Article on Airstream Nest - Page 2 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Me | General Topics > Shopping Escape
Click Here to Login

Old 12-07-2018, 07:24 PM   #21

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21C 2019 Expedition
Quote:
Originally Posted by marsman View Post
Agreed, the original 2013 design looks almost identical to the new Airstream Nest, even the color scheme looks similar! WOW...
Look at post 451 on the link Donna provided....the interior at least is very different. Who knows what else happened to get "the right trailer DNA".
Old 12-07-2018, 07:30 PM   #22

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
Why isn't there an exchange rate discount with Bigfoot, similar to Escapes? The factory prices are what the item sells for in US at par....
Old 12-07-2018, 07:38 PM   #23

Trailer: 2016 21 ft escape
It’s called Dealers, the middle man.
Jake930 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2018, 08:16 PM   #24

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
How come the dealers in Canada charge the same mark up as US dealers? Does BF sell direct?
Old 12-07-2018, 08:18 PM   #25

Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jake930 View Post
Better yet how about getting Rease to design an Escape 23 or 5.0TA 23. I envision a rear U shaped dinette that breaks down into a full queen bed. Just dreaming.
I like this thinking, but would want the queen bed to be permanent wherever located.
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpaharley2008 View Post
Why isn't there an exchange rate discount with Bigfoot, similar to Escapes? The factory prices are what the item sells for in US at par....
There is no such thing as a factory price for a Bigfoot as they only sell to dealers which set their prices based on what they paid and how much they want to make. New trailers are a bit cheaper in Canada than the US considering the exchange rate, but not a lot.

Used Bigfoot trailers seem to drop quicker in price to a certain point. I kinda think this is due to the fact that a lot of the cost is the dealer markup and not on the cost of building one. I once tried to convince them to find a way to sell direct to see if they would, but they just won't.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2018, 09:29 PM   #26

Trailer: 2014 Escape 19, sold; 2019 Escape 21, Sept. 2019
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jake930 View Post
Better yet how about getting Rease to design an Escape 23 or 5.0TA 23. I envision a rear U shaped dinette that breaks down into a full queen bed. Just dreaming.
Yah, we all have our dreams. I'm still waiting for a 21 with a 19 floorplan.

Ron
Ron in BC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2018, 11:47 PM   #27
Site Team

Trailer: 2015 19 "Past Tents", 2021 F150 Lariat 2.7L EB
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian B-P View Post
It's bizarre how this article credits Thompson with all of Robert Johans' design work. I get that Thompson was apparently the promoter of Airstream doing a fiberglass trailer, but all of the design features described in the article came from Johans (before he made the deal with Airstream, and before the author met Thompson), not from Thompson.

At least now I know to completely disregard anything written by Jean Jennings, and to question anything published by Autoblog.
You said it. Alot of disinformation and some patently false claims. Thompson "copied" the rear entry from the basecamp? Robert Johans' design always had a rear entry. Sheesh. Nearly every detail of the article is wrong.

Worse yet, the Nest continues to have quality issues, mainly related to the layup - despite the media hype to the contrary. That's something Johans' prototype certainly never had.
Old 12-08-2018, 09:20 AM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian B-P View Post
It's bizarre how this article credits Thompson with all of Robert Johans' design work. I get that Thompson was apparently the promoter of Airstream doing a fiberglass trailer, but all of the design features described in the article came from Johans (before he made the deal with Airstream, and before the author met Thompson), not from Thompson.

At least now I know to completely disregard anything written by Jean Jennings, and to question anything published by Autoblog.
I had missed reading this article yesterday. I agree that the the bulk of the credit looks like it is going to Thompson. He did help Robert refine the concept and design he had already come up with, but most this concept is still very close to what Robert had already come up with.

That's it, I can no longer believe everything as I read it on the internet.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Old 12-08-2018, 09:26 AM   #29

Trailer: 2017 19'
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron in BC View Post
Yah, we all have our dreams. I'm still waiting for a 21 with a 19 floorplan.

Ron
The new 21' Alto does have the 19 floor plan, twins that can make into a king in the back, dinette in the front. Only weird thing is that the wheel well is in the wet bath making for very little foot room.
https://safaricondo.com/en/caravanes-alto-serie-f-2114/
TallyHo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2018, 09:44 AM   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by TallyHo View Post
The new 21' Alto does have the 19 floor plan, twins that can make into a king in the back, dinette in the front. Only weird thing is that the wheel well is in the wet bath making for very little foot room.
https://safaricondo.com/en/caravanes-alto-serie-f-2114/
I have looked at extensively at their pop-up trailer, as a customer has one. Interesting ideas, but too much gimmickry and very little storage. Besides, I would want a permanent bed with a good mattress no matter what trailer I owned. We are not inclined to set up our bed area as a lounging area and sleep on couch cushions. Nice clean lines in the trailer you linked to though.