Build sheet modification question - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Me | General Topics > Shopping Escape
Click Here to Login

Old 03-16-2015, 05:08 PM   #1

Trailer: 2015 escape 19
Build sheet modification question

We are currently putting together our 19's build sheet. Many options are already decided but we would love some input on others.

We like the idea of having more counter space by turning the stove. My question regarding this concerns how close the burners are to the wall. I'm sure ETI wouldn't consider this modification if it was unsafe but is it awkward for cooking?

We also think we want to eliminate the range hood. Thoughts?

We also are considering prewire for stereo for possible addition of satellite radio. Is this a possibility.

Is the 12v/USB outlet a useful addition?

Thanks for any help you can offer
Larry and Caren
LDRay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2015, 05:24 PM   #2

Trailer: 2014 Escape 19, sold; 2019 Escape 21, Sept. 2019
Quote:
Originally Posted by LDRay View Post
We are currently putting together our 19's build sheet. Many options are already decided but we would love some input on others.

We like the idea of having more counter space by turning the stove. My question regarding this concerns how close the burners are to the wall. I'm sure ETI wouldn't consider this modification if it was unsafe but is it awkward for cooking?

We also think we want to eliminate the range hood. Thoughts?

We also are considering prewire for stereo for possible addition of satellite radio. Is this a possibility.

Is the 12v/USB outlet a useful addition?

Thanks for any help you can offer
Larry and Caren
Turn the stove! No concerns at all and I'm so glad I found out it could be done before we finalized our build.

Range hood: some say get rid of it, it's in the way etc. and also we never cook inside the trailer. Well I say, I'm not a small person and for the life of me I can't see how it could be in the way of anything. I can reach out and touch the exterior wall without my face even coming close to it. If you're in the "I never cook inside the trailer" crowd then maybe you might want to eliminate it. Heck, then you could even eliminate the stove But if you're going to cook in the trailer from time-to-time then you might want to ask what you'd rather clean; the range hood or the ceiling and the fantastic fan.

Electronic pre-wiring: things change so fast, I'm reluctant to build in something that could be obsolete in a very few years.

USB outlets: You can get them on ebay for under $5. I've installed them in several areas. I'd recommend using the trailer for a couple of trips and decide where you want to put them. They're easy to install afterwards.

Ron
Ron in BC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2015, 05:34 PM   #3

Trailer: None, sold my 2014 5.0TA
Range Hood: we had one before and never used it so we did not get one in the Escape, don't use the one in the house either. That might be a good indicator, do you use the one in your house? if so then get it. Pros: It was nice to hold magnets. Cons: plastic vent flap broke 3 times, without being used. I agree with Ron, it was not in the way. In place of the hood ETI installed another light.

On edit: we don't use the stove for much other then water for coffee and on bad weather days.

Pre wire for stereo on our trailer is just speaker wires run from where ETI would normally install the receiver to where they would put speakers.
Old 03-16-2015, 05:44 PM   #4

Trailer: Escape 19, 2018: Last Best Escape
Agree with padlin: we had problems with the outside flap. The outside ducting discolored, lost the retaining pins, and the light that comes with it isn't bright enough.

In our 19, we didn't order it. We'll use the Fantastic fan instead: much more effective for removing moisture & cooking odors. But, to each his own, right?

KSitte

Honda Pilot 2019
ksitte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2015, 06:18 PM   #5

Trailer: 2015 19' Escape "On the Lam"
Our trailer is in production, so we haven't camped in it, yet. But we did decide to turn the stove 90 degrees to gain some counter space, plus we eliminated the range hood. I read the forum extensively and decided to go this route. Many folks like the openness the absence of the hood creates, and yes, a light is added in its' place. We dry camped a lot and in our previous Casita and using the hood fan was not an option, a great DC power sucker. I used small fans in the camper and found that the Fantastic fan took care of cooking odors and moisture. We don't cook often inside and even then, nothing greasy.

The stove cover does have an additional flange that shields the vinyl of the trailer and like others, I trust that Reace wouldn't allow the stove to be turned if it was a danger. I cook using the back burners on the stove at home, so think this arrangement will be fine. But folks have to decide what suits them best---and isn't this the great advantage of an Escape trailer? To have the input in construction of our trailers is tremendous!

We received terrific advice and insight from folks on the Forum and at ETI. Great support to be found here. All the best~
Peace,
Gae
oldclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2015, 06:19 PM   #6

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE
Folks. You don't have a Fantastic Fan. It's a MaxxFan. A superior product.
Old 03-16-2015, 06:23 PM   #7

Oops--thanks for the clarification!
G
Old 03-16-2015, 06:33 PM   #8

Larry and Carin,
We also pre-wired for stereo--for 2 reasons. 1) wanted a larger cabinet door on the rear overhead, thus eliminating space for built-in speakers and 2) wanted to have time to research options for stereo/sound. So many forum members have customized their systems and they have the knowledge to do so. With so many wonderful decisions to make, we decided to put this on the back burner, yet have the ability to add something later. Some folks have added their own Jensen system and Bluetooth speakers--something else I'm looking at.
Gae
Old 03-16-2015, 07:25 PM   #9

Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron in BC View Post
Heck, then you could even eliminate the stove
I thnk Ron's joking, but a travel trailer can be useful without a built-in stove. It has been pretty common in tent trailers to have an inside-outside stove, which plugs into a low-pressure propane fitting where you want to use it at the moment - either outside, or inside on the kitchen counter. You can also just omit the stove and use the portable stove inside (with one-pound propane cylinder or butane cartridge) when desired - example. Neither is an Escape option, and I don't know if Reace would even entertain either as a customization, because I haven't asked (yet ).
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2015, 07:43 PM   #10
Site Team

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0 TA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian B-P View Post
I thnk Ron's joking, but a travel trailer can be useful without a built-in stove. It has been pretty common in tent trailers to have an inside-outside stove, which plugs into a low-pressure propane fitting where you want to use it at the moment - either outside, or inside on the kitchen counter. You can also just omit the stove and use the portable stove inside (with one-pound propane cylinder or butane cartridge) when desired - example. Neither is an Escape option, and I don't know if Reace would even entertain either as a customization, because I haven't asked (yet ).
I asked and it's not. Well, I should say.. I asked for the stove to be omited but plumbed for future. Crystal said no. Either stove or no stove + no propane plumbing for stove. I suppose if you're willing to run your own propane lines (in the future), ETI might omit the stove. I wasn't willing to go that far. YMMV.
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2015, 08:40 PM   #11

Trailer: 2015 escape 19
Thanks for all the input. We rarely use our range hood so I think we will stick with the decision to eliminate it.
LDRay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2015, 09:20 PM   #12

Trailer: 2015 Escape 19' (sold), Escape 5.0 as of August 2019 (sold)
I talked to ETI last Friday. The 12v outlet now comes standard with two USB outlets. We added a second 12v outlet with USB near the bed.
JStelly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2015, 11:45 PM   #13

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21 -- The Skylark. Towed by a 2014 Highlander
Glad to have the range hood

I know that some folks don't use the stove much. We prefer to cook outside, but I noticed on our last couple of trips that we cooked inside more than I would have expected. Maybe because it was fall and cool outside. One night I decided to make pasta, which as you expect, puts a lot of moisture into a small trailer on a cool evening. We ended up range hood fan going, the Maxx Fan on, and the kitchen window open. The windows still steamed up. After we were done cooking, it didn't take long for them to clear off, but I was happy for all the ventalation that we could get. To quote Ms. Donna, YMMV, but we are increasingly glad to have a range hood.

Also, I thought about USB plugs, but decided that it was just as easy to get regular 12volt outlets that work with the power cord for our laptops, the Bose speaker and the TV, and then get separate USB plugs that we could use for our iDevices. That way, if USB-C, or (whatever the next version of USB is) ever takes off, all I have to replace are the plugs. That said, I am curious as to what the 12volt/usb plugs that Escape installs look like. Are they simply USB outlets or are they a combination?
LeonW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2015, 12:22 AM   #14
Commercial Member

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21 - "Felicity"
When I had ETI add my stereo (with XM) antenna they ran the wire up through the fridge back side and out the roof vent; then epoxied it to the roof top glass. Can't see it from the ground.

Need custom storage to your design? Don't drill holes!
www.RVWidgetWorks.com
tractors1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2015, 07:13 AM   #15

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
Another option with the stove re: concern being too close to wall is to flip the stove and sink, I had the stove installed by the door because I did not want to be cooking near the bed (in the 19' model) and the sink was installed by the bed. That also allowed the kitchen window be moved further away from the door. The look was more aesthetically pleasing from the outside. In side with the stove by the door it was closer to the MaxxFan and I eliminated the hood.
Old 03-17-2015, 02:58 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpaharley2008 View Post
Another option with the stove re: concern being too close to wall is to flip the stove and sink, I had the stove installed by the door because I did not want to be cooking near the bed (in the 19' model) and the sink was installed by the bed. That also allowed the kitchen window be moved further away from the door. The look was more aesthetically pleasing from the outside. In side with the stove by the door it was closer to the MaxxFan and I eliminated the hood.
I've seen a photo of your set-up, Jim, and liked it very much. We almost did this, but the frequency with which we use the sink vs. the stove came into play. The sink is used all the time and for more then dishes. We felt the elbow room in its original position was better for us. Hope it works well--we'll see!
Peace~
Gae
Old 03-17-2015, 04:54 PM   #17

Trailer: 2015 E'21 - 'Velocity'. Tow: Toyota Tacoma V6, 4X4, manual.
Quote:
Originally Posted by LDRay View Post
Thanks for all the input. We rarely use our range hood so I think we will stick with the decision to eliminate it.
I may be late with this recommendation, but it is similar to many others. We skipped the hood - rarely use it at home for venting, but use it all the time for light. In place of the hood we now have an extra under-counter light which should be a very nice substitute. For venting we have two Maxxfans (no AC).

We really like the open look and, I have a phobia about hitting my head - even if it's not possible in the Escape.

--
Alan
alanmalk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2015, 08:10 PM   #18
Site Team

Different strokes for different folks. I purchased a custom ETI build and it's fully self contained. I gave up the stove and dishwashing at the picnic table at the same time I gave up my tent (YMMV). I cook all the time in the trailer, use the range hood (thank goodness when I was trying to burn my steak!) and am glad I'm not schlepping stuff out of the garage/garden shed when I decide I'm going camping... no more! Pack fresh food and go. YMMV.
Old 03-17-2015, 09:04 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donna D. View Post
Different strokes for different folks. I purchased a custom ETI build and it's fully self contained. I gave up the stove and dishwashing at the picnic table at the same time I gave up my tent (YMMV). I cook all the time in the trailer, use the range hood (thank goodness when I was trying to burn my steak!) and am glad I'm not schlepping stuff out of the garage/garden shed when I decide I'm going camping... no more! Pack fresh food and go. YMMV.
Excellent points, Donna, and you do have a gorgeous, well-appointed trailer Lots of details out there to be considered and individual reasons for the decisions made. It helped me immensely to read through the forum and look at the photos--the information here was sanity-saving! Peace~
Gae
Old 03-17-2015, 09:14 PM   #20
Site Team

Gae that's why belonging to a forum like this one is so terrific. I read a LOT. but I keep remembering, it's not about my past (can't repeat that) it's about the future and how things may change for me and what I may want for that. Folks can decide for themselves (certainly) just as I've decided for what will work best for me. Best of luck to ALL!