Build sheet finally done!! - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Me | General Topics > Shopping Escape
Click Here to Login

Old 12-22-2016, 02:18 PM   #1

Trailer: 17b - 2017 model
Build sheet finally done!!

I finished my build sheet today! Happy to receive complements, criticisms, or advice. This is for a 2017 17b which is due to be completed in March 2017.

2 Burner Stainless Steel Stove with Stove Cover
DELETE RANGEHOOD
4 cuft Fridge
External Fridge Fan
2 - Way Hot Water Tank
DELETE Bathroom Sink
Install Shower Taps as close to exterior wall as possible
DO NOT Install TOILET PAPER Holder Until Orientation
INSTALL CUSTOMER PROVIDED BATTERY ISOLATOR SWITCH
Dual 6V Batteries
Pre-Wire for custom Battery Monitor -terminate in O/H above stove
4- Interior 12V Outlets 1&2) front of the trailer, on the driver side, in the visible upper cabinet face above the upper shelf (forwards of the upper cabinet door), fed by AWG 10 wires 3&4) below the sink, right under the counter lip, on the visible face that is facing the isle, as close to the rear dinette as possible on that visible cabinet face, fed by AWG 10 wires
1- Exterior 12V Outlet installed between the wheel and the door, below the fridge intake vent, fed by AWG 10 wires
160W Solar Panel with Charge Controller - INSTALL CONTROLLER IN D/S DINETTE BENCH
1- Additional 160W Solar Panel
Surge Protector
Removable Power Cord
1- LED Captains Reading Lamps ($40/each) Centered Under Rear overhead Cabinet
Additional Set Rear Upper LED Brake/Signal Lights
Wireless Back - Up Camera Display Monitor with 12V Plug DO NOT WIRE TO CLEARANCE LIGHTS - WIRE TO BACK-UP PIN TO 7-PIN PLUG
Extra Insulation & Frame-less Thermal Windows (Includes Opening Rear Window, Frt. Window with Rock Shield Non-Thermal) - Plan B
Opening Window in Bathroom (Frame-less Thermal) - Plan B
Opening Window in Kitchen (Frame-less Thermal)
Aluminum Rim Package (Includes 3 Aluminum Rims)
Gaucho Bunk
2- Shelves in Wardrobe Closet ($75/each) 1) 10.25" from top cabinet opening to top of shelf 2) 12.25" from bottom cabinet opening to bottom of shelf CUSTOMER NEEDS 9.25" FROM TOP OF BOTTOM SHELF TO BOTTOM OF TOP SHELF
1- Additional Counter Extension ($85/each) Side of Wardrobe beside Entry Door
Exterior Propane Quick Connect with 12' Propane Hose and Adapter
Storage Box (Front of Trailer)
Install customer Provided Horst Probes -black & grey tanks
DO NOT INSTALL TABLE. Install customer supplied table base (I'm getting the Dicor slider and Springfield pedestal)
1- Reinforced Wall W4 (this is the wall between the bathroom and the isle)
Graphic Color: DELETE ALL GRAPHICS
Hitch Wheel
Rhino Sewer Tube Kit
Sand Pads (Set of 4)
paulk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2016, 02:32 PM   #2

Trailer: 2016 19 classic "outta sight", jeep rubicon unlimited
Impressive list!!
No graphics?: you still keep the black belly band?
Old 12-22-2016, 02:48 PM   #3

Trailer: None, sold my 2014 5.0TA
Looks good. You have 2 solar panels, are you thinking of adding an inverter later?
Old 12-22-2016, 02:55 PM   #4

Trailer: 2017 Escape 17B/2021 F150 w/ 3.5 Ecoboost
Might see you in March...mine is due then also. Can't wait....
Old 12-22-2016, 03:07 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by padlin View Post
Looks good. You have 2 solar panels, are you thinking of adding an inverter later?
I might get a portable 200 watt inverter later if needed that can plug into any 12 volt outlet. Our computers and phones all have 12 volt outlets though, so no need to get that yet.

The dual solar was more about getting enough solar energy in shaded campsites. Here in the Pacific Northwest a lot of campsites are in the trees. Looking into the issue I found that you get about 10% of the maximum rated solar collection in fully shaded scenarios, so 320 watts = 32 watts.
Old 12-22-2016, 03:10 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marry View Post
Impressive list!!
No graphics?: you still keep the black belly band?
I took out the graphics because I saw somewhere you get a $100 credit. When I got the build sheet back it was no change in the price and I didn't bother to add it back again.
Old 12-22-2016, 03:37 PM   #7

Trailer: 2015 21'; 2011 19' sold; 4Runner; ph ninezero3 327-27ninefour
Quote:
Originally Posted by paulk View Post
I took out the graphics because I saw somewhere you get a $100 credit. When I got the build sheet back it was no change in the price and I didn't bother to add it back again.
I would ask about getting a credit added.

I can see that you have put a great deal of thought into the build sheet. I would not, however, omit anything standard on the trailer such as bath sink or range hood, but you have probably considered why you don't want those. Just for others, that is my opinion that buyers may find later that they wish they had those items, and also for resale. Quite a few people end up selling before they expected. Those resale buyers are often very familiar with Escapes and may want those standard items. But even you may want them. Standard items are there for good reasons.

Sure you saw the recent TP holder mess-up and hope you will pay attention to that!

I would probably not spend that kind of money for two solar panels with shaded sights in mind. Many get a second panel that is portable for those occasions. You may not want to bother with one. Of course, your two panels can come in very handy later for you or the next owners if you decide to get a large inverter and boondock.

Looks like a great list and you are set!
float5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2016, 04:24 PM   #8

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE
Quote:
1- Additional Counter Extension ($85/each) Side of Wardrobe beside Entry Door
I don't understand this. On the door side, the counter extension would block entry/exit. On the seat side, you can't sit there with extension. Maybe I don't see what you see?
Old 12-22-2016, 06:36 PM   #9

Trailer: 2018 19'
Also omitted range hood then 2 days ago tammie called & said oops, range hood cut. Went w range hood rather than a a rebuild.
Mucram is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2016, 08:43 PM   #10
Site Team

Trailer: 2015 19 "Past Tents", 2021 F150 Lariat 2.7L EB
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mucram View Post
Also omitted range hood then 2 days ago tammie called & said oops, range hood cut. Went w range hood rather than a a rebuild.
In that case, I have something you might want to consider - a SAM-1 Range Hood Fan conversion kit from Fabulous Operating Products. Fan is quiet, moves 10 times as much air, 3 speeds, lever for shutting the vent instead of unlocking the flap from outside, and an LED light strip built in with two light levels. Worth the effort.
Old 12-22-2016, 08:52 PM   #11

Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mucram View Post
I had a similar thing with my 19. They installed a TV antenna by mistake. Reace offered that I either keep it for free, or they would remove it and repair. I chose the latter, and other than a couple spots in the liner where the bolts had been, I could tell nothing. Mistakes unfortunately happen, I too have made them, but don't tell anyone, okay?
Quote:
Originally Posted by rbryan4 View Post
In that case, I have something you might want to consider - a SAM-1 Range Hood Fan conversion kit from Fabulous Operating Products. Fan is quiet, moves 10 times as much air, 3 speeds, lever for shutting the vent instead of unlocking the flap from outside, and an LED light strip built in with two light levels. Worth the effort.
I have read a few other reviews now, plus with getting your input on it, and have placed the order. I would not want to do without a range hood, but definitely want one we want to use.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2016, 10:51 PM   #12
Site Team

Trailer: 2015 19 "Past Tents", 2021 F150 Lariat 2.7L EB
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Bennett View Post
I have read a few other reviews now, plus with getting your input on it, and have placed the order. I would not want to do without a range hood, but definitely want one we want to use.
Good to hear. There is a bit of fabrication involved, like drilling out the spot welds that hold the cheap tin box fan on the hood, and using snips to cut down the wiring cover a bit, but nothing that's difficult. Did my install in about 2 hours. One thing I did though that really helped, Jim: I cut off some of the plastic on the output end of the fan assembly. It protrudes too far back for the thin walls of an Escape, and cutting about 1/2" off the end (I used a Dremel) allowed for a tight fit along the wall without the outlet interfering with the vent cover outside. You'll see what I mean when you go to install it. Also: replacing the Escape exterior vent cover is completely optional. The SAM-1 works just fine with either cover. Lastly, I had to add some foam along the bottom of the hood assembly where it meets the wall, because of the curve. You won't have to do that with the new flat walls, so there's a plus.
Old 12-23-2016, 12:09 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by float5 View Post
I would ask about getting a credit added.

I can see that you have put a great deal of thought into the build sheet. I would not, however, omit anything standard on the trailer such as bath sink or range hood, but you have probably considered why you don't want those. Just for others, that is my opinion that buyers may find later that they wish they had those items, and also for resale. Quite a few people end up selling before they expected. Those resale buyers are often very familiar with Escapes and may want those standard items. But even you may want them. Standard items are there for good reasons.

Sure you saw the recent TP holder mess-up and hope you will pay attention to that!

I would probably not spend that kind of money for two solar panels with shaded sights in mind. Many get a second panel that is portable for those occasions. You may not want to bother with one. Of course, your two panels can come in very handy later for you or the next owners if you decide to get a large inverter and boondock.

Looks like a great list and you are set!
Yes, good points about resale. I'm less concerned about that, so I just configured it the way that I wanted.

The range hood is something that I waffled over for a while, but in the end I concluded that the MaxxFan would be up to the task of venting the trailer while cooking. Sure, it will need to remove more air than the range hood since it's not directly over the stove, but I figured that it was manageable, especially with the kitchen window, which I can open exclusively to provide a cross draft. Also, I don't typically sear foods, so smoke is less of a concern for me. I rarely use my vent fan at home. I figured that even if I ended up wanting the stove vent, it would be easy to add one later, whereas removing the vent and fiber glassing the hole would be more work.

Removing the bathroom sink on the other hand was a slam dunk for me. The first trailer that I saw had no sink in the bathroom and I much preferred the additional roominess compared to later trailers that I saw with the sink. There is after all a perfectly good sink in the kitchen that can be used. One drawback I found out later was that ETI now mounts the shower knobs very low due to the new furnace obstructing where the water pipes can come in. It's not like we're going to use the shower much though anyways.

I didn't see the thread on the TP mess-up. I'll look that up. I was going to put it on the wall between the bathroom and kitchen, right below the bathroom belly band, as close to the exterior wall as reasonable to get it out of the way.
Old 12-23-2016, 12:13 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by gbaglo View Post
I don't understand this. On the door side, the counter extension would block entry/exit. On the seat side, you can't sit there with extension. Maybe I don't see what you see?
The counter extension is only 11 inches wide. With it flipped upwards, you can still get out of the doorway if you traverse sideways. I tried it a few days ago when I visited ETI. Not ideal in this scenario, but I only plan to use it while cooking, and only occasionally at that.
Old 12-23-2016, 12:29 AM   #15

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE
I have counter extension to the left of the sink. My feet go under when sleeping, so we don't lower it at all.
We place stuff to go outside on top of the wardrobe and have 3M hooks on the side for stuff you want to access from inside and outside.
Attached Thumbnails
17b kitchen counter.jpg   3M hooks and check list.jpg  
Old 12-27-2016, 03:47 PM   #16

Trailer: 2017 Escape 21, 2017 Toyota Tundra 5.7L 4x4
AWG 10 wires for 12 volt drops

Quote:
I finished my build sheet today! Happy to receive complements, criticisms, or advice. This is for a 2017 17b which is due to be completed in March 2017.

4- Interior 12V Outlets 1&2) front of the trailer, on the driver side, in the visible upper cabinet face above the upper shelf (forwards of the upper cabinet door), fed by AWG 10 wires 3&4) below the sink, right under the counter lip, on the visible face that is facing the isle, as close to the rear dinette as possible on that visible cabinet face, fed by AWG 10 wires
I see you are requesting AWG 10 wires instead of the usual AWG 14. How much is ETI charging for the larger wire?
richardr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2016, 04:49 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by richardr View Post
I see you are requesting AWG 10 wires instead of the usual AWG 14. How much is ETI charging for the larger wire?
+$35 per outlet, but they said it was an all or nothing deal, so I paid that on each additional outlet that I added. I would have requested that anyways.

I was surprised that they were willing to do the AWG 10 upgrade considering they didn't want to add some of the wires that I requested in other areas.
Old 12-27-2016, 05:00 PM   #18

Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
I am curious as to what loads you expect to want #10 wires, and are the outlets rated for 30 amps?
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2016, 05:21 PM   #19

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
perhaps a hairdryer??..... always the bane for boondockers.
Old 12-27-2016, 08:24 PM   #20

Trailer: 2017 Escape 17B
Hairdryers are typically used in 20 amp outlets with awg 12 wires. I've never seen anything above that in a residence, except 240 circuits of course. I like the idea of upgrading to awg 12, but can't imagine using anything heavier except wiring batteries, converters and solar panels.

Walt

Walt
Blacksburg, VA
WaltP is offline   Reply With Quote