Build Photos - Page 3 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Me | General Topics > Shopping Escape
Click Here to Login

Old 01-26-2014, 02:56 PM   #41

Trailer: 2013 19 Escape
Tried to get all info before . Even called CA highway Patrol. They said no problem just need Bill of Sale . Went all the way home with one stop on Whidbey Island where kids live . Went 5 freeway through Oregon to Ca. Where we live . Many police and highway patrol along the way . No problem until DMV. Seems there is no standard to go by and most are confused on what to do . Someone already gave us plates, all taxes are paid but we are still in limbo for registration . Waiting for Sacramento to finish . According to Sacramento they don 't know we have plates. Not really worried though we have done everything right. We just have to wait for them to get their eggs in one basket. The sad thing we pay them and they work for us .
Patandlinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2014, 05:39 PM   #42

Trailer: No more Escape 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian B-P View Post
Rick, do you mean a Washington permit, obtained in Washington? Would that be in advance of pickup (what paperwork would be needed for that?), or after picking up the trailer?
Yep, Washington State. You pick it up in advance at a vehicle licensing office. It's placed inside on the rear window. The only thing you need is tp pay the fee of $25 at a county auditor or $30 at a commercial licensing office. It's good for 3 days.
Old 01-26-2014, 05:54 PM   #43

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
I applied for and received one in the mail last year when I was anticipating driving out to pick up my Escape 19. I sent a check and received one in the mail, very easy.
Old 01-26-2014, 05:59 PM   #44

Trailer: 2013 Escape 15B - 2014 Nissan Frontier SL
Quote:
Originally Posted by RickM View Post
Yep, Washington State. You pick it up in advance at a vehicle licensing office. It's placed inside on the rear window. The only thing you need is tp pay the fee of $25 at a county auditor or $30 at a commercial licensing office. It's good for 3 days.
I tried doing that last April 2013 at the Cowlitz County DMV. They wouldn't issue anything until I had the actual bill of sale and proof of import. However… they told me that if I had that info with me when I was traveling without a license on the trailer that I would not have any problems as long as it had not been a long time since I had received the trailer. True enough… traveled through Washington for 5 days and no one gave it a second look even passing numerous state patrol vehicles.
techfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2014, 06:34 PM   #45

Interesting. Trip permits are issued all the time. Here are some excerpts from the Department of Licensing:

Trip permits allow vehicle owners to operate their unlicensed vehicles on public highways
Any 1 recreational vehicle (RV) up to 2 times in a 1-year period. Recreational vehicles include motor homes, travel trailers, camp trailers, and campers.

Since we use the ferry, which has State Patrol monitoring, we played it safe with the trip permit.

To license the trailer the bill of sale et al are needed. Plus paying the taxes (ouch, no, make that double ouch). That unpleasant task I'll do this coming week.
Old 01-26-2014, 07:20 PM   #46

Quote:
Interesting. Trip permits are issued all the time. Here are some excerpts from the Department of Licensing:

Trip permits allow vehicle owners to operate their unlicensed vehicles on public highways
Any 1 recreational vehicle (RV) up to 2 times in a 1-year period. Recreational vehicles include motor homes, travel trailers, camp trailers, and campers.

Since we use the ferry, which has State Patrol monitoring, we played it safe with the trip permit.

To license the trailer the bill of sale et al are needed. Plus paying the taxes (ouch, no, make that double ouch). That unpleasant task I'll do this coming week.
Yes, but the difference is that this trailer is imported. Standard trip permits apply to items bought in the U.S. At least that is what I was told.
Old 01-26-2014, 07:35 PM   #47

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE
If you take possession in the U.S., it's already imported. Isn't it?
Old 01-26-2014, 07:53 PM   #48

Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
Quote:
Yep, Washington State. You pick it up in advance at a vehicle licensing office. It's placed inside on the rear window. The only thing you need is [to] pay the fee of $25 at a county auditor or $30 at a commercial licensing office. It's good for 3 days.
Thanks Rick. Sounds like a perfect solution for Washington residents, and those in other states and provinces could ask their local authorities if they have something similar.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2014, 08:05 PM   #49

Quote:
Originally Posted by gbaglo View Post
If you take possession in the U.S., it's already imported. Isn't it?
The question was whether you could get the trip permit BEFORE you picked up the trailer. If you had the import papers before you could get the trip permit before but you don't get those until Escape gives them to you after crossing the border. Now that you have them you can run to the nearest DMV in Lynden and get your trip permit.
Old 01-26-2014, 09:14 PM   #50

You get the trip permit before. The permit allows you to move an unlicensed vehicle over the highways. Then, after the movement, you get the license.
Old 03-19-2014, 01:21 PM   #51

Trailer: 2018 21' ; 2014 19' (Sold)
For what it's worth, went on line last Friday to set up a DMV appointment and managed to snag one at 2:20 pm that same day! Went down with all my Escape paperwork, filled out a few forms, took the forms and paperwork to a counter where the clerk typed everything into the DMV system and asked me for my check (sales tax and DMV fees). She went away and came back a few minutes later with our temporary "permit". Told me to come in when we return with the trailer so they can verify the VIN number and then our permanent plates and registration will be sent to us. I was out of there by 3:10 pm. Must be a new record ... and it certainly helps to have someone who knows what they are doing.
CADreamin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2014, 03:44 PM   #52

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0TA / 2016 Ram Eco Diesel 4X4
Quote:
Originally Posted by CADreamin View Post
For what it's worth, went on line last Friday to set up a DMV appointment and managed to snag one at 2:20 pm that same day! Went down with all my Escape paperwork, filled out a few forms, took the forms and paperwork to a counter where the clerk typed everything into the DMV system and asked me for my check (sales tax and DMV fees). She went away and came back a few minutes later with our temporary "permit". Told me to come in when we return with the trailer so they can verify the VIN number and then our permanent plates and registration will be sent to us. I was out of there by 3:10 pm. Must be a new record ... and it certainly helps to have someone who knows what they are doing.
Hi: CADreamin... Did you pinch yourself? They need the money...don't they? Alf
escape artist N.S. of Lake Erie
Ft.Myers Beach Florida for now
escape artist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2014, 04:44 PM   #53

Trailer: 2013 19' Escape
A big smile and a lot of patience made things flow at our local DMV. The only major issue I found was a desire to tax the Canadian $ price, not the USD. I had printed a web page showing conversion amounts for the date on the bill of sale. The clerk paused for a moment then stapled it the rest of the documents, took my check, and I was on my way. Having Kim prepare a document showing both $ amounts would probably seem more "official" to the more aggressive DMV's.
lefttee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2014, 05:25 PM   #54

I forgot to update my status . Finally received 2weeks ago registration papers with correct license plate number on paper which they already gave me before it was registered. It took the loan company to get involved because they were just as upset as we were. This has been going on since last year Dec. 2 when they were paid all fees and physically saw trailer and checked vin #. 3 times to DMV and wait up to 5hours . The best part was they said we were the first Escape trailer in California which we tried to tell them was not true . Maybe someone in Sacramento will now see many Escape trailers being registered in California .Sorry if I sounded crabby but I am not that young anymore to put up with stupidity which I have to pay for in taxes. I hope no one has to go through this again.
Old 03-19-2014, 05:29 PM   #55

Quote:
Originally Posted by lefttee View Post
Having Kim prepare a document showing both $ amounts would probably seem more "official" to the more aggressive DMV's.
On my final Build Sheet, ETI listed all payment details: USD, exchange rates and CND
Old 03-19-2014, 05:33 PM   #56

Forgot also had all paper work . Also Kim gave us a bill of Sale in United States currency which is what they got .
Old 03-19-2014, 09:48 PM   #57

Sorry if I sounded crabby but I am not that young anymore to put up with stupidity which I have to pay for in taxes. I hope no one has to go through this again.

Nope, I understand your pain. I've been burned many times by various DMV offices in the Silicon Valley. I have to say, the people near us (Santa Cruz/Capitola) seem to be on the ball ... or maybe they just don't care. But, seriously, they took Tammy's exchange rate at face value and only charged me tax on the U.S. dollars. The gal even said, a couple of times, that this was a VERY easy transaction thanks to Tammy's very complete paperwork.
Old 03-19-2014, 09:51 PM   #58

CADreamin... Did you pinch yourself? They need the money...don't they?

Yes, until I was black and blue!! And yes, they do need the money. Have to pay all those high salaries somehow ...
Old 03-19-2014, 11:19 PM   #59

At least we are legal now . They just did not know what to do . We did try another office near us on the recomendation of our ins agent but it was the same. They still need to pay us back $57.00 because fees were in checks but not holding our breath that may take 6months. Anyway love our 19 and have no issues with Escape Industries and are still glad we have our little Canadian Bambi.
Old 03-20-2014, 10:32 AM   #60

Yes, a few years down the road, you'll laugh at your experience with the DMV. Ha, ha .... And congratulations, maybe we'll meet at one of the get togethers.
Jan