Build sheet - completed (I think!) - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Me | General Topics > Shopping Escape
Click Here to Login

Old 12-20-2015, 09:22 PM   #1

Trailer: "The Trailer", 2nd Gen 21' & a 2017 Tundra CrewMax in Blazing Blue Pearl
Build sheet - completed (I think!)

As I mentioned elsewhere, I pretty much figured out my build sheet some time ago and I've been fine tuning it since I was able to snag a trailer spot that just opened up for Dec 2016.

I know some of what I've picked won't appeal to others, but they do to us. If anyone has any comments or suggestions, please post. I added an exterior 12V outlet so a fan could be set up to scare away the buggies, due to a recent post that mentioned that. There may be a few other tips I've missed out on reading.

Yes, I don't need to turn it in for a long time, but the sooner I get it done the better as we'll know exactly how much this trailer will cost and we know our savings goal.

Thanks!

Some comments:
1. I've left off the hitch as I'm going to have to educate myself on that.
2. We're getting a $100 credit for going with a bare-naked trailer. I plan to put on my own graphics (any guesses there?)
3. $150 credit for not getting the bed mattress as I'm putting in a long twin mattress from SelectComfort - a lot of thought has gone into the bed decision; I need some comfortable sleep!
4. Crystal is checking to see if they can install an elongated toilet instead of the regular shape
5. We're going to supply our own kitchen sink and faucet, showerhead and a single lever faucet for the bathroom (not getting the sink in there)
6. Note the switch by the door for the inside lights is included; someone had posted earlier they weren't doing that any longer, but Crystal gave me a price of $35 for that option. Yay!

2 burner stainless steel stove w/o hood
2 way hot water tank
additional exterior LED light, by storage box
air conditioner
aluminum rims, 4
captains reading lights, 4
custom fabric
custom flooring
custom formica
extended cabinet above drawer stack
exterior 12V outlet, by door/kitchen area
exterior hatch
extra insulation & thermal windows
filler boards w/cushion, 2
flip up counter in kitchen at end of counter
flip up counters in dinette, 2
foot flush toilet

Group 29 12V battery (126 amp hours)
inverter
maxx fan w/remote, smoke grey
microwave
opening window in bathroom
power jack
propane tanks, filled, 2
reinforce walls, min 3
shelves in closet, 4
shut off valve for toilet
spray foam underneath
storage box
surge protector
switch at door for inside light
u-shaped dinette
winterizing t-valve
wireless back up camera
wiring for solar panel in future
NW Cat Owner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2015, 09:46 PM   #2

Trailer: 2015 E'21 - 'Velocity'. Tow: Toyota Tacoma V6, 4X4, manual.
Quote:
Originally Posted by NW Cat Owner View Post
If anyone has any comments or suggestions, please post.
If the "extended cabinet above drawer stack" doesn't interfere, a small window and/or overhead light will brighten up what we determined was the darkest corner.

Photo shows the window, the led light was added later.

--
Alan
Attached Thumbnails
bed corner window.jpg  
alanmalk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2015, 09:58 PM   #3

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE
Looks like you probably won't have any use for a safe.
Old 12-20-2015, 10:00 PM   #4

Trailer: "The Trailer", 2nd Gen 21' & a 2017 Tundra CrewMax in Blazing Blue Pearl
Hey Alan, that's a great place to put a window!

We decided we want the extended cabinet there as we're not going to have a video displaying device there and I can always use the storage space.

Dang - just realized I should put one of the flip up counters there, below the outlets so they can be used for charging stuff or whatever. Whew! Glad I remembered that.
Old 12-20-2015, 10:01 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by gbaglo View Post
Looks like you probably won't have any use for a safe.
Huh!??!?!

Are you talking about one of those hidden spaces that was in a thread I read long time ago? If not, heck if I know what you mean.
Old 12-20-2015, 10:13 PM   #6
Site Team

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0 TA
Quote:
As I mentioned elsewhere, I pretty much figured out my build sheet some time ago and I've been fine tuning it since I was able to snag a trailer spot that just opened up for Dec 2016.
Good for you. That build sheet can be a hair puller! I can only tell you why my build sheet was a bit different than yours and my thinking at the time (STILL very much pleased)

Custom flooring. I actually like the standard. It doesn't show dirt/grime. Besides all but a few inches along the sides doesn't show because I use throw rugs. If/when I decide I don't like the vinyl, I can change it to something else.

Foot flush toilet. I don't have one (or three) in my sticks 'n bricks... the standard works just the same. I flush at the "tank" at home....

Spray foam. I live/camp where it's more wet than cold. No one get mad... but I think it's FUGLY and I'm all about the visual. I'd rather wear insulated boots inside my trailer than have that foam. Obviously YMMV.

Rearview camera. Can't do a dang thing about what's going on behind me during travel. Roads I travel are twisty enough that I can see when I need to pull over at the next opportunity. If it was an option, I would prefer a periscope to see what is happening in FRONT of me (road debris, etc.) And, I never want to rely on a camera to help me back up.... G.O.A.L.

Fan w/remote. I can't keep track of my reading glasses... a remote? For me I'd always be looking for it. Granted if I remembered to put it in a cubie at bed time and needed to turn it up/down during sleeping time, that would be good. The rest of the time a bit of exercise has never hurt me.

I didn't get the mattress either, not because I'd heard it wasn't comfortable... but I wanted a twin and I can sleep on a brick!

But, in the end this is your trailer being built to your wants/needs. I hope you get exactly what you want and make a ton of memories!
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2015, 10:29 PM   #7

Trailer: 2014 Escape 19, sold; 2019 Escape 21, Sept. 2019
Quote:
Huh!??!?!

Are you talking about one of those hidden spaces that was in a thread I read long time ago? If not, heck if I know what you mean.
Baglo's sense of humor is like fine wine, it's an acquired taste.

I took his joke as "the way you're adding extras, you won't be having extra cash"

Wish I'd have deleted the factory mattress and gone with foam instead. Good build list, now the waiting really begins.

Ron
Ron in BC is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2015, 10:47 PM   #8

Trailer: 2013 19 Escape
Quote:

I know some of what I've picked won't appeal to others, but they do to us. If anyone has any comments or suggestions, please post. I added an exterior 12V outlet so a fan could be set up to scare away the buggies, due to a recent post that mentioned that. There may be a few other tips I've missed out on reading.

Yes, I don't need to turn it in for a long time, but the sooner I get it done the better as we'll know exactly how much this trailer will cost and we know our savings goal.

Thanks!

Some comments:
1. I've left off the hitch as I'm going to have to educate myself on that.
2. We're getting a $100 credit for going with a bare-naked trailer. I plan to put on my own graphics (any guesses there?)
3. $150 credit for not getting the bed mattress as I'm putting in a long twin mattress from SelectComfort - a lot of thought has gone into the bed decision; I need some comfortable sleep!
4. Crystal is checking to see if they can install an elongated toilet instead of the regular shape
5. We're going to supply our own kitchen sink and faucet, showerhead and a single lever faucet for the bathroom (not getting the sink in there)
6. Note the switch by the door for the inside lights is included; someone had posted earlier they weren't doing that any longer, but Crystal gave me a price of $35 for that option. Yay!

2 burner stainless steel stove w/o hood
2 way hot water tank
additional exterior LED light, by storage box
air conditioner
aluminum rims, 4
captains reading lights, 4
custom fabric
custom flooring
custom formica
extended cabinet above drawer stack
exterior 12V outlet, by door/kitchen area
exterior hatch
extra insulation & thermal windows
filler boards w/cushion, 2
flip up counter in kitchen at end of counter
flip up counters in dinette, 2
foot flush toilet

Group 29 12V battery (126 amp hours)
inverter
maxx fan w/remote, smoke grey
microwave
opening window in bathroom
power jack
propane tanks, filled, 2
reinforce walls, min 3
shelves in closet, 4
shut off valve for toilet
spray foam underneath
storage box
surge protector
switch at door for inside light
u-shaped dinette
winterizing t-valve
wireless back up camera
wiring for solar panel in future
Good your deleting the mattress . We didn't ,gave it a good try and ended up selling it and now have air and latex . Should of known better we have select comfort at home and can't do springs even with a latex topper . Also just did 4 fancy wheels , no point covering up a fancy wheel which may never use . If I got a flat I would fix it asp anyway . Your list looks good . Pat
Patandlinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2015, 11:37 PM   #9

Trailer: 2015 Escape 19 "Seventy Degrees"
Laura,
Some personal thoughts on the build sheet. Ignore at will:
Wish we'd deleted the mattress and gone with the 8" foam one we had in the 17B.
No use personally for the rearview camera. Got enough to distract me in the cab already.
Not sure how much you'll be off the grid, but the twin 6v batteries were never an option for us. Already saved our rear behind Cracker Barrel in 12 degrees on the way home from Chilliwack running the furnace hard all night.
No twin 6v and no solar, not sure why the inverter? If I was going to put the expense out for the inverter, I'd put the twin 6v first, solar second, well before I spent the $$ on the inverter.
Best time to get custom flooring, fabric and formica. Cost was peanuts with the conversion rate compared to what it would cost later with no conversion rate.
Not sure the reason on 2 filler boards and 2 extra cushions. Confused on that one.
Just happy for you that you got the slot! Time is gonna fly by and we'll be reading about your pickup trip....
Greg A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2015, 11:49 PM   #10

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE
I second keeping your eyes on the road ahead, well ahead. If you do you won't have to slam on the brakes and the guy tailgating will have plenty of time to realize you are slowing as you take your foot off the gas.
Remember, trailers must be passed, so keep an eye on your mirrors and what's ahead.
Old 12-21-2015, 12:52 AM   #11

Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron in BC View Post
Baglo's sense of humor is like fine wine, it's an acquired taste.

I took his joke as "the way you're adding extras, you won't be having extra cash"
Maybe more like Greek Retsina or Newfie Screetch... but I took it the same way and found it good for a grin.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2015, 01:00 AM   #12

Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
Quote:
Originally Posted by Donna D. View Post
Foot flush toilet. I don't have one (or three) in my sticks 'n bricks... the standard works just the same. I flush at the "tank" at home....
A good point. On the other hand, I don't have a sprayer beside the toilet in the house to be used to rise the bowl contents down, so keeping both hands free by using a foot flush lever is not as useful there. I'll avoid unpleasant details of how the toilet is used and what might need to be flushed, which I understand varies between individual users.

Quote:
Rearview camera. Can't do a dang thing about what's going on behind me during travel. Roads I travel are twisty enough that I can see when I need to pull over at the next opportunity. If it was an option, I would prefer a periscope to see what is happening in FRONT of me (road debris, etc.) And, I never want to rely on a camera to help me back up.... G.O.A.L.
The list said "wireless back up camera", so I don't think the intention is to use it on the road. I find the backup camera on my motorhome (sorry, don't have one on the trailer but the idea is the same) quite useful when backing up. It's not a substitute for getting out and looking at the spot on foot before backing up, but it is helpful to see just how far I have gone... since I have to get back in behind the wheel to back up.

With a hole in the shell and the wiring involved, I assume that the backup camera falls in the category of stuff that is a good idea to have done at the factory during the original build.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2015, 04:54 AM   #13

Trailer: None, sold my 2014 5.0TA
Only thing I'd reconsider is the group 29, if I was getting an inverter I'd go for all the battery storage I could get and go with the twin 6's.
Old 12-21-2015, 07:22 AM   #14

Trailer: 2017 Escape 21, 2016 GMC Canyon Duramax

If you switch to a different size mattress I am assuming there will be a gap where the old mattress used to be. What do you do with the gap?
stephen99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2015, 08:25 AM   #15

Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
Quote:
Good for you. That build sheet can be a hair puller! I can only tell you why my build sheet was a bit different than yours and my thinking at the time (STILL very much pleased)

Custom flooring. I actually like the standard. It doesn't show dirt/grime. Besides all but a few inches along the sides doesn't show because I use throw rugs. If/when I decide I don't like the vinyl, I can change it to something else.

Spray foam. I live/camp where it's more wet than cold. No one get mad... but I think it's FUGLY and I'm all about the visual. I'd rather wear insulated boots inside my trailer than have that foam. Obviously YMMV.

Fan w/remote. I can't keep track of my reading glasses... a remote? For me I'd always be looking for it. Granted if I remembered to put it in a cubie at bed time and needed to turn it up/down during sleeping time, that would be good. The rest of the time a bit of exercise has never hurt me.

I didn't get the mattress either, not because I'd heard it wasn't comfortable... but I wanted a twin and I can sleep on a brick!

But, in the end this is your trailer being built to your wants/needs. I hope you get exactly what you want and make a ton of memories!

We have been hanging around the same corner of these interwebs too long, as I am mostly agree with all you said. Scary, eh?

We might do custom flooring though, it all depends on whether I plan to do cork in the near future, or not. This is mostly because I WANT to do things to make it customized to us inside. Many, many mods will be done new.

I am torn on the foam. I like the potential warmth idea of the foam, but I too think it does not look so good under there, and it makes some mods tough to do if needing to run anything underneath. I also have to wonder what it will look like after a few years of gravel roads which we travel a lot.

And we are going to go with the mattress we put in the 19, a firm foam base, with a 2 1/2" latex foam top. We loved the feeling of sleeping on clouds.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2015, 08:48 AM   #16

Trailer: Escape 19 26/May/2014 Sold New trailer 2016 Bigfoot 25B21FB
Laura & Dirk,
What is the option? (filler boards w/cushion, 2 ) just curious .

Mark & Karen Van Tiem 2014 Escape 19 sold, Now a Bigfoot 25B21FB Travel Trailer
markvt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2015, 08:55 AM   #17

Trailer: 2017 Escape 21, 2016 GMC Canyon Duramax
Quote:
Originally Posted by markvt View Post
Laura & Dirk,
I wonder if the filler boards w/cushion is to fill up the gap left by the smaller than normal mattress.
stephen99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2015, 09:18 AM   #18

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21 -- The Skylark. Towed by a 2014 Highlander
Take these for what there worth, but my vertically challenged wife the remote for the fan. Otherwise she couldn't reach the controls without getting on a stool or the bed. There is a holder for the remote that we attached to the wall of the closet.

She also loves the foot flush toilet. Darned if I can figure out why. We had the regular toilet, but she became so enamored of the foot flush to the point she was willing to pay ETI $200 for the swap. As for me, $200 is cheap to keep a good woman happy.

If you are short ( I am 5'7", and Lindy says she is 5'), you should consider getting a raised floor in the dinette area. It was another thing we added after the fact, along with a pedestal table, and it made a huge difference in how comfortable it is for us to sit at the table. Some of this is due to my sciatic issues, but Lindy loves it too.

The nice thing about Escape is that you can actually have a build sheet as opposed to just taking what's on the lot!
Old 12-21-2015, 09:24 AM   #19

Trailer: 2015 21'; 2011 19' sold; 4Runner; ph ninezero3 327-27ninefour
Quote:
Originally Posted by markvt View Post
Laura & Dirk,
This is likely for the U dinette to fill in some of the area for lounging.
float5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2015, 09:26 AM   #20

Trailer: 2015 21'; 2011 19' sold; 4Runner; ph ninezero3 327-27ninefour
I also liked the 8" foam for the older beds. We have a latex topper on the mattress but not sure we don't want something else. Probably a good idea to not get the mattress.

I would get the two six-volts as others are saying. Solar may be wanted sooner rather than later.
float5 is offline   Reply With Quote