Build sheet - completed (I think!) - Page 2 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Me | General Topics > Shopping Escape
Click Here to Login

Old 12-21-2015, 09:38 AM   #21

Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Floating Cloud View Post
This is likely for the U dinette to fill in some of the area for lounging.
I am not following this, is not the whole idea of the U-shape for lounging already?
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2015, 09:44 AM   #22

Trailer: 2015 21'; 2011 19' sold; 4Runner; ph ninezero3 327-27ninefour
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Bennett View Post
I am not following this, is not the whole idea of the U-shape for lounging already?
There is a big space there and when you want to sit sideways, say back at refrigerator and legs toward the back middle, you can use a fill-in or two. Also, some have pets and they go on the fill pieces. I am looking at that to see what we might do as we did not get any. It would be good to have a corner piece. I thought a fill-in was too deep but need something. Second fill piece completes the area I believe.
float5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2015, 10:06 AM   #23

Trailer: "The Trailer", 2nd Gen 21' & a 2017 Tundra CrewMax in Blazing Blue Pearl
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg A View Post
Not sure the reason on 2 filler boards and 2 extra cushions. Confused on that one.
And to everyone else that asked, look at the photo at this thread and you'll see what the filler boards are and how they're used. One can be for lounging, which is why I'm getting the u-shaped dinette. Two will be for hubby's sleep area.

As you can see, my butt's too big to fit on there comfortably without that board! Hee, hee.

http://www.escapeforum.org/forums/f4...ette-5674.html
NW Cat Owner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2015, 10:11 AM   #24

Trailer: "The Trailer", 2nd Gen 21' & a 2017 Tundra CrewMax in Blazing Blue Pearl
Quote:
Originally Posted by Donna D. View Post
Custom flooring. I actually like the standard. It doesn't show dirt/grime. Besides all but a few inches along the sides doesn't show because I use throw rugs. If/when I decide I don't like the vinyl, I can change it to something else.

Foot flush toilet. I don't have one (or three) in my sticks 'n bricks... the standard works just the same. I flush at the "tank" at home....

Spray foam. I live/camp where it's more wet than cold. No one get mad... but I think it's FUGLY and I'm all about the visual. I'd rather wear insulated boots inside my trailer than have that foam. Obviously YMMV.
Thanks for your comments. I don't like throw rugs as I'm always tripping over the stupid things, so it's safer for me to not have 'em. And I detest the colors in the standard countertop and flooring. I'm not a gold and/or brown color person. One of the reasons none of the stick builts appealed to us - they all use brown. Yuck.

I'm not bending over to flush the toilet, no ifs, ands or buts about it.

The spray foam won't bother us in terms of looks. Heck, it's white, the trailer is white.
Old 12-21-2015, 10:14 AM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donna D. View Post
Fan w/remote. I can't keep track of my reading glasses... a remote? For me I'd always be looking for it. Granted if I remembered to put it in a cubie at bed time and needed to turn it up/down during sleeping time, that would be good. The rest of the time a bit of exercise has never hurt me.
So, is there a fan there to start with, but I'm paying extra for the remote? I thought I was paying for the fan and just deciding on which color (clear or smoke) that I wanted. If so, that's interesting to know as I don't see why I should pay extra for a remote that I'll end up losing.

And what is the standard fan then?

Thanks much for this comment - learned something here!
Old 12-21-2015, 10:16 AM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron in BC View Post
Baglo's sense of humor is like fine wine, it's an acquired taste.

I took his joke as "the way you're adding extras, you won't be having extra cash"

Wish I'd have deleted the factory mattress and gone with foam instead. Good build list, now the waiting really begins.

Ron
Ah, thanks Ron, I had not looked at it that way, obviously. And usually I pick up on humor but not this time.

Yeah, never had a safe and probably never will. HA! I'm selling most of my figurine collection to help finance this purchase. Definitely not any spare cash around here (unless it's from craigslist sales and not in the bank yet).
Old 12-21-2015, 10:20 AM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg A View Post
Not sure how much you'll be off the grid, but the twin 6v batteries were never an option for us. Already saved our rear behind Cracker Barrel in 12 degrees on the way home from Chilliwack running the furnace hard all night.
No twin 6v and no solar, not sure why the inverter? If I was going to put the expense out for the inverter, I'd put the twin 6v first, solar second, well before I spent the $$ on the inverter.
I'm really clueless about this stuff and I've deferred to my husband on this matter. He thinks for the way I'll be using the trailer, I should be fine. He's thinking I'll be using hook ups most of time.

However, I'm thinking, over time, I'll start to go off the grid more. Which is why we're not getting the solar now, but can add it later.

So, if someone(s) can give me some good, solid reasoning on why I should chose something different, please let me know and I'll tell him when he gets back from his cruise in Asia (went with his mom; I don't have any desire to go).

Thanks much!
Old 12-21-2015, 10:23 AM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian B-P View Post
The list said "wireless back up camera", so I don't think the intention is to use it on the road. I find the backup camera on my motorhome (sorry, don't have one on the trailer but the idea is the same) quite useful when backing up. It's not a substitute for getting out and looking at the spot on foot before backing up, but it is helpful to see just how far I have gone... since I have to get back in behind the wheel to back up.

With a hole in the shell and the wiring involved, I assume that the backup camera falls in the category of stuff that is a good idea to have done at the factory during the original build.
Exactly, thanks Brian. Yep, it's only in use when I'm backing up. Not while I'm driving. I have a back up camera on my FJ and I LOVE it! I'll never have another vehicle without it. Yes, I'll check out the spot before physically backing up, but once you've used 'em it's very hard not to have them.

And yes, this is something that's a good idea to do during the build. Neither of us want to start poking holes in the trailer nor are we wanting to do mods like some folks love to do.
Old 12-21-2015, 10:29 AM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by stephen99 View Post
3. $150 credit for not getting the bed mattress as I'm putting in a long twin mattress from SelectComfort - a lot of thought has gone into the bed decision; I need some comfortable sleep!

If you switch to a different size mattress I am assuming there will be a gap where the old mattress used to be. What do you do with the gap?
Yeah, when flopping on the beds of the trailers we looked at (I warned the owners I'd be flopping; Tom laughed and said now he understood what I meant ), I was not that impressed with them. After using a Select Comfort for over 20 years, it's hard to sleep on anything else. I tried one of those memory foam mattress covers on the motorhome rental I had for a month and I did not like it.

Unfortunately, Select Comfort doesn't make custom sized beds and a XL Twin is the only size that will fit there, length wise, which is what I really need (I'm 5'10").

The extra space along the side will be used for stuff like my book, glasses, clock and other things. I'll probably get a little bin for them. And I'm thinking of putting some foam along one side for Lucy to sleep on, if she's still around when we get it (she's old, so who knows). I'll also put something down on the plywood so I won't run the risk of getting slivers and such. Something covered with cat themed fabric, I'm sure.
Old 12-21-2015, 10:34 AM   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeonW View Post
If you are short ( I am 5'7", and Lindy says she is 5'), you should consider getting a raised floor in the dinette area. It was another thing we added after the fact, along with a pedestal table, and it made a huge difference in how comfortable it is for us to sit at the table. Some of this is due to my sciatic issues, but Lindy loves it too.

The nice thing about Escape is that you can actually have a build sheet as opposed to just taking what's on the lot!
Nope, we're not short. I'm 5'10" and Dirk is 5'8", so the regular height of the dinette table is just fine for us. But I can see how it can help others.

I had to laugh over your comment "Lindy says she is 5 feet" - are you questioning that comment?

And YES on your last comment. one of the biggest appeals to getting this trailer. We didn't find anything on the dealer lots and at shows that appealed to us. Too much BROWN for one thing - now I can get purple fabric and flooring and countertops with black! Love it!
Old 12-21-2015, 11:54 AM   #31

Trailer: 2015 21ft Escape "Spirit of the Plains", 2014 GMC Sierra with max tow package
Wow, you sure don't dally around with your build sheet. The two things we were back and forth on the most were the U-shaped dinette and the WDH. Were very happy the way it all worked out. If we had to do it all over again, I really don't know what we would change. As for the spray foam, they spray paint it black. Loren
Loren & Cathy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2015, 12:14 PM   #32

Trailer: 2013 19 Escape
Quote:
Originally Posted by NW Cat Owner View Post
I'm really clueless about this stuff and I've deferred to my husband on this matter. He thinks for the way I'll be using the trailer, I should be fine. He's thinking I'll be using hook ups most of time.

However, I'm thinking, over time, I'll start to go off the grid more. Which is why we're not getting the solar now, but can add it later.

So, if someone(s) can give me some good, solid reasoning on why I should chose something different, please let me know and I'll tell him when he gets back from his cruise in Asia (went with his mom; I don't have any desire to go).

Thanks much!
As others have said it would be a good idea to at least go with the 29 battery . Had one in my camper 9 1/2 and motor home 20 ft . I now have 2 6 volts in trailer a 19 .Especially if doing inverter. I just have a portable barely use ,for us . I see your reasoning with adding inverter now getting it is wired in now .Also on solar pre wiring , we did that too. Just upping your battery power would be good now at least to the 29 . Your getting the 21 and the 27 is not much power for the size of your trailer .Just a thought . Pat
Patandlinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2015, 12:17 PM   #33

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loren & Cathy View Post
Wow, you sure don't dally around with your build sheet. The two things we were back and forth on the most were the U-shaped dinette and the WDH. Were very happy the way it all worked out. If we had to do it all over again, I really don't know what we would change. As for the spray foam, they spray paint it black. Loren
Well, like I said, I've been working on it for some time now and did not want to leave it for the last minute. Plus, once it's turned in they can't charge me more if anything increases in price!

So, did you get the u-shaped dinette? I'm really looking forward to that as I love to stretch out and read a book.

Oh, I thought the foam was white. Heck if I know why, but I did. Good to know it's black. Still won't change my mind on getting it though.
Old 12-21-2015, 12:54 PM   #34

Trailer: 2017 Escape 21, 2016 GMC Canyon Duramax
So Laura, now instead of spending hours on your build sheet you are instead spending hours explaining it to everyone else. LOL
stephen99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2015, 01:12 PM   #35
Commercial Member

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21 - "Felicity"
I went for the 29 battery in our 21 because it included the larger battery box that is used for the dual 6V batteries; makes it simple to upgrade later (when the 29 gets old) should I desire.

Need custom storage to your design? Don't drill holes!
www.RVWidgetWorks.com
tractors1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2015, 01:24 PM   #36

Quote:
Originally Posted by stephen99 View Post
So Laura, now instead of spending hours on your build sheet you are instead spending hours explaining it to everyone else. LOL

I don't mind. I had hoped this would happen when I posted the build sheet list as I want feedback from those that already have a trailer and have used it. We haven't, so I figured there would be a few things I might have missed or whatever.

And yes, I know folks use them differently and all that, so some might not agree with some of my decisions. So, keep the comments coming!

Thanks to everyone that has commented already and will do so in the future. I appreciate each and every one of 'em. Even the one on the safe, now that I get the joke.
Old 12-21-2015, 01:28 PM   #37

Quote:
Originally Posted by tractors1 View Post
I went for the 29 battery in our 21 because it included the larger battery box that is used for the dual 6V batteries; makes it simple to upgrade later (when the 29 gets old) should I desire.
So, if I get that battery and later find out it's not enough for us, I can swap it out without any problems? That's good to know. Thanks for your comment.

And hey, I'm sure you're getting ready for your vacation Charlie. Away from all our rain and such. Have fun! At some point I'll contact you to see what all you can come up for our trailer. Much later on.
Old 12-21-2015, 01:36 PM   #38

Trailer: 2017 21 "Blue II" & 2017 Highlander XLE (previously 2010 17B "Blue" & 2008 Tacoma)
Quote:
So, if I get that battery and later find out it's not enough for us, I can swap it out without any problems?
Unless you consider the cost of two 6V batteries plus installation a problem. They are about $150 - $175 USD each for the Interstate's like Reace puts in. Plus some different cabling.

Having had both a Group 27 in our Scamp and now dual 6V, I'd never go back to anything but the dual 6.

"Beware of false knowledge; it is more dangerous than ignorance." George Bernard Shaw
thoer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2015, 01:40 PM   #39

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
So, is there a fan there to start with, but I'm paying extra for the remote? I thought I was paying for the fan and just deciding on which color (clear or smoke) that I wanted. If so, that's interesting to know as I don't see why I should pay extra for a remote that I'll end up losing.

And what is the standard fan then?

Thanks much for this comment - learned something here!

It is a $100 upgrade for the remote, otherwise you have to manually turn on/off unless you have it on auto which can cause some issues if forgotten and it operates while undertow. The $25 is an upgrade to smoke lens cover vs the stock opaque white cover. The smoke see thru allows moon light and more daylight into the trailer. The stock is not see thru.
Old 12-21-2015, 01:43 PM   #40

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
Quote:
So, if I get that battery and later find out it's not enough for us, I can swap it out without any problems? That's good to know. Thanks for your comment.

And hey, I'm sure you're getting ready for your vacation Charlie. Away from all our rain and such. Have fun! At some point I'll contact you to see what all you can come up for our trailer. Much later on.
I too got the larger group 29 battery with the larger box that will hold the dual sixers. If you do not plan on using solar for the refer while towing, the 29 battery is sufficient. If you do get solar and want to tow on 12v, then get the dual sixers.