Any alternatives to rooftop air conditioner? - Page 2 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Me | General Topics > Shopping Escape
Click Here to Login

Old 05-08-2019, 12:41 AM   #21

Trailer: 2013 19 Escape
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian B-P View Post
An evaporative cooler uses water (as a spray or in a wicking pad, like a humidifier) to cool the air. The box with ice is a different thing.
Brian we have had a would you believe a fiberglass cooler on our roof since 1993 . Because it is all fiberglass the only items we have had to replace pads, pump and motor ,belt . It was made in Arizona and no longer made . The other parts are just cooler parts . It works real well but it does put moisture in the air . I don't think a cooler would be a good idea with the interior wood in our trailers . Anyway I wouldn't . Much smaller space then a house .
We keep pictures away from direct air, etc . Linda paints . It is cheaper then AC but there are some things to be aware of . Also if humidity is up it doesn't work as well as AC . Pat
Patandlinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2019, 01:39 AM   #22

Trailer: 2018 5.0 T/A "Escaper"
We had a swamp cooler on our lazy daze but only tried it a couple of times dry camping in California. There were many on the lazy daze forum that really liked them. Of course, they only work when humidity is low.

It mounted in the standard 14"x14" roof opening and had a water line plumbed to it. Our was a 1997 vintage, the link below will bring you to the current version.

https://www.turbokool.net/category-s/106.htm
akmacs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2019, 10:29 AM   #23

Trailer: 2013 19 Escape
Quote:
Originally Posted by akmacs View Post
We had a swamp cooler on our lazy daze but only tried it a couple of times dry camping in California. There were many on the lazy daze forum that really liked them. Of course, they only work when humidity is low.

It mounted in the standard 14"x14" roof opening and had a water line plumbed to it. Our was a 1997 vintage, the link below will bring you to the current version.

https://www.turbokool.net/category-s/106.htm
We use our cooler 5-6 mo of the year on our home . I wouldn't ever in the trailer though . They work excellent in dry heat . Pat
Patandlinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2019, 12:45 PM   #24

Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
Quote:
Originally Posted by Patandlinda View Post
Brian we have had a would you believe a fiberglass cooler on our roof since 1993 . Because it is all fiberglass the only items we have had to replace pads, pump and motor ,belt . It was made in Arizona and no longer made . The other parts are just cooler parts . It works real well but it does put moisture in the air . I don't think a cooler would be a good idea with the interior wood in our trailers...
They're almost unknown up here, but I'm not really surprised that people use them where they make sense.

U-Haul put them on their rental travel trailers, but it seems like most of the people who own those trailers now have replaced them with air conditioners. U-Hauls have fiberglass interior cabinetry, so moisture may have been less of a concern than with most RVs.

Other than on a U-Haul, the only evaporative coolers that I've seen are huge free-standing units intended for industrial buildings.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2019, 02:15 PM   #25

Trailer: 2010 Escape 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by MTSuz View Post
Thanks for all the feedback everyone. ETI says they pre-wire all trailers for AC, so we are going to forego it for now, and add it later if we really want it. Pre-wired it's also ready for AC if we ever sell it.
I just worked on another owners new 21. "A/C Ready" is simply a 120V power line coiled up inside the power center and terminated up by the roof vent that would be used for an A/C. There is no breaker and no wires run for a thermostat. It would be worth a conversation with ETI if you might be looking for more. It would be really nice if they would provide a digital thermostat that runs just the furnace, but is pre-wired for an A/C. This would eliminate the crappy mechanical furnace thermostat and has you truly ready to add A/C down the road. Someone mentioned on the forum that the Dometic thermostats are wireless now. I don't believe this is correct, but if they are available this way (and are reliable) that makes this partially moot, but you'd still have the furnace wired to the old thermostat.
Old 05-08-2019, 03:58 PM   #26

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
When Escape was installing the Coleman Mach 9200 a/c the controls were on the unit. Escape the switched to the 11,500 unit sometime during the 2ndG turnover and offered a digital thermostat for the furnace and a/c. But you had to get both as the a/c required a different interior shroud that eliminated the controls and allowed wiring to the thermostat. Thus no a/c you get the analog thermostat.
Old 05-08-2019, 10:17 PM   #27

Trailer: 2012 E19
Picture yourself traveling and enjoying the vagabond life. A heat wave moves in. It's hot, humid and miserable. Do you not want the option to get an electric campsite and stay comfortable? We don't get to choose the weather, but we can be prepared for it. Likewise, we may not want to pull up stakes and drive 500 miles north to get out of the heat that might only be forecast to last for a few days; why be miserable and 'tough it out' when you could relax in comfort?

My two cents.
Mike G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2019, 07:23 AM   #28

Trailer: 2010 Escape 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpaharley2008 View Post
When Escape was installing the Coleman Mach 9200 a/c the controls were on the unit. Escape the switched to the 11,500 unit sometime during the 2ndG turnover and offered a digital thermostat for the furnace and a/c. But you had to get both as the a/c required a different interior shroud that eliminated the controls and allowed wiring to the thermostat. Thus no a/c you get the analog thermostat.
I understand Jim, but it doesn't have to be this way. It is easy enough as part of an "A/C Ready" package to run thermostat wires during the build. If the owner opts for a future unit with onboard controls or uses a wireless thermostat that is their prerogative, but the wires are there is they want to use them. Don't get me started on the mechanical furnace thermostat. A non-programmable digital with backlit display can be found cheaper, is quieter and more accurate than mechanical. There is no reason those thermostats should be installed on new trailers just because you don't opt for A/C.
Old 05-09-2019, 02:00 PM   #29

Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
Quote:
Originally Posted by rubicon327 View Post
I understand Jim, but it doesn't have to be this way. It is easy enough as part of an "A/C Ready" package to run thermostat wires during the build. If the owner opts for a future unit with onboard controls or uses a wireless thermostat that is their prerogative, but the wires are there is they want to use them.
I agree
Our motorhome came with wireless remote control for the air conditioning, which is a huge pain in the neck. I'll take any reliable wired thermostat (which doesn't need batteries) over the wireless remote any day.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote