Any photos with bicycles on rear rack? - Page 3 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Me | General Topics > Shopping Escape
Click Here to Login

Old 11-09-2013, 02:02 PM   #41

Trailer: 2014 Escape 19
Hence the reason to check out the regulations before you head out.
There are also various motorcycle dolly systems for towing the bike. These are not really trailers. Anyway, getting off topic. My original intent was to point out that the 4 pin trailer plug is another way to go and is a $25 option.
robertg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2013, 11:21 AM   #42

Trailer: 2013 Escape 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by gbaglo View Post
Is that set up legal ( towing two trailers ) legal in Ontario? Lots of states and provinces where it isn't.
My brother-in-law lives in Edmonton. He wants to do this, but says while it is legal in most of Canada, it's not legal in B.C. (where he has his cottage property). He said it's legal in every province/territory except B.C. and one of the territories, though I don't recall which territory.

He did the research, and I trust his knowledge in this, for whatever that's worth to you.

2013 Escape 19 ("The Dog House") , 2018 Ford F150
dbailey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2013, 12:01 PM   #43

Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
In Alberta, the first trailer has to be a fifth wheel.

A fellow I used to work with went down to Idaho all the time towing his big 5th and a boat trailer. It was still quicker to drop one at the BC border in the Crowsnest Pass, then come back for it, and hook back up in Idaho, than to drive all the way around Waterton and Glacier National Parks.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2013, 12:27 PM   #44

Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
Quote:
Originally Posted by robertg View Post
I have heard various comments as to where it is legal and not legal... will investigate before I head out
Good!

Quote:
Also, I did come across a towing system for the motorcycle that keeps the rear wheel on the ground so not really a second trailer.
I suspect that you'll find that both this and the dolly systems mentioned later either are trailers as far as both common sense and regulations are concerned, and that they may be even more restricted than a conventional trailer. For instance, pulling a car on a dolly (the usual kind that carries the car's front while the car's rear wheels ride on the ground) is only legal here behind a motorhome.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbailey View Post
My brother-in-law lives in Edmonton. He wants to do this, but says while it is legal in most of Canada, it's not legal in B.C. (where he has his cottage property). He said it's legal in every province/territory except B.C. and one of the territories, though I don't recall which territory.
There are lot of variations in the rules, and it is certainly not as simple as "legal in most of Canada". I think that's the third biggest reason (after safety/stability, and the inability to backup) to avoid multiple trailers - they restrict where you can travel.

As in many things, it's the details that get you. Some of the requirements which are common for multiple-trailer rigs:
  • fifth-wheel coupling for truck to lead trailer
  • tandem axles on lead trailer
  • lead trailer longer than second trailer
  • second trailer only for boat or carrying other vehicles
  • overall length limit

Alberta
No stock Escape can legally be used as the lead trailer in a multiple-trailer rig in Alberta, because the lead trailer must be a fifth-wheel with tandem axles. The coming new tandem-axle 5.0 will change that, but not change the safety/stability concerns... and the existing single-axle 5.0 and any other Escape model (such as the 19') will still not be legal.

British Columbia
Non-commercial vehicles are not allowed multiple trailers in B.C. A Class 3 (or maybe Class 1) drivers license and commercially licensed truck with GVWR over 4550 kg (and perhaps commercially licensed trailer?) could perhaps be used to get around this.

Ontario
Quote:
just looked it up... 2 trailers behind a p/u is legal in Ontario
The easy-to-find reference is this one from the Ontario Ministry of Transportation, Recreational Vehicle Information
Quote:
Cars, passenger vans and SUVs are not permitted to tow more than one trailer or one vehicle. Motor homes, trucks, pickup trucks and truck campers are legally permitted to tow two trailers or a trailer and a motor vehicle behind a trailer. However, a three vehicle combination that is swaying excessively, is unstable or has reduced handling capabilities is subject to action by the police as an unsafe combination of vehicles under the Highway Traffic Act.
This suggests any old pickup truck is welcome to tow a couple of trailers, but as is often the case, this is likely an over-simplification of the actual rule. It looks like the actual rule might be:
Ontario Highway Traffic Act section 161
Quote:
161. No person shall drive on a highway a motor vehicle, other than a commercial motor vehicle, that is drawing more than one vehicle. R.S.O. 1990, c. H.8, s. 161.
... and from the same Act's Interpretation, general; Definitions:
Quote:
“commercial motor vehicle” means a motor vehicle having permanently attached thereto a truck or delivery body and includes ambulances, hearses, casket wagons, fire apparatus, buses and tractors used for hauling purposes on the highways; (“véhicule utilitaire”)
Is a privately owned light-duty pickup truck really a "commercial motor vehicle" in Ontario? These sections of the Act would not include the motorhomes mentioned in the informal version, so there's something suspicious here.

Look into seven other provinces and three territories, and I'll bet you find it gets even more convoluted.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2013, 12:29 PM   #45
Site Team

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0 TA
This side of the border, towing double trailers is a state-by-state basis. For instance, it's legal in Texas and not legal in Oregon. If anyone plans to come into the US, ya better check every state you plan on traveling through. And that's each state's DOT, not some lame blog or information from a relative's friend. It could cost you money and/or grief if you just assume. I'd rather you spend your vacation money making good memories!
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2013, 12:45 PM   #46

Trailer: 2012 Escape 15 A
On our " east coast trip " in Sept/Oct . we passed - at the roadside , with one police car in front and one at the rear , a motor home with a trailer on hitch , and a large motor boat hitched to the trailer . Must have been at least 70-75 ft. altogether , can not imagine what kind of visibility the driver would have ......and how he would have managed turns . So sorry we didn't get a photo . We think he must have been trying to get his summer stuff home from a seasonal location , can't imagine anyone going on a trip with that !
Old 11-10-2013, 12:46 PM   #47

Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
Quote:
Originally Posted by Donna D. View Post
This side of the border, towing double trailers is a state-by-state basis. For instance, it's legal in Texas and not legal in Oregon. If anyone plans to come into the US, ya better check every state you plan on traveling through.
Just like in Canada - province-by-province.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donna D. View Post
And that's each state's DOT, not some lame blog or information from a relative's friend. It could cost you money and/or grief if you just assume. I'd rather you spend your vacation money making good memories!
Good point, Donna. I agree, which I why I dug into Ontario's actual legislation. Although I didn't provide links, by Alberta and B.C. comments are also based on actual regulations... but don't trust me, anyone considering this should check for themselves!
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2013, 12:52 PM   #48

Trailer: 2012 Escape 15 A
Our siting was in Ont. enroute to Strurgeon Falls ...