Bathroom Door & Main Door Latch - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Me | General Topics > Shopping Escape
Click Here to Login
Register Files FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 06-13-2017, 11:28 AM   #1

Trailer: 2017 Escape 19 'Irvy'
Bathroom Door & Main Door Latch

Hi Everyone,

We dropped by Escape yesterday to look at all the different models. One thing my husband noticed right away was the gap in the bathroom door, it isn't the full size of the opening. We were told for air circulation but we ordered the window and it has a fan....so why a gap

We were also told our escape 19 will not have the outside door latch (to hold door open), new door will be stiffer so won't be necessary. Our concern was the thermal window, when open, someone can push the door so they connect. Does anyone have this new door without the outside latch??

Thanks☺
ISeyes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2017, 11:42 AM   #2

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
The bathroom door has been cut smaller to allow air circulation in/out of the area, with or without the window. Heat in the winter and cooling in the summer. Believe me , if you had an older model with the full size door you will appreciate the gaps at top and bottom. As far as the new door hinge vs the older style lock tab, it is an improvement that ETI is installing. You can always add the lock tab after delivery if so desired.
Old 06-13-2017, 11:43 AM   #3

Trailer: 2017 5.0 TA picked up in July 2017.
On a cold winter night you might not want to open the window while taking a shower. The gap will allow the warmer air in the trailer to come in while the fan is on.
SFDavis50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2017, 05:42 PM   #4

Trailer: 2016 - Escape 19 (2nd Gen), 2021 F150 Powerboost
The air flow works better if you leave the bathroom window closed and and open a window somewhere else in the trailer when you run the bathroom fan. This works better to vent all the ....errr... bad air If you open the bathroom window the air flow is something like 3 ft from window to vent. It misses the bottom air in the bathroom. The window is useful for spying on your neighbours if you forget get to bring a book.
davescape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2017, 06:18 PM   #5

Trailer: 2017 Escape 19 'Irvy'
Thanks for your replies, we are now OK with the gap!!!

Now the big question, gap at top or bottom?? We asked for the gap to be at the bottom so my husband isn't looking at it, does location matter... I don't think we'll be putting a towel holder over the door due to excess weight onto hinges...

Again, THANKS FOR YOUR INPUT�� and so appreciated ��
ISeyes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2017, 06:24 PM   #6

Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
Quote:
Originally Posted by ISeyes View Post
Now the big question, gap at top or bottom?? We asked for the gap to be at the bottom so my husband isn't looking at it, does location matter...
If the gap is at the bottom, air flow into the bathroom under the door and out through the vent or window will go through the bottom of the room, which seems important to me. In dry RV bathrooms (so there is no threshold) a gap is normally left only under the door, which works for this purpose.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2017, 06:50 PM   #7

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0TA / 2016 Ram Eco Diesel 4X4
Quote:
Thanks for your replies, we are now OK with the gap!!!

Now the big question, gap at top or bottom?? We asked for the gap to be at the bottom so my husband isn't looking at it, does location matter... I don't think we'll be putting a towel holder over the door due to excess weight onto hinges...

Again, THANKS FOR YOUR INPUT�� and so appreciated ��
Hi: ISeyes... You could always get one of those London UK. Underground mats that says "Mind the Gap"!!! Alf
escape artist N.S. of Lake Erie
escape artist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2017, 07:18 PM   #8

Trailer: 2017 19'
We were also told our escape 19 will not have the outside door latch (to hold door open), new door will be stiffer so won't be necessary. Our concern was the thermal window, when open, someone can push the door so they connect. Does anyone have this new door without the outside latch??

Yup, new doors (2017) have no latch to hold open the door. There is enough tension to hold it open. only once was the wind howling enough to move it a bit. If your passenger side dinette window is open, the door and window can collide. If the window is closed no problem as the door will hit the belly band. So if it's warm out and you want lots of air flow we use the screen door and leave that window closed so if someone leans on the open door it won't bang against the open window. If you just need a little ventilation easy enough to open the window with no problems as the door will be closed. Works well, and nice to be able to just lean out instead of going out and close the door when it cools off.
TallyHo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2017, 07:31 PM   #9

Trailer: 2018 19'
Have camped in tremendous high winds thru Nevada last few days. Will attest that new door does swing shut. So am proponent of latch.
Mucram is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2017, 07:39 PM   #10

I would let them mount the bath door with gap at both top and bottom, that way you can allow natural convection of air to move, if you block off either top or bottom, it defeats the purpose.
Old 06-13-2017, 07:39 PM   #11

Trailer: 2015 17b "Shelly"
When we ordered our 2015 we ask for a full size door to the bathroom and $75 later we got it. The door doesn't close tight so we feel there is still plenty of air circulation.
Old 06-13-2017, 07:45 PM   #12

Interesting, having seen Escape initially using full doors and us, we customers complaining of mold and moisture and air nor heat not getting inside and Escape then starts to install a window and a power vent and cuts the door down to allow air to enter. Now the customers want the door to seal off the area again? You may end up cutting a vent in the door eventually to allow air circulation, that is what I had to do in my 2012 with the full door. Think twice about that full door.....
Old 06-13-2017, 08:37 PM   #13

Trailer: 2016 19 classic "outta sight", jeep rubicon unlimited
Finally figured out why there was a heart shape opening in the door of the outhouse: airflow
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_0410.JPG  
Old 06-13-2017, 09:44 PM   #14

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE
That calls for another.
Attached Thumbnails
cow outhouse w.jpg  
Old 06-13-2017, 09:48 PM   #15

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE
And another.
Attached Thumbnails
potty - 1.jpg  
Old 06-14-2017, 01:23 AM   #16

Trailer: 2016 19 classic "outta sight", jeep rubicon unlimited
Or this one. The real deal when boon docking!
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_0409.JPG  
Old 06-14-2017, 06:39 AM   #17

Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marry View Post
Finally figured out why there was a heart shape opening in the door of the outhouse: airflow
What works even better is keeping the door open.

I know at our land, it is nice to set and look out at the squirrels and birds playing in the trees.

A buddy in the Shuswap does not even have a door on his outhouse, but side windows that allows folks to see the head of someone in their. He has a fantastic view from a hillside overlooking Shuswap lake. Kinda makes you forget the reason you went there in the first place.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2017, 08:28 AM   #18

Trailer: 2013 19' & 2013 15B
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Bennett View Post
What works even better is keeping the door open. ...
Maybe like this one?

"It is better to remain silent at the risk of being thought a fool, than to talk and remove all doubt of it." - 1907, Maurice Switzer
Dave Walter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2017, 08:40 AM   #19

Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
Quote:
Originally Posted by ice-breaker View Post
Maybe like this one?[/IMG]
Absolutely, what a great view.

I'm sure you must have seen some of the pit toilet seats in use at backcountry campground, where they just face away from camp with a short back and sides.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2017, 10:13 AM   #20

Trailer: 2017 Escape 19' #2
Quote:
Hi Everyone,

We dropped by Escape yesterday to look at all the different models. One thing my husband noticed right away was the gap in the bathroom door, it isn't the full size of the opening. We were told for air circulation but we ordered the window and it has a fan....so why a gap

Thanks☺
We had our bathroom door moved up this time so there is no gap on the top and a larger gap on the bottom. We like the look much better than our previous Escape that had the gap on both top and bottom. Works great/looks great and does not defeat the purpose. In fact having had it both ways I think it works better.
Attached Thumbnails
20170221_181952.jpg   20170221_182013.jpg