Additional stop/signal lights on 19? - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Me | General Topics > Shopping Escape
Click Here to Login

Old 02-07-2018, 01:22 PM   #1

Location: In my Escape...full time. Currently in Maine, Maine
Trailer: 2018 Escape 19
Additional stop/signal lights on 19?

I will be carrying bikes with a cover over them on the back of my new 19. Given that, I requested the additional brake/signal lights that I've seen in photos of previous generation 19s (vertically oriented on each side of rear window). I was advised by ETI that they no longer do those due to leakage problems. I realize that the outer clearance lights also serve as signal and brake lights but I'm still not sure that will be enough given the lower lights will be totally obscured. Has anyone had additional lights installed on the new gen 19? Thinking of appealing to ETI for alternate solution but thought I'd check with forum folks first :-)

Thanks!!
CarlNH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2018, 02:40 PM   #2

Trailer: 2010 Escape 19
Carl,
Does ETI still offer an option to provide a 4 way plug wired out at the 2" receiver? We have one and it came in handy when we plugged in the lights on our Stowaway box. This would give you the flexibility to possibly add some extra lights on the bumper or out on the bike rack later if needed. The stock upper brake/signal lights on the newer 19 might keep you legal, but they seem awfully small and high for my personal taste.
rubicon327 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2018, 02:54 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by rubicon327 View Post
Carl,
Does ETI still offer an option to provide a 4 way plug wired out at the 2" receiver? We have one and it came in handy when we plugged in the lights on our Stowaway box. This would give you the flexibility to possibly add some extra lights on the bumper or out on the bike rack later if needed. The stock upper brake/signal lights on the newer 19 might keep you legal, but they seem awfully small and high for my personal taste.
A 4-pin plug at the rear is one of the alternatives I was going to propose to ETI if I can't get them to do the extra lights. Don't know if they still offer that but I will ask. I kind of feel the same way about the upper lights. Thanks!
Old 02-07-2018, 03:08 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarlNH View Post
A 4-pin plug at the rear is one of the alternatives I was going to propose to ETI if I can't get them to do the extra lights. Don't know if they still offer that but I will ask.
Just make sure they wire it right or you will be under the back bed swapping two wires like me!

www.escapeforum.org/forums/f8/adding-after-market-front-storage-box-4007-6.html#post145608
Old 02-07-2018, 03:13 PM   #5

Quote:
Just make sure they wire it right or you will be under the back bed swapping two wires like me!

www.escapeforum.org/forums/f8/adding-after-market-front-storage-box-4007-6.html#post145608
Hmmm... I will bring my little trailer plug tester with me when I pick up the trailer and, if it's wrong, I'll have them do the swapping :-)
Old 02-07-2018, 03:16 PM   #6

Quote:
Hmmm... I will bring my little trailer plug tester with me when I pick up the trailer and, if it's wrong, I'll have them do the swapping :-)
Old 02-07-2018, 05:02 PM   #7

Trailer: 2011 Escape 19
Hi CarlNH: I think ETI will still install upper signal/brake lights, they just don't use the long vertical ones because of warping and leaking problems. They mount smaller, more square lights horizontally above the back window. I had ETI install them on my 19 when I was in the area for the Osoyoos Rally in 2016. This may have changed- but you might want to at least check with them. I added them for the same reason you are thinking- mounting bikes on the back- and they are an added safety feature in my view.

Leisure Lee
Leisure Lee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2018, 05:27 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leisure Lee View Post
Hi CarlNH: I think ETI will still install upper signal/brake lights, they just don't use the long vertical ones because of warping and leaking problems. They mount smaller, more square lights horizontally above the back window. I had ETI install them on my 19 when I was in the area for the Osoyoos Rally in 2016. This may have changed- but you might want to at least check with them. I added them for the same reason you are thinking- mounting bikes on the back- and they are an added safety feature in my view.

Leisure Lee
That would be great! Do you happen to have a photo of yours that I could show them as an example of what I want?

Thanks!!!
Old 02-07-2018, 05:43 PM   #9

Trailer: 2011 Escape 19
They do provide upper stop/signal lights as standard on th new 19. Were you thinking you wanted sometjing larger. I misunderstood. I think the ones I installed are the ones being used on the new 19. I also think they are very visible. My unit had the lower lights only and they would be mostly obscured by bikes on the back. The upper lights solve the issue in my view. My unit is still in storage- but if I can get at it, I will send a picture this weekend.

Leisure Lee
Leisure Lee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2018, 06:04 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leisure Lee View Post
They do provide upper stop/signal lights as standard on th new 19. Were you thinking you wanted sometjing larger. I misunderstood. I think the ones I installed are the ones being used on the new 19. I also think they are very visible. My unit had the lower lights only and they would be mostly obscured by bikes on the back. The upper lights solve the issue in my view. My unit is still in storage- but if I can get at it, I will send a picture this weekend.

Leisure Lee
Oh, OK, if you have the upper lights that are now standard, no need to get to it for a photo! Good to hear that you feel the high mounted lights are adequate. I just wasn't sure they would be visible enough given how high they are mounted. That is why the input from experience Escapees like yourself is so valuable!

Thanks again!
Old 02-07-2018, 06:17 PM   #11

Trailer: 2010 17B “MATT”, then 2017 19 “Lilly”
The high mount lights, which used to be an option, but are standard on all new trailers, provide just as good visibility, IMHO, as the lower set.

We had a high set added to our older 17, for bikes, but on the new 19 I don’t feel anything more is needed. That said, I really believe in and like to be, highly visible, so the idea of a 4pin plug for an auxiliary, bike rack mounted set of lights is intriguing. I believe 1-Up offers such lights as an option for their superlative racks.
Old 02-07-2018, 06:34 PM   #12

Trailer: 2018 17A
Here's a picture of the new lights on my (pickup on 2/13) 17A. It sounds like they are the same
Attached Thumbnails
build photo 27.jpg  
noblets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2018, 06:41 PM   #13

So you are saying that these two upper outside running lights are also stop and turn lights as well?
Attached Thumbnails
AB708B6E-9403-4ED5-A921-30FFD8185A9F.jpeg  

https://www.escapeforum.org/forums/f8...ape-12918.html
Eggscape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2018, 06:45 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by sclifrickson View Post
The high mount lights, which used to be an option, but are standard on all new trailers, provide just as good visibility, IMHO, as the lower set.

We had a high set added to our older 17, for bikes, but on the new 19 I don’t feel anything more is needed. That said, I really believe in and like to be, highly visible, so the idea of a 4pin plug for an auxiliary, bike rack mounted set of lights is intriguing. I believe 1-Up offers such lights as an option for their superlative racks.
Thanks... seems like the consensus is that the new standard high-mounted lights are adequate. Maybe I will stop harassing ETI for more :-)
Old 02-07-2018, 06:46 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by noblets View Post
Here's a picture of the new lights on my (pickup on 2/13) 17A. It sounds like they are the same

Thanks. Yes, those are standard on the new 19. Still thinking I might like another set of those around mid-line ;-)
Old 02-07-2018, 06:57 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eggscape View Post
So you are saying that these two upper outside running lights are also stop and turn lights as well?
ETI has indicated that this is the case.
Old 02-07-2018, 08:54 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by noblets View Post
Quote:
Thanks. Yes, those are standard on the new 19. Still thinking I might like another set of those around mid-line ;-)
There is an important distinction here that might be easily missed. My understanding is on the 17 the upper lights are just tail lights. On the 19, 21 & 5.0 TA the outer upper lights function as brake and signal lights. If you look closely under Features on the ETI website you will see they are listed as “Rear Upper Brake/Signal Lights” or something close. Under “Exterior” for the 19 & 21, but in the case of the 5.0TA it is listed under “Electrical”.
Old 02-07-2018, 09:03 PM   #18

Trailer: 2023 21C' Escape
Good evening. My wife and I are new to the forum and have not posted in the new members forum yet, but we read many of the posts. This post caught my eye as we did have the 4 pin plug installed at the back receiver on our new 19 just for the same reason listed. We will be hauling bikes as well. I also visited with ETI about another set of lights and they did state that they do not install any longer just for the reasons mentioned. Our trailer entered production on 2/5 with a completion date of March 13th. It was $75.00 CAD for the 4 pin plug . Can't wait to pick it up.
Cyclones forever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2018, 09:11 PM   #19

Trailer: 2018 17A
Quote:
There is an important distinction here that might be easily missed. My understanding is on the 17 the upper lights are just tail lights. On the 19, 21 & 5.0 TA the outer upper lights function as brake and signal lights. If you look closely under Features on the ETI website you will see they are listed as “Rear Upper Brake/Signal Lights” or something close. Under “Exterior” for the 19 & 21, but in the case of the 5.0TA it is listed under “Electrical”.
My build sheet (for the 17A) lists"Additional Set Rear Upper LED Brake/Signal Lights". We chose this option; it will be interesting to see what the reality is. I'm hoping for the brake lights!
noblets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2018, 09:16 PM   #20

Trailer: 2018 Escape 17A double dinette
I ordered them as well, Tom, and I haven't heard any news indicating otherwise from ETI.