Build Photos - Page 5 - Escape Trailer Owners Community

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Me | General Topics > Shopping Escape
Click Here to Login

Old 01-26-2014, 03:56 PM   #41

Trailer: 2013 19 Escape
Tried to get all info before . Even called CA highway Patrol. They said no problem just need Bill of Sale . Went all the way home with one stop on Whidbey Island where kids live . Went 5 freeway through Oregon to Ca. Where we live . Many police and highway patrol along the way . No problem until DMV. Seems there is no standard to go by and most are confused on what to do . Someone already gave us plates, all taxes are paid but we are still in limbo for registration . Waiting for Sacramento to finish . According to Sacramento they don 't know we have plates. Not really worried though we have done everything right. We just have to wait for them to get their eggs in one basket. The sad thing we pay them and they work for us .

Patandlinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2014, 06:39 PM   #42

Trailer: No more Escape 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian B-P View Post
Rick, do you mean a Washington permit, obtained in Washington? Would that be in advance of pickup (what paperwork would be needed for that?), or after picking up the trailer?
Yep, Washington State. You pick it up in advance at a vehicle licensing office. It's placed inside on the rear window. The only thing you need is tp pay the fee of $25 at a county auditor or $30 at a commercial licensing office. It's good for 3 days.

Old 01-26-2014, 06:54 PM   #43
Site Team

Trailer: 2016 2ndGen Escape 19' PRAIRIE SCHOONER pulled by 2014 Ram Hemi/8sp
I applied for and received one in the mail last year when I was anticipating driving out to pick up my Escape 19. I sent a check and received one in the mail, very easy.
Old 01-26-2014, 06:59 PM   #44

Trailer: 2013 Escape 15B - 2014 Nissan Frontier SL
Quote:
Originally Posted by RickM View Post
Yep, Washington State. You pick it up in advance at a vehicle licensing office. It's placed inside on the rear window. The only thing you need is tp pay the fee of $25 at a county auditor or $30 at a commercial licensing office. It's good for 3 days.
I tried doing that last April 2013 at the Cowlitz County DMV. They wouldn't issue anything until I had the actual bill of sale and proof of import. However… they told me that if I had that info with me when I was traveling without a license on the trailer that I would not have any problems as long as it had not been a long time since I had received the trailer. True enough… traveled through Washington for 5 days and no one gave it a second look even passing numerous state patrol vehicles.
techfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2014, 07:34 PM   #45

Interesting. Trip permits are issued all the time. Here are some excerpts from the Department of Licensing:

Trip permits allow vehicle owners to operate their unlicensed vehicles on public highways
Any 1 recreational vehicle (RV) up to 2 times in a 1-year period. Recreational vehicles include motor homes, travel trailers, camp trailers, and campers.

Since we use the ferry, which has State Patrol monitoring, we played it safe with the trip permit.

To license the trailer the bill of sale et al are needed. Plus paying the taxes (ouch, no, make that double ouch). That unpleasant task I'll do this coming week.
Old 01-26-2014, 08:20 PM   #46

Quote:
Interesting. Trip permits are issued all the time. Here are some excerpts from the Department of Licensing:

Trip permits allow vehicle owners to operate their unlicensed vehicles on public highways
Any 1 recreational vehicle (RV) up to 2 times in a 1-year period. Recreational vehicles include motor homes, travel trailers, camp trailers, and campers.

Since we use the ferry, which has State Patrol monitoring, we played it safe with the trip permit.

To license the trailer the bill of sale et al are needed. Plus paying the taxes (ouch, no, make that double ouch). That unpleasant task I'll do this coming week.
Yes, but the difference is that this trailer is imported. Standard trip permits apply to items bought in the U.S. At least that is what I was told.
Old 01-26-2014, 08:35 PM   #47

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B - "Toad". '08 Toyota RAV4 V6
If you take possession in the U.S., it's already imported. Isn't it?

What happens to the hole when the cheese is gone?
- Bertolt Brecht
gbaglo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2014, 08:53 PM   #48

Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
Quote:
Yep, Washington State. You pick it up in advance at a vehicle licensing office. It's placed inside on the rear window. The only thing you need is [to] pay the fee of $25 at a county auditor or $30 at a commercial licensing office. It's good for 3 days.
Thanks Rick. Sounds like a perfect solution for Washington residents, and those in other states and provinces could ask their local authorities if they have something similar.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2014, 09:05 PM   #49

Quote:
Originally Posted by gbaglo View Post
If you take possession in the U.S., it's already imported. Isn't it?
The question was whether you could get the trip permit BEFORE you picked up the trailer. If you had the import papers before you could get the trip permit before but you don't get those until Escape gives them to you after crossing the border. Now that you have them you can run to the nearest DMV in Lynden and get your trip permit.
Old 01-26-2014, 10:14 PM   #50

You get the trip permit before. The permit allows you to move an unlicensed vehicle over the highways. Then, after the movement, you get the license.