Aluminum Rims and EZ Lube Hubs - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Me | General Topics > Shopping Escape
Click Here to Login

Old 01-28-2017, 10:19 AM   #1

Trailer: 2010 Casita 17 SD (sold); 2017 Escape 21 due 06/17; Tow 2015 GMC Sierra 1500 4X4
Aluminum Rims and EZ Lube Hubs

This is a request for information from Escape owners who have aluminum rims and maintain the wheel bearings using the EZ lube hubs.

We are getting very close to finalizing the build sheet for our 21' due in early June and, while we like the look of the aluminum rims, it also looks as if it would be much easier to use the EZ lube feature on the stock steel rims.

Just for background I currently have a 2010 Casita 17' with EZ lube hubs and have found them to be easy to use and entirely satisfactory to maintain the bearings at the required intervals. I intend to continue using the EZ lube feature on our new Escape rather than having to repack the bearings myself or take the trailer to a shop.

However, when I looked at a friend's 21' with the aluminum rims, after popping the cap on the end of the aluminum cone portion of the bearing cover it appears that access to the EZ lube fitting is somewhat restricted because of how far it is recessed within the cone. Based on my experience, it looks as if it might be difficult to prevent the grease that is expelled from ending up making a mess inside the cone.

By comparison it appears that, once the bearing cover on the stock steel rim is removed, access to the EZ lube fitting is unrestricted making it easy to capture and clean up the expelled grease.

Any thoughts from aluminum rim owners would be greatly appreciated.

Chuck
Tow: 2015 GMC Sierra 1500 4X4
hollis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2017, 11:12 AM   #2

Trailer: 2017 Escape 19' #2
We just left the center caps off but not for using the EZ lube hubs so much but because I like to check the temperture of the hub with a infrared thermometer when we are traveling.
If you want to us the EZ lube it is easy and I just used a rag to clean out any extra grease from the cone.
I don't remember anyone even noticing I did not have the center caps on.
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_9645.jpg  
Old 01-28-2017, 12:03 PM   #3

Trailer: 2010 Casita 17 SD (sold); 2017 Escape 21 due 06/17; Tow 2015 GMC Sierra 1500 4X4
OK. Thanks for the suggestion. Looks like a very good idea and will definitely go on my ever-growing list of "why didn't I think of that?" items.
Old 01-28-2017, 01:05 PM   #4

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21C 2019 Expedition
Excellent idea; use the infared for checking fridge temps, so bearing temps next- function over form
Rossue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2017, 12:37 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kountrykamper View Post
We just left the center caps off but not for using the EZ lube hubs so much but because I like to check the temperture of the hub with a infrared thermometer when we are traveling.
If you want to us the EZ lube it is easy and I just used a rag to clean out any extra grease from the cone.
Tom - thanks again for the reply. I too like to check the bearing hub temps, usually at every stop when towing, although I just use a simple hand touch and have learned over the years that as long as they're warm but not hot I've always been OK.

I like the aluminum rims and assuming the cones are purely for looks I'm going to see if Escape will just leave them off.
Old 02-06-2017, 03:59 PM   #6

Trailer: Escape 21 November 2014; 2022 GMC 1500 3.0L
Chuck,
I doubt that ETI would give you a price reduction for these little plastic caps. Have them put them in a drawer. If anyone on the forum has lost or broken one, you could send them one. (Mine are fine.) Or if you ever sell, the new owner might like to have them.
Bill
Bill and Earline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2017, 05:17 PM   #7

Trailer: 2017 Escape 19' #2
They are easy to take off it just requires removing the wheel to push them out.

If you want to get fancy you could paint the hubs silver.
Old 02-06-2017, 05:27 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill and Earline View Post
Chuck,
I doubt that ETI would give you a price reduction for these little plastic caps. Have them put them in a drawer. If anyone on the forum has lost or broken one, you could send them one. (Mine are fine.) Or if you ever sell, the new owner might like to have them.
Bill
Quote:
They are easy to take off it just requires removing the wheel to push them out.

If you want to get fancy you could paint the hubs silver.
Had my next to final build sheet conversation (I hope) with Escape today and just asked them to leave the cones and caps off and just give them to me. That way I won't have to pull the tires and I'll have them for the next owner if they want them. No need to paint the hubs, Tom's picture looked fine to me.
Old 02-21-2017, 08:44 AM   #9

Quote:
Tom - your picture made it easy to explain to Escape exactly what I wanted so they had no problem mounting the aluminum rims without the center caps and just giving them to me at orientation.

Thanks for your help.

Chuck