Awning LED strip - Escape Trailer Owners Community

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Me | General Topics > Shopping Escape
Click Here to Login
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 
Old 11-07-2016, 06:36 PM   #1
Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2016
Location: Tallahassee, Florida
Trailer: 2017 19’
Posts: 52
Awning LED strip

Do you have the awning LED strip? and do you like it?
__________________

dan55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2016, 07:17 PM   #2
Senior Member
 
t-twnbob's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Location: Mesa, Arizona
Trailer: '15 Escape 5.0 TA
Posts: 184
We like ours and would definitely order it again. Not the best picture, but will give you idea of what it looks like.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg led awning light.jpg (156.3 KB, 55 views)
__________________

__________________
2013 GMC Sierra CC Max Tow
2011 Casita 17 SD-sold
2015 Escape 5.0TA.
"How can I be lost, if I have no place to go"
t-twnbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2016, 07:29 PM   #3
Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Location: Nanaimo, British Columbia
Trailer: "The Noble Nest" 2016 Escape 21
Posts: 42
One of our Favorites!

We love the LED awning strip. Lights up the entire area nicely but has a remote to dim also. No regrets there...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg _W8A5621.jpg (120.0 KB, 32 views)
kendo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2016, 07:58 PM   #4
Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2016
Location: Tallahassee, Florida
Trailer: 2017 19’
Posts: 52
Thanks for posting the pictures...saw one in daylight...hard to picture it in use during daylight.
dan55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2016, 08:05 PM   #5
Senior Member
 
Jim Bennett's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Calgary, Alberta
Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
Posts: 13,196
Quote:
Originally Posted by dan55 View Post
Do you have the awning LED strip? and do you like it?
You do realize this is a loaded question. If someone ordered it, they are going to love it. I am that way when I make a decision too.

That said, I am not keen on it. I am just not a fan of lit up trailers, and instead prefer things as dark as possible. Also not a fan of streetlights in campgrounds other than a light on the washrooms. It is just what I am used to.

But, if you have the strip light, and don't want it on, there is a real simple solution.
__________________
2017 Escape 5.0 TA
2015 Ford F150 Lariat 3.5L EcoBoost
2009 Escape 19 (previous)
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2016, 08:24 PM   #6
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2015
Location: los angeles, California
Trailer: 2017-21' Escape born Dec 28, 2016, Casita 17' (sold)
Posts: 1,165
Wink

For $25 ETI will put a 12v drop anywhere you want, pretty much

I find that white light attracts bugs like crazy, some places.

Where orange or red does not.

The Escape LED light strip only does white

I decided to get a 12 v drop in the curb side upper cabinet, so I can easily add my own multicolor possible, exterior, strip light, later

For far less than $175 CAD - or whatever the ETI one costs.

There is a good thread about just this, somewhere here.

:-)
Losangeles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2016, 08:34 PM   #7
Site Team
 
rbryan4's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Location: San Antonio, Texas
Trailer: 2015 19 "Past Tents", 2018 F150 2.7L Ecoboost
Posts: 9,144
Quote:
Originally Posted by Losangeles View Post
For $25 ETI will put a 12v drop anywhere you want, pretty much

I find that white light attracts bugs like crazy, some places.

Where orange or red does not.

The Escape LED light strip only does white

I decided to get a 12 v drop in the curb side upper cabinet, so I can easily add my own multicolor possible, exterior, strip light, later

For far less than $175 CAD - or whatever the ETI one costs.

There is a good thread about just this, somewhere here.

:-)
That's exactly what we did John. Total cost for the strip, remote and RF controller wheel was about $35. I realized I have very few photos of the Led strip in use, but here's one at Big Bend, with the strip tuned to orange. No bugs with this color, and plenty of illumination when you need it. One other side benefit is that orange or red light doesn't affect your night vision, which we appreciated doing some star gazing that night. It's also interesting to play with the colors. The trailer looks very different lit up with deep blue or emerald green.
__________________
"You can't buy happiness, but you can buy an RV. And that is pretty close."
rbryan4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2016, 08:41 PM   #8
Senior Member
 
Jimrules's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2015
Location: Monona, Wisconsin
Trailer: 2017 19' "Hardley" 2015 Grand Cherokee diesel
Posts: 302
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Bennett View Post
That said, I am not keen on it. I am just not a fan of lit up trailers, and instead prefer things as dark as possible. Also not a fan of streetlights in campgrounds other than a light on the washrooms. It is just what I am used to.

But, if you have the strip light, and don't want it on, there is a real simple solution.
Like Jim we're dark campers. We had even planned to put our (amber) outside light below the belly band to light up the step when needed while minimizing the spread. We weren't even considering the LED light strip until we saw cpaharley's new 19'. He had the same amber light below the belly band AND the LED strip. It seems like the perfect combination to us.
For the way we use lights it will be nice that it will be dimmable and spread evenly along the camper. I'm sure we won't use it much but it will be nice when we do.
Jimrules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2016, 08:43 PM   #9
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2015
Location: los angeles, California
Trailer: 2017-21' Escape born Dec 28, 2016, Casita 17' (sold)
Posts: 1,165
Quote:
Originally Posted by rbryan4 View Post
That's exactly what we did John. Total cost for the strip, remote and RF controller wheel was about $35. I realized I have very few photos of the Led strip in use, but here's one at Big Bend, with the strip tuned to orange. No bugs with this color, and plenty of illumination when you need it. One other side benefit is that orange or red light doesn't affect your night vision, which we appreciated doing some star gazing that night. It's also interesting to play with the colors. The trailer looks very different lit up with deep blue or emerald green.
OOOHHHH that looks SOOO cool!!!

Nicely done.

My only minor stumbling block was that I knew I wanted to take your great advice and get a controller that didn't rely on line of sight (so I guess RF, not IR)

and on Amazon.com I looked at tons of different RGBWW LED exterior rated strips, plus tons of different controllers, and there were no clear winners....

all of them had some positive reviews, and some very very negative reviews.

so I have decided to wait 'till we get our 21' home in early 2017... then resume the research.

I'tll keep me busy for a while then.

John
Losangeles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2016, 09:09 PM   #10
Site Team
 
rbryan4's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Location: San Antonio, Texas
Trailer: 2015 19 "Past Tents", 2018 F150 2.7L Ecoboost
Posts: 9,144
Yep, no clear winners is right. The strips as well as the controllers are made in China, and most are of (shall we say) lesser quality. But, the good news is, they're so cheap that they're easy to replace if something goes wrong.

EDIT: ours is a Ledenet RGBW, but Supernight makes one that has screw terminals instead of the spring ones. It's controlled by your phone via Bluetooth, so no remote to keep track of. No idea about the quality, but it's inexpensive.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01JZ82IVQ..._FnuiybDT2RNEX
__________________

__________________
"You can't buy happiness, but you can buy an RV. And that is pretty close."
rbryan4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off






» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Disclaimer:

This website is not affiliated with or endorsed by Escape Trailer Industries or any of its affiliates. This is an independent, unofficial site.



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:59 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Copyright 2012 Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.