Build sheet finalized for "The Trailer" - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Me | General Topics > Shopping Escape
Click Here to Login

Old 01-27-2016, 04:20 PM   #1

Trailer: "The Trailer", 2nd Gen 21' & a 2017 Tundra CrewMax in Blazing Blue Pearl
Build sheet finalized for "The Trailer"

YAY! Just a short while ago I signed off on our build sheet so it's now finalized. It's a darn good thing I was doing tons of research before the surprise slot opened up for the trailer last month. Just over 5 weeks from calling them to finalizing the build sheet. Didn't help that hubby was out of town during half that time. But, only two items went up in price before I signed off on it, so it wasn't that bad. I expect more items to increase in price, though.

For those that are interested in the build sheets for others (I know I love reading those posts!), here's what all we're getting. I know not everyone will agree with it, but that's fine. It's our trailer and hopefully will be for many, many years to come. (huge knock on wood is what you just heard!)

Now I get to start planning for trips! Lots of fun there!

21' trailer
2 way hot water tank
2 burner stove w/cover and range hood (yeah, decided to go with that after looking at my other options; will report on any head banging later after we get it)
rotate stove 90 degrees
install customer provided sink and faucet, rotate sink 90*
12v drop terminating on rear bumper for future flood lights
additional 12v exterior outlet by standard 120v exterior outlet
group 29 12v battery
inverter 1500w w/one outlet
pre-wire solar
surge protector
additional opening window in bathroom
extra insulation and thermal windows
additional exterior LED light by storage box
2 LED reading lights in dinette
LED awning light strip
additional switch by door for inside lights
air conditioner w/digital thermostat
aluminum rims
E2 by FastWay hitch
power tongue jack
wireless back-up camera
exterior hatch, rear drivers side
2 shelves in wardrobe closet
1 shelf in full length cabinet
full height cabinet added to drawer stack, w/flip up counter
counter extensions - end of kitchen counter and 2 in dinette
additional door on bed platform - bathroom side
delete sink in bathroom
install customer provided bathroom faucet and showerhead
water filter
winterizing t-valve
toilet shut-off valve
foot flush toilet
starter kit (easier just to get it all at once from them and not that much of a price difference)
2 12" filler boards for dinette
storage box for front of trailer
custom flooring
custom formica (basalt slate)
custom fabric (sunbrella volt berry)
u-shaped dinette (table provided, but not installed)
cushions along side made into two instead of one long cushion for ease of access to storage (and to appease cats that might be lounging on them as well)
white belly band
install customer provided heat tape on tank pipes
sand pads
install customer provided horst probes
3 reinforced walls
delete mattress, graphics, day shades and valences

Whew! It's so exciting to get all this figured out.

I send out many thanks to various folks on this forum that have been willing to post their build sheets and reasons behind different options. I may not agree with all of 'em, but I still learned from them.

NW Cat Owner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2016, 04:35 PM   #2

Trailer: 2015 Escape 19 "Seventy Degrees"
Sweet!
Congrats on finalizing the choices. Now you can sit back and watch the time fly by.
Greg A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2016, 04:36 PM   #3

Trailer: 2005 Escape 17B Sold 2016. 2016 Escape 19 Sold 2019. 2019 Escape 21 picked up Sep 2019
Congratulations Laura!! We picked up our 19 a few weeks ago and LOVE the basalt slate formica.

We also deleted the graphics. Curious: why did you delete the day shades and valences. I'm guessing you want to do your own... but how will you attach and operate any shades you install? I ask this because we still have our 17B that we'll sell this spring... but we need to install a new shade for the back window. I'm perplexed as to how to do this.

Again, congrats and many, many years of happy and safe travels!
Old 01-27-2016, 04:45 PM   #4

Trailer: "The Trailer", 2nd Gen 21' & a 2017 Tundra CrewMax in Blazing Blue Pearl
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg A View Post
Sweet!
Congrats on finalizing the choices. Now you can sit back and watch the time fly by.
Thanks Greg! Yeah, like figuring out trips to go on and places to vend at outside of the Seattle area. If it comes earlier than originally planned, got a few things in mind already.

Alaska will wait until Dirk retires in 6 years. then we'll have lots of time to head up that way and explore!
Old 01-27-2016, 04:49 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by sallemann View Post
Congratulations Laura!! We picked up our 19 a few weeks ago and LOVE the basalt slate formica.

We also deleted the graphics. Curious: why did you delete the day shades and valences. I'm guessing you want to do your own... but how will you attach and operate any shades you install? I ask this because we still have our 17B that we'll sell this spring... but we need to install a new shade for the back window. I'm perplexed as to how to do this.

Again, congrats and many, many years of happy and safe travels!
Thanks Dolly! Hey, you need to change your info thingie on the left side of the screen then! Just saying.

Yep, we're going with Bali shades. I really detest shades with cords and I especially detest that black metal thingie that holds them down. I talked with ETI about it and they said there's room along the bottoms of the cabinets to install the shades. They'll be cordless, just like the ones we have at home. And I won't have to worry about the cats getting hung up on them or chewing on the cords.

Glad to hear someone else likes the basalt slate countertop. I know someone else that has it on order for their 5.0TA.
Old 01-27-2016, 04:59 PM   #6

Trailer: None, sold my 2014 5.0TA
Laura, do yourself a favor, stop reading this thread.
Old 01-27-2016, 05:07 PM   #7

Trailer: 2005 Escape 17B Sold 2016. 2016 Escape 19 Sold 2019. 2019 Escape 21 picked up Sep 2019
Quote:
Originally Posted by NW Cat Owner View Post
Hey, you need to change your info thingie on the left side of the screen then! Just saying.
Done... thanks!

Thanks for the info on the Bali shades. I'll check into those. Good info.
Old 01-27-2016, 06:52 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by padlin View Post
Laura, do yourself a favor, stop reading this thread.
HA! Not a chance! I read every thread, which is how I've learned quite a bit about these trailers and stuff involved with them. Although I won't continue reading some when they go too far off topic or get into stuff that just goes right over my head. Yeah, just not into engine power and stuff like that.

Well, I will admit to not reading the ones on traveling to various locales very closely, but I did bookmark a bunch of 'em. I wanted to wait until we had the trailer ordered before I started reading those. Now that the build sheet is done, I can concentrate on those threads more than before.
Old 01-27-2016, 06:54 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by sallemann View Post
Thanks for the info on the Bali shades. I'll check into those. Good info.
Someone posted that they use wraps around their blinds to hold them in place while traveling. I plan to get some of those velcro-type wraps (a package of different colored ones) to put around the shades. I use them on some wire grid display racks I have for my show inventory and they work great at keeping the support feet from rattling around.
Old 01-27-2016, 07:54 PM   #10

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
I believe you want the shades all the way down while traveling, particularly if you leave your trailer unattended on a shopping center/restaurant lot to keep prying eyes to a minimum. Also keeps the interior cooler via shade.
Old 01-27-2016, 08:00 PM   #11

Not with the cordless house shades Jim. If they aren't banded in the up position for travel the cords break pretty quickly. We discovered this in our 17, and once we banded them had no further breakage.
Old 01-27-2016, 08:07 PM   #12

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
are talking about the stock shades Escape now uses, with the strings at each end?
Old 01-27-2016, 08:35 PM   #13

No, Laura isn't getting the Escape shades or valances, she's getting custom cordless. I agree with you on the Escape shades and leave them down when traveling, but the custom cordless ones need to be banded open.
Old 01-27-2016, 08:49 PM   #14

Trailer: 2013 Escape 15A
Send a message via Skype™ to KarenH
Standard shades...

Some pictures or some links to the products that are being mentioned might help as I'm confused what is what here. Below is a pic of what I think is still the standard shades used in the Escapes trailers. (This pic was taken to show the difference in standard LED lighting and the "shaded" LED lighting as per the suggestion of Jon Vermilye.)
Attached Thumbnails
Filtered LED.jpg  
'22 GMC Acadia Denali
KarenH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2016, 09:20 PM   #15

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21C 2019 Expedition
Hi Laura- we had the same experience with an updated production list when we ordered our 21 in May 2014 and had five weeks as well so I know what you've been going through. Non-stop forum searching. Your build sheet shows a lot of time researching and the toilet shut-off valve is just one example as it is not shown as an ETI option.

I wonder about the wisdom of deleting the valences & shades, unless you are getting a good credit for doing so.

Though I agree with the no mattress & no graphics I think it is questionable not to have dual 6V with no solar, especially with an inverter. I know from experience that it is about par to buy dual 6'ers at Costco, but you spend a bit of time doing the install. Would strongly advise you upgrade the batteries. And again, given the killer exchange rate- if you're getting the inverter, which we definitely use, then get the transfer switch now.

Also, you can remove the sink if you want in the bath, but we use it.

You probably don't need the fastway. We stopped using the Andersen after it starting to be problematic and with our Yukon we frankly don't miss it. You have a Tundra.

Finally, if ordering again I wouldn't get the aluminum rims from ETI as they don't seem easy to replace in the U.S. Also, the rims are weighted on the outside as they come pre-mounted with tires which leaves a mar on the rim when you have to fix a flat or replace tires.

Either way, you are going to love the trailer- and congratulations!
Rossue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2016, 09:45 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpaharley2008 View Post
I believe you want the shades all the way down while traveling, particularly if you leave your trailer unattended on a shopping center/restaurant lot to keep prying eyes to a minimum. Also keeps the interior cooler via shade.
I guess I should have said while driving down the road, as I'm assuming they're going to flop all over the place and get messed up. yeah, will keep 'em down while situated somewhere, unless I want light coming in or the kitties insist in laying in the sunshine. They can be rather demanding at times!
Old 01-27-2016, 10:15 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rossue View Post
(snip) I wonder about the wisdom of deleting the valences & shades, unless you are getting a good credit for doing so.

Though I agree with the no mattress & no graphics I think it is questionable not to have dual 6V with no solar, especially with an inverter. (snip)

Also, you can remove the sink if you want in the bath, but we use it.

You probably don't need the fastway. We stopped using the Andersen after it starting to be problematic and with our Yukon we frankly don't miss it. You have a Tundra.

Finally, if ordering again I wouldn't get the aluminum rims from ETI as they don't seem easy to replace in the U.S. Also, the rims are weighted on the outside as they come pre-mounted with tires which leaves a mar on the rim when you have to fix a flat or replace tires.

Either way, you are going to love the trailer- and congratulations!
Thanks! Yeah, we're really stoked!

Yeah, I know others won't agree with some of our decisions. The battery one has already been debated here and at home. I defer to my husband on that one and if it doesn't work out, well I guess we can change it, since the build sheet is signed off on I'm not making any changes to it now.

I know we'll be in the minority on the blinds but I really do not like them and we much prefer the Bali type blinds which we have all over our house. I know I'll make a separate report on those once we start using the trailer. ETI never said "hey Laura, that's a crappy idea" and I figure they would know if it was.

Well, dang, that's the first I've heard that about the rims. But, advantage to us - the factory is only 3 hours away if there's major problems with them. Or they get replaced at some point. But I read here they're easier to clean and that won out for me!

I looked online for information on the 3 hitches they're currently using and the Fastway was the only one that said you could back up with everything all hitched up. Again, easy on me and that makes life easier on the hubby. I just could not see myself getting out all the time to unhitch whatever and then backing up. But, again, if it doesn't work out - guess what? Yep, replace that baby! And then sell it on craigslist.

I looked at that dinko sink in the bathroom and decided I would never use it. I never used a bigger one in the motorhome I rented for a month and I figured my big butt would much prefer the room in the bathroom while showering instead of banging into a sink that I would hardly ever use. (Gawd, I love this grinning icon thingie!)

Thanks for your comments Rossue. It's always great to hear other ideas - that's how some of our build sheets get added to.

I might add, when I thanked many on this forum, I forgot to say "thanks for helping me spend more money". HA!
Old 01-27-2016, 10:25 PM   #18

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE
I think some sway contols have to be disconnected to back up. The standard Pro Series doesn't have sway control and doesn't need to be disconnected.

I decided not to replace my steel wheels when I realized that aluminum also requires maintenance.
Old 01-27-2016, 11:01 PM   #19

Trailer: 2013 19 Escape
Quote:
Originally Posted by gbaglo View Post
I think some sway contols have to be disconnected to back up. The standard Pro Series doesn't have sway control and doesn't need to be disconnected.

I decided not to replace my steel wheels when I realized that aluminum also requires maintenance.
Glenn what maintenance do I need to do with the fancy wheels ? Is it if you get crummy weather? So far ours look pretty good over 2 years now . When we wash trailer we always wipe them down . Pat
Patandlinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2016, 11:06 PM   #20

Trailer: 2013 Escape 15A
Send a message via Skype™ to KarenH
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rossue View Post
Finally, if ordering again I wouldn't get the aluminum rims from ETI as they don't seem easy to replace in the U.S.
I'm curious about the aluminum rims, too. I have had them for two years now and see no reason to replace them. What am I missing?
'22 GMC Acadia Denali
KarenH is offline   Reply With Quote