Build list for 21' Escape - Page 2 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Me | General Topics > Shopping Escape
Click Here to Login

Old 03-05-2016, 01:46 AM   #21

Trailer: 2017-21' Escape (sold) Casita 17' (sold)
On the list I see

5. A/C with digital thermostat

On our 2017 21' we will get the AC

do we need to specify digital thermostat?

Thanks.

:-)
Losangeles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2016, 05:32 AM   #22

Trailer: Escape 21 November 2014; 2022 GMC 1500 3.0L
Others have posted that the digital thermostat comes standard now. Best to specify it, in case that's not correct.
Bill
Bill and Earline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2016, 06:26 AM   #23
Site Team

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0 TA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill and Earline View Post
Others have posted that the digital thermostat comes standard now. Best to specify it, in case that's not correct.
Bill
I'm with Bill! Double check, it's easy enough to do. I have one of those funky standard thermostats. Ya know the kind that nearly breaks your thumb turning it off? I'll be changing it to a digital this spring and I don't even have A/C.
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2016, 08:27 AM   #24

Trailer: 2016 21. '15 Ford Explorer V-6
Losangeles, Yes, the digital thermostat is 'standard' with the 11,000 btu AC option. Don't hesitate to call and discuss your questions with the ETI office. They are very helpful. As we were going through our decisions, I kept a list of all my questions, and had 2-3 phone conversations during our final days. Until your final date, they simply update your build sheet and e-mail you the new build sheet version. As your final date arrives, you can sign and fax, mail, or echo-sign the final version.

“Get out the map and lay your finger anywhere down” -Indigo Girls
Steve Clark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2016, 10:03 AM   #25
Commercial Member

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21 - "Felicity"
Quote:
Originally Posted by Losangeles View Post
On the list I see

5. A/C with digital thermostat

On our 2017 21' we will get the AC

do we need to specify digital thermostat?

Thanks.

:-)
If you don't confirm it with ETI and they don't install it, the fan won't shut down when the temp reaches the set point and will merrily continue to roar..................

Need custom storage to your design? Don't drill holes!
www.RVWidgetWorks.com
tractors1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2016, 10:23 AM   #26

Trailer: 2015 Escape 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by Donna D. View Post
I'm with Bill! Double check, it's easy enough to do. I have one of those funky standard thermostats. Ya know the kind that nearly breaks your thumb turning it off? I'll be changing it to a digital this spring and I don't even have A/C.

I second Donna on this. I too plan to switch our FUNKY standard thermostat to a digital. It is hard to get the temperature set right with its coarse control.

Bob K
Bobbito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2016, 10:46 AM   #27

Trailer: 2016 21' Escape (usetaowna a 19, a Burro and 2 Casitas)
Digital thermo is standard on my July build.

Art, tell me about the stereo upgrade? I'm wanting an XM unit but not finding any willingness from ETI to change the standard one and doing the swap after delivery. You bribing somebody?

Also, they're running some of the wires to the two tv locations but leaving up to me to hook them up.

Let's just say ordering my 19 was a different experience than I'm encountering now...

Greg
Old 03-05-2016, 11:27 AM   #28

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21C 2019 Expedition
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobbito View Post
I second Donna on this. I too plan to switch our FUNKY standard thermostat to a digital. It is hard to get the temperature set right with its coarse control.

Bob K
Did that mod recently and it is was very easy. To clarify, the digital unit Escape installs for AC is a completely different animal and evidently can only be installed during build.
Rossue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2016, 12:51 PM   #29

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
and the digital factory install also controls the heater as well as the a/c, can not do this aftermarket.
Old 03-05-2016, 01:11 PM   #30

Trailer: Escape 21', "Cardinals' Nest"
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greggo View Post
Digital thermo is standard on my July build.

Art, tell me about the stereo upgrade? I'm wanting an XM unit but not finding any willingness from ETI to change the standard one and doing the swap after delivery. You bribing somebody?

Greg
We like the digital thermostat. We don't have anything to add the the good advice above from others.

We enjoy the upgraded stereo unit with standard ETI speakers, which sound good to us.

Our Jensen AWM975 is much bulkier than the ETI standard stereo, which mounts under the cabinets. It fills enough of an overhead cabinet that we lost one cabinet door on our 21'. I don't know why ETI won't install it for you; perhaps the 19' doesn't have the space for it, or perhaps they found it too painful to install for us and a few others.

Also, our unit doesn't doesn't receive XM, which might require a different antenna? We just paid for a second year of Sirius XM with our Jeep Grand Cherokee. If we had known we would do that, we might have asked for XM capability in the trailer.

The CD player and radio have worked well for us. We haven't used the weather radio much, I think because our cell phone weather apps haven't shown reason to worry about the weather on our camping trips so far.

We're also still TV ready, but haven't gotten a TV yet, so we haven't tried the player with DVDs.

Art
Art M. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2016, 01:17 PM   #31

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpaharley2008 View Post
and the digital factory install also controls the heater as well as the a/c, can not do this aftermarket.
Yes, I wish I had known this before we got our 21 so we could have had this done for both heating and AC. However we will hardly ever use our AC, so if the digital thermostat just controls the furnace we will be happy. I gather that to install an after market unit you need a low voltage unit. Any advice on this and suggested brands/models, or is there a thread where this is already covered?

Bob K
Old 03-05-2016, 01:35 PM   #32

Trailer: 2017 Escape 21C, 2018 Ford F150
I'm sure there are many others that will work, but I replaced the mechanical thermostat that came with my 17 with a Honeywell RTH111 Digital Thermostat purchased at Home Depot.

All the thermostats I've purchased in the past included an actual wiring diagram that showed the various contacts in the thermostat. Honeywell only shows the letter codes without any information on what they do. That wouldn't be a problem if one was replacing a standard thermostat since the old one would probably use the same letter codes, but the trailer thermostat was uncoded. They do have an 800 number for help, but before I called it I tried a Google search & found what letter was what. Wired it up, tried it out & everything works.
Old 03-05-2016, 04:01 PM   #33

Any digital will operate the furnace but a special interface is needed for the a/c. My 2012 had digital furnace only, the 2014 has both a/c and furnace.
Old 03-05-2016, 04:28 PM   #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpaharley2008 View Post
Any digital will operate the furnace but a special interface is needed for the a/c. My 2012 had digital furnace only, the 2014 has both a/c and furnace.

Are you sure about that? I thought I read that the Escapes needed a low voltage thermostat, or are all home thermostats low voltage?
Old 03-05-2016, 04:57 PM   #35

Quote:
Are you sure about that? I thought I read that the Escapes needed a low voltage thermostat, or are all home thermostats low voltage?
Most home units are also low voltage, my house is 24 volts.
Old 03-05-2016, 09:29 PM   #36

Trailer: 2013 Escape 15A
Send a message via Skype™ to KarenH
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greggo View Post
...tell me about the stereo upgrade? I'm wanting an XM unit but not finding any willingness from ETI to change the standard one and doing the swap after delivery. Greg
Maybe I don't understand your question but I purchased (and delivered) an upgraded stereo to ETI to install and paid an installation surcharge. I did not ask them to change their standard stereo. Again, maybe I've got the question wrong.
'22 GMC Acadia Denali
KarenH is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2016, 09:42 PM   #37
Commercial Member

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21 - "Felicity"
Quote:
Originally Posted by KarenH View Post
Maybe I don't understand your question but I purchased (and delivered) an upgraded stereo to ETI to install and paid an installation surcharge. I did not ask them to change their standard stereo. Again, maybe I've got the question wrong.
Same here, and the installation charge included the under-cabinet housing for the stereo. Had them install an Alpine (which included the XM tuner and antenna.) They routed the XM antenna wire out the reefer vent and stuck it on the roof - probably would have worked fine inside the fiberglass trailer, though.

Need custom storage to your design? Don't drill holes!
www.RVWidgetWorks.com
tractors1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2016, 09:47 PM   #38

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21C 2019 Expedition
Quote:
Google low voltage single stage heat only thermostat. Based on another member's review I ordered an Emerson, however the others are probably as good. Big improvement.
Rossue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2016, 11:42 PM   #39

Trailer: 2016 21' Escape (usetaowna a 19, a Burro and 2 Casitas)
Quote:
Originally Posted by tractors1 View Post
Same here, and the installation charge included the under-cabinet housing for the stereo. Had them install an Alpine (which included the XM tuner and antenna.) They routed the XM antenna wire out the reefer vent and stuck it on the roof - probably would have worked fine inside the fiberglass trailer, though.
Thanks Karen and Charlie. My 21 build doc is still a work in progress, maybe the design change-over is clogging things up a little up there. My 19 build in 2013 was a bit smoother.

BTW, the xm antenna didn't work at all inside my 19, I was thinking the insulation blocked the signal. Putting it on the roof solved the problem.

Greg
Old 03-06-2016, 06:57 AM   #40

I found the same issue, antennas inside the trailer do not work, outside do. I mounted mine on the window glass to get better reception.