Airstream Buys Nest - Page 3 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-04-2016, 06:29 PM   #41

Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
Robert made the announcement on Facebook today. I much prefer updates done on social media, as I get notice of them right away. It might be ages before I ever went to the website.

Of course the website should be up to date as well.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2016, 06:37 PM   #42

Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
Most people don't have Facebook accounts (even half of my 20-something to 30-something nieces and nephews don't use it), and even people with Facebook accounts who are shopping for travel trailers may not "follow" a manufacturer. I don't follow any company, because that just clogs up my newsfeed with crap. On the other hand, someone who is considering buying a Nest (they have a link to order one on the Nest Caravans site) doesn't see any information about this major change on the Nest site.

It seems to me that some companies greatly overestimate the effectiveness of information dissemination by social media channels, perhaps because some of the people who do use social media extensively are so vocal. "Everyone is talking" about something now seems to mean that although most people haven't heard and don't care, some guy who won't read more than 140 characters of anything saw a tweet and Facebook post with the same keyword in them.

This doesn't seem to have been announced on Twitter. I guess one needs to subscribe to every social media source to get information.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2016, 07:04 PM   #43

Trailer: 2014 Escape 19, sold; 2019 Escape 21, Sept. 2019
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian B-P View Post
Most people don't have Facebook accounts (even half of my 20-something to 30-something nieces and nephews don't use it),
So true. Too bad for me but a group that I volunteer with has an IT person who put the traditional forum into limbo. Too much trouble to maintain he claimed. He wanted to put stuff out using Facebook. Since most of the group are retired engineers who don't "do" Facebook but are comforable with tradional format forums I requested that he get the forum back up and running. He couldn't understand why we didn't want to all start using Facebook. I like to choose when I update my info, not be constantly bombarded with trivia.

Ron
Ron in BC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2016, 07:22 PM   #44

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE
I just logged in to Facebook recently after ignoring it for years.
Had to go through my 'friends' to unfollow most of them to get rid of constant crap and cats.
Old 04-04-2016, 07:37 PM   #45

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian B-P View Post
Most people don't have Facebook accounts (even half of my 20-something to 30-something nieces and nephews don't use it), and even people with Facebook accounts who are shopping for travel trailers may not "follow" a manufacturer. I don't follow any company, because that just clogs up my newsfeed with crap. On the other hand, someone who is considering buying a Nest (they have a link to order one on the Nest Caravans site) doesn't see any information about this major change on the Nest site.
You think Nest Caravans 12 posts in the last year clog up your newsfeed with crap. I don't see it as crap at all, but information I am interested in.

Are not these forums a form of social media? Why do some come here, yet bash Facebook?

Almost everyone in my immediate group of family and friends are on Facebook. And, some really good friends I had lost track of over the years, I have been fortunate to reconnect with because of Facebook. I truly enjoy being more closely connected to friends and family, something important to me.

I enjoy getting updates from some of the pages I follow, different photography, trailering, coffee, outdoor pursuits, and a few others. It keeps me in the loop with what is happening, and in no way do I find it overbearing. It takes 1/10 second to pass any post I have no interest in.

I don't do Twitter, Instagram or any others like that, just Facebook and forums.

Quote:
It seems to me that some companies greatly overestimate the effectiveness of information dissemination by social media channels, perhaps because some of the people who do use social media extensively are so vocal. "Everyone is talking" about something now seems to mean that although most people haven't heard and don't care, some guy who won't read more than 140 characters of anything saw a tweet and Facebook post with the same keyword in them.
I believe in that instead, those who underestimate the effectiveness of social media are only fooling themselves. Just ask the many politicians who have not succeeded where their opponents took their campaigns to social media, and did well. Lots of businesses I know do well with their social media presence as well. One must learn to adapt to it, as it is not going away, and is only getting stronger. Do we need it, or these forums, to survive, not at all. But, they sure do make for a great way to communicate ideas and informantion.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron in BC View Post
I like to choose when I update my info, not be constantly bombarded with trivia.

Ron
Are you on Facebook at all. The only bombardment of stuff I get I don't care for, is all the US political stuff posted by friends, and fortunately that is subsiding.

You can choose what you wish to see in your feed, eliminate notices, or any posts by pages or friends. The only thing you can do on a forum is to ignore another member, or just pass by stuff you are not interested in (just like with Facebook)
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Old 04-04-2016, 07:50 PM   #46

'Ignore' doesn't work. I tried that over on FGRV and all it does is post a sentence that says you are ignoring a post.
Then other members quote and comment, so you have to look at the original ignored post to get the context.
Heard a item other day about Facebook being 'uncool' among the youth now that grandma and grandpa have joined in.
Old 04-04-2016, 08:00 PM   #47

Quote:
Originally Posted by gbaglo View Post
Heard a item other day about Facebook being 'uncool' among the youth now that grandma and grandpa have joined in.
There is some truth to this. As it got more popular, and the older generations starting joining, the younger ones faded away. My kids (and others under 30) do most of their posting elsewhere, but do monitor Facebook. For those on Facebook, I converse with Messenger more than by text.
Old 04-04-2016, 08:12 PM   #48

We gave my wife an iPad for Xmas two years ago and she threw it across the room ( onto a sofa ) cause she didn't want it.
Now she's on Pinterest and Instagram ( following a show-winning beagle ).
Old 04-04-2016, 08:26 PM   #49

Quote:
We gave my wife an iPad for Xmas two years ago and she threw it across the room ( onto a sofa ) cause she didn't want it.
I have done up a few things on Pinterest, though rarely go there. I have one page with photos and links for outfitting a cargo trailer. Just getting used to it, but it is kinda like bookmarks on your computer, but with photos. I was thinking that it might have been a better way to organize ideas for my upcoming build, rather than a lot of bookmarks, spreadsheets, etc.

Lisa too does Instagram.
Old 04-04-2016, 08:31 PM   #50

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21C 2019 Expedition
Quote:
Hey Baglo- thank your lucky charms she doesn't do facebook. Everyone knows about golf widows, however the F-Book can also be a divide in relationships.

Glad to hear nieces & nephews out there are shunning this thing. Many other ways to be connected IMO.
Rossue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2016, 08:36 PM   #51
Site Team

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0 TA
I spend more time on Facebook than anywhere else. I have three grandgirls... a three y/o and a set of 9 month old twins. It's easier for my daughter to put pictures, etc. on Facebook than to email to a list. All her "friends" get to see the pictures immediately.

Just like any social media, including fiberglass trailer forums, Facebook, etc. have a place.
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2016, 08:53 PM   #52

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donna D. View Post
I have three grandgirls... a three y/o and a set of 9 month old twins. It's easier for my daughter to put pictures, etc. on Facebook than to email to a list. All her "friends" get to see the pictures immediately.
This is a prime example of one of Facebook's best merits. I enjoy seeing the photos of my grandkids too, as well as my daughters first house, friends having fun in Spain, my buddy who now lives in South Korea, my niece's birthday party, that bike trip I missed going on, some of the parts of the country my son works in, and so on.....

Folks don't have to like Facebook, but I sure do!
Old 12-29-2017, 07:49 AM   #53

Trailer: 17
new build update and looking good
https://www.airstream.com/blog/
gocamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2017, 11:06 AM   #54

Trailer: 2010 EggCamper (#083); 2017 Escape 21 (#053); 2016 F-150 5.0L FX4
Quote:
Originally Posted by gocamp View Post
new build update and looking good
https://www.airstream.com/blog/
Three of the four images on the web link are of the passenger side, the fourth is of the rear, none of the driver side where one customarily hooks up to campground utilities. What's up with that? Inquiring minds want to see. And that line about, "It’s a far cry from the fiberglass travel trailers of yesteryear ..." subtly ignores improvements in fiberglass travel trailers since yesteryear. But I guess that's marketing....
War Eagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2017, 11:16 AM   #55
Site Team

Trailer: 2015 19 "Past Tents", 2021 F150 Lariat 2.7L EB
Quote:
Originally Posted by War Eagle View Post
"It’s a far cry from the fiberglass travel trailers of yesteryear ..."
It'll be a far cry in price too. Gorgeous design though.
Old 12-29-2017, 02:53 PM   #56
Site Team

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0 TA
Quote:
Originally Posted by War Eagle View Post
..."It’s a far cry from the fiberglass travel trailers of yesteryear ..."
The quote may have something to do with Airstream's attempt at fiberglass trailers back in 1960 or 1961. They only made a couple.. The Wally Bee
Attached Thumbnails
AirstreamWallyBee.JPG  
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2017, 02:54 PM   #57

Trailer: 2010 Escape 19
All this design and engineering and they still slap on a loud Dometic overhead A/C. Really wish these manufacturers would partner with a refrigeration company to come up with something better for such a small trailer. Kimberley in Australia has a custom 7500 BTU/H split system that would be absolutely perfect for a trailer this size.
rubicon327 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2017, 03:27 PM   #58

Trailer: 2013 Escape 21 Classic Number 6, pulled by 2018 Toyota Highlander
Wally Bee

Quote:
The quote may have something to do with Airstream's attempt at fiberglass trailers back in 1960 or 1961. They only made a couple.. The Wally Bee
Hi Donna
I’ve never seen this picture before. At first glance it looks to me that the aerodynamics are backwards I.e. flat and high in the front and tapered in the rear. Oh well gas was only about $.32 a gallon back then so probably wasn’t a concern. When I first saw this thread I had to hit the old you tube function and play “To Each His Own” by Eddy Howard, The Ink Spots and finally The Platters. Happy New Year. Thanks for all of your vintage trailer pics this past year I enjoyed them. Here’s a camping rig I saw in Idaho on the way back from the Escape Rally
Iowa Dave
Attached Thumbnails
1144A309-B6B3-4A02-BA1E-878481431C76.jpg   B6912C99-D8BF-4636-8B68-5E1E8CB4DD67.jpg  
Old 12-29-2017, 03:28 PM   #59

Trailer: None now
Quote:
Here's a YouTube vid that shows a bit of history. They are right in one respect. This one with a top and bottom shell does resemble the modern eggs.

wetzk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2017, 03:56 PM   #60

Trailer: 2018 Escape 19
Interesting...I hope trailers like that show up to the Boler 50th anniversary.

https://www.escapeforum.org/forums/f8...ape-12918.html
Eggscape is offline   Reply With Quote