
Old 07-15-2015, 11:52 PM   #85

Trailer: 2014 21 2013 Yukon
Hmmm...so I may be done here- but in the almost two years participating on this forum I've only seen two folks that blather all over the place & then confess they're probably wannabees. Should've trusted my instincts to NOT respond to first timers that spew.
Rossue is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2015, 12:04 AM   #86

I'm sorry, Rossue. Thought this forum was for people shopping for Escapes. Which I am doing. I may have a bit of verbose fun in the process, but I guess I outwore my welcome. I'll leave the forum until such time as I OWN an Escape and have a right to post. As to the others, while I poked fun here and there, I DO appreciate your feedback. Much appreciated!
Old 07-16-2015, 12:05 AM   #87

Quote:
Originally Posted by Floating Cloud View Post
The 21' max allowed is 4600 lbs.
From the Escape Trailer Industries specs page for the 21 Foot Escape:
Quote:
Gross Vehicle Weight Rating 4500lbs
... so maybe the spec changed and the web page is out of date but the 100 pounds isn't important. The point is just that it might not make sense to plan on towing the trailer at (or above) its maximum limit, when others don't find the need to carry that much stuff. Thus my guess - apparently correct - that the target was really 4066 pounds of trailer, and the tongue weight was just accidentally counted twice... an easy minor slip to make.
Old 07-16-2015, 12:13 AM   #88

Quote:
Originally Posted by nathanj04011 View Post
Thought this forum was for people shopping for Escapes. Which I am doing. I may have a bit of verbose fun in the process, but I guess I outwore my welcome. I'll leave the forum until such time as I OWN an Escape and have a right to post.
There is no requirement to own an Escape to participate in this forum, and it is normal for buyers to get information and explore possibilities here first, before buying... in some cases years later. You understood one of the purposes of the forum correctly, and you certainly have a right to post.

From the Community Rules:
Quote:
This is a community of individuals who share a common interest in Escape Fiberglass RVs.
Some long-time members should probably re-read some of the other rules...
Old 07-16-2015, 12:28 AM   #89

Trailer: 2015 21'; 2011 19' sold; 4Runner; ph ninezero3 327-27ninefour
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian B-P View Post
From the Escape Trailer Industries specs page for the 21 Foot Escape:

... so maybe the spec changed and the web page is out of date but the 100 pounds isn't important. The point is just that it might not make sense to plan on towing the trailer at (or above) its maximum limit, when others don't find the need to carry that much stuff. Thus my guess - apparently correct - that the target was really 4066 pounds of trailer, and the tongue weight was just accidentally counted twice... an easy minor slip to make.

They have told us 4600 for ours in the last few days. I thought that their website also had 4600 but I see that it does not. I suppose it is not impossible that it is particular to our unit. It is likelier, however, that the new number is 4600 and the change is not yet made on the website. I see that the 19' is 2610. It used to be 2510.
float5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2015, 12:35 AM   #90

Trailer: 2014 21 2013 Yukon
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian B-P View Post
There is no requirement to own an Escape to participate in this forum, and it is normal for buyers to get information and explore possibilities here first, before buying... in some cases years later. You understood one of the purposes of the forum correctly, and you certainly have a right to post.

From the Community Rules:

Some long-time members should probably re-read some of the other rules...
Right, but do people have to be codswallop, bilge or jabberwocky?

Rossue is online now   Reply With Quote