As we age... - Page 2 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-12-2019, 01:27 PM   #21

Trailer: ?
My wife has significant stability issues. I installed three of these to give her something to hang onto.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

One next to the bed. One next to the dinette table and one just above the bath sink.
She was using the sink for support. The handle gives her a better option and takes the stress off the sink.

The towel bar on the bathroom door is all steel and is installed with lots of VHB tape. That bar is going nowhere.

Plus I removed the factory entry step and cobbled together something that made entry and exit for her safer and easier.

You do what you gotta do.

Sitting home and rusting is not our choice.

Enjoy your travels.

Ed & Carol.
Attached Thumbnails
45FB5E38-98F6-43ED-B048-0EDEC505D61C.jpg   7BFF6E54-53BE-480E-8E11-BD9499AD4B2A.jpg   09AA3F0B-E00D-47D9-880E-6FB854ACD3CD.jpg  
EdColorado is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2019, 01:27 PM   #22

Trailer: 2015 Escape 19 "Seventy Degrees"
I am learning your journey Pat. In PT for shoulder, but mine wasn't an injury just hit over 2 years ago. Severe arthritis, and worn out parts. Headed for shoulder replacement in a few years is their prognosis, but just trying to see if they can get it usable for the moment.
It is not a fun part of the body to be messed up, and I'm learning to mostly use my left arm now.
Greg A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2019, 02:27 PM   #23

Trailer: 2013 19 Escape
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg A View Post
I am learning your journey Pat. In PT for shoulder, but mine wasn't an injury just hit over 2 years ago. Severe arthritis, and worn out parts. Headed for shoulder replacement in a few years is their prognosis, but just trying to see if they can get it usable for the moment.
It is not a fun part of the body to be messed up, and I'm learning to mostly use my left arm now.
Greg PT did miracles for me . Before I went I couldn't lift my arm very much and the pain ! I never not use my right arm . I was warned to not lift heavy things . I have stretch bands ,a pole and the large ball just like some of the things at PT. Even though the ball is no longer attached in the shoulder socket ,your shoulder is the most complicated in your body .
You have muscles and ligaments that I now depend on to operate my arm . That is why I must do exercises to keep those working . Reason I keep using my arm too . Guess what I love to wash and wax the trailer because I can use those muscles and that is more fun . When that arm is tired I switch to the left . You go by how you feel . Since PT the pain as long as I don't get lazy is so far 75% removed even sleeping which was bad no matter what side I sleep on .
Also if need be I use ice sometimes and Ben Gay . I don't do pain pills or even aspirin . I would have to be really in pain . I don't like to take pain meds .
I am curious about CBD oils , no pills but for shoulder , but so far haven't.
Greg I was told this is a common injury especially for me . Women can too . Mine probably was injured before for guess what falls from ladders . The slippery fall just torn it off completely .
Hey Greg I did the sewer connection on the trailer . May of taken longer but I keep doing .
Yes as time goes by arthritis is going to get bad there . I will keep fighting this to the end .
if your PT guy is good you should be getting better . My PT guy was would you believe, a Canadian. He was great . If you aren't getting helped try someone else . Sorry Greg you are going through this . Pat
Patandlinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2019, 03:35 PM   #24

Trailer: 1998 Casita Spirit
Pat, I feel so bad for you! At the time I was going through PT after my knee replacement 1.5 years ago, my husband was having PT for his shoulder. The PT mentioned that recovering from shoulder surgery is way worse than knee surgery because the shoulder rotates 360 degrees. Ugh!
Lisa M. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2019, 06:04 PM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lisa M. View Post
Pat, I feel so bad for you! At the time I was going through PT after my knee replacement 1.5 years ago, my husband was having PT for his shoulder. The PT mentioned that recovering from shoulder surgery is way worse than knee surgery because the shoulder rotates 360 degrees. Ugh!
Lisa have met so many people who surgery didn't work for them . I am too old to go back and I was told long recovery after the surgery . Was told no guarentees , nerve damage and frozen shoulder after because you can't move for months . And surgery itself is a risk . Maybe if I was younger I might have done surgery . Things could of been worst . You know what every day I wake up is a good day . Still things to do and see . Thankyou for caring . Hope you and yours are continuing on the mend Pat
Old 05-12-2019, 07:28 PM   #26

Trailer: 2015 Escape 17A
Quote:
Originally Posted by SFDavis50 View Post
Dust, dirt and bug splotches protect the gelcoat from UV damage almost as well as wax does.

"You just gave me the best laugh of my day ! You know what probably true ! Pat"

So, Pat,,, did you leave the Woolsey fire ash on your Escape for UV protection?? Our neighbor with a large sticky RV has not done his roof since!
dfandrews is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2019, 08:51 PM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by dfandrews View Post
"You just gave me the best laugh of my day ! You know what probably true ! Pat"

So, Pat,,, did you leave the Woolsey fire ash on your Escape for UV protection?? Our neighbor with a large sticky RV has not done his roof since!
Nah ,I didn't think about UV protection . And she kind of needs a bath again , but I just will rinse the roof . Pat
Old 05-13-2019, 12:00 PM   #28

Trailer: 2019 Escape 19 "Sheep"; 2003 Toyota Tundra "Shep"; 2017 Aussie "Cody"
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpaharley2008 View Post
I find the pole by the door and outside handle handy to exit sideways using two hands as well as having handrails on the 5.0 model steps and 21 model by the bed. Having ambient lighting at night helps your eyes adjust better, 120v and 12v night lights. The lower exterior light to illuminate the outside step helps and I avoid trying to balance on one foot in the bath room, so the foot flush option is avoided. Having 12v wire runs avoid lying on ones back trying to feed wires in and around items. Just my thoughts on making it easier to use as we age.
I'm a prospective 19' owner of advanced years, a newbie to travel trailers and I appreciate your helpful comments. But what do you mean by a 12v wire "run"?

Any more suggestions?

Thank you!
Farmgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2019, 12:29 PM   #29

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
Escape will add a 12v outlet for $50 or a wire run, left unattached for possible future use, same price. I recommend getting the 12v outlet and then tap into the rear for your power if needed. For example. if you want a light under the bed, you can purchase a light and attach to the 12v run or run your own wires from a 12v outlet installed on the bed to a light.
Old 05-13-2019, 05:59 PM   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patandlinda View Post
Nah ,I didn't think about UV protection . And she kind of needs a bath again , but I just will rinse the roof . Pat
Besides making lots of improvements to trailer . I have albums to show on forum under my name .The first was at pickup I had Escape install another handle inside door . I now have pole but do not use it for a grab handle Pat
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_0445.jpg  
Old 05-20-2019, 05:31 PM   #31

Installed a lower grab handle by the entry door today plus cobbled together a larger, safer, height-adjustable step for my wife to use.

The handle, a perfect match for the ETI handle, came from Amazon.

Enjoy your travels.

Ed
Attached Thumbnails
B37913E3-339A-42AD-AFA1-766A78E14586.jpg  
Old 05-20-2019, 05:54 PM   #32

Trailer: 2019 Escape 5.0TA "SCRATCH" First 5.0 TA registered in South Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by Donna D. View Post
My concession to aging has to do with ladders. I will wash Ten Forward (and wax what I can reach) one last time. I've fallen off a ladder twice now and don't want that to ever happen again. From this last point on, I'll either pay someone to wash/wax or just put up with a dirty/chalky trailer. That may be harsh to some or totally unacceptable. Oh well. I know how dangerous ladders can be. I'd rather change my attitude, than fall off a ladder and perhaps never be able to camp again. YMMV.
It's your trailer and you paid for it so you may do as you please

I was 73 when I had the surgery.
Old 05-20-2019, 06:04 PM   #33

Quote:
Totally agree with you Donna . And you don't even need to be on a ladder to fall . Slipped in a ,would you believe handicap shower at a campground in 2017 . Really took the wind out my sails . It was slippery on a incline . Thank goodness I was done and dressed . But I ripped my right arm rotator cuff totally off the bone and refused surgery . Luckily that was the worst . But it has changed my life and what I can do . My arm will atrophy if I don't do certain exercises every day for the rest of my life .
Be careful on ladders too and you know it isn't worth having a shine on your trailer and maybe get hurt . Just do what you can ! Pat
Pat I had a rotator tear decades ago and over the decades pointed it out to two family doctors and an orthopedic surgeon and they tried to convince me it was something else. Last year I saw an orthopedic surgeon about a hand and mentioned the shoulder. After test it was determined that yes I had a tear and because of the length of time the associated muscle had atrophied. If I had surgery sooner I would still have that muscle. Before the surgery I experienced constant discomfort but had subconsciously ignored it until it was verified that in fact the rotator was torn. I sit here now without any pain or discomfort a year later. It's your shoulder and you know better than I what you live with but that was my experience. I was 73 when I had the surgery.
Old 05-20-2019, 07:15 PM   #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by jnfrombigt View Post
Pat I had a rotator tear decades ago and over the decades pointed it out to two family doctors and an orthopedic surgeon and they tried to convince me it was something else. Last year I saw an orthopedic surgeon about a hand and mentioned the shoulder. After test it was determined that yes I had a tear and because of the length of time the associated muscle had atrophied. If I had surgery sooner I would still have that muscle. Before the surgery I experienced constant discomfort but had subconsciously ignored it until it was verified that in fact the rotator was torn. I sit here now without any pain or discomfort a year later. It's your shoulder and you know better than I what you live with but that was my experience. I was 73 when I had the surgery.
Did you have a complete tear ? I hear you but because of old parts no guarantees for me . One son in law a lot younger then me , had two surgeries and he is back to having problems again . I am depending on the rest of muscles to take over , which as long as I exercise do pretty good . Also the pain is not bad as long as I do what PT told me to do . Also for my case my window of any success has closed . There is a space in there that will just keep getting more open . There are worst things in life , like a lot of things I just learn to deal . Thankyou for reaching out and I am so glad you are doing good Pat
Old 05-20-2019, 07:26 PM   #35

Quote:
Did you have a complete tear ? I hear you but because of old parts no guarantees for me . One son in law a lot younger then me , had two surgeries and he is back to having problems again . I am depending on the rest of muscles to take over , which as long as I exercise do pretty good . Also the pain is not bad as long as I do what PT told me to do . Also for my case my window of any success has closed . There is a space in there that will just keep getting more open . There are worst things in life , like a lot of things I just learn to deal . Thankyou for reaching out and I am so glad you are doing good Pat
. The surviving muscle had compensated. I just got tired of the pain. Yes, mine was a partial tear but the muscle had still atrophied. Anyway, lived with it for over twenty years so I know what you're experiencing.
Old 05-20-2019, 07:26 PM   #36

Quote:
Originally Posted by EdColorado View Post
Installed a lower grab handle by the entry door today plus cobbled together a larger, safer, height-adjustable step for my wife to use.

Enjoy your travels.

Ed
Ed ,very thoughtful and caring to do this for your wife ! Pat
Old 05-20-2019, 07:38 PM   #37

Trailer: 2019 5.0 TA
Quote:
Originally Posted by EdColorado View Post

Enjoy your travels.

Ed
Very nice! By the way, I am a Boulder High school alum. I don't know where yo are on the front range but those are my old stomping grounds. I will be there end of June with our new 5.0 visiting family. Looking forward to having my own bed with me this time.
- Bremerton, WA
arniesea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2019, 07:50 PM   #38

Quote:
Originally Posted by jnfrombigt View Post
. The surviving muscle had compensated. I just got tired of the pain. Yes, mine was a partial tear but the muscle had still atrophied. Anyway, lived with it for over twenty years so I know what you're experiencing.
I hear you on that . I think because I have a complete tear from the bone they gave me a shorter window for a ,maybe success fix . And I am 72 so we have that too . Continued good luck with yours ! Pat
Old 05-20-2019, 07:53 PM   #39

Quote:
Originally Posted by arniesea View Post
Very nice! By the way, I am a Boulder High school alum. I don't know where yo are on the front range but those are my old stomping grounds. I will be there end of June with our new 5.0 visiting family. Looking forward to having my own bed with me this time.
We live in Longmont. Next door neighbors.
If it fits your schedule, there is a Rocky Mountain Rendezvous along the Poudre River from June 24-27.

CO 2019, June 24-27: Rocky Mountain Egg Rendezvous - Fiberglass RV
Old 05-20-2019, 07:55 PM   #40

Quote:
I hear you on that . I think because I have a complete tear from the bone they gave me a shorter window for a ,maybe success fix . And I am 72 so we have that too . Continued good luck with yours ! Pat
Youngster like yourself shouldn't have any problems. It's the old farts like myself that feel the pain