battery 2 6v vs 1 12v for new 19' - Page 2 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Me | General Topics > Shopping Escape
Click Here to Login
Register Files FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 09-12-2017, 07:12 PM   #21

Trailer: 2015 19 foot
We have a 19 with solar and love it. During the time that the trailer is parked between trips, the solar keeps the batteries (2 6V) charged and I run the MaxxFan whenever it gets over 78 degrees, which is when there is lots of sun. So it all works fine - except for A/C. We are going on a mission trip soon and the place we are going has one 20A circuit for all 7 RVs so we cannot run the A/C. Forecast is for the upper 80s and some 90s so I just got a Honda 2000i. I will find out how noisy it is for other campers, but I can't hear it in the trailer while the A/C is running.

I listen to the Roadtreking podcast, and he has a Roadtrek CS Adventurous, with a roof full of solar and large lithium batteries, and claims he runs the A/C whenever he wants and has never run out of battery power, so it looks like it can be done. I wonder what that rig costs?
Old 09-12-2017, 08:06 PM   #22

Trailer: 2018 t@b 400
I am also about ready to buy a new 19' and still have my reservations about having ETI install an inverter. Sounds like there is consensus that if one does not run a microwave while off shore power it is not really necessary. I am planning on ordering with solar and dual 6v setup. Being a newbie, I Hope I'm not overlooking something obvious.
David Reeves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2017, 08:12 PM   #23

Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
Quote:
Originally Posted by AKCamper View Post
. My wife really wanted a microwave and all we usually cook in it is cheese and crackers (triscuts and tillimook ).
We eat various cheeses and crackers all the time, but for the life of me can't imagine cooking them in a microwave and making them all yucky.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2017, 08:16 PM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Reeves View Post
I am also about ready to buy a new 19' and still have my reservations about having ETI install an inverter. Sounds like there is consensus that if one does not run a microwave while off shore power it is not really necessary. I am planning on ordering with solar and dual 6v setup. Being a newbie, I Hope I'm not overlooking something obvious.
Exactly what I planned. Then a realization hit me, that I could change my ways. My wife could bring a hair dryer, we can get a two slice toaster, and who knows what else. Maybe a wee rice cooker? Who knows? Thus my reason for now adding one, like I said at near the same cost and a lot more trouble. Am I sure I need it, no I don't, but we just might be able to afford a few luxuries now with all that solar power on board.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Old 09-12-2017, 08:19 PM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by padlin View Post
And yet you'll eat Poutine.
That is a totally different ball game. A great fried potato, with quality cheese curds sprinkled on top, covered with a scrumptions gravy. None of the low quality crap some pass off as poutine. It is nothing at all like cheese and crackers.

I mean seriously, this is the first time I have ever heard of cooking cheese and crackers. Am I that out of the loop?
Old 09-12-2017, 08:21 PM   #26

Trailer: 2013 Escape 21 Classic Number 6, pulled by 2018 Toyota Highlander
Single 12 v

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Bennett View Post
If you are connected to the grid, or able to run a gen set once in a while, one battery will work fine. I don't use a gen set as I don't usually have much need for A/C, and will look for a campsite with power if I do, but I do camp a lot off the grid for many days at a time, often using the furnace a lot which is the biggest battery drain, so I have opted for dual 6V in my past 3 trailers.
We had a single group 27 on the 19 till we put solar on and the same on the 21. If you are a failrly light
Electrical user and have a way to Charge the single 12V you'll probably get by fine. The only negative with us was being without a generator (along) and not having shore power for a couple days. And not towing anywhere. Then my single would get down but. Never below half.
Dave
Iowa Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2017, 08:22 PM   #27
Site Team

Trailer: 2015 19 "Past Tents", 2021 F150 Lariat 2.7L EB
Quote:
I mean seriously, this is the first time I have ever heard of cooking cheese and crackers. Am I that out of the loop?
I've heard of melting cheese on a Triscuit, but it's not my cup of tea.
Old 09-12-2017, 08:32 PM   #28

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE
Just spent three weeks in the Maritimes. Place is flat, windy and infested with lobster. Quite enjoyed a grilled cheese sandwich at the Lobster Shack on PEI.
Old 09-12-2017, 08:36 PM   #29

Trailer: 2010 EggCamper (#083); 2017 Escape 21 (#053); 2016 F-150 5.0L FX4
You'll need a microwave to make puffy s'mores on a rainy shut-in evening?
War Eagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2017, 08:39 PM   #30

Trailer: 2013 Escape 21 Classic Number 6, pulled by 2018 Toyota Highlander
Foodies

At the Iowa state fair a few years ago they introduced the deep fried Twinkie on a stick. And now,
Deep fried stick of butter? Mom always called it hardening of the arteries and said that's why old people "got funny"' new generation coming up.
Dave
Iowa Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2017, 09:59 PM   #31

Trailer: 2018 t@b 400
How about nacho's? Is a hot plate of nacho worth the price of an inverter? I think maybe so
David Reeves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2017, 10:29 PM   #32

Trailer: 2016 Escape 19
Quote:
That is a totally different ball game. A great fried potato, with quality cheese curds sprinkled on top, covered with a scrumptions gravy. None of the low quality crap some pass off as poutine. It is nothing at all like cheese and crackers.

Jim,
Well you'll never know unless you try. May I suggest Roasted Garlic Triscuts with Tillamook Medium Cheddar. Just nuke them untill the cheeze just starts to melt 15-20 seconds. Don't get chinsey on the cheeze either. Yumm.
AKCamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2017, 10:31 PM   #33

Trailer: 2016 Escape 19
Quote:
How about nacho's? Is a hot plate of nacho worth the price of an inverter? I think maybe so
Hey, great Idea. Dosen't everyone make nachos in a microwave?? Next trip it's nachos.
AKCamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2017, 11:02 PM   #34

Trailer: 2012 escape 19
Greetings from a fellow Santa Rosa 19' owner.
Ericadmaier@gmail.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2017, 01:05 AM   #35

Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
For those with the (optional) propane oven, and wanting to melt cheese onto stuff (crackers, tortilla chips, etc), I'll note that the bottom section is a broiler.

Grilled cheese sandwiches should, of course, be grilled (I use a cast-iron frying pan, which works on the propane stove).
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2017, 01:36 AM   #36

Trailer: 2015 17A - Ready for more Maiden Voyages ....
Quote:
I duno David ... I thought that is why every one brings along a weed burner with a quick connect fitting .... almost instant nachos!

Tom
Old 09-13-2017, 12:30 PM   #37

Trailer: 2015 Escape 5.0TA
Solar? Inverter? Dual batteries, 6 or 12 volt

I have had trailers for many years. I personally prefer solar because the batteries are usually charged all the time (note that running the batteries way down shortens their lives)... I also like having plenty of power so I prefer the double 6 volt batteries (we need to run a CPAP machine at night). I have used two 12 volt batteries in the past with mixed results (not enough power for simple things). The inverter is a luxury just like a microwave or hair drier or toaster or blender but heck I enjoy my luxury items. That all being said I have 160 watt ETI solar panel, a 1500 watt inverter, two 6 volt golf cart type batteries ... So if you desire the luxuries get the inverter if not skip it but get solar and maybe double 6 volts. Bill
CoolCampingKid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2017, 12:39 PM   #38

Trailer: 2015 Escape 5.0TA
Quote:
Hey, great Idea. Dosen't everyone make nachos in a microwave?? Next trip it's nachos.

Yup the microwave works great for the old spur of the moment nacho cravings [emoji6].

Cheers
Doug
Old 09-13-2017, 01:00 PM   #39

Quote:
How do you brown the cheese on top, and roast the chips? I used to do them in the BBQ, but now that we have a real oven will use that.

Always many ways to skin that same cat, eh?
Old 09-13-2017, 01:02 PM   #40

And don't even get me going on that crap passed off as popcorn made in a microwave. It just does not compare in the least to fresh popped in a pot/skillet/pan, with some freshly melted REAL butter and a sprinkle of salt on it.

And yes, you can melt butter in a pan on the stove for those that never realized this.