Build options with wifi 4g antenna ? - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Me | General Topics > Shopping Escape
Click Here to Login

Old 11-10-2016, 12:42 AM   #1
LJY

Trailer: 2017 Escape
Build options with wifi 4g antenna ?

Build sheet due soon for 21fter and still don't fully understand this..
I will need to either use wifi or cellular to telecommute.
Should I opt for the ETI installs or do some DIY setup?
If going with ETI install, what should I buy to ship to them?
If DIY, do I need to get an extra power outlet somewhere?

Thanks!
LJY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2016, 10:24 AM   #2
Commercial Member

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21 - "Felicity"
Yes on the outlet.

Read through this thread - lots of info, especially on the link to Technomedia.

http://www.escapeforum.org/forums/f9...cess-8909.html

Need custom storage to your design? Don't drill holes!
www.RVWidgetWorks.com
tractors1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2016, 03:24 PM   #3

Trailer: 2017 Escape 21C, 2018 Ford F150
I can describe the systems I added to my Escape 17B, although I'm sure there are other successful approaches. I added a WirEng Boat Antenna to the trailer located just in front of the driver's side rear window (I have an amplified FM antenna mounted at the rear side of the same window). The WirEng antenna is run to the upper front cabinet where I had Escape install a 12V receptacle. I have a Sleek cell amplifier in the cabinet in which I place my Verizon Hotspot if I need the amplifier. While the Sleek is no longer available, Wilson now sells a similar product - the WeBoost Drive. They also make a couple of devices that do not require placing a phone or Hotspot in a cradle (making it difficult to use as a phone, and only allowing one device at a time). While some have had good luck with them, others have found the short distances between the outside & inside antennas (and radio frequency transparent fiberglass roof) to be a problem. I prefer the cradle.

For WiFi, I have a WiFi Ranger Mini. This is a device that produces more power than the standard WiFi in most laptops, and lets you connect to the campground (or other) WiFi signals, then relay the WiFi to your devices. Useful when the campground WiFi is weak, but doesn't make up for typical overloaded campground systems.

A couple of things to think about - be sure that what ever you install for a cell antenna can be changed. New frequencies are being made available to the cell industry, and may require a different antenna in the future.

If you go with a repeating cell system (outside & inside antenna) be sure to provide as much separation between the antennas as possible. Too close & you will get feedback that shuts down the amplifier.

Both cell & WiFi signals can often be improved with height. A number of individuals have added masts to raise the antenna above other RVs, trees, etc. One problem is you probably won't be able to use the mast while driving; there are times I use the amplified Hotspot in the trailer to feed a WiFi signal to my truck.
Old 11-10-2016, 08:09 PM   #4

Trailer: 2017 Escape 21 - 2016 GMC Canyon 4x4 Diesel
In addition to the forum thread that Charlie referenced I recommend rvmobileinternet.com

You can get good basic information for free on that site, but to get the details you do have to pay for a subscription. It's well worth the money IMO.

"It ain't what you don't know that hurts you - it's what you know for sure that just ain't so.” - S. Clemens
StanLewis is offline   Reply With Quote