Awning & window changes - Page 9 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Me | General Topics > Shopping Escape
Click Here to Login
Register Files FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 07-18-2018, 05:01 AM   #161

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
Why do you think I put LE in my avatar awhile back-limited, last, legacy all work
Old 07-18-2018, 05:45 AM   #162

Trailer: 2017 Escape 19
Thank you TDF

I like the silver one
Now to determine where to stick, it
Bear101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2018, 09:42 AM   #163

Trailer: 2017 Escape 19 - June 27, 2017
Quote:
Originally Posted by tdf-texas View Post
Changing windows is about a 30 minute job.

You unscrew the trim inside ( the screws are all those little ones around the trim on the inside) and push the window out (wife held it for me). Put new gasket on the replacement window and insert in the window opening. Put trim back on and reattach with the screws.

I added some shims on the bottom to help hold the window in the correct position as it was hard to position it at the same time I was putting the screws back in the trim. Once the trim is attached with the trim screws, the window is locked in place.

Pics below: Pic 1 is of window I had to replace.
Pic 2 is the opening when window is out.
Pic 3 is outside pic of shims I inserted to center the window for reinsertion.
Pic 4 is inside pic of same shims. (shims help to hold the window in correct position while you are attaching inside trim. )
Looks simpler than I thought. At least we can relax and know that IF we end up being among the 1%-er's, the change to our LE 19' won't be a major construction project. Replacing the awning is an unknown.

Having said that, we're in our second season now and do like the frameless windows and the power awning, at least so far.
rjbny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2018, 09:46 AM   #164

Trailer: 2018 Escape 5.0 TA
Quote:
Originally Posted by rjbny View Post
Looks simpler than I thought. At least we can relax and know that IF we end up being among the 1%-er's, the change to our LE 19' won't be a major construction project. Replacing the awning is an unknown.

Having said that, we're in our second season now and do like the frameless windows and the power awning, at least so far.
I was thinking the same, if Tom can switch the window in 30 minutes I should be able to do it in 90 minutes. Thats not a catastrophe in my book.
MikeS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2018, 09:47 AM   #165

Trailer: 2017 Escape 21; previously a 2012 Escape 19
We picked up our new Escape 21 Nov. 30, 2017 and have made three 2-week camping trips. Thus far, the power awning and frame-less thermal windows have been great with no issues. Our 2012 19 had the old sliders and we sometimes had leaks primarily due to wind driven rain. The new windows are a major improvement, glad we have them.

I have mixed thoughts about the power awning but it sure is convenient. I made a simple T-device (expanding tarp pole to a piece of PVC pipe) to handle the rain and used it last month at the Oregon coast with success. I would like to have a side curtain to help with late afternoon shade but have not worked out a design yet.
Old 07-18-2018, 10:01 AM   #166

Location: Lanesboro, MN, between Whalan and Fountain, Minnesota
Trailer: 2016 Bigfoot 25RQ - (2018 Escape 5.0 sold)
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeS View Post
I think it would be ok without the frameless but they have to be able to supply them all as thermal. If they can work that out I could see them sticking with the framed windows. I do think we will see a new awning by the 2020s though.
We would get the framed windows, but the rear, (the largest) is not only fixed, but also single pane, so it will fog up. In addition, the bathroom slider window is also single pane. We camp in the shoulder seasons and want to keep our heat and eliminate fogging/water condensation. We've had a Scamp and Casita with their large single windows and know how cold/wet those windows could get in the shoulder seasons.

I find it hard to believe those two windows are not available in double pane sliders, since we have windows that size in our Lance. If Escape would offer ALL double pane windows we'd get sliders.

Enjoy,

Perry
Perry Butler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2018, 10:04 AM   #167
Site Team

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0 TA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Perryb67 View Post
We would get the framed windows, but the rear, (the largest) is not only fixed, but also single pane, so it will fog up.
I have framed windows in my trailer. While the rear window in my trailer is a non-opening window, it IS dual-pane. I only have two windows in my trailer that are not dual-pane. Bathroom window, it opens. And door window, it doesn't open.
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2018, 10:04 AM   #168

Trailer: 2018 Escape 5.0 TA
Quote:
...If Escape would offer ALL double pane windows we'd
Perry
I think that is the key, I don't have a big problem with framed windows but we wanted thermal. The bedroom windows are not thermal in the 5.0 as sliders/framed. I did think the rear non opening slider was in fact thermal though, but I could be wrong and I suppose it may vary between models.
MikeS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2018, 10:04 AM   #169

Trailer: 2010 17B “MATT”, then 2017 19 “Lilly”
Quote:
We would get the framed windows, but the rear, (the largest) is not only fixed, but also single pane, so it will fog up.

I’m pretty sure the fixed, framed, rear window is dual pane if you get the thermal package. The front window is single pane, but I believe that’s to meet safety code requirements.
Old 07-18-2018, 10:06 AM   #170

Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
Quote:
I think that is the key, I don't have a big problem with framed windows but we wanted thermal. The bedroom windows are not thermal in the 5.0 as sliders/framed. I did think the rear non opening slider was in fact thermal though, but I could be wrong and I suppose it may vary between models.
I am pretty sure too the rear window is thermal with the framed option. Only the front window with the rock guard is single pane, and still is even with the frameless windows.

But, I was wrong once before.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2018, 10:24 AM   #171
Site Team

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0 TA
Quote:
The bedroom windows are not thermal in the 5.0 as sliders/framed.
Correct. I got the non-opening thermal in the loft. With the big egress vent over the top of the bed, I get plenty of fresh air. Actually thought if the blinds were down (like sleeping time), not much air would flow through the opening windows anyway. I'm happy with my decision.
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2018, 11:01 AM   #172

Location: Lanesboro, MN, between Whalan and Fountain, Minnesota
Trailer: 2016 Bigfoot 25RQ - (2018 Escape 5.0 sold)
When I asked the other day I thought Linda said the rear window was single pane.

However, with my hearing I could have heard wrong. I'll be calling back when I get a chance and report, unless someone beats me to it.

Enjoy,

Perry
Perry Butler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2018, 11:01 AM   #173

Trailer: 2017 19 Escape
I just spent over two months visiting the west coast in my 2017 19 and had no problems with my power awning or frameless thermal windows. I really like both of them, especially the awning which I used regularly. I didn’t always need to extend it all the way, just enough to shade the side of the trailer and provide cover for my grill and chairs. I do understand from a manufacture’s perspective why these changes might be warranted.
Moaboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2018, 11:07 AM   #174

Quote:
When I asked the other day I thought Linda said the rear window was single pane.

However, with my hearing I could have heard wrong. I'll be calling back when I get a chance and report back, unless someone beats me to it.

Enjoy,

Perry
The framed non opening rear window is double if you get the framed thermal package. In the frameless, they are all double paned, all open, except for the front in the 21 and 19 models.
Old 07-18-2018, 11:36 AM   #175

Trailer: 2018 Escape 17A
We are awaiting the build of our 19' trailer. I called just last week and Tammy allowed us to change back to the framed thermal windows from the frameless. For us, we have small kids and I could see over-tightening being an issue for us that we did not want to have. We did however decide to keep the power awning since wind is one of our main concerns here in Colorado.
sainem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2018, 11:36 AM   #176

Trailer: 2017 19 Escape
Quote:
Originally Posted by rbryan4 View Post
I'm with you on this Karen and Ken. If you have to be careful not to tighten the windows, that's a finicky design. If you can't rely on the awning shedding water or auto-retracting that's a finicky design. The manufacturers invariably seem to blame the customer for "misuse". Better to come up with a more consistent and bullet proof design.
For those new buyers making decisions, I should have added in my recent post that not only did I not have any problems this Summer, but also after picking up my Escape last May, I spent the summer in Alaska and also had no problems with the frameless double pane windows or power awning.
I really like the auto retraction feature on the awning. Mine works well. Towards the end of my trip, I was out at the Jubilee in Laramie WY (good fun) when the winds kicked up and when I got back the awning had automatically retracted. Yes, it does limit ur hanging a side curtain on it etc. but being able to quickly and easily put it out part way, like when I stop for lunch at a very hot, sunny rest stop, is a big plus.
Bottom line, based on my experience, I would not hesitate to order an Escape with the power awning and frameless thermal windows. Either way, the Escape is a great RV.
Moaboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2018, 11:38 AM   #177

Trailer: 2010 17B “MATT”, then 2017 19 “Lilly”
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpaharley2008 View Post
The framed non opening rear window is double if you get the framed thermal package. In the frameless, they are all double paned, all open, except for the front in the 21 and 19 models.

...And the door [emoji6]
Old 07-18-2018, 12:10 PM   #178

Quote:
Originally Posted by sclifrickson View Post
...And the door [emoji6]
is also thermal and double paned, standard, and opens....the door that is, not the thermal window in the door.
Old 07-18-2018, 02:18 PM   #179

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21C 2019 Expedition
Quote:
We would get the framed windows, but the rear, (the largest) is not only fixed, but also single pane, so it will fog up. In addition, the bathroom slider window is also single pane. We camp in the shoulder seasons and want to keep our heat and eliminate fogging/water condensation. We've had a Scamp and Casita with their large single windows and know how cold/wet those windows could get in the shoulder seasons.

I find it hard to believe those two windows are not available in double pane sliders, since we have windows that size in our Lance. If Escape would offer ALL double pane windows we'd get sliders.

Enjoy,

Perry
Are you sure about the rear window in a 21 being single pane? I know ours is double pane or thermal picture window. I know if you get the front window then like all models it is single pane.
Old 07-18-2018, 02:24 PM   #180

Since Perryb67 is not an owner speaking from experience, he may have misheard the correct information. The 2019 offering is framed thermal windows, thus double paned. Except for certain models front and optional windows.