add rear light to 2017 21'? (at build) - Escape Trailer Owners Community

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Me | General Topics > Shopping Escape
Click Here to Login

Old 08-17-2016, 03:00 PM   #1

Trailer: 2017-21' Escape born Dec 28, 2016, Casita 17' (sold)
Question add rear light to 2017 21'? (at build)

Hi all

almost got the build sheet done....

Do people have opinions for or against adding a light (switched locally) to the rear of the 21'?

if yes, where would I ask them to position it?

we are getting the rear camera..... FWIIW.

for late night backing up - would the light be nice, or would it just blind my wife who would be guiding me with hand signals?

we use headlamps a lot, but a flood light on rear might be nice too?

thanks for any thoughts

Losangeles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2016, 03:45 PM   #2

Trailer: 2017 "Early" Escape 21, pulled by 2008 Silverado
A white light mounted in the rear would not be legal in most states. The only exception would be license plate lights and there are lots of regulations to insure these lights only illuminate the license plate and nothing else.
Get a flashlight.

pstyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2016, 04:17 PM   #3

Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
Quote:
Originally Posted by pstyer View Post
A white light mounted in the rear would not be legal in most states. The only exception would be license plate lights and there are lots of regulations to insure these lights only illuminate the license plate and nothing else.
I'm sure that reverse lights are legal everywhere, and even required on motor vehicles (but not trailers). The only issue here is that the proposal is to switch it manually. I see two solutions to the possible issue:
  1. don't worry about it, except to diligently ensure that it is turned off after each use so you never leave the campsite with it turned on - there's nothing suspicious about it and no reason for anyone to be concerned with it; or,
  2. wire the tow vehicle's reverse light circuit to the centre (auxiliary) pin of the 7-way connector, then connect this reversing light to the (currently unused) yellow wire of the tow cable which connects to that pin and ends in the termination box.

It would be much easier to have this wire strung from the termination box to the rear of the trailer at build time, along with the tail and stop/turn wires, than to do it later. I'm only guessing, but I suspect that Escape would be happy to do this for a reasonable extra charge... which is exactly the kind of thing you want to determine before finalizing the build sheet.

My ancient Boler had the yellow wire run by the factory to the rear of the trailer - and not connected to anything - as a standard feature; it was done to make it easier for people wanting to add reverse lights, or to use it for the stop lamps in a setup with separate turn signals.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2016, 04:17 PM   #4

Trailer: 2015 19 "Past Tents", 2015 F150 Ecoboost
Quote:
Originally Posted by pstyer View Post
Get a flashlight.
Provided the light is not on when traveling, I don't see any legal issues with it. However, I would not bother with it. For the most part it's a solution in search of a problem.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
Old 08-17-2016, 04:28 PM   #5

I understand that most people find that they don't need reverse lights, but don't you find them useful on your cars and trucks? Why would a trailer (particularly one with a backup camera) be different? Sure, you can backup only in daytime, or in the dark with an assistant holding a flashlight, but I see no reason to be restricted to those situations. I would not limit myself to driving my car or van - or motorhome - only in daytime, or when I have an assistant with a lamp.
Old 08-17-2016, 04:41 PM   #6

Trailer: 2015 19 "Past Tents", 2015 F150 Ecoboost
True enough I guess. Would be nice though to have backup lights integrated into the taillights - like on a car or truck. That way, they only illuminate when you're in reverse, and there's nothing else to add.
Old 08-17-2016, 04:56 PM   #7

Trailer: Escape
use a two way radio for the wife to guide you when backing up.
Old 08-17-2016, 05:12 PM   #8

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B - "Toad". '08 Toyota RAV4 V6
Not that I want a camera on my trailer, but seems to me that some of these cameras have night vision and that might be messed up with a backup light.
My SwiftHitch camera has automatic night vision:
https://www.swifthitch.com/how-it-works.html
Angle of view of SwiftHitch is too narrow to use backing into a campsite.

What happens to the hole when the cheese is gone?
- Bertolt Brecht
gbaglo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2016, 05:40 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by rbryan4 View Post
Would be nice though to have backup lights integrated into the tail lights - like on a car or truck. That way, they only illuminate when you're in reverse, and there's nothing else to add.
Integrated is tidy, and there are RV tail lamp assemblies which include a reverse function - my fifth-wheel trailer has backup modules in its Bargman 84/86 series modular tail lamp assemblies. They're not commonly used, because recreational and light cargo trailer umbilical cord connections in North America normally don't include the reverse circuit... and every penny that trailer manufacturers can save is saved.

But there is no need for the lights to be integrated to be automatic, since there's no electrical relationship between reverse and the other lighting functions. Cars (including SUVs) routinely have the reverse lamps separate from the tail, stop, and turn lamps - sometimes in the bumper. Hook up the yellow wire and it works when (only only when) in reverse - whether it is a separate lamp or integrated.
Old 08-17-2016, 05:44 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by gbaglo View Post
Not that I want a camera on my trailer, but seems to me that some of these cameras have night vision and that might be messed up with a backup light.
My SwiftHitch camera has automatic night vision:
https://www.swifthitch.com/how-it-works.html
That web page lists a maximum range for the "night vision", which implies that it is a floodlight mounted with the camera. If it is white light, a backup light would just be a superior replacement; if it is infrared, a white backup light would provide much better vision.

My motorhome's rearview camera - which is intended for backing into a campsite, not hitching a trailer - also has a ring of LEDs for night lighting. Actually lighting the area is far superior.