battery 2 6v vs 1 12v for new 19' - Page 3 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Me | General Topics > Shopping Escape
Click Here to Login

Old 09-13-2017, 07:14 PM   #41

Trailer: 2018 t@b 400
all these deep fried insights are making me hungry.. Whether or not to install an inverter reminds me of something another intrepid traveler told me about having an AC: "I don't use it but I'm glad I have it".
David Reeves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2017, 07:04 PM   #42

Trailer: 2021 Escape 19, 2010 Palomino Y series prior
We too are wondering about an inverter, or the dual 6v batteries for that matter.
We come from a pop up camper. Normally we have an electrical site when in ontario or manitoba, and when we don't its only a long weekend stay. But in 2016 we did BC and a 6 night stay near Kelowna with no power. I find the propane detector is the highest draw.
Granted we used lights sparingly (all LED) and charged the phones in the truck, and didn't need the fan much as you get an easy breeze through the trailer with all the windows open as its a tent essentially. Ran fridge on propane.
We have a 160w portable solar panel now with a small inverter I've yet to use, I got it with keeping the battery charged up in mind, as when you aren't towing every couple days you can run the battery down.
The escapes are a bit out of our price range, and once you start tacking on options it gets worse.
Outside of the exhaust fans, is the water pump a big draw? Do you guys think maybe just the larger 12v battery would be enough?
Looking at 17a, 17b, and 19 trailers, but wife is only semi interested in the 19
Old 09-14-2017, 08:09 PM   #43

Trailer: None, sold my 2014 5.0TA
How much is the larger 12ver? I don't see it in the options list.

Unless it's enough of a difference where you'd pass on an Escape I'd go with the twin 6's. Between them and your portable panel, you should be able to manage extended stays in most circumstances.

You can easily live without the inverter.
Old 09-14-2017, 08:30 PM   #44

Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wunfiddy View Post
Outside of the exhaust fans, is the water pump a big draw? Do you guys think maybe just the larger 12v battery would be enough?
We have found that by far the biggest draw is the furnace fan, but we deal with a lot of camping with overnight lows near freezing.

If you can keep the single 12V charged, you will have no problem. Heck, we camped in our 19 for 3 nights with furnace use in cold temps and it did okay. We did use all things 12V sparingly, and kept the furnace at 9°, a temp that was minimal to keep condensation under control.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2017, 08:38 PM   #45

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21 "Lightning"
Wunfiddy, as an 3 year owner of a lightly optioned 21, I would have no problem saying that one can be very comfortable in a base Escape. Outside of a medical condition requiring "x" option all are nice-to-haves, not gotta-haves. Even my personal faves of thermal windows and insulation can be foregone.
BCnomad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2017, 09:04 PM   #46

Jim and BC (i havent figured out how to multiquote, despite being a button that says multiquote)
Thanks for replies.
Some of the options I feel are must haves if spending the kind of money Escape asks for a trailer. Mostly extra insulation and thermal windows, as well as spray foam under trailer. There is $2300. Add another $350 for surge protection.
I can assure you that even though its cold and rainy every time we camp July and Sept long weekends, if I skip AC when building a new trailer, every weekend will be abnormally warm and sunny for the rest of my life.
When we plan cold weather camping, my wife plans on electrical sites, as we can either use a 120v heater or run the furnace, so skipping that giant load, I am glad to hear one battery will probably do.

I too feel that the base options are pretty good. My wife often has a different idea than me, and i was met with hostility when suggesting the 17a, and b,
Ticking options gets out of control fast lol, especially on the 19.
Old 09-14-2017, 09:16 PM   #47

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21 "Lightning"
Sounds like you have it well in hand.

Ain't build sheets fun?!
BCnomad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2017, 09:59 PM   #48

Trailer: 2016 19 classic "outta sight", jeep rubicon unlimited
Quote:
Jim and BC (i havent figured out how to multiquote, despite being a button that says multiquote)

I can assure you that even though its cold and rainy every time we camp July and Sept long weekends, if I skip AC when building a new trailer, every weekend will be abnormally warm and sunny for the rest of my life.

I too feel that the base options are pretty good. My wife often has a different idea than me, and i was met with hostility when suggesting the 17a, and b,
Ticking options gets out of control fast lol, especially on the 19.
Nights do cool off on the prairies. We went without AC, camped with 30+C, and never missed it.
One of the advantages of fibreglass is that the trailer stays way cooler in daytime then other trailers. At night open up a few windows, and you will be happy with the result.
(One of the advantages of living where we do)
Once you decide going more south and humid, you can still add the AC if so desired.
Old 09-14-2017, 10:18 PM   #49

Trailer: 2010 Escape 19
Quote:
Click on "multiquote" on the posts you want to quote and then hit "quote" on the last post in which you selected multiquote. This should take you to the reply screen with the multiple posts displayed and can be edited accordingly.
rubicon327 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2017, 11:00 PM   #50

Trailer: 2014 Escape 19, sold; 2019 Escape 21, Sept. 2019
Quote:
as well as spray foam under trailer. There is $2300. Add another $350 for surge protection.
I can assure you that even though its cold and rainy every time we camp July and Sept long weekends, if I skip AC when building a new trailer, .
Spray foam can be added later if you decide you really need it. I added slab foam insulation. Cost very little and makes for a warmer floor.

The trailer is a/c ready. At any time you can stop by Camping World etc. , get one, and put it on the roof. Not a really difficult installation.

Ron
Ron in BC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2017, 11:22 PM   #51

Quote:
Originally Posted by rubicon327 View Post
Click on "multiquote" on the posts you want to quote and then hit "quote" on the last post in which you selected multiquote. This should take you to the reply screen with the multiple posts displayed and can be edited accordingly.
Hot dang, thanks. I guess my monitor or my eyes need replacing, because no visual que from me clicking on multiquote button is visible to having an effect. Thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marry View Post
Nights do cool off on the prairies. We went without AC, camped with 30+C, and never missed it.
One of the advantages of fibreglass is that the trailer stays way cooler in daytime then other trailers. At night open up a few windows, and you will be happy with the result.
(One of the advantages of living where we do)
Once you decide going more south and humid, you can still add the AC if so desired.
We usually camp in Rushing River PP 2 to 4 times a year, plus a week to 2 weeks elsewhere in Canada. And another random 2 or 3 day weekend somewhere in Manitoba. Maybe one day in the USA when our dollar is better and we run out of places to see in Canada. We found the Valley in BC quite warm, but in a pop up it was fine. Banff was cold at night, but #blankets
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron in BC View Post
Spray foam can be added later if you decide you really need it. I added slab foam insulation. Cost very little and makes for a warmer floor.

The trailer is a/c ready. At any time you can stop by Camping World etc. , get one, and put it on the roof. Not a really difficult installation.

Ron
Ah good. I feel like somebody here told me this once, but it is good to know the roof is framed and ready for it. Its $1100 and if we can do without it thats a good step towards actually affording an Escape.
My truck was $31988 new plus taxes, so spending mid 30s on a trailer that gets used far less is tought to sell to the Mrs and also not in the budget. Every little bit helps
Old 09-15-2017, 02:03 AM   #52

Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
Quote:
... is the water pump a big draw?
It would be hard for the pump consumption to add up to much, because it runs so little of the time... the opposite of ventilation fans and lights.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2017, 02:04 AM   #53

Quote:
Originally Posted by padlin View Post
How much is the larger 12ver? I don't see it in the options list.
The standard battery is a single 12-volt Interstate Group 27 sized RV model (SRM-27; 67 amp-hours at 25 amps or 2.7 hour rate, 53 lbs or 24 kg), and the other single 12-volt option was an Interstate Group 29 sized RV model (SRM-29; 88 amp-hours at 25 amps or 3.5 hour rate, 60 lbs or 27 kg). Interstate does not publish capacities for these batteries at the standard 20-hour rate.

I don't see the larger single 12V battery in the options list any more, either.
Old 09-15-2017, 05:19 AM   #54

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian B-P View Post
The standard battery is a single 12-volt Interstate Group 27 sized RV model (SRM-27; 67 amp-hours at 25 amps or 2.7 hour rate, 53 lbs or 24 kg), and the other single 12-volt option was an Interstate Group 29 sized RV model (SRM-29; 88 amp-hours at 25 amps or 3.5 hour rate, 60 lbs or 27 kg). Interstate does not publish capacities for these batteries at the standard 20-hour rate.

I don't see the larger single 12V battery in the options list any more, either.
Hi Brian, actually I was asking for the price difference as Wunfiddy is looking to limit $ outlay.
Old 09-15-2017, 03:10 PM   #55

Quote:
Hi Brian, actually I was asking for the price difference as Wunfiddy is looking to limit $ outlay.
I don't know when it disappeared, and which models had the Group 29 battery option when it was listed, but I did find a listing from 2014 for the 21':
Quote:
12V Battery (Group 29 126 amp hrs) $75.00
I would only be concerned about the size of the battery mounting area; as long as there is enough space for the larger battery, it wouldn't save much to get it as an option, rather than just buying a big battery later.
Old 09-15-2017, 03:28 PM   #56

Trailer: 2010 EggCamper (#083); 2017 Escape 21 (#053); 2016 F-150 5.0L FX4
FWIW, our original build sheet from ETI is dated May 30, 2016, and it includes the following as options:
Dual 6V Batteries (232 amp hrs) $275
Group 29 12V Battery (126 amp hrs) $75
War Eagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2017, 06:20 PM   #57

The SRM-29 is estimated to hold 126 Ah compared to 210 for the 2 6 volt.

The way we use power, 15 amps a day without the furnace, the 29 would be good for about 4 days, the 6 volt is 7 days, without any type of recharging.

Only you can tell if the upgrade is worth the money to you.
Old 10-06-2017, 12:04 AM   #58

Quote:
The SRM-29 is estimated to hold 126 Ah compared to 210 for the 2 6 volt.

The way we use power, 15 amps a day without the furnace, the 29 would be good for about 4 days, the 6 volt is 7 days, without any type of recharging.

Only you can tell if the upgrade is worth the money to you.
Well... coming from a pop up, where there is not a lot of need for power, it seems like over kill. Especially to add more weight to an already heavy tongue. (both my work trailer and pop up end up front heavy on the regular) But the starting at price of the 19 is high enough I don't want to skip out on things that are easiest installed at the factory.
Old 10-06-2017, 04:53 AM   #59

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
I started my Escape ownership with a group#29 battery back in 2012 and continue with it in 2014 with my 21 Escape. Both had solar panels and the battery was sufficient with the 95 watt solar. That said I removed the #29 and installed 2x6 volts in my 21 and continued with them in my 19 on the tongue in my front box when Escape went with the 155 watt solar. But I always keep my gas more than 1/2 full, others let their fuel below that. You can always add more later so the #29 should be fine.
Old 10-06-2017, 04:58 AM   #60

Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
Quote:
Well... coming from a pop up, where there is not a lot of need for power, it seems like over kill. Especially to add more weight to an already heavy tongue. (both my work trailer and pop up end up front heavy on the regular) But the starting at price of the 19 is high enough I don't want to skip out on things that are easiest installed at the factory.
The tongue weight dry on a 19 is not very high, one of the things that prompted Reace to move the batteries forward. Of course, if you get a storage box, you could load that with heavy stuff too.

Like you and many others here, I too had a tent trailer for many years as my first trailer. For us it was basically a good quality tent on wheel, something that gave us a few conveniences and lots of bed space. We boondock a lot, and suffered terribly from one battery quite often, especially if it was real cold and we wanted a bit of heat.

If you don't plan to boondock that much then a single battery will do. The thing to remember is, again as many here have discovered, your camping style evolves over the years, and if you plan to use your trailer a lot, most tend to move towards a few more niceties, often involving electricity. For example, my wife has a heavy head of hair, and once she realized she could use a hair dryer a bit on batteries recharged with solar, an inverter was desired. And on, and on......

Adding a second battery would not be a terribly tough mod to do later either.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote