Any alternatives to rooftop air conditioner? - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Me | General Topics > Shopping Escape
Click Here to Login

Old 05-02-2019, 02:16 PM   #1

Trailer: 1974 Trillium 4500, 2019 Escape 19'er completed 8/2019
Any alternatives to rooftop air conditioner?

We are putting together our build sheet for a 19'er. For almost 20 years we have had two 1970s era fiberglass campers with basic amenities, so this build is very exciting.

One add-on that we thought we'd splurge for is AC...but now we're not sure, and are looking for wisdom from others.

We live in Montana and have always chosen to camp off the grid. When we have travelled far with our campers it's typically been to the desert in Utah, where we again chose camping spots with no hookups. We only stay in campgrounds with power if we have to, so plugging in to shore power happens rarely - there or if we are parked in a friend's driveway while visiting. We'll probably do a bit more plugged-in camping as we have time to travel more (yay!), but it won't be the primary use of the trailer.

It dawned on us that while AC will be great for the rare hot Montana weekend or for late spring in the desert...wait!...we don't have shore power most of the time. And we don't particularly like generators because of the noise and (maybe?) the increased complexity of daily camping life. Our arms could be twisted but if we could stay away from a generator that'd be great.

So we'd love to hear from both those who have and don't have AC. From the ACers...even if we use it rarely, will we be so happy to have it then? For the non-ACers, what clever alternatives have you come up with to keep your camper cool? Air circ with one or two rooftop fans? Additional interior fans? Some clever non-shore-power AC that we have not thought of?

Thanks in advance. This forum is great!
MTSuz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2019, 02:29 PM   #2

Trailer: 2018 Escape 21C
We’ve owned 3 fiberglass trailers over the last ten years
We have used our A/C far more than our furnace .
We never realized how much we would use the A/C until we went South in the winter
To be fair we usually camp with hookups and detest / hate hot weather
steve dunham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2019, 03:14 PM   #3

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21C 2019 Expedition
Like the OP we almost never use hookups, don't want a generator and didn't get AC- zero regrets. We camp mainly in shoulder seasons or at altitude. Was in Idaho/Montana last May through middle of June and never was uncomfortable. If you live with humidity that is another story.
Old 05-02-2019, 03:23 PM   #4

Trailer: 2013 Esc19/'14 Silvrado
Since Escape pre-wires the hatch for AC, even if you don't include it, you can always buy a unit later (like I did) and install it yourself. Or, when boondocking, on really hot days simply push air around with a low-amp little desktop fan.

A search of this topic will learn ya, it has been beaten nearly to death on the forum.
Attached Thumbnails
ACHoist2.jpg  
Old 05-02-2019, 03:27 PM   #5

Trailer: 2014 Escape 19, sold; 2019 Escape 21, Sept. 2019
We only go to RV places with hookups when we have to. The vast majority of our trailer use is without power.

We didn't get an A/C but I keep our options open by making a shelf support for a small inexpensive window unit. We've only used it once but it did work quite well. If we were heading across the US South in summertime then we'd definitely take it with us.

Ron
Attached Thumbnails
21-05-2015 4-53-49 PM_0003_resize.jpg   21-05-2015 4-54-18 PM_0004_resize.jpg  
Ron in BC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2019, 03:27 PM   #6

Trailer: 2019 Escape 5.0TA "SCRATCH" First 5.0 TA registered in South Carolina
Spent 15 years over at Big Timber. No AC in the house. Only knew a couple of folks that had AC. Now South Carolina. If you come east of the Mississippi humidity is an issue along with the heat. An 80 degree day in Montana was great. An 80 degree day east of the Mississippi especially the Southeast, miserable. To my knowledge unless you have one heck of a battery bank plus at real big inverter, that you won't have in an Escape, you will not be able to operate an air conditioner without shore power or a generator. Also, you will need something like at least a 2200 watt generator to operate that AC. After I pick up the Escape late June I'm headed to Utah and Arizona and I'm takin two generators.
Old 05-02-2019, 03:31 PM   #7

Trailer: 2014 17B;2012 Nissan Frontier SV 4
In the 41/4 years We’ve had our Escape we primarily camp without any electrical hookups. During those years we used the A/C at two Campground locations. It was nice having the a/c those two times but the extra weight was hanging there on the roof the rest of the time.

I suppose, depending on your POV on the subject you could factor climate change into your decision making matrix. We’ve had to factor in the “new normal” of raging wild fire season into planning our trips.

Added: oh, we don’t like generators

Larry
LarryandLiz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2019, 03:49 PM   #8

Trailer: 2018 Escape 19
We have A/C but power is not always available so we create a breeze at night with a window fan(s).

You can see the modification in the two links below.

http://www.escapeforum.org/forums/f8...tml#post279260

http://www.escapeforum.org/forums/f8...tml#post277692
Attached Thumbnails
468F2CF1-E792-439C-946A-F81D9C7CF5CF.jpg  

https://www.escapeforum.org/forums/f8...ape-12918.html
Eggscape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2019, 03:59 PM   #9

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
They make 12v evaporative coolers that blow air over ice, but you would need a source of ice to keep it going for any length of time.
Old 05-02-2019, 06:16 PM   #10

Trailer: Escape 19, 2018: Last Best Escape
Quote:
Originally Posted by MTSuz View Post

We live in Montana and have always chosen to camp off the grid. When we have travelled far with our campers it's typically been to the desert in Utah, where we again chose camping spots with no hookups. We only stay in campgrounds with power if we have to, so plugging in to shore power happens rarely - there or if we are parked in a friend's driveway while visiting. We'll probably do a bit more plugged-in camping as we have time to travel more (yay!), but it won't be the primary use of the trailer.

It dawned on us that while AC will be great for the rare hot Montana weekend or for late spring in the desert...wait!...we don't have shore power most of the time. And we don't particularly like generators because of the noise and (maybe?) the increased complexity of daily camping life. Our arms could be twisted but if we could stay away from a generator that'd be great.

So we'd love to hear from both those who have and don't have AC. From the ACers...even if we use it rarely, will we be so happy to have it then? For the non-ACers, what clever alternatives have you come up with to keep your camper cool? Air circ with one or two rooftop fans? Additional interior fans? Some clever non-shore-power AC that we have not thought of?

Thanks in advance. This forum is great!
As another Montanan [Missoula], we're now on our 3rd Escape -- with AC. Not needed very often around here, but in the Northwet or the mid[humind]west [anything east of Rapid City], it has been wonderful. Even needed it in Billings twice. Without AC on those occasions, we probably wouldn't have camped. Worth the money, IMHO. We're typically without shore power, unless we anticipate those conditions.

Honda Pilot 2019
ksitte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2019, 07:03 PM   #11

Trailer: 2014 Escape 19 (TV: 2007 Chevy Tahoe)
To Cool, Or Not to Cool....?

We've been using our Escape 5 years and have turned on the AC, maybe, three times. Usually, it's on for a few min. to cool the trailer down prior to going to bed. The thing is way too loud to try to sleep with it on! We try not to camp when it's going to be hot, anyway.
We do have a roof vent fan that we run on low all night to move air when it is "warm". It works very well at keeping it comfortable.
Finally, one other thing to consider is re-sale. Is the market for a trailer with air conditioning already installed larger than the market for a non-air conditioner trailer?
G
pkgman51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2019, 07:04 PM   #12

Trailer: Escape 19 (sold) Escape 21 2014
I found it harder to sell an Escape without air conditioning.
fudge_brownie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2019, 07:31 PM   #13

Trailer: 1998 Casita Spirit
I keep coming back to what Donna D. said about how we might be camping down the road, as opposed to how we have camped in the past. I’m sure this will probably be our last trailer. As we get older, I can see us camping in state park campgrounds with hookups more, and remote areas less. So although I had originally thought no AC, I’m changing my tune.
Lisa M. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2019, 05:47 AM   #14

Trailer: 2014 21' Escape
Better to have it and not need it they need it and not have it.

Plus yes I would agree would be harder to sell with out AC when you are ready to do that.

Enjoy the journey.

Steve
stratos175 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2019, 08:41 AM   #15

Trailer: Escape 21
We used ours all the time, in the Casita. We used it on our April 8 trip back from ETI. Plus we got the heat strip*, and use it extensively too. We like between 63 to 75 degree F temperatures.

Wife loves it because it helps her to sleep. She usually turns her rather loud white noise machine on to drown out other noises, kids, critters, thumps, and bumps.so the AC drone, lulls her to sleep. Me too, because I have tinnitus.

*The heat strip is a little less noisy, but louder than the almost dead silent furnace. It’ll easily keep us in the comfort zone.
Old 05-03-2019, 08:45 AM   #16

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
Thumps and bumps?? I hope you are not towing?
Old 05-03-2019, 08:52 AM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpaharley2008 View Post
Noises that happen in the dark, that give you the heeby-jeebies. Like grizzlies and mountain lions, amongst the night creatures.
Old 05-03-2019, 11:09 AM   #18

Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
Quote:
They make 12v evaporative coolers that blow air over ice, but you would need a source of ice to keep it going for any length of time.
An evaporative cooler uses water (as a spray or in a wicking pad, like a humidifier) to cool the air. The box with ice is a different thing.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2019, 04:09 PM   #19

Googled thumps and bumps

Quote:
Things that go bump in the dark
From goulies and ghosties and long-leggedy beasties
And things that go bump in the night
Good Lord, deliver us!
Old 05-07-2019, 09:26 PM   #20

Trailer: 1974 Trillium 4500, 2019 Escape 19'er completed 8/2019
Thanks for all the feedback everyone. ETI says they pre-wire all trailers for AC, so we are going to forego it for now, and add it later if we really want it. Pre-wired it's also ready for AC if we ever sell it.
MTSuz is offline   Reply With Quote