Build Sheet thoughts - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Me | General Topics > Shopping Escape
Click Here to Login

Old 01-19-2016, 09:07 AM   #1

Trailer: Escape 21 2016
Build Sheet thoughts

We are still working hard on the build sheet for our 21 to be hatched in December. Any suggestions or thoughts you guys with more experience have will be much appreciated.

Build sheet for EggEszsegedre!

2 way hot water heater
Stainless steel stove and hood turned 90 degrees
Exterior 12v outlet
Additional 12v usb interior outlet
Dual 6v batteries
Inverter 1500w with transfer to all outlets
150w solar panel with charge controller
Surge protector
Removable power cord
Opening window in bathroom
Extra insulation & thermal Windows
Additional exterior LED light over storage box
LED awning light strip
Air conditioner with digital thermostat
Power tongue jack
TV cable ready with 120v outlet
Extendable wall mount TV arm
Exterior hatch
Counter extensions 4 @ $85.00 per
Foot flush toilet
Winterizing T-Valve
exterior shower ( on passenger side in the rear)
Exterior propane quick connect
Spray foam insulation
Storage cubbies outside bath
Storage box
Custom Formica with brown trim
Custom fabric
U-Shape dinette
"18"" table"
Extra door under bed
Customer supplied sink and faucet in kitchen area
Customer supplied shower hose and sprayer
Customer supplied Springfield table pedestal

We are still back and forth on the spray foam insulation and a microwave. I pitched the microwave in our Casita and use a toaster oven but it seems one can use the microwave in the Escape with the inverter and solar. Is this really possible?

Thanks
Mitzi
Playdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2016, 11:36 AM   #2

Trailer: None, sold my 2014 5.0TA
I went back and forth on the spray foam, ended up with it but I'm still unsure if it is worth having. The only thing it hurts is access to the underside should you decide you need such. It did potentially save us some damage when a piece of road debris was kicked up by the truck, it took off a good chunk of the foam right at the fresh water tank.

Might consider the Horst RV tank probes, at least one of the standard probes is wrong at all times, which 1 varies. Once you put on the foam you can't change them, should have had ETI do it. They'd be another "customer supplied" item.

On the MW, we have it. I did buy a door and hinges to fit the cabinet if I were to change my mind and want the space for other things. So far I don't need the space and we use the MW often enough to keep it for now. We seem to have hookups, or at least electric, about half the time.

Are you getting the 2 burner cooktop? We got the 3 but never use but 2.

Where do you put 4 counter extensions?
Old 01-19-2016, 11:55 AM   #3

Trailer: "The Trailer", 2nd Gen 21' & a 2017 Tundra CrewMax in Blazing Blue Pearl
Quote:
Originally Posted by Playdog View Post
(snip)

We are still back and forth on the spray foam insulation and a microwave. I pitched the microwave in our Casita and use a toaster oven but it seems one can use the microwave in the Escape with the inverter and solar. Is this really possible?
Mitzi, your build sheet looks a lot like ours, but we're not going for any of the TV stuff. Will use our laptops for that.

I originally had the microwave on ours, but after going up to the factory yesterday, I removed it. Their display model does not have a microwave and I hadn't realized just how big of a storage area it takes up. All that wasted space behind it. Yes, that's been mentioned on this forum before, but reading it and seeing it are two different things.

We're going to get a small microwave and stash it in that cupboard along with other stuff. Much more efficient use of that space. In a bit I'm going to start a new thread with the photos and measurements I took inside their display model. Then you'll be able to see what I'm talking about.

My husband says the solar panel and inverter would not be enough to run the microwave. I'm not an expert, so I'm only going by what he says.
NW Cat Owner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2016, 12:01 PM   #4

Trailer: "The Trailer", 2nd Gen 21' & a 2017 Tundra CrewMax in Blazing Blue Pearl
Quote:
Originally Posted by padlin View Post
(snip)Are you getting the 2 burner cooktop? We got the 3 but never use but 2.

Where do you put 4 counter extensions?
We're getting the two burner as I never use more than two at home, much less while on the road.

I suspect the same places we are - end of kitchen, two in the dinette area since it's u-shaped and one on the end of the drawer stack. However, our drawer stack one won't have a charge since we're getting the cabinet extension for more cupboard space.

I also found out yesterday they're only making them in two sizes (least for the 21'; not sure on the kitchen extension in other trailers, but probably the same). 11x13 for the kitchen counter and 11x18 for all others. Same price for both sizes.
Old 01-19-2016, 12:18 PM   #5

Trailer: 2017 Escape 21C, 2018 Ford F150
With the 6V options & solar, you will be able to use the microwave for short periods, but any long time cooking will probably draw down the batteries further than the 150W solar panel will replace in a reasonable period.

Real time expectations of a 150 watt solar system during the summer will be around 50 amp hours per day at best, less during cloudy days or in the winter with shorter days & lower angle sun.

You can expect to use around 90 - 100 amps @ 12V while running a 1000 watt microwave. This is about 1.5 amp hours per minute. Since you don't want to draw your batteries down more than 50%, the maximum you could run it is a little over an hour if you had no other loads. Again, the problem is it would take 2 days of good sun & no other loads to put that hours worth of microwaving back in the batteries.
Old 01-19-2016, 12:24 PM   #6

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
I'd suggest getting 2 solar panels on the bigger trailers if you want to microwave off grid for any period of time.
Old 01-19-2016, 03:28 PM   #7

Trailer: 2015 21'; 2011 19' sold; 4Runner; ph ninezero3 327-27ninefour
Looks like a fantastic list! The microwave can be used mostly for heat-ups, not much cooking it seems, if boondocking, but many do use it for heat-ups. Another solar panel apparently cannot be added when someone has A/C on a 21'. Not sure. The microwave is very small, to me, anyway, but we use it to cook just about every kind of food. A toaster oven will not steam food but it is good for other kinds of cooking.

We have yet to use our third counter extension which is next to the bed at the drawers. It is in the way if up, for one person getting up. If a counter extension is used by the kitchen, it has to be cut for that size area in a 21' --- smaller as Laura mentioned. Will not fit the same one as for a 19'. Also the standard 12v outlet is inconvenient to use under the counter extension at bed since we have not been putting that counter up. So I rarely use that one. We have two sets of 12v and 120v at the dinette and one near bath so we use those.

If you think you will travel in the off season, then foam spray is good.

I would look at the dollar and get anything you think you might want because it is highly likely that it will cost you less now than adding later.
float5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2016, 03:38 PM   #8

I think if you eliminate the antenna option you can mount 2 solars on the 5.0, front and rear. Possibly the same on the 21
Old 01-21-2016, 07:30 AM   #9

Well now I think I will eliminate the foam and microwave. Laura, does the cabinet come standard with a door if one passes on the microwave or is having a door there an up charge?
I have also decided (after seeing the shipping costs) to go with a standard sink unless we make it up to the factory before our trip to pick up our camper. After adding up the cost for all of the stooge tables we want and the smaller dinning table I think I am going to make my own or pay the guy that bought our cabinet shop to make them for me. I need to find out what brand and size hardware they use for the stooge tables. I also think I want to reinforce some walls but am not sure how many and where. I know I want the one between the bed and bath done. Any suggestions?
Old 01-21-2016, 08:28 AM   #10

I had that wall reinforced, allows the installation of towel bars and medicine cabinet inside bath, plus magazine rack on the bed side. The cabinet door is standard where microwave would go. Don't forget the little cubbies by the door, keeps all those little things in one place.
Old 01-21-2016, 04:05 PM   #11

Quote:
Well now I think I will eliminate the foam and microwave. Laura, does the cabinet come standard with a door if one passes on the microwave or is having a door there an up charge?
I have also decided (after seeing the shipping costs) to go with a standard sink unless we make it up to the factory before our trip to pick up our camper. After adding up the cost for all of the stooge tables we want and the smaller dinning table I think I am going to make my own or pay the guy that bought our cabinet shop to make them for me. I need to find out what brand and size hardware they use for the stooge tables. I also think I want to reinforce some walls but am not sure how many and where. I know I want the one between the bed and bath done. Any suggestions?
Yes, the cabinet door is standard if you're not getting a microwave. Sarah did not add any cost to the build sheet for that when she removed the microwave.

We're getting the walls at the ends of the dinette reinforced for the flip up counters, so if you add your own, you'll want to reinforce that wall. Plus, you'll be able to install something on the other side, over the stove, if you want (with screws, that is).

We're also getting the wall reinforced between the bed and the bathroom.

Some years ago my husband cut down a shelf from Ikea that fits inside the Billy bookcases (of which I have multiples of - Love Ikea!). He installed some hardware and attached it to the wall so I could have a place to put my drink and such when reading on the daybed as there wasn't room to put a small table next to it. It hinges up and down and stays closed with an eye bolt. I imagine your friend can do something similar. I know Dirk could do the same for our trailer, but he's not really thrilled with projects like that and only does them under duress. So, for us, it's easier to pay ETI to make them for us, plus the tops will match our countertop.

But, yeah, they do add up, don't they?

That's been another factor in deciding our options. Do we want to do the work ourselves or is it worth the money to pay ETI to do it? Most of the time the answer has been "add it to the build sheet". I know lots of folks love doing stuff like that, but we're not one of 'em.
Old 01-21-2016, 06:00 PM   #12

Hi Bob, we are going with the two burner stove as I usually cook outside weather permitting. I want the counter extensions to the left of the sink, on the ends of the dinette and the end of the drawer stack. Thanks for the Horst probe reminder. I had forgotten to add them.

Mitzi
Old 01-21-2016, 06:29 PM   #13

Quote:
Hi Bob, we are going with the two burner stove as I usually cook outside weather permitting. I want the counter extensions to the left of the sink, on the ends of the dinette and the end of the drawer stack. Thanks for the Horst probe reminder. I had forgotten to add them.

Mitzi
Unfortunately, I forgot them too!!! That's why I remember them now.
Old 01-21-2016, 06:41 PM   #14

We did not reinforce walls at dinette for counter extensions and neither did most people as far as I know.
Old 01-21-2016, 06:45 PM   #15

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE
But, who installed your counter extensions? If ETI was doing it, they would likely reinforce the wall as part of the install. If you decide to do it yourself later, they wouldn't be reinforced unless you specify, would they?
Old 01-21-2016, 07:10 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by float5 View Post
We did not reinforce walls at dinette for counter extensions and neither did most people as far as I know.
I've seen posts from other folks that said you need to have reinforced walls to add the extensions.
Old 01-21-2016, 07:26 PM   #17

The wall board is what, 1/8 of an inch thick? Might get away with toggle bolts.
Old 01-21-2016, 07:31 PM   #18

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE
Quote:
Originally Posted by padlin View Post
The wall board is what, 1/8 of an inch thick? Might get away with toggle bolts.
But, you could only use the extensions if you drink lite beer.
Old 01-21-2016, 07:34 PM   #19

Trailer: 2017 21 "Blue II" & 2017 Highlander XLE (previously 2010 17B "Blue" & 2008 Tacoma)
Quote:
Originally Posted by gbaglo View Post
But, you could only use the extensions if you drink lite beer.
I don't think lite "beer" should be able to use the word beer in its name. Should be sued for false advertising.

After this totally off topic post - we now return you to your regularly scheduled programming.

"Beware of false knowledge; it is more dangerous than ignorance." George Bernard Shaw
thoer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2016, 07:53 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by NW Cat Owner View Post
I've seen posts from other folks that said you need to have reinforced walls to add the extensions.
Obviously not correct unless they just changed it. I believe that that was their idea of what they thought they needed. We did not order but one reinforced wall and it was not at the dinette where we have two counter extensions.

People have also put magazine racks and other such things on walls that were not reinforced with no problem in many years. We were told that we could mount the TV arm on an unreinforced dinette wall as long as we mounted it at the edge.