At last, we are official! - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Me | General Topics > Shopping Escape
Click Here to Login

Old 07-24-2018, 10:56 AM   #1

Trailer: 2019 5.0TA "Junior", 2019 Ram 1500 5.7 Hemi
At last, we are official!

We weren't planning on ordering our 5.0TA until this fall for a spring 2019 pickup....but with the recent change in window availability we had to place our order right now before the frameless windows are discontinued. We travel with cats, are out hiking and gone all day a lot, and it's important for us to be able to leave numerous windows open and not have to worry about rain so the frameless awning windows are absolutely the way to go for us.

So as of this morning we are no longer just lurkers...we are official members of the Escape family! I can't overstate how helpful everyone on this forum has been in recent months as we've been learning the ropes. We are longtime RV'ers but new to the fiberglass world, our old stick and tin small fifth wheel was almost the same floor plan as the 5.0TA but died a slow lingering death from repeated roof leaks. Won't have that problem with our Escape

Tonight we'll celebrate....and then begin stressing out about a looming build sheet deadline that we had been assuming was still many months away We have a Jan. 8 production date so Oct. 8 is right around the corner. No complaints, though, the timing could have worked out in a way that we weren't able to get what we wanted so we are happy. And when it's completed our trailer will just have to sit in the snow behind ETI until we're able to come get it in the spring. In spite of the distance from Austin, we are planning a road trip to Chilliwack in early September to break in our new 2019 Ram and see things in person at ETI to be able to better make those last few decisions about what goes where.
Attached Thumbnails
P7234286.jpg  
Old 07-24-2018, 12:13 PM   #2

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
Wow, a 2019 tow and a 2019 trailer, congrats. Mine will be hatching Jan 21, 2019, perhaps the last 21 one with frameless and power awning, LE for "Last Edition". It will stay there until the rally in May, 2019. Yours maybe the "LE" for the 5.0TA with frameless?
Old 07-24-2018, 12:17 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpaharley2008 View Post
Yours maybe the "LE" for the 5.0TA with frameless?
That was the last date we could still get the power awning - I think the frameless windows will still be available for much of January. Of course, if you get the frameless windows and Carefree awning you won't be able to open the passenger side dinette window unless the awning is open.
Old 07-24-2018, 04:46 PM   #4

Trailer: 2015 21ft Escape "Spirit of the Plains", 2014 GMC Sierra with max tow package
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpaharley2008 View Post
Wow, a 2019 tow and a 2019 trailer, congrats. Mine will be hatching Jan 21, 2019, perhaps the last 21 one with frameless and power awning, LE for "Last Edition". It will stay there until the rally in May, 2019. Yours maybe the "LE" for the 5.0TA with frameless?
Are you sure you want that power awning? It looked like trouble to me the first time I saw it. Loren
Loren & Cathy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2018, 04:56 PM   #5

Trailer: 2018 Escape 5.0 TA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Loren & Cathy View Post
Are you sure you want that power awning? It looked like trouble to me the first time I saw it. Loren
You have some catching up to do as you missed the brief discussion ...Hope you are healing up well and will be back on the road soon.

http://www.escapeforum.org/forums/f4...ges-13274.html

http://www.escapeforum.org/forums/f7...now-13280.html
MikeS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2018, 05:11 PM   #6

Trailer: 2015 21ft Escape "Spirit of the Plains", 2014 GMC Sierra with max tow package
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeS View Post
You have some catching up to do as you missed the brief discussion ...Hope you are healing up well and will be back on the road soon.

http://www.escapeforum.org/forums/f4...ges-13274.html

http://www.escapeforum.org/forums/f7...now-13280.html
I did see where they are going back to the other awning and was just wondering if cp would have the choice of one or the other. Loren
Loren & Cathy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2018, 05:21 PM   #7

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
I had the power awning on my 19 Escape, as well as the awning windows, loved both of them and would not have sold it knowing there was not a replacement.
Old 07-24-2018, 06:04 PM   #8

Trailer: "The Trailer", 2nd Gen 21' & a 2017 Tundra CrewMax in Blazing Blue Pearl
Kitty Treats?

Yay! Congrats!

Did the kitties get any extra treats and did you tell them all about their new traveling home?

I really like my frameless windows as well as the power awning. Once Reece got it adjusted correctly, it's been working great the few times I use it. It got a good workout at the rally in Bandon this past week as lots of folks wanted to see how it worked. And I know that the wind sensor definitely works!

Now that I'm home from my big travels, I plan to start getting Spike and Sam used to harnesses and see how they do in the trailer. Spike went last year and thought everything was gonna kill him. We got Sam after those 2 trips, so I haven't tested him out.

Yeah, the kitty box situation. My solution was to put it on the floor of the bathroom and fling it out when we needed to use it.
NW Cat Owner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2018, 06:45 PM   #9

On our previous trailer we used our awning much more for shade than for rain protection, so I think the electric will work fine for us - especially knowing in advance about the rain-shedding issues.

Still working out where the litter box will go...but if the kitties aren't happy, nobody is happy...so we are looking first at the bathroom floor even if it means climbing over it to use our own litter box
Old 07-24-2018, 06:47 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by NW Cat Owner View Post
Now that I'm home from my big travels, I plan to start getting Spike and Sam used to harnesses and see how they do in the trailer. Spike went last year and thought everything was gonna kill him. We got Sam after those 2 trips, so I haven't tested him out.
Most of our cats have tended to be pretty freaked out their first day or two in the trailer, but then they have settled right in and seem to really like camping.
Old 07-24-2018, 06:47 PM   #11
Site Team

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0 TA
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidmurphy02 View Post
Still working out where the litter box will go...but if the kitties aren't happy, nobody is happy...so we are looking first at the bathroom floor even if it means climbing over it to use our own litter box
Hummm, the floor space in the 5.0TA bathroom is pretty dang small. I don't know if there's room for a litter box and then to climb over it. I know that wouldn't work for me.
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2018, 08:03 PM   #12

Trailer: "The Trailer", 2nd Gen 21' & a 2017 Tundra CrewMax in Blazing Blue Pearl
Quote:

Wonder if you could get a space opened up in the cabinet by the door for a litter box. Would have to be a pretty small box. I was originally thinking I'd get one custom made for the space at the foot of the bed (in a 21) but realized it would be too narrow for my big kitty Spike, so I nixed that idea.

You'll need to fling the litter box outside of the bathroom when you need to use it yourselves. I tried to get around one in mine and it didn't work.

Quote:
Most of our cats have tended to be pretty freaked out their first day or two in the trailer, but then they have settled right in and seem to really like camping.

Spike did do better on the second day, but he still liked to hide under the blankets most of the time. Although Dirk discovered he needed to open the blinds a bit at night as Spike really wanted to look out the windows at all the invading bears (or whatever he thought was out there) and by golly he was gonna look out there even if he had to walk across Dirk's face. I tried to warn him. He knows better now.
NW Cat Owner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2018, 11:00 PM   #13

Trailer: 2018 Escape 17A double dinette
Congrats! The build sheet is fun. I had a sudden opportunity to Move Up Completion date by 5 mo but that left me only about a month for build sheet. It was pretty hairy as it was also just before Xmas but turned out great and saved me a lot of back and forth mind changing. The folks on this forum and a friend who had just purchased a 17 were so helpful and patient, as was the person I worked with at ETI. So far (2 months) no regrets on anything I chose or deleted. Good luck!
Old 07-25-2018, 06:53 AM   #14

Trailer: none
Congrats, David, and keep us posted!
Old 07-25-2018, 12:41 PM   #15

Trailer: none
Quote:
I've been thinking a little about the litter box issue since it would affect us as well.

The first step going up to the bed looks to be a fairly small space and may not be much use for storage. I'm wondering if the cabinet face could be cutout enough for the cats to enter. The box could be cleaned out by opening the step. It would probably need to be a fairly small box, tho.

This photo is from the Escape website.
Attached Thumbnails
Interior.jpg  
Old 07-25-2018, 01:00 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hilola View Post
I've been thinking a little about the litter box issue since it would affect us as well.

The first step going up to the bed looks to be a fairly small space and may not be much use for storage. I'm wondering if the cabinet face could be cutout enough for the cats to enter. The box could be cleaned out by opening the step. It would probably need to be a fairly small box, tho.

This photo is from the Escape website.
That is one possibility we are looking at. The first step, having seen a 5.0TA in person, is too small for a litter box. But it does look like some or all of the storage area under the middle and top step could accommodate a litter box, with a kitty door opening next to where the angled first step wall comes in. Sure would hate to lose all that storage space, though - we will take a hard look at possibilities for the bathroom first.