Build sheet - one week until due date! - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Me | General Topics > Shopping Escape
Click Here to Login
Register Files FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 08-23-2014, 08:34 PM   #1

Trailer: 2014 Escape 19 "Flight Risk"
Build sheet - one week until due date!

Ok all... we've been officially lurking on this forum for a few months, trying to read everything we could to guide our decision-making process. Our final build sheet is due 9/1, and we figured we should get any last minute advice/opinions from the pros. So, here it is:

19' Escape (name TBD)

2 way hot water tank
3 burner stainless steel stove and range hood
6.7 cuft refrigerator with Texas fan
2 additional 12V interior outlets
Additional window (non-opening) over sink
Air conditioner
Digital thermostat
4 aluminum rims (question: should we add a 5th to the spare?)
Cabinet door at end of dinette bench
Cot (we have kids)
Extra drawer under wardrobe
Dual 6V batteries
Equalizer Hitch/Anderson Hitch (have not decided on this one yet)
Exterior shower
Exterior propane quick connect
Extra insulation and thermal windows
Storage box
LED interior light package
LED exterior lights plus additional light over storage box
4 captains reading lamps (2 in bed area, 2 in dinette area)
Opening window in bathroom
Removable power cord
2 shelves in wardrobe closet
Stainless steel sink and chrome faucet
Stove cover
Starter kit
Surge protector
160W solar panel with charge controller
Spray foam insulation under trailer (question: should we add heat pads?)
Water filter
Custom formica (still wavering on final choice)
Custom fabric (Sunbrella Dupione Deep Sea)
Convert dinette to u-shape
Bike rack ready
Graphic color TBD

Please let us know any thoughts you may have or things we have overlooked based on your experiences.

Thanks so much!
JaimeA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2014, 08:46 PM   #2

Trailer: 2015 E'21 - 'Velocity'. Tow: Toyota Tacoma V6, 4X4, manual.
Regarding heat pads.

I'm planning to do a fair amount of below freezing camping and the problem of keeping the liquid in a liquid state has been a source of much concern.

My thinking on the 12v pads is No, for a couple of reasons. One: I suspect (just a guess) that each pad will need around 100W of power and that is a lot to pull from a battery if not hooked up to 110. And we expect to not be hooked to utilities very often. Second: I'm thinking that the only tank in danger of freezing is the fresh water. It will be easy to add a gallon or two of RV antifreeze to the grey and black tanks on an "as needed" basis, which should at least keep the contents in a slushy state. And finally, I have a grand scheme (some would call it a mod) to send hot water directly from the water heater back into the fresh water tank on an as needed basis. Say, just before bed, pump the entire 6 gallons of 140*F water into the fresh tank. Should keep everything from freezing over night with the spray foam package.

I'll be glad to report back in a couple of years and let you know if it works!

--
Alan
alanmalk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2014, 08:48 PM   #3

Hey,

I do not see a wall beef up for TV mount or TV Antennae rainy days stuck inside it might save some piece of mind. You may not need or want the Antennae but a wall beefed up allows you to mount a TV and hook a laptop to it for movies etc. I also do not see any stereo perhaps you do not need one but you may wish to have it prewired for possible future install. The heat pads would depend on when and where you camp. I would not go for the spare being Aluminum the cost does not out weigh the benefit IMHO. You may also wish to consider having 12 volt power and grounds dropped under the bed and in the cabinets for lights later. The door on the end of the bench near the door is handy for storing quick access set up stuff. I am sure there will be others popping in with their thoughts soon.

Cypher
Cypherian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2014, 09:11 PM   #4
Site Team

Trailer: 2015 19 "Past Tents", 2021 F150 Lariat 2.7L EB
My two cents in red:

Quote:
Originally Posted by JaimeA View Post
Ok all... we've been officially lurking on this forum for a few months, trying to read everything we could to guide our decision-making process. Our final build sheet is due 9/1, and we figured we should get any last minute advice/opinions from the pros. So, here it is:

19' Escape (name TBD)

2 way hot water tank -- yes
3 burner stainless steel stove and range hood -- I like the 2 burner for more counter space
6.7 cuft refrigerator with Texas fan -- large capacity is good
2 additional 12V interior outlets -- yes, at least 2
Additional window (non-opening) over sink -- OK
Air conditioner -- yes
Digital thermostat -- yes
4 aluminum rims (question: should we add a 5th to the spare?)-- yes, but not the spare
Cabinet door at end of dinette bench -- yes
Cot (we have kids)
Extra drawer under wardrobe -- yes
Dual 6V batteries -- definitely
Equalizer Hitch/Anderson Hitch (have not decided on this one yet) -- if needed, I prefer the equalizer hitch
Exterior shower -- not for me
Exterior propane quick connect -- yes
Extra insulation and thermal windows -- definite must have
Storage box -- yes
LED interior light package -- yes
LED exterior lights plus additional light over storage box -- yes
4 captains reading lamps (2 in bed area, 2 in dinette area) -- not a biggie for me
Opening window in bathroom -- yes
Removable power cord -- meh
2 shelves in wardrobe closet -- yes
Stainless steel sink and chrome faucet -- yes
Stove cover -- I prefer a cutting board/homemade cover
Starter kit -- ok
Surge protector -- definitely -- get a tester too
160W solar panel with charge controller -- yes
Spray foam insulation under trailer (question: should we add heat pads?) Only if you camp in very COLD areas
Water filter -- easily added later, or just use an inline on the hose
Custom formica (still wavering on final choice) - I like Colorado Slate or Crayon with your fabric choice
Custom fabric (Sunbrella Dupione Deep Sea) -- yes
Convert dinette to u-shape -- great option in the 19
Bike rack ready -- ok
Graphic color TBD

Please let us know any thoughts you may have or things we have overlooked based on your experiences.

Thanks so much!
Old 08-23-2014, 09:11 PM   #5
Site Team

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0 TA
I don't see it, maybe I missed it, but you'll want the stooge table at the end of the kitchen counter (by the door). The 19' has a smallish counter and extra space for doing dishes, etc. is lovely!
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2014, 09:16 PM   #6
Site Team

Trailer: 2015 19 "Past Tents", 2021 F150 Lariat 2.7L EB
Quote:
Originally Posted by Donna D. View Post
I don't see it, maybe I missed it, but you'll want the stooge table at the end of the kitchen counter (by the door). The 19' has a smallish counter and extra space for doing dishes, etc. is lovely!
I thought the pop up extension was standard on the 19. I haven't seen a photo of the 19 counter without it. Same for the 17.
Old 08-23-2014, 09:23 PM   #7
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by rbryan4 View Post
I thought the pop up extension was standard on the 19. I haven't seen a photo of the 19 counter without it. Same for the 17.
You're right: The 19 Foot Escape. I had to order it for Ten Forward...
Old 08-23-2014, 10:13 PM   #8

Trailer: Escape 19 February 2014
Is there a reason why you don't want the kitchen window to open? The one we have opens outward so we can leave it ajar if it rains. Also, I can talk through it to Terry when he is sitting outside the trailer and I'm in the kitchen.
Ruthe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2014, 10:40 PM   #9

Trailer: 2024 Bigfoot 21RB
We have the heat pads and haven't used them yet - I think no need unless you winter camp with day temp well below freezing. I would go with the opening kitchen window - we like the air circulation, we don't have a window in the bathroom and haven't missed it, love the solar and dual 6v with an inverter 1500 watt.
gharper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2014, 12:41 AM   #10

Trailer: 2014 Escape 19 "Flight Risk"
Re: kitchen window... We were thinking of going with non-opening because we didn't feel we would need the additional ventilation and we thought the unblocked view would be nice. However, we are not tied to that idea. It sounds like many have found it useful. There was an interesting thread on the topic with pictures of both the opening and non-opening. I'll see if I can find it and post the link here.
JaimeA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2014, 05:42 AM   #11

Trailer: 2014 Escape 19
We went with the non opening kitchen window for the better view. You have a screen door and two opening windows at that side of the trailer for ventilation. We eliminated the stove hood and replaced with an extra light as we never cook uncovered food and don't feel we need it. We didn't get the dual hot water heater and glad for that decision. In 52 nights (1/2 without electric) we only went thru 2 tanks of propane for heat, cooking, and hot water for washing dishes and showers. We figure for us, the break even point for the electric hot water option would be 800 days of camping.
Old 08-24-2014, 09:59 AM   #12

Trailer: 2013 Escape 15A
Send a message via Skype™ to KarenH
Here is the link to the opening versus non-opening windows: http://www.escapeforum.org/forums/f4...ning-4095.html

As can be seen, there are strongly held views for either choice depending on one's camping style. Just stick to your guns whatever your choice!
'22 GMC Acadia Denali
KarenH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2014, 10:00 AM   #13

Trailer: 2014 5TA/ *012 17B (previous)
We went with all the rims aluminum, including the spare. On our 17 I was constantly dealing with touching up rust, especially on the spare. If you don't mind the rusting -but this probably depends on where you live- Also if you have a flat or a tire that wears you can just use the spare. That way they are interchangeable. $85 seemed worth it to me, considering buying aluminum rims for a vehicle is a lot more than $85.
'Have No Regrets'
Chapitre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2014, 12:20 PM   #14

Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
In addition to Chapitre's excellent points, using an alloy wheel for the spare allows you to move the wheels & tires between positions, so you can get actual use out of the spare tire before throwing it away a few years later due to age. For instance, if you wear out a set of tires in four years, including the spare can stretch that to five years, with each tire spending one year riding in the spare position.

This is the same as with cars: if the spare tire is the same as the others (not true with most cars now, but true for an Escape), and if the wheels match (which they will if you buy an alloy for the spare), and if the tires are not directional (the trailer's tires are not directional), the spare is included in the rotation of tires between positions on the vehicle.

Many people report that they replace tires based on their age well before they run out of tread - in that case, using the spare this way would not have an advantage.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2014, 04:03 PM   #15
Site Team

I'm old Skool. My father taught me in the 1950s that the spare should be the best tire taken off the vehicle when buying four for the vehicle. (Buy the best FOUR tires you can afford, rather than five of less quality.) I still subscribe to that theory. The spare only needs to be good enough to get you off the highway and to the tire store. AND yeah, I've seen the exploding Scamp spares, but have to wonder if it was ever the BEST of the two taken off, or just forgotten.

Now that I'm towing a TA... how many people REALLY rotate their tires on their all molded towable. I mean REALLY?

I never did on the Scamp, probably won't on Ten Forward... but the spare will always be the best of the tires taken off. And since the spare has a great tire cover, I don't care if the spare wheel matches.

YMMV
Old 08-24-2014, 04:31 PM   #16

Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Donna D. View Post
... how many people REALLY rotate their tires on their all molded towable. I mean REALLY?
Mine rotate every time I go down the road with it, but that is it other than the rare times the bearings get redone.

I too subscribe to the theory of using the best existing tire for the spare, and only buying four for the tow. I will be replacing the trailer tires next spring, as it will be 6 years, and they do show some wear, and not certain if I will change out the unused spare, or not though.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2014, 04:31 PM   #17

Trailer: 2017 Escape 19' #2
For what it worth we open our kitchen window more then any other.

We got 5 aluminum rims and my reason was that in case one was to get damaged I would have a matching replacement.
Old 08-24-2014, 04:54 PM   #18

Trailer: 2015 21'; 2011 19' sold; 4Runner; ph ninezero3 327-27ninefour
JaimeA, you have an excellent build list there.

We have the non-opening kitchen window. I like the view but wish we had an opening one to have air there in the kitchen area or to talk through. We usually have the door closed at night. If the awning is up and it rains, you could open that window. It can also be used in conjunction with the Maxx fan.

Unless you are sure you will only boondock, you might want the pads with foam and also as a selling feature for someone who would have hookups. There are quite a few people who want that colder season option.

It all looks great.
float5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2014, 04:58 PM   #19

Trailer: None, sold my 2014 5.0TA
I don't find the opening kitchen window blocks much of the view, not like it's a picture window. It is the most often opened of the ones we have.
Old 08-24-2014, 05:03 PM   #20
Site Team

I have a 5.0TA, opening or not, wasn't an option. It is what it is.. and it opens. Zero regrets (but, you can never miss what you've never had). As others have said, if the awning is deployed and the window is open, doesn't matter if it's raining or not.

Living in the Pacific NorthWET, (we typically) would love to have all the windows open we can.. air our homes and our trailers out!

YMMV