Awning & window changes - Page 2 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Me | General Topics > Shopping Escape
Click Here to Login

Old 07-12-2018, 08:52 PM   #21

Trailer: 2017 Escape 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eggscape View Post
I like the idea of pushing the button and the awning opens but a what battery loss...not worth $700 extra when you can’t use it the same in the rain.
Was camping last week at Rathtrevor on Vancouver Island and managed to drain the battery on the night just prior to returning home. Of course the awning was partially extended Just took a few minutes of recharging with the tow to get it to retract.

I had some misgivings about the awning when we ordered the trailer but so far I really like it for ease of use and clean aesthetics. And, as others have mentioned in other threads, it drains water fine if not fully extended. I do understand why some don’t trust it in the rain though.

So far, all our frameless windows have been good with no separations and no leaks.
Micheal K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2018, 08:54 PM   #22

Trailer: Escape 21 2019
Awning & window changes

Disappointing news about issues with the frameless windows. Was looking forward to a rear window that opens. Anxious to hear if ETI is returning to the same windows on the 2015 Escape 21 I recently sold, or have a new version in mind.
Andrea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2018, 09:00 PM   #23

Trailer: 2017 Escape 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Bennett View Post
Pretty sure they will be sliders.

I am so glad I have the frameless, I love the look and operation of them. They have been around for many years now, so have to wonder why issues now? Or have there always been issues?
I know some people have had window failures but I also wonder if sliders are needed so certain windows can be opened when the new (old?) carefee awning is stowed? Thinking that the awning arms could block an awning style window from opening.
Micheal K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2018, 09:07 PM   #24

Trailer: 2018 21 Sept 7 2018
I called and talked to Tammy if you have a unit on order you can call and change the awning and windows at no charge and they will credit you the difference in the pricing.
Another fantastic reason to buy an escape
Oldtimer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2018, 09:21 PM   #25

Trailer: 2018 21' ; 2014 19' (Sold)
Just noticed your trailer has a September 7 delivery and ours is September 10. Can I assume that changing back to the 'old' awning and windows applies to our trailers as well ....

Jan

We do not remember days, we remember moments.
- Cesare Pavese
CADreamin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2018, 09:28 PM   #26
Site Team

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0 TA
The info says "Effective January 1, 2019: Upcoming Changes for 2019
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2018, 09:37 PM   #27

Trailer: 2016 19 classic "outta sight", jeep rubicon unlimited
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidmurphy02 View Post
Really bummed if they go back to only sliders. We travel with our cats and when we're away from the trailer need to leave windows open a bit for ventilation for them, the awning style windows are important for that - don't want to be away and risk having sliders open if it rains. We're getting ready to order for Spring 2019 delivery....hoping there is still some kind of awning style window option.
Our Escape is the classic design, with the sliders. The extra (optional) opening window over the sink is awning style. With that one open and the maxx fan going, pets should have a comfortable stay in the trailer, when needed.
Old 07-12-2018, 09:38 PM   #28

Trailer: 2010 17B “MATT”, then 2017 19 “Lilly”
Well, I’m very glad to have gotten both the limited edition awning and frameless windows. We’ve been trouble free (knock on wood) and really enjoyed both the functionality and aesthetics of both, vs our 2010 17B’s more traditional appointments. Sad not everyone had the same fortune.
Old 07-12-2018, 09:42 PM   #29

Trailer: 2019 Escape 21 towed by F-150 with 2.7l eb, formerly Escape 17B 2017
Quote:

I am so glad I have the frameless, I love the look and operation of them. They have been around for many years now, so have to wonder why issues now? Or have there always been issues?
I already have a question into ETI about the windows. I loved the frameless windows on our 17, and never had any issues, I was sort of hoping that our new trailer (which will be a 2019, but to be delivered in December), whether we will still be able to get the frameless, or at least have the choice. We had intended to revert to the classic awning though.
Chris & Patricia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2018, 09:44 PM   #30

Trailer: 2018 21' ; 2014 19' (Sold)
Well, if we had to wait until 2019 to pick up our trailer, I would gladly wait just so I could get the old awning and sliding windows. I loved our awning (and our screen room) and the sliding windows were no problem for us. I have a query into Escape to find out if we can make the change.

Jan

We do not remember days, we remember moments.
- Cesare Pavese
CADreamin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2018, 09:53 PM   #31

Trailer: 2017 21' Escape - upgraded version
Quote:

The bad build issues started when Hehr started building them in the new facility in California. The ones I have received from Illinois have been ok. Before then, it seems to be mostly fogging issues.

Hehr has had problems with the thermal frameless since they came out but nothing like the failures they are going through lately.
http://www.irv2.com/forums/f84/hehr-...nt-278978.html
http://www.5thwheelforums.com/forums...ead.php?t=1845
http://www.rvnetwork.com/topic/12853...ir-facilities/

and on and on...
Old 07-12-2018, 10:02 PM   #32

Trailer: 2010 17B “MATT”, then 2017 19 “Lilly”
Quote:
Originally Posted by tdf-texas View Post
The issues started when Hehr started building them in the new facility in California. The ones I have received from Illinois have been ok.

How can one tell which facility manufactured one’s windows?
Old 07-12-2018, 10:07 PM   #33

Trailer: 2012 Escape "Classic" 5.0 SA
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpaharley2008 View Post
Heck if I know, I'm sort of in limbo, my 19 is gone this week, I have a 2019 on order with the frameless windows and power awning, supposed to be completed in December and sit until the rally in May, now I'm not sure what to do. HELP.....

Just do what you usually do, take delivery of the 21 with frameless windows and power awning then use up some of the propane and then order a 2020 19' ..... :-)

2012 Escape "Classic" 5.0 SA / 2017 F150, 2.7 EcoBoost 4X4 Supercab
Former trailers: 2005 Escape 17B / 1972 Boler 13'
barry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2018, 10:08 PM   #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by sclifrickson View Post
How can one tell which facility manufactured one’s windows?
If I remember correctly, look at the top hinge - if it has screws, Illinois - if it has rivets, California.

Rease has had both my replacements sent from Illinois - you can tell the difference in quality. Makes you wonder what they are smoking on the west coast.
Old 07-12-2018, 10:09 PM   #35

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21C 2019 Expedition
Quote:
Originally Posted by sclifrickson View Post
Well, I’m very glad to have gotten both the limited edition awning and frameless windows. We’ve been trouble free (knock on wood) and really enjoyed both the functionality and aesthetics of both, vs our 2010 17B’s more traditional appointments. Sad not everyone had the same fortune.
Yes, and the thing to remember is that many if not most owners do not post here, so there is no way of knowing the true scope of problems. Also, it seems to me that Escape doesn't have the resources to deal with systemic recurring issues and has too much integrity to just blow people off so they are forced to pivot back to the tried & true.
Old 07-12-2018, 10:27 PM   #36
Site Team

Trailer: 2015 19 "Past Tents", 2021 F150 Lariat 2.7L EB
Escape would not go back to the framed windows unless it makes business sense. My guess is they've had breakage and leaks at a higher rate than with the original style. It's kind of a shame though because the frameless offer awning opening, and the look is so sleek. For those who have the frameless rear opening window in their 19, I envy you.
Old 07-12-2018, 10:39 PM   #37

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rossue View Post
Yes, and the thing to remember is that many if not most owners do not post here, so there is no way of knowing the true scope of problems. Also, it seems to me that Escape doesn't have the resources to deal with systemic recurring issues and has too much integrity to just blow people off so they are forced to pivot back to the tried & true.
The window problem is not Rease's fault - he tried to give us the best trailer he could build. Hehr is the one that let everyone down. The windows coming out of California were crap. On one of mine, the split windows were so out of line, that one window hit both seals of the middle bar and the other didn't hit any part of the seal and had an air gap into the trailer. Look in the pic - that window should have been striking the middle seal, not to the side of it.

I can understand why Rease has had enough of this. He takes great pride in what he turns out but his only control on part manufacturers is to stop using them if they can't maintain quality.

And I would think that not all the trailers have problems with the windows. On most of them, the windows are fine. But for the ones that were faulty, it was probably giving Rease grey hairs dealing with Hehr.
Attached Thumbnails
Right window gap.jpg  
Old 07-12-2018, 10:48 PM   #38

Trailer: Escape #2 On The Way
Quote:
Originally Posted by Micheal K View Post
Was camping last week at Rathtrevor on Vancouver Island and managed to drain the battery on the night just prior to returning home. Of course the awning was partially extendended. Just took a few minutes of recharging with the tow to get it to retract.
Whoa! Back up the truck.
Did you use jumper cables or just plug the 7pin from the trailer to your TV. I’m just about to purchase a cheap back-up battery for our 2-3 week trip of mixed boondocking and full service and worry about what I’d do if I ran out of juice before the awning is retracted.. Little off topic, but not really. That’s one worry I’ve always had with this awning.
Bakes99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2018, 11:06 PM   #39

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE
I thought it has a manual override.
Old 07-12-2018, 11:10 PM   #40

Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
You pop the left end cap off and use a 3/8" wrench to roll it up. Quite easy to do.

Still, charging the battery would be my first go to.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote