Build Sheet Choices: 17b - Page 3 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Me | General Topics > Shopping Escape
Click Here to Login
Register Files FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 03-19-2015, 10:35 PM   #41

Trailer: 2014 17B;2012 Nissan Frontier SV 4
Leon, I completly enjoyed your post. One of the best posts I've read on here yet! My mind works much the same way.

Hang on to the wheel. Your problem is that you tried moving the trailer on your own. Find more help and maybe you can move the thing.

We bought a hitch wheel also and it's been in the storage box ever since. But this spring when we bring our little 17b home we may put the hitch wheel to good use. I spend time thinking about backing up the driveway. The hitch wheel is my "back-up plan."

Larry
LarryandLiz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2015, 10:44 PM   #42

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE
The hitch wheel is of use if my trailer is in the carport on smooth concrete. I can shift it around some, but I have to kick the wheel into position to change direction.
Of course I have to get out my floor jack to lift the hitch high enough to attach the wheel...
I notice, Leon, that you have no takers yet.
Old 03-19-2015, 10:53 PM   #43

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21 "Lightning"
I couldn't afford that many stamps either...
BCnomad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2015, 12:00 AM   #44

Trailer: 2015 21'; 2011 19' sold; 4Runner; ph ninezero3 327-27ninefour
Quote:
Originally Posted by J Mac View Post
I don't have a 2 way hot water heater nor do I empty the hot water tank when I leave a camp site so I would think that just unplugging the trailer would turn off the heater eliminating any burn out problems.
As I know is the case with many of us, we try to only have our water heaters on for a few minutes a couple of times a day. Water stays hot for hours unless the weather is cold. We need it though when we need other items so have to pay attention to prevent tripping.

People often burn up the element when at home or on the next trip when they did empty the tank. They forgot that the heater was on because they keep it on all of the time. If you travel with it off and it is only on when needed, a few minutes every once and a while, then hopefully no problem.
float5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2015, 12:12 AM   #45

Trailer: 2015 21'; 2011 19' sold; 4Runner; ph ninezero3 327-27ninefour
Could be you will actually be on hard ground some time, or even asphalt or concrete, and then Lindy will want to know where it is! Better hold onto it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeonW View Post
well, I paid $35.00 for it. First it took up some space in the storage box until I tried to use it one time, and found out that one old guy ain't going to move the front end of the trailer much when the wheel is in some soft ground. Then, to save space I to put it on a shelf in my garage and, every time Lindy sees it she asks what it is, and I have to tell her it is the hitch wheel for the trailer. Then she asks me why it isn't with the trailer if it is the hitch wheel for the trailer. So I explain to her that it isn't very functional. Then she asks me why we bought it if we can't use it, and I have to explain that I didn't know very much when we first bought the trailer -- I still don't know very much, but maybe slightly more than I did in 2012. Then she asks if we can throw it away, and I explain maybe we will find someone who needs a hitch wheel someday, and we should save it for them. I have tried hiding the wheel so Lindy won't find it and ask these embarrasing questions , but I am afraid that if I hide it I won't remember where it is when someone comes along and needs a hitch wheel. So I am thinking that I should hide it, and then write a letter to myself reminding me where I hid it. I could mail the letter, and then when it arrives I could put it in a new envelope and mail it to myself again. but I am concerned about the cost of stamps and envelopes. At the current price of stamps, I think it would take less than two months before I had spent as much in stamps as it would cost me to buy a new hitch wheel to replace the one that I had lost so that I could give it to who ever needed a new hitch wheel. Besides, Lindy reads my mail, and if she read the letter, she would go look at the hitch wheel, and awkward questions would start all over again.

Really, this has been preying on my mind for almost three years. It keeps me awake at night. When I am awake at night, I start to think about poutine, and whether or not there is any good poutine to be found in St. Paul, and why the poutine at The French Hen is not real poutine. After that I worry about whether or not our Highlander is the right tow vehicle, and how we are going to make it up and down the mountains on the way to the rally, especially given all the extra weight from the hitch wheel which may be carried in the storage compartment unless I decide that it will adversely affect the balance of the trailer and should be kept in a rear storage compartment to lighten the tongue weight.

I hope that helps you understand how it can be more trouble than it is worth, and why I am really hoping that someone will want the hitch wheel, and take it off my hands (or out of my garage). If no one steps up, I may have to resort to drastic measures.
float5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2015, 12:27 AM   #46

Trailer: 2008 Escape 17b
Quote:
Originally Posted by gbaglo View Post
The hitch wheel is of use if my trailer is in the carport on smooth concrete. I can shift it around some, but I have to kick the wheel into position to change direction.
Of course I have to get out my floor jack to lift the hitch high enough to attach the wheel...
I notice, Leon, that you have no takers yet.
I'm sorry you've found the hitch wheel so complicated. With a little planning you can use the device quite easily. Try attaching the wheel prior to unhitching your trailer from the tow vehicle when parking in your garage. That way you won't need to use your jack.
J Mac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2015, 12:41 AM   #47

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE
My driveway is sloped up to the carport, which is level. So, the vehicle is like this / and the carport is _.
The hitch wheel cannot be attached to the jack post because there isn't enough room to do it without lifting the hitch.
Drop by any time to show me how. I'll even pour you a beer.
And, it's a whole lot easier to maneuver the trailer while attached to the tow.
Old 03-20-2015, 01:34 AM   #48

Trailer: None, sold my 2014 5.0TA
Quote:
Originally Posted by J Mac View Post
I understand the need for a lighted reminder that the propane hot water heater is on but I'm not sure why one would need an on off switch for when the two way hot water heater is using shore power.
The switch is just for convenience, at least for me, saves me walking outside to turn it on or off. The factory switch is in the outside access hatch for the water heater, hidden behind a pipe or some such.
Old 03-20-2015, 05:06 AM   #49

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
Very funny, Leon.....
Old 03-20-2015, 08:47 AM   #50

Trailer: 2015 Escape 17B
My questions have certainly generated considerable discussion and a lot of good information that has helped us clarify our option choices. Thanks for your interest and help. Dave and Jane even interrupted their trip home from Valley of Fire (NV) to show us their beautiful 17B. They were most generous in spending time answering our many questions and sharing their thoughts and experience with us. The friendliness and willingness to help newbies demonstrated by members of this forum is remarkable!
Dave
Dave & Penny Smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2015, 09:00 AM   #51

Trailer: 2008 Escape 17b
Dave & Penny Smith, thank you for starting this post. What we were reminded of is, what works for some doesn't work for others.
J Mac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2015, 05:20 PM   #52

Trailer: 5.0TA 2017
i love the inside on/off switch for my water heater i only turn it on when i need hot water then off again it heats up very fast.
Fox hunt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2015, 05:30 PM   #53

Trailer: 2015 Escape 17B
Thanks for the the input and ideas! We've decided on the following:
1. Stove Cover--yes
2. hitch Wheel--no, will look at BAL Tongue Twister instead
3. Water Heater Indicator Light--yes
4. Cushions--will get the standard (vinyl back) rather than all fabric
5. Winterizing T-Valve--no, will use compressed air to winterize
6. Captain's Lights--will place (above bed) on the passenger side
Thanks,
Dave