Airstream Buys Nest - Page 2 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Me | General Topics > Shopping Escape
Click Here to Login

Old 04-01-2016, 08:10 PM   #21

Trailer: 2013 AS International
Quality will be an issue if Airstream institutes their system.
TheCabin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2016, 10:30 AM   #22

Trailer: Airstream shopping for Escape
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian B-P View Post
I assumed that this was an April Fool's joke (less than two seconds after seeing the thread title) for two reasons:
  1. It's April 1st
  2. The Nest is a trailer design and set of moulds, rather than a company with established manufacturing capacity and market share.
  3. Airstream isn't even really a company - it's just a brand. The company is Thor.
As it turns out, there is an "Airstream, Inc.", which is a subsidiary of Thor Indusries, Inc. Either it is true, or Robert is stringing Donna along.

High probability of being true.
It has been a rumour for months on the Airstream forum that they were going to introduce this spring a small trailer made of something other than aluminium - may have even been an Airstream themselves who started the story. Lots of folks speculated it was going to be a fibreglass trailer.
Fiberglass Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2016, 11:01 AM   #23

Trailer: 2018 Airstream Flying Cloud (Escape 19 & 5.0 previously)
The timing of the unveiling of the updated Escape and Airstream's announcement of their acquisition of Nest is quite a coincidence. Or is it?
Zardoz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2016, 11:21 AM   #24

Trailer: 2015 Escape 19 "Seventy Degrees"
In its current form and price the Nest isn't really a competitor for Escape, and certainly not Scamp or Casita. It's a Millenial niche market trailer like Happier Camper, but too pricey currently to compete with them either.
Greg A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2016, 11:25 AM   #25

Trailer: 2013 Esc19/'14 Silvrado
Well Hello, Gorgeous! I googled nestcaravan.com and after 4 minutes the site finally opened. Sophisticated, innovative and peerless, to use their own words, followed by "...sorry, we're not chasing cheap."

That's about sums it up, I guess.
Old 04-02-2016, 11:31 AM   #26

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21C 2019 Expedition
For consumers competition is good for a variety of reasons- not just for cost but for choices in design and features as well. The concept is interesting and remember Escape started with just one trailer - the 17. Wouldn't doubt this line gets expanded too.

I've found one feature in the Nest I like by looking closely at the spec sheet: a marine grade 2 burner cooktop. They use the Ramblewood marine/rv 2 burner and it has electric ignition via cordless 1.5V battery. RambleWood Equipment & Conslting Limited -- Products
Attached Thumbnails
nest.jpg  
Rossue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2016, 11:50 AM   #27

Trailer: 2010 Escape 17 B
Gorgeous, definitely. And for sure April's fool!! LOL!!!!

I remember from few years back that the owner Robert Johans remodeled old eggs before building his own camper. I always followed those threads, as he always did a wonderful job!!
Old 04-02-2016, 11:56 AM   #28

Trailer: 2018 Escape 21C
On a Forest River website / forum there was talk that Forest River is looking at offering a molded fiberglass trailer. Since Forest River
has the manufacturing capabilities , capital , and the economies of scale they maybe able to sell a fiberglass trailer at a very competitive price . Whether the quality will be there is a totally different question.
steve dunham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2016, 12:25 PM   #29

Trailer: 2015 Escape 19 "Seventy Degrees"
The Molded Fiberglass market has really grown over the last 5 years and the availability of trailers both used and new doesn't meet current demand. A manufacturer that could put a quality entry level small molded camper out at $10-15k on a large scale with a dealer network would do very well.
Greg A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2016, 12:26 PM   #30

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
I wonder if ETI would install one of these? May have to ask....
Old 04-02-2016, 12:48 PM   #31

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0TA / 2016 Ram Eco Diesel 4X4
Quote:
Originally Posted by steve dunham View Post
On a Forest River website / forum there was talk that Forest River is looking at offering a molded fiberglass trailer. Since Forest River
has the manufacturing capabilities , capital , and the economies of scale they maybe able to sell a fiberglass trailer at a very competitive price . Whether the quality will be there is a totally different question.
Hi: steve dunham... At least they're not owned by Thor... but what does Birkshire-Hathaway know about building them. Alf
escape artist N.S. of Lake Erie
escape artist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2016, 01:20 PM   #32

Trailer: 2018 Escape 21C
Quote:
Originally Posted by escape artist View Post
Hi: steve dunham... At least they're not owned by Thor... but what does Birkshire-Hathaway know about building them. Alf
escape artist N.S. of Lake Erie
Forest River may presently lack the accumen to build a fiberglass trailer but I am sure they can hire someone with the requisite knowledge and skills. I would believe that Forest River / Birkshire- Hathaway is simply looking to expand their market and profits. The current
method of building / assembling fiberglass trailers is not the most efficient manufacturing process . If automobiles were assembled in the same method that our trailers are assembled most people could not afford to own a vehicle . I can see Forest River building fiberglass trailers on a large scale and on an assembly line with a lot lower cost per unit. If the quality of their fiberglass trailers matches the quality of their stick built trailers then they may not be very successful. IMHO
steve dunham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2016, 01:56 PM   #33

Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
I don't think the ability to build in moulded fiberglass is a problem for the major RV manufacturers. They already use large moulded fiberglass components - most trailers and motorhomes use moulded fiberglass endcaps. Although most RVs are built "inside out" (interiors are assembled on the RV floor, then the walls and roof are wrapped around) and that won't work in a moulded body, Forest River (and Thor, and lots of others) build Class B motorhomes. A Class B is a converted van, so the interior must be assembled within the already complete shell, just like a moulded fiberglass trailer (or an Airstream).

Several years ago in FiberglassRV there was a discussion of a new design which took a unique approach: the interior was built in the lower shell, then the upper shell was installed on top. This produced the worst of all worlds: it was heavy and full of wood (due to the extra interior structure needed), and had a poorly constructed body joint.

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve dunham View Post
The current method of building / assembling fiberglass trailers is not the most efficient manufacturing process . If automobiles were assembled in the same method that our trailers are assembled most people could not afford to own a vehicle . I can see Forest River building fiberglass trailers on a large scale and on an assembly line with a lot lower cost per unit.
Same for non-fiberglass trailers. Every RV plant that I've seen - in person and in photos - is an assembly line without any significant automation. I doubt Forest River (or Thor) would bring any cost efficiencies to moulded fiberglass trailer construction, except for volume purchasing.

Automobiles are made in vastly higher quantities so they can justify much more development and much more expensive tooling. Remember the GMC Motorhome of the 1970's. Bringing the capabilities of a major auto manufacturer to RV production resulted in a nice unit, but it was economically marginal. Cars are also subject to far more regulations, so they need to be more consistently and precisely constructed.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2016, 09:19 PM   #34
Site Team

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0 TA
Robert Johans just posted on FiberglassRV that Airstream has purchased Nest Caravans: Direct Link Introducing Nest Caravans - Page 11 - Fiberglass RV
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2016, 07:25 AM   #35

Trailer: 2014 Escape 19', 1974 Boler
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rossue View Post
For consumers competition is good for a variety of reasons- not just for cost but for choices in design and features as well. The concept is interesting and remember Escape started with just one trailer - the 17. Wouldn't doubt this line gets expanded too.

I've found one feature in the Nest I like by looking closely at the spec sheet: a marine grade 2 burner cooktop. They use the Ramblewood marine/rv 2 burner and it has electric ignition via cordless 1.5V battery. RambleWood Equipment & Conslting Limited -- Products
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpaharley2008 View Post
I wonder if ETI would install one of these? May have to ask....
I check into the Ramblewood when we had our 19' built. We wanted our cooktop rotated for more counter space and in thios configuration the counter was too narrow for it to fit. It needed a 24" deep cabinet and the 19' only has 22"
Ian G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2016, 07:50 AM   #36

Trailer: 2013 19' & 2013 15B
Good news for Robert. Apparently he was also retained by Airstream as a consultant. I would imagine that Airstream will modify the design and/or features to suit their own ideas as to what is best, which may cause some conflict. Could be difficult for him to be involved in a smaller role with someone else calling the shots on things.

"It is better to remain silent at the risk of being thought a fool, than to talk and remove all doubt of it." - 1907, Maurice Switzer
Dave Walter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2016, 08:27 AM   #37

Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ian G View Post
I check into the Ramblewood when we had our 19' built. We wanted our cooktop rotated for more counter space and in thios configuration the counter was too narrow for it to fit. It needed a 24" deep cabinet and the 19' only has 22"
Unfortunately, I have the same issue with the Dickinson. I just have enough room to turn it, but the back burner would be too close to the wall for my liking, and seeing that is the big burner, it will likely get the big pots. I am fine with keeping it in the regular orientation though, as with the cutting board in place, it remains flush to the countertop.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2016, 06:07 PM   #38

Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
I received a notification of the sale by e-mail from Robert, as a follow-up to earlier correspondence.

Strangely, neither the Nest Caravans website nor the Airstream website has any announcement. Maybe if corporate communications departments stopped playing on Twitter and Facebook they would have time to present clear and authoritative information.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2016, 06:14 PM   #39
Site Team

Trailer: 2015 19 "Past Tents", 2021 F150 Lariat 2.7L EB
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian B-P View Post
Maybe if corporate communications departments stopped playing on Twitter and Facebook they would have time to present clear and authoritative information.

So true. Sometimes I think I'm their quest to be "social media savvy" they forget the normal means.
Old 04-04-2016, 06:17 PM   #40
Site Team

Trailer: 2015 19 "Past Tents", 2021 F150 Lariat 2.7L EB
Sorry for the typo. Phone app won't let me correct it. "I'm" should be "in".