As we age... - Page 3 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-20-2019, 08:01 PM   #41
Site Team

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0 TA
There's an old saying, Pain is God's way of reminding you that you're still alive. Sometimes I think God is a jokster, but then I stop and think of a number of my friends I've lost due to accidents and/or disease. I know without a doubt, they'd all trade places with me. So rather than giving up, I adapt. (She says quietly as she feels grateful for another day.)
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2019, 08:20 PM   #42

Trailer: 2019 5.0 TA
Quote:
Originally Posted by EdColorado View Post
We live in Longmont. Next door neighbors.
If it fits your schedule, there is a Rocky Mountain Rendezvous along the Poudre River from June 24-27.

CO 2019, June 24-27: Rocky Mountain Egg Rendezvous - Fiberglass RV
Cool! I won't be able to stay the week but could stop by. We would be heading back on the 24th and I was considering going back by way of CO 14 and Walden because I have always like North Park. I'll have to discuss with my wife and sister.
- Bremerton, WA
arniesea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2019, 09:43 PM   #43

Trailer: 2019 Escape 5.0TA "SCRATCH" First 5.0 TA registered in South Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by Donna D. View Post
There's an old saying, Pain is God's way of reminding you that you're still alive. Sometimes I think God is a jokster, but then I stop and think of a number of my friends I've lost due to accidents and/or disease. I know without a doubt, they'd all trade places with me. So rather than giving up, I adapt. (She says quietly as she feels grateful for another day.)
Donna what I have found is that the more active I am the less pain I feel. Luckily I was in a position where the shoulder could be fixed. A couple of months ago in order to get this truck ready for the trailer I had to install a gooseneck hitch in order to use the Andersen. Fortunately I found an etrailer video of my exact installation or I would have been lost. Got a great deal on a Curt hitch over ebay and spent five days under the truck in the driveway installing the thing. Then had to drop the rear axel to install some AirLift 1000HD bags. I had no adverse issues. I still use the truck tire as a step to get into the truck bed. My poor brother is going with me to pick up the trailer and in February he had three disc in his lower back reconstructed and a couple years back a heart valve replaced. I'm making some concessions on the pace and places where we stay to accommodate his heath issues. I feel fortunate. Enough rambling
Old 05-21-2019, 01:00 AM   #44

Trailer: 2016 19 classic "outta sight", jeep rubicon unlimited
Quote:
Words of wisdom!
Thank you Donna. Once and awhile we simply need words like this to reflect on what we have, and simply be thankful.
Old 05-21-2019, 05:49 AM   #45

Trailer: 2014 Escape 19
My concessions to aging are 3 TRX training sessions and 5 of yoga per week. Also use Lumosity to exercise the brain. Someone on the forum recommended the book “Younger Next Year” before I retired. I read it and try to practice what I learned. I have a couple bulging discs and find that keeping my core strong helps manage the discomfort better than any pain blocking medication. Each day I get up, I try to be thankful for what I “get to” do. Time to go camping!
Old 05-21-2019, 09:23 AM   #46

Trailer: 2017 Escape 19
“Younger Next Year” is an excellent book. It teaches so much about our bodies and how we are meant to move, not sit. Everyone looking at retirement should consider reading it. I found it inspiring.
mtnest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2019, 12:38 PM   #47

Trailer: 2013 19 Escape
Quote:
Originally Posted by jnfrombigt View Post
Donna what I have found is that the more active I am the less pain I feel. Luckily I was in a position where the shoulder could be fixed. A couple of months ago in order to get this truck ready for the trailer I had to install a gooseneck hitch in order to use the Andersen. Fortunately I found an etrailer video of my exact installation or I would have been lost. Got a great deal on a Curt hitch over ebay and spent five days under the truck in the driveway installing the thing. Then had to drop the rear axel to install some AirLift 1000HD bags. I had no adverse issues. I still use the truck tire as a step to get into the truck bed. My poor brother is going with me to pick up the trailer and in February he had three disc in his lower back reconstructed and a couple years back a heart valve replaced. I'm making some concessions on the pace and places where we stay to accommodate his heath issues. I feel fortunate. Enough rambling
That's the ticket , so right Jim . Probably all the work I have done in life and continue to do is what keeps me going . I have slowed down a little but still continue to do my thing . I still do my own yard work and change my own oil , etc. I never hesitate to use my arm which is my dominate , right arm . The only limitation is heavy lifting is a no, no . I came down so hard I could of broke my hip and didn't . I also swim a lot . I really can't sit for too long . Washing and waxing the trailer really feels good and helps for days . Good thing because the uv' s are really damaging here .
You sound like a good caring brother . This trip you guys make should be a great memory together . Pat
Patandlinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2019, 12:50 PM   #48

Pat I'm trying to make up for when we were kids. In '93 I took him and my nephew on a great adventure up to Montana and Wyoming. We also crossed over north of Glacier and went up to Waterton. That's when I decided I wanted to move to Montana. Years later I flew him to Montana and hauled him up the ALCAN in 2008.
Old 05-21-2019, 12:51 PM   #49

Quote:
So right on Donna ! That is what I do , just adapt ! Pat
Old 05-21-2019, 06:06 PM   #50

Quote:
Pat I'm trying to make up for when we were kids. In '93 I took him and my nephew on a great adventure up to Montana and Wyoming. We also crossed over north of Glacier and went up to Waterton. That's when I decided I wanted to move to Montana. Years later I flew him to Montana and hauled him up the ALCAN in 2008.
Jim what ever you did as a kid I think we all have done . What matters now is today . Don't forget pictures when you pick up ! Pat
Old 05-22-2019, 11:27 AM   #51

Trailer: 2017 F250
To you and “aneisa” (please excuse the spelling), thank you for the pictures. My immediate concern is safety getting down out of bed. Your placement of grab bars is consistent with my stud finder test.

I have installed a second “stripper pole” across from the sink. I am getting ready to install stainless steel boat grab handles in the stair area.

Thank you again.
Little Richie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2019, 11:41 AM   #52

Trailer: 2017 F250
Several years ago I injured my shoulder. I had a small deductible, and my insurance company shelled out $23,000+. All went well, but the surgeon recommend some life style changes. When I pressed him on the issue he noted that if this happened a second time the surgery would be extensive and I would likely be in rehab for 9 months. I gave away my extension ladder, trades in my x-country skies for snow shoes, and pay people to do any work on the roof of our camper.

Life is good and continues to be so.
Little Richie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2019, 01:01 PM   #53

Trailer: 2015 15B
Quote:
My concession to aging has to do with ladders. I will wash Ten Forward (and wax what I can reach) one last time. I've fallen off a ladder twice now and don't want that to ever happen again. From this last point on, I'll either pay someone to wash/wax or just put up with a dirty/chalky trailer. That may be harsh to some or totally unacceptable. Oh well. I know how dangerous ladders can be. I'd rather change my attitude, than fall off a ladder and perhaps never be able to camp again. YMMV.
I hired someone to wash and wax my 15B and he stood on the roof even tho I asked him not to. He also blew away part of some seals on roof. I will never ever hire someone to wash my trailer again.
scoram is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2019, 01:16 PM   #54

Trailer: 2018 Escape 5.0 ta
Some great ideas here. Our main modification is to do more planning and less driving. No need for those 500+ mile days, ending with a stressful search for a site.
We also installed 3 grab bars in the bed area of our 5.0ta.
No more ladder work for us either. Just wash the sides & bribe our 42 year young son to do the roof. 1ce a year or so, pay for a wash & wax.
Attached Thumbnails
89FCE931-D797-4B6C-88B1-88576C5071E5.jpg  
EllieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2019, 07:50 PM   #55

Trailer: No RV
The biggest reason I am leaning towards purchasing a 19 or 21 is because I don’t like the idea of crawling up to the 5th wheel bed and like most older men thats3 times a night, Am I wrong? Also I am 6’3” and it looks like Iwouldnt be able to sit up without hitting head on ceiling.
Higgy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2019, 08:06 PM   #56

Quote:
Originally Posted by Higgy View Post
The biggest reason I am leaning towards purchasing a 19 or 21 is because I don’t like the idea of crawling up to the 5th wheel bed and like most older men thats3 times a night, Am I wrong? Also I am 6’3” and it looks like Iwouldnt be able to sit up without hitting head on ceiling.
You know I'm getting the 5.0 but I could be happy with the 21. I like the idea of a bigger bathroom. I also quit drinking fluids at 6:30pm so I don't have to get up over 2 or 3 times a night. The main important thing is that the other Escape trailers look, well, like just trailers where as the 5.0 looks like something really cool.
Old 06-08-2019, 08:43 PM   #57

Trailer: None, sold my 2014 5.0TA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Higgy View Post
Not exactly apples to apples, but I'm 6'2" and haven't hit my head on the roof. The closest we've gotten to having issues getting in and out of bed is that darn cutoff step in the dark, or sort of dark, with all the lit up indicators the trailer is never really dark. I can see the steps being an issue for some, only you know what'll work for you.
Old 06-09-2019, 08:36 AM   #58

Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
Quote:
You know I'm getting the 5.0 but I could be happy with the 21. I like the idea of a bigger bathroom. I also quit drinking fluids at 6:30pm so I don't have to get up over 2 or 3 times a night. The main important thing is that the other Escape trailers look, well, like just trailers where as the 5.0 looks like something really cool.
I actually prefer a smaller bathroom as the extra space is storage which we feel we need. No problem using it for it's size either, though if in a campground with facilities near we often use those.

No drinks after 6:30? That would eliminate all the beer, wine and whiskey around the campfire which would be way outta normal practice for us.

I bet everyone of us has slightly different practices though.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2019, 08:59 AM   #59

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Bennett View Post
I actually prefer a smaller bathroom as the extra space is storage which we feel we need. No problem using it for it's size either, though if in a campground with facilities near we often use those.

No drinks after 6:30? That would eliminate all the beer, wine and whiskey around the campfire which would be way outta normal practice for us.

I bet everyone of us has slightly different practices though.
I've had to make sacrifices for a half way decent nights sleep. If I drink anything later than 6:30 I can plan on waking up about every 45 minutes. Now the 5.0 bathroom. It's big enough but a little bigger wouldn't hurt? But the size of the bathroom isn't that big a deal to me either way. Having dealt with the storage space or lack there of in a Lance 835 I'm wondering what I'm going to do with all the space in the 5.0. Anyway, in two weeks and one day I'll discover for sure if the bathroom fits my needs and if I have enough storage space. Until then, what the heck do I really know?
Old 06-09-2019, 10:02 AM   #60

Trailer: TBD
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Bennett View Post
No drinks after 6:30? That would eliminate all the beer, wine and whiskey around the campfire which would be way outta normal practice for us. I bet every one of us has slightly different practices though.
Always a compromise. For me, I have found alcoholic beverages act as a diuretic and will result in additional nighttime bathroom trips. Noncaffeinated teas also. Caffeine is definitely a diuretic and stimulant as most know. Water, surprisingly not as much for me. It took me 58 years to learn how to drink alcoholic beverages socially. YMMV!