Benefits of upgrading from 19' to 21' - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Me | General Topics > Shopping Escape
Click Here to Login
Register Files FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 12-08-2017, 12:09 PM   #1

Trailer: 21’ 2020
Benefits of upgrading from 19' to 21'

Hello fellow Escapees,
This is a question for those of you who owned a 19' and then moved up to a 21'. What were the benefits to you, as well as any drawbacks? For instance, and personally speaking, the bed height and slightly larger bathroom would be of benefit to me. What did you find or experience?
Are there drawbacks to maneuvering the 21? Less larger camping spaces available for this size? Difficulties in towing it with a V6 crossover?

Did your build sheet essentially stay the same? Or did you find changes necessary? Speaking of both additions or deletions from your 19 to the 21?

Thank you! I apologize in advance if this already has been addressed. If so, please direct me to the proper thread discussion.
Artlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2017, 01:00 PM   #2

Trailer: 2018 Escape 19
The bed in a 21 is smaller at only 54 inches wide...the 19 is 60 inches wide. Was real easy for us to make up our mind based on this alone. Also the reason we never considered a Big Foot...all of their beds are narrow.
Eggscape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2017, 05:19 PM   #3

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
When I went from a 19 to a 21 there were several changes. First off the price remained the same for the first 10 customers, so $$$$ was not an issue. I got an oven and 4 extra 12v locations plus 2 tv locations plus the new antenna set up. I also opted for the "u" dinette, otherwise the same options I had on the 19. I changed the trim from white to brown, made a world of difference.
After 2 years, we decided these upgrades were not needed plus the frameless windows and new awnings were being installed, so we decided to go back to the 19, we no longer needed mirror extensions and got our queen rear bed back. the "U" dinette was too small we went with the standard front larger table, skipped the oven, never used, and antenna, never did use ota tv but mainly cable. I installed the identical electric heater in all 3 Escapes. We went with the black trim.
If I had to do it again I'd get that optional wood grain floor...
Old 12-08-2017, 05:39 PM   #4

The main reason we're getting the 21 ( from a 17' Casita ) is the north/south orientation of the bed. If you have a spouse that needs to get up in the middle of the night, crawling over each other isn't the most pleasant thing to do. The bed in the 21 should allow me to enjoy my slumber while the wife does her thing. Eventually, I will join her in her midnight excursions...I suppose.
thiggins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2017, 07:16 PM   #5

Hi CPA- interesting comments and great insight. You've had many experiences with the different trailers, so I really value your opinion. We debated about the oven. Never really needed it or wanted to cook inside. Besides, it would prompt DH to grill more outside and let me rest and put my feet up!

Thiggins, that's exactly what's going to make this 21 footer more accessible for me. The bed is more open, with no more crawling over each other at tonight. But also, it's slightly lower in height. For a tiny person like me, this makes it easier to sit upon as well. I don't think the width being slightly smaller is going to bother us too much.

The slightly larger bathroom is a plus for me as well. I think these things counter some of the negatives, like the 21 being slightly larger for certain camping spaces or using the mirrors. I use the mirrors anyway with the 19

So there's not much difference then other than what was mentioned above I just wanted to make sure. Thanks so much everyone! You guys are great and helpful as usual.
Old 12-08-2017, 07:30 PM   #6

Trailer: 2017 Escape 21C, 2018 Ford F150
Quote:
Originally Posted by Artlady View Post
Hi CPA- interesting comments and great insight. You've had many experiences with the different trailers, so I really value your opinion. We debated about the oven. Never really needed it or wanted to cook inside. Besides, it would prompt DH to grill more outside and let me rest and put my feet up!

Thiggins, that's exactly what's going to make this 21 footer more accessible for me. The bed is more open, with no more crawling over each other at tonight. But also, it's slightly lower in height. For a tiny person like me, this makes it easier to sit upon as well. I don't think the width being slightly smaller is going to bother us too much.

The slightly larger bathroom is a plus for me as well. I think these things counter some of the negatives, like the 21 being slightly larger for certain camping spaces or using the mirrors. I use the mirrors anyway with the 19

So there's not much difference then other than what was mentioned above I just wanted to make sure. Thanks so much everyone! You guys are great and helpful as usual.
My original plan was for a reversed 19 (48" bed in front) since I travel single. The problem is I wanted an oven (I bake) I wanted a built in microwave for quick meals (with the 17 I stored it under the bed and it was a pain to get out every time I wanted to use it) and I wanted both a bed & 4 person dinette always available, and the large refrigerator. When I looked at the end result, there were not enough drawers or storage or counter space with the 19, so I went with a 21.

So far, so good, although I still wish I had the old manual (with arms) awning, and i may be looking at a tow vehicle with a bit more oomph than the Toyota Tacoma.
Old 12-08-2017, 10:56 PM   #7

Trailer: 2016/ 5TA Spirit Bear
Like the ushaped dinette. Is this a available on a 19?
Mark James is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2017, 11:09 PM   #8

That would be YES. Here is one in a custom colour...thanks to a photo supplied by another forum member.
Attached Thumbnails
AAB804AD-931A-48B0-B351-2DE04A5319AF.jpg  
Old 12-08-2017, 11:10 PM   #9
Site Team

Trailer: 2015 19 "Past Tents", 2021 F150 Lariat 2.7L EB
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark James View Post
Like the ushaped dinette. Is this a available on a 19?
Yes it is. The U-shaped dinette is available on all models as far as I know. Here's mine in the 19. To be honest, I'm not sure about it's usefulness in the 19, because it lacks the depth. Much more practical in a 21 or a 5.0TA.
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_0631.jpg  
Old 12-08-2017, 11:29 PM   #10

I don’t know how practical it is but I sure like the look of it rather than the blank white wall. I know my wife will like leaning against the front wall with her legs up on the bench. I will be making my own cushion along the front wall with some factory cloth and a removable cushion between the benches to sit on. This way we can remove the cushion...get more leg room and seat 4 comfortably.
Old 12-08-2017, 11:36 PM   #11

Trailer: 2016/ 5TA Spirit Bear
Thanks for the info. Find it very practical in our 5 TA
Mark James is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2017, 09:07 AM   #12

Trailer: 2015 21'; 2011 19' sold; 4Runner; ph ninezero3 327-27ninefour
The U is useful for putting things on and having the bench space, not only sitting. Our back bench is full of electrical, converter, EMS, batteries. So we have a big empty side bench area. Which we filled.
float5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2017, 09:17 AM   #13

Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
I don't consider a 21 to be an upgrade to the 19 at all. An upgrade infers improved quality and performance. It does not do this. However it does offer a few different features, that may or may not be of importance to each individual buyer.

As I have pointed out my preference, and reasons for, many a time before, I will leave this to other members who can cover it well.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2017, 09:55 AM   #14
Commercial Member

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21 - "Felicity"
After a Casita 17 footer, the 19 was nicer - but what sold us on the 21 was the wider aisle. Can pass each other without stepping on our dogs.

Need custom storage to your design? Don't drill holes!
www.RVWidgetWorks.com
tractors1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2017, 10:15 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by tractors1 View Post
After a Casita 17 footer, the 19 was nicer - but what sold us on the 21 was the wider aisle. Can pass each other without stepping on our dogs.
Hi tractors,
Yes, the wider aisle is something my husband pointed out that would be of great benefit to us. The extra width doesn't seem like much, but for us it would make a big difference.

Regardless of the features it has that would make it slightly more accessible for me, the fact remains that I still most likely can't operate/set it up by myself. And DH is still occupied with work too much.
So, I dunno...

The Escape 19 was a joy to have however. For anybody considering a fiberglass travel trailer, or any travel trailer for that matter, Escape is the way to go!!!
Old 12-09-2017, 10:19 AM   #16

Trailer: April 2016 21' "Ramble On"
We looked at the only 19' in Nebraska but then bought a 21' sight unseen. I actually like the overall layout of the 19' better, if only I could have the bed up front and the dinette in the rear. We went with the 21' mainly because of the rear dinette, bigger counter and a little more room since we travel with 2 dachshunds. As Donna says: "YMMV" (Your Mileage May Vary) .

Merry Christmas and safe travels to all.
Old 12-09-2017, 10:24 AM   #17

Hi Husker,
Thanks for your input. I agree with your reasoning as well. Those little doggies need the extra space!
Old 12-09-2017, 12:40 PM   #18

Trailer: 2014 Escape 19, sold; 2019 Escape 21, Sept. 2019
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Bennett View Post
I don't consider a 21 to be an upgrade to the 19 at all. An upgrade infers improved quality and performance. It does not do this. However it does offer a few different features, that may or may not be of importance to each individual buyer.

As I have pointed out my preference, and reasons for, many a time before, I will leave this to other members who can cover it well.
Thanks Jim, for saving me from having to say the same thing.

I let out a little sigh every time that I see this topic. As I've said before, if the 21 came with a 19 floorplan I'd have one. I really believe that the largest determinant is the layout and there's obviously a major difference of opinion there.

Ron
Ron in BC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2017, 12:49 PM   #19
Site Team

Trailer: 2015 19 "Past Tents", 2021 F150 Lariat 2.7L EB
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Bennett View Post
I don't consider a 21 to be an upgrade to the 19 at all. An upgrade infers improved quality and performance. It does not do this.
Completely agree.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron in BC View Post
As I've said before, if the 21 came with a 19 floorplan I'd have one.
Or a 23 (dreaming), for that matter. I'm not susceptible to 'two-foot-itis', but 'four-foot-itis' might be another matter.
Old 12-09-2017, 12:55 PM   #20

Hi guys,
That's an interesting concept... The 19' layout in a 21' . But then, there still exists the difficulty for some people to crawl over each other in order to get out of the bed.

Perhaps "upgrade" was an unfortunate choice of words. I should have relegated it to just "changing" from a 19 to a 21. My apologies!

My interest was mainly in the functional differences in comparing the 2 spaces, and what advantages or disadvantages they offered.

Of course, there are trade-offs that exist in most everything. For me, the bed accessibility and height is a huge deal.

What I would ideally prefer, would be if ETI could make the bed into a Murphy type or folding- type bed, thus rendering even more floor space. But that would be a difficult change to install.
Again, I appreciate everyone's input and opinions. Thanks!