battery 2 6v vs 1 12v for new 19' - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Me | General Topics > Shopping Escape
Click Here to Login

Old 09-12-2017, 11:34 AM   #1

Trailer: 2018 Escape 21
battery 2 6v vs 1 12v for new 19'

I live in hot climate, use a/c often, so I have generator for that purpose.

My current trailer has 1 12v battery and seems to work well for me. When I'm off shore power, I run the gen an 1 hour or so, maybe 1 day out of 3 or 4. That keeps battery charged for what I'm doing: kitchen vent fan, magic fan, bathroom fan, lights, water pump, etc. Of course if I need a/c, I run the gen.

I'm thinking I don't need 2 6v batteries or 1500w inverter for that matter. Best I can tell, 2 6v batteries and 1500w inverter are for trailers using solar power? Since I need and have gen, I don't plan to order solar panel for new 19'.

I'm pretty light on anything electrical, so looking for more information, want to make sure I understand the trade offs. Any comments welcomed, thanks.
CharlesPou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2017, 11:41 AM   #2

Trailer: 2008 Escape 17b
Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlesPou View Post
I live in hot climate, use a/c often, so I have generator for that purpose.

My current trailer has 1 12v battery and seems to work well for me. When I'm off shore power, I run the gen an 1 hour or so, maybe 1 day out of 3 or 4. That keeps battery charged for what I'm doing: kitchen vent fan, magic fan, bathroom fan, lights, water pump, etc. Of course if I need a/c, I run the gen.

I'm thinking I don't need 2 6v batteries or 1500w inverter for that matter. Best I can tell, 2 6v batteries and 1500w inverter are for trailers using solar power? Since I need and have gen, I don't plan to order solar panel for new 19'.

I'm pretty light on anything electrical, so looking for more information, want to make sure I understand the trade offs. Any comments welcomed, thanks.
If you don't seem to run out of battery power then keep things the way they are. I like to only spend on the necessities, (that said) a lot of Escape Forum members are likely to disagree with my/this advice.
J Mac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2017, 11:51 AM   #3

Trailer: 2017 21 "Blue II" & 2017 Highlander XLE (previously 2010 17B "Blue" & 2008 Tacoma)
As long as you are fine with running your generator then I would think the single 12v would serve your needs. I have one, but don't like using it in campgrounds, so we went with dual 6's and solar. As Donna says. YMMV.

"Beware of false knowledge; it is more dangerous than ignorance." George Bernard Shaw
thoer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2017, 12:03 PM   #4

Trailer: 2017 19'
we got the 2x6V for the amp hours and solar.. if you dont plan on getting solar the single 12V should be sufficient... aside from AC (and unless you run the fridge in DC) nothing in the trailer really eats up much power...
caddoster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2017, 12:18 PM   #5

Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
If you are connected to the grid, or able to run a gen set once in a while, one battery will work fine. I don't use a gen set as I don't usually have much need for A/C, and will look for a campsite with power if I do, but I do camp a lot off the grid for many days at a time, often using the furnace a lot which is the biggest battery drain, so I have opted for dual 6V in my past 3 trailers.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2017, 12:29 PM   #6

So Jim, with 2 6v batteries do you have the 1500w inverter? Thanks
Old 09-12-2017, 12:50 PM   #7

Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
Quote:
So Jim, with 2 6v batteries do you have the 1500w inverter? Thanks
I have one, I just have to get it installed. If you are considering one, definitely get Escape to install it. I wavered and never got it as an option, then we decided to install one, and it cost me near as much for materials only.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2017, 01:10 PM   #8

Trailer: 2016 19 classic "outta sight", jeep rubicon unlimited
Quote:
Originally Posted by J Mac View Post
I like to only spend on the necessities, (that said) a lot of Escape Forum members are likely to disagree with my/this advice.
I agree!

Isn't it time for the invention of ac running on solar by now? Wouldn't that be nice?!?!
Old 09-12-2017, 01:25 PM   #9

Trailer: None, sold my 2014 5.0TA
You only need the inverter if you want to run something that's 120vac when the generator isn't running and you are not hooked up to city power.

You need the 2 batteries if you have the inverter, or you want to be able to go longer without hooking to city power, or run the inverter as often.

Solar allows you to go longer without city power or the generator but will not run your A/C.

If you need to run your A/C without city power, then you have to carry the generator. If you don't mind carrying and running the generator when needed, then there is no need for more battery storage or an inverter.

I have a Honda 2k, used it for our last trailer. Hated the noise of this quiet generator. I found the few times I needed it it took more like 4-6 hours to get the battery close to full from 50%ish. But then we don't live in the south where A/C is mandatory.
Old 09-12-2017, 01:45 PM   #10

Trailer: 2015 17A - Ready for more Maiden Voyages ....
CharlesPou,
Since you already have a 12v battery and if you decide you want more battery power, add another 12v battery. Living in 'Sun' country, I'd definitely add solar and cut down on running the gen. The decision to add an inverter is a whole new question unrelated to adding solar.

I really doubt that running your generator for an hour ... maybe one day out of 3 or 4 days would be enough to pump up your batteries to "full". Might be enough to bring them up to 80% but generally getting them from 80% to "full" will take longer.

Tom
Old 09-12-2017, 01:45 PM   #11

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
Judicious planning and use of 12v items can mean your entire trailer can operate off 12v and propane, except for air conditioning. The lights, heater, refrigerator, water heater, pump, stove, sink, bathroom, even television all can operate off 12v or propane. With most charging devices utilizing usb you can charge your computer and phone. No inverter needed, just solar and dual batteries, you will have unlimited power and probably need water before plugging in.
Old 09-12-2017, 01:55 PM   #12

Trailer: 2014 Escape 19, sold; 2019 Escape 21, Sept. 2019
Quote:
Originally Posted by StarvingHyena View Post
CharlesPou,
Since you already have a 12v battery and if you decide you want more battery power, add another 12v battery. Living in 'Sun' country, I'd definitely add solar and cut down on running the gen. The decision to add an inverter is a whole new question unrelated to adding solar.

Tom
Couldn't agree more. I like my dual 12's. I use them one at a time except for the inverter. I like having "one in reserve". Solar panels are so inexpensive now it's a shame to not have at least one. They just sit there and quietly keep putting in amps.

Ron
Attached Thumbnails
18-01-2015 8-26-21 PM12_resize.JPG  
Ron in BC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2017, 03:10 PM   #13

Trailer: 2010 Escape 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marry View Post
Isn't it time for the invention of ac running on solar by now? Wouldn't that be nice?!?!
Getting closer, just limitations due to lithium battery cost and panel efficiency which requires some serious rooftop real estate for solar. Kimberley caravans (Australia) are powering a 7500 BTU A/C via a 2500W inverter fed from a 480 amp-hour lithium battery bank with 720W of rooftop solar. Pretty cool.

www.escapeforum.org/forums/f8/custom-air-conditioning-retrofit-8249-19.html#post158873
rubicon327 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2017, 03:41 PM   #14

Thanks for all the helpful posts. I did some reading about inverters, still don't fully understand it, but like previous post, I think it just converts 12v to 120v. So, if you have lots of battery power, you need a higher capacity inverter to be able to use the battery power.

I've had my trailer > 10 years and just recently figured out how to charge my cell phone from the one 12v cigarette lighter plug-in in the back corner of the trailer. I use a small inverter I carry in my truck to keep my cell phone charged while driving. Recently figured out it works in the trailer too, way cool!

OK, imagine it's 113f outside, your trailer is 120f inside, you are hot and need to cool down. Simple, fire up the gen, in 5 minutes you're getting cool air. When it's that hot, a/c will never get trailer much under 80f, but feels pretty cool anyway. Plus, I often run a/c all night, have extended run tank will run wide open 14 hours. By the way, I'm not running gen around others, I'm on some land I own, not bothering anyone. Cheers
Old 09-12-2017, 04:01 PM   #15

Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
The battery exists to store energy from when you can get it - while plugged in to shore power or a generator, while the sun is shining on solar panels, while the trailer is plugged into a running tow vehicle - until when you use it. More battery capacity lets you go longer until you need more energy; in the current generator-based system, twice as much battery capacity would mean that you could run the generator just once a week instead of twice... but for twice as long each time. Or you could handle a stay longer than 3 or 4 days without having to run the generator at all. Whether or not that is valuable is a individual decision.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2017, 05:01 PM   #16

Trailer: 2008 Escape 17b
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpaharley2008 View Post
Judicious planning and use of 12v items can mean your entire trailer can operate off 12v and propane, except for air conditioning. The lights, heater, refrigerator, water heater, pump, stove, sink, bathroom, even television all can operate off 12v or propane. With most charging devices utilizing usb you can charge your computer and phone. No inverter needed, just solar and dual batteries, you will have unlimited power and probably need water before plugging in.
With judicious planning, you don't need dual batteries!
J Mac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2017, 05:30 PM   #17

Trailer: 2014 Escape 19, sold; 2019 Escape 21, Sept. 2019
Quote:
So, if you have lots of battery power, you need a higher capacity inverter to be able to use the battery power.
Well, sort of. But sort of backwards. With lots of battery power you can run a small inverter and small devices for a much longer time. Just because you have lots of battery power doesn't require that you have a large inverter.

On the other hand, if you have a microwave you do need a larger inverter and more battery capacity. OK, I admit that the 3000 watt inverter in my Scamp 13 was probably overkill. Now, with two 12's and a microwave I make do with a 1500 watt inverter.

Ron
Ron in BC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2017, 06:41 PM   #18

Trailer: 2016 Escape 19
We have the microwave with two 6 volt batteries. My wife really wanted a microwave and all we usually cook in it is cheese and crackers (triscuts and tillimook ). If my calculations are correct if we use it for one minute it uses about 2.3 amp hours of power 138/60. Which I think it would be the equivalent of charging our system back up with a 100 watt solar panel for 1/2 hour at 5 amps. Anybody know if my calculations are correct? I guess the point is if you don't need a microwave off grid you can do without the two six volt batteries, but as Brian said it is nice to have the extra power whether you bring it with you from the last campground you were in or from solar or you alternator of your car.
AKCamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2017, 06:45 PM   #19

Trailer: 2017 19'
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marry View Post
I agree!

well there are a number of DC air conditioner(AC) that are solar compatible.. but the problem is with the amount of power needed to run AC you'd either need a giant solar array (and only gets AC when the sun is out!) or have a (somewhat) large battery capacity to store the solar power...
caddoster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2017, 06:46 PM   #20

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
or you run out of propane and need to use 12v for your refrigerator, that will go through a single 12v really quick. The other nice things about the 6 volts are that they are golf cart batteries with thicker lead plates. These tend to last longer than the 12v model in that they can be recharged many more times.