As we age... - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Me | General Topics > Shopping Escape
Click Here to Login

Old 05-11-2019, 12:43 AM   #1

Trailer: 1998 Casita Spirit
As we age...

In reading current and past threads, a number of you have mentioned changes you have made to your build (or later mods) that might be useful as we age. Getting old in a trailer is not something I’ve thought much about. I have heard mention of reinforcing walls so as to install grab bars, additional lighting and Springfield mount. What specific thoughts does everyone have?
Lisa M. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2019, 01:59 AM   #2

Trailer: 2015 17A - Ready for more Maiden Voyages ....
Getting old? I never thought there was much future in that!

I refuse!

Tom
Old 05-11-2019, 05:52 AM   #3

Trailer: 2017 50 TA, 2016 F150, 2.7 Ecoboost
🤔 Major modifications? Eat right, lots of exercise, go camping as often as possible. Can’t beat the clock but you can slow it down😎
Chotch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2019, 07:17 AM   #4

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
I find the pole by the door and outside handle handy to exit sideways using two hands as well as having handrails on the 5.0 model steps and 21 model by the bed. Having ambient lighting at night helps your eyes adjust better, 120v and 12v night lights. The lower exterior light to illuminate the outside step helps and I avoid trying to balance on one foot in the bath room, so the foot flush option is avoided. Having 12v wire runs avoid lying on ones back trying to feed wires in and around items. Just my thoughts on making it easier to use as we age.
Old 05-11-2019, 08:21 AM   #5

Trailer: 2013 Esc19/'14 Silvrado
Ditto anything that makes bending, kneeling, reaching or seeing and lifting safer and easier. Any stepping up or down is a potential danger point. Never felt a need to have reinforced walls for any of my add-on grab handles.
Attached Thumbnails
grabhand3.jpg   grabHand2.jpg  
Old 05-11-2019, 09:18 AM   #6

Trailer: 2019 5.0 TA
One of my first mods on our new 5.0 was teak grab handles by the stairs to the loft. We also use the “stripper” pole by the sink for exiting. Added remote controlled LED lighting behind the frosted upper cabinets that we can operate once in bed. Ordered captains lights in all 4 corners.
Attached Thumbnails
A49AB402-6A31-4DD5-953F-8DE07745097D.jpg   2005A1BF-FAF0-4DE7-A873-065FDC40D84D.jpg   EEDB9BF1-40E8-4D41-806B-788BD399A52D.jpg  
- Bremerton, WA
arniesea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2019, 09:57 AM   #7
Site Team

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0 TA
My concession to aging has to do with ladders. I will wash Ten Forward (and wax what I can reach) one last time. I've fallen off a ladder twice now and don't want that to ever happen again. From this last point on, I'll either pay someone to wash/wax or just put up with a dirty/chalky trailer. That may be harsh to some or totally unacceptable. Oh well. I know how dangerous ladders can be. I'd rather change my attitude, than fall off a ladder and perhaps never be able to camp again. YMMV.
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2019, 10:26 AM   #8

Trailer: gone, 19 and 21 & 17B with 5.0 now. gone
as we age

DOWN SIZE! Also since we have a steep drive way, I drag the two full cans up the hill and Nancy brings the empties down. That appears to the dangerous direction.
Jack
azjack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2019, 02:53 PM   #9

Trailer: 2018 Escape 17A double dinette
I asked eti to wait and install the black outside handle when I arrived. The usual spot was too high for me. My 17 has no pole by the door—the refrig is on that wall. I had that wall reinforced and put a moen grab handle there for exit.
Old 05-11-2019, 05:02 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donna D. View Post
My concession to aging has to do with ladders. I will wash Ten Forward (and wax what I can reach) one last time. I've fallen off a ladder twice now and don't want that to ever happen again. From this last point on, I'll either pay someone to wash/wax or just put up with a dirty/chalky trailer. That may be harsh to some or totally unacceptable. Oh well. I know how dangerous ladders can be. I'd rather change my attitude, than fall off a ladder and perhaps never be able to camp again. YMMV.
Donna, I agree that ladders are dangerous. Do you have room at your place for rolling scaffolding? Something like this with the guardrails added would provide a large, safe stable way to maintain Ten Forward. https://www.homedepot.com/p/Werner-6...S-72/202822418

I use an aluminum scaffold plank between two A-Frame ladders. It is much safer and I don't have to get up and down the ladders every 3 feet.
- Bremerton, WA
Old 05-11-2019, 05:19 PM   #11

Trailer: 2013 19 Escape
Quote:
Totally agree with you Donna . And you don't even need to be on a ladder to fall . Slipped in a ,would you believe handicap shower at a campground in 2017 . Really took the wind out my sails . It was slippery on a incline . Thank goodness I was done and dressed . But I ripped my right arm rotator cuff totally off the bone and refused surgery . Luckily that was the worst . But it has changed my life and what I can do . My arm will atrophy if I don't do certain exercises every day for the rest of my life .
Be careful on ladders too and you know it isn't worth having a shine on your trailer and maybe get hurt . Just do what you can ! Pat
Patandlinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2019, 06:45 PM   #12

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE
Quote:
From this last point on, I'll either pay someone to wash/wax or just put up with a dirty/chalky trailer.

I've decided I too will ignore the roof, at least. I can't see it anyway, and my understanding and experience is that I will get shorter as I age, so I'm not likely to see the roof any time soon.
Old 05-11-2019, 08:25 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by gbaglo View Post
I've decided I too will ignore the roof, at least. I can't see it anyway, and my understanding and experience is that I will get shorter as I age, so I'm not likely to see the roof any time soon.
Unfortunately I park my trailer in the drive, one story below my side kitchen deck where all our trash and recycling cans are. I see the roof every time I take out the trash!
- Bremerton, WA
Old 05-11-2019, 08:31 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patandlinda View Post
But I ripped my right arm rotator cuff totally off the bone and refused surgery . Luckily that was the worst . But it has changed my life and what I can do . My arm will atrophy if I don't do certain exercises every day for the rest of my life .
Oh Pat! I'm so sorry this happened. Even with surgery to repair a torn rotator cuff two years ago, my wife still has limited motion in that arm.

Our shoulders are asked to move in a greater range than any other joint in the body. It is hard when they are injured. Good on you for keeping on the exercises!
- Bremerton, WA
Old 05-11-2019, 10:09 PM   #15

Trailer: 2017 5.0 TA picked up in July 2017.
Dust, dirt and bug splotches protect the gelcoat from UV damage almost as well as wax does.
SFDavis50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2019, 11:29 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by arniesea View Post
Oh Pat! I'm so sorry this happened. Even with surgery to repair a torn rotator cuff two years ago, my wife still has limited motion in that arm.

Our shoulders are asked to move in a greater range than any other joint in the body. It is hard when they are injured. Good on you for keeping on the exercises!
When the surgeon told me my odds , I decided to go to PT and that helped with more movement and the pain . Now I use the information I learned and do my best at home . I was told the socket space will just get bigger and of course , seniors best friend , arthritis. At this age I will just deal with what comes along . Arnie ,I was just lucky it wasn't worst like the hip etc. PT really helped . One of my son in laws had 2 surgeries and he still has trouble .
As we age we just need to take it easy . Thankyou for caring Arnie Pat
Old 05-11-2019, 11:31 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by SFDavis50 View Post
Dust, dirt and bug splotches protect the gelcoat from UV damage almost as well as wax does.
You just gave me the best laugh of my day ! You know what probably true ! Pat
Old 05-12-2019, 07:45 AM   #18

Trailer: 2017 Escape 17B
Quote:
After a few near mishaps, I purchased an orchard ladder. Their wide stance makes them quite stable and they are very easy to set up, even on uneven ground. Great help when placing the cover on the RV each fall. And picking fruit of course!
Attached Thumbnails
Orchard Ladder.jpg  
suncoastdancers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2019, 10:17 AM   #19

Trailer: 2018 21 Sept 7 2018
Just don’t tear your triceps muscle and tendon off your elbow like I did this past November. Just now finishing therapy now to play major catch up getting ready for escape rally
Oldtimer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2019, 10:55 AM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldtimer View Post
Just don’t tear your triceps muscle and tendon off your elbow like I did this past November. Just now finishing therapy now to play major catch up getting ready for escape rally
I can't sort of relate OUCH ! Pat