Alternative to ETI levellers, another 10 pack or Andersons? - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Me | General Topics > Shopping Escape
Click Here to Login

Old 01-22-2018, 12:33 AM   #1

Trailer: 21' 2018
Alternative to ETI levellers, another 10 pack or Andersons?

10 pack of levelers has gone up alot from last year, now $55 cnd or $44 usd.

is something like the Lynx Levelers or something else a good alternative?

I'm assuming these Anderson levelers are a complete replacement to regular levelers? is this a good option?
SouthernCamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2018, 12:41 AM   #2

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE
Lynx levelers and the ones ETI sells are just square plastic blocks about one inch tall that fit together. I don't know that the Anderson levelers you refer to are the same thing. You can cut up 2" X 12" planks to make your own, but they will be heavier and more likely to be slippery. I'd just get them at ETI and not add another chore to my list.
It's kinda like choosing between butter knives.
Old 01-22-2018, 12:48 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by gbaglo View Post
I don't know that the Anderson levelers you refer to are the same thing.
these are the Anderson levelers. https://www.amazon.com/Andersen-Hitc...ustomerReviews

just the same old butter knife or something better?

(I love your minimalist approach. i'm dying to know your opinion on steel vs aluminum wheels in humid South Louisiana.)
Old 01-22-2018, 12:57 AM   #4

Trailer: 2018 Escape 17A double dinette
I have both, having started with the grid ones. I like the red wedge so much better--no driving on and off to get the right amt of lift. You only need one red wedge for the low side wheel(thinking 17 here--guess two for the tandem axle models.) I still carry the grids as they come in handy at times for other uses. Under tongue, under stabilizers etc.
Old 01-22-2018, 01:00 AM   #5

Mine is a single axle trailer so it's really easy to just pull it forward up onto one or two Lynx levelers.
As for wheels, I was due for replacing the tires, so I figured it would be easy to just buy new tires on aluminum rims. Cost wasn't all that much more.
But, one morning I looked out the front door at my trailer in the driveway and thought, "I think I prefer the white steel wheels". So, I just bought new tires.
Aluminum rims need maintenance, as do steel wheels. If my steel wheels need painting some time in the future, I will get them painted.
Attached Thumbnails
steel wheel rust.jpg  
Old 01-22-2018, 01:06 AM   #6

Trailer: None now
Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthernCamper View Post
these are the Anderson levelers. https://www.amazon.com/Andersen-Hitc...ustomerReviews

just the same old butter knife or something better?

(I love your minimalist approach. i'm dying to know your opinion on steel vs aluminum wheels in humid South Louisiana.)
We ave a set of the Anderson levelers and use them occasionally.
We also have 3 pieces of 1/2 inch plywood and usually end up using 1 to all three pieces of it to level. And at some sites find a slight drag of the foot in the gravel is all that is needed.
If its way off we use the Andersons and even needed all three pieces of plywood at one site.

We have the steel wheels. Coastal Florida has not rusted them yet. If it does they are easy to touch up. I do have aluminum wheels on the 2013 truck and they still look nice so I imagine the Escape ones would hold up well too.
wetzk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2018, 01:19 AM   #7

it sounds like i'll get some anderson's (2?) and maybe a pack of standard levelers or wood also.

i mentioned touching up to my husband, and he's concerned about insidious rust in hard to see and hard to touch-up spots. is this a concern?

if we go for steel over aluminum, it'll be purely to save the $$, so if it bites us it'll be so frustrating. what maintenance do aluminum wheels need?
Old 01-22-2018, 01:25 AM   #8

Trailer: 2010 17B “MATT”, then 2017 19 “Lilly”
We carry both Anderson levelers and Lynx blocks. The Andersons get used most because they’re the quickest and easiest to use. But there are occasions when blocks work better. Even if not used for leveling, both blocks and Anderson’s are also used under tongue jack and stabilizers (turn Anderson’s on their side for such application). They’re both useful tools, and you never know which will work best at a new place til you get there. But usually it’s the Anderson’s.
Old 01-22-2018, 01:26 AM   #9

I don’t think aluminum wheels have any special maintenance, other than periodic cleaning?
Old 01-22-2018, 01:31 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by sclifrickson View Post
I don’t think aluminum wheels have any special maintenance, other than periodic cleaning?
I think it depends if you want them shiny and bright, or just want them to support the trailer.
Lots of incentive to spend money here:
https://www.autogeek.net/how-to-clea...um-wheels.html
Old 01-22-2018, 01:33 AM   #11

Quote:
We carry both Anderson levelers and Lynx blocks. The Andersons get used most because they’re the quickest and easiest to use. But there are occasions when blocks work better. Even if not used for leveling, both blocks and Anderson’s are also used under tongue jack and stabilizers (turn Anderson’s on their side for such application). They’re both useful tools, and you never know which will work best at a new place til you get there. But usually it’s the Anderson’s.
Thanks this seals the deal for leveling.

Around here, almost every family cooks in and heavily abuses aluminum pots. I'm curious about any difference when it's exposed to the elements. I want aluminum, but our "3 days to final" list looks a whole lot like our wish list
Old 01-22-2018, 01:35 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthernCamper View Post
I want aluminum, but our "3 days to final" list looks a whole lot like our wish list
In that case, think about resale.
Old 01-22-2018, 01:38 AM   #13

One thing I wish I had for our Anderson’s are the nonskid mats that you can get from Anderson if you buy them as part of a kit. The one area where Anderson’s do not shine is that sometimes they slip, if on the wrong kind of surface, maybe 5% of the time, in our experience (this is when also having the lego blocks is useful). The mats are supposed to help greatly with this, but we haven’t tried them. Yet. Instead, I cut a series of cuts into mine to give them more bite. It helps, but I still would love to try the mats.
Old 01-22-2018, 01:53 AM   #14

Quote:
One thing I wish I had for our Anderson’s are the nonskid mats that you can get from Anderson if you buy them as part of a kit. The one area where Anderson’s do not shine is that sometimes they slip, if on the wrong kind of surface, maybe 5% of the time, in our experience (this is when also having the lego blocks is useful). The mats are supposed to help greatly with this, but we haven’t tried them. Yet. Instead, I cut a series of cuts into mine to give them more bite. It helps, but I still would love to try the mats.
I've read more than one account of this. I didn't know that Anderson made mats, but I'd planned on cutting up a rubber mat of some sort and gluing it on. Good to know!
Old 01-22-2018, 02:02 AM   #15

This kit has two Anderson levelers, matching chicks, and two non-skid mats: Andersen Hitches 3604 x2 PLUS 2 Authentic Andersen Hitches Rubber Mats to Prevent Slipping on Grass, Concrete, Sand | 2-Pack Camper Leveler & Chock Set | Best Camper Leveling Kit | RV Leveling https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01MQNGOWD..._PPzzAbMK2FEJF
Old 01-22-2018, 02:04 AM   #16

Quote:
This kit has two Anderson levelers, matching chicks, and two non-skid mats: Andersen Hitches 3604 x2 PLUS 2 Authentic Andersen Hitches Rubber Mats to Prevent Slipping on Grass, Concrete, Sand | 2-Pack Camper Leveler & Chock Set | Best Camper Leveling Kit | RV Leveling https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01MQNGOWD..._PPzzAbMK2FEJF
wow, can't beat that, thanks!
Old 01-22-2018, 04:16 AM   #17

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
I do not think 2x12 blocks mentioned earlier are needed, perhaps 2x6 would be better suited. I use a pice of 2x6 at home to keep one side of the trailer raised to offset the natural slope of the driveway, fits fine.
Old 01-22-2018, 05:50 AM   #18

Trailer: 2015 Escape 5.0TA (Little Elsie) Extensively Personalized
Although I do not use my Andersen levelers at every setup because I don’t always need as much lift as they provide, I have never had them slide on concrete, grass, gravel, or any other surface. Maybe I have just been lucky. Most often I use wood levelers I made years ago for use with a previous trailer.

IMHO, steel vs. aluminum wheels is aesthetic and a matter of preference. All I have ever done to my aluminum wheels is wash them with a sponge and they still are shiny.

And lastly, if you truly are a southern camper and plan on frequently boondocking, you are going to find that the inability to power an air conditioner makes the desire to be able to use a microwave with an inverter an inconsequential concern. I would still say if boondocking a lot where you will not disturb others, a small, quiet generator like Honda’s EU2000i can be run for 10 minutes to power the microwave or all night to allow you to sleep in the cool. Ideally, maybe you want both. I personally opted for no ETI installed inverter and have not regretted it. If I were to purchase another trailer from ETI, I would make the same choice. But running the microwave is not all that important to us as there are other ways to heat stuff up.
Old 01-22-2018, 10:12 AM   #19

Trailer: 2015 Escape 5.0TA (Little Elsie) Extensively Personalized
And sorry. My last comment about A/C was aimed at your question on the thread about the inverter. I should have posted it there rather than here. Lost track of where I was!
Old 01-22-2018, 10:49 AM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by C&G in FL View Post
Although I do not use my Andersen levelers at every setup because I don’t always need as much lift as they provide, I have never had them slide on concrete, grass, gravel, or any other surface. Maybe I have just been lucky. Most often I use wood levelers I made years ago for use with a previous trailer.

IMHO, steel vs. aluminum wheels is aesthetic and a matter of preference. All I have ever done to my aluminum wheels is wash them with a sponge and they still are shiny.

And lastly, if you truly are a southern camper and plan on frequently boondocking, you are going to find that the inability to power an air conditioner makes the desire to be able to use a microwave with an inverter an inconsequential concern. I would still say if boondocking a lot where you will not disturb others, a small, quiet generator like Honda’s EU2000i can be run for 10 minutes to power the microwave or all night to allow you to sleep in the cool. Ideally, maybe you want both. I personally opted for no ETI installed inverter and have not regretted it. If I were to purchase another trailer from ETI, I would make the same choice. But running the microwave is not all that important to us as there are other ways to heat stuff up.
If the aluminum is aesthetic, no question we'll skip it. I've seen some rusty spotted rims and it makes me hesitant.

As far as boondocking in the South in the majority of the year, it just won't happen. I've lived here all my life and sweated enough. We may get a generator ultimately for big-time isolation. I do feel like I'm leaning toward the inverter for the microwave, which feels silly, but with one child now and maybe another one day, we do use the microwave for here and there popping in quite often. Just warming up a cup of milk twice a day is a different event as 30 seconds in the microwave Vs heating on the stove.

The inverter would also be for general "versatility," that I have no doubt it provides, I just haven't figured what might pop up requiring 120v! Or if I'll feel comfortable using the inverter before I get a solid understanding of battery usage.