Buying a new Escape 19 - Page 3 - Escape Trailer Owners Community

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Me | General Topics > Shopping Escape
Click Here to Login

Old 08-26-2013, 06:36 PM   #21

Trailer: Escape 19 (sold) Escape 21 2014
I think you should find a different Ford dealer or question everything these guys tell you. In looking at the Sports Trac 2010 Towing Guide published online by Ford it states. A 4x4 V-6 with the Class III/IV towing package will handle a trailer up to 5,080 lbs and has a CGVW of 10,000 lbs. The same number I cited earlier for your vehicle. If you have Trailer Tow Package – Option Code 53G you are good to go.

The Ford website is the best place to look, stealers are known for their lack of product knowledge and probably the worst source. Call national customer service is much better for technical specifications.

fudge_brownie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2013, 07:52 PM   #22

Trailer: 2013 Esc19/'14 Silvrado
[QUOTE...(d)--ealers are known for their lack of product knowledge and probably the worst source. Call national customer service is much better for technical specifications.[/QUOTE]

I'll ditto that.

MyronL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2013, 04:19 PM   #23

Trailer: None
MY Ford Sport Trac

Here is all the detail I have on my Tug.

I have a 2010 Ford Sport Tack XLT 4X4 with a 210 HP and 4OL SOHC V6 engine.
with a factory installed tow package 7 wire harness and 4/7 pin connector. Transmission Oil-to-Air Cooler, Electric Brake Controller Tap-in-Capability and Trailer sway control.
The receiver is a Class III/IV with 5000 lb Max. weight carrying capacity and a Max. tongue load of 500 lbs. The GCWR ratting is 10000 lbs.

Based on the information it looks like I should be able to tow a 19 if it weighs in at say 4000 lb with all accessories. What do you think?

Ron
canoeak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2013, 04:27 PM   #24

Trailer: 2013 Escape 19 & 15B
Quote:
Originally Posted by canoeak View Post
Here is all the detail I have on my Tug.

I have a 2010 Ford Sport Tack XLT 4X4 with a 210 HP and 4OL SOHC V6 engine.
with a factory installed tow package 7 wire harness and 4/7 pin connector. Transmission Oil-to-Air Cooler, Electric Brake Controller Tap-in-Capability and Trailer sway control.
The receiver is a Class III/IV with 5000 lb Max. weight carrying capacity and a Max. tongue load of 500 lbs. The GCWR ratting is 10000 lbs.

Based on the information it looks like I should be able to tow a 19 if it weighs in at say 4000 lb with all accessories. What do you think?

Ron
Looks like your truck would likely be ok for towing a 19'. You will find that the tandem 19' tracks really well. My own experience is that my tow vehicle with 5000 lb tow capacity works quite well with the 19'. I do use a WDH and it seems to work well for my truck/trailer combination. So far I have had no need for sway control.

"It is better to remain silent at the risk of being thought a fool, than to talk and remove all doubt of it." - 1907, Maurice Switzer
Dave Walter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2013, 04:31 PM   #25
Site Team

Trailer: 2016 2ndGen Escape 19' PRAIRIE SCHOONER pulled by 2014 Ram Hemi/8sp
Those specs are about what my FJ Cruiser are, I'd recommend the Andersen W/D set up to keep everything level, particularly if your tongue weight is high.
Old 08-29-2013, 07:57 PM   #26

Trailer: 2014 Escape 19
Watch out for Alaska DMV!!!!!! Every state is different when it comes to trailer registration and licensing. AK DMV will not let you obtain plates for your new Escape trailer (not even temporary plates) ahead of time. You must first cross the border with your new trailer at which time US Customs will inspect and provide you with paperwork showing compliance with USDOT safety standards, etc. DMV will not issue you plates and registration until this paperwork is presented to them. The Manufacturer's Certificate of Origin alone and sales receipt alone will not cut it with DMV because you are buying a trailer that was built in Canada. Once you cross the border, you will be traveling illegally without plates. Plan on overnighting this paperwork to a friend and have them go to AK DMV for you....make sure that all t's are crossed and i's dotted or there will be further delays. Forget about registering the trailer in WA state as it will cost you thousands in sales tax. Also, when you pay Escape for your trailer, watch out for a hose job on the exchange rate. I would suggest XE.com for the exchange. If Wells Fargo is the intermediary bank on the exchange, (i.e. NBA uses them for wire transfers to Canada) you will lose maybe $500US on a $20k transaction (over and above what it would cost you to do the exchange thru XE). Don't take anyone's word for this including mine. Do the research yourself.......way ahead of time so that there are no surprises. I am confident that you will be happy with your new trailer despite having to deal with these issues.
dotllama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2013, 08:14 PM   #27

P.S. If you use XE for the currency exchange, you must jump through a bunch of hoops for them ....so that they know you are legitimate. Get started on this several months before you have to pay Escape the big bucks so that your account with XE will be all set up.
Old 08-29-2013, 09:56 PM   #28

Trailer: 2016 Escape 21 (May 25, 2016)
What about using a credit card without foreign transaction fees?
JaneM. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2013, 11:10 PM   #29

Credit Card

It has been my experience that most businesses (Escape included) will not accept large payments by credit card because it costs them too much in fees.
Old 08-29-2013, 11:49 PM   #30

Trailer: 2012 Escape 19'
Quote:
Originally Posted by dotllama View Post
It has been my experience that most businesses (Escape included) will not accept large payments by credit card because it costs them too much in fees.
FYI, I bought my 19' Escape with a Cashier's Check in US Dollars that Tammy changed into Canadian Dollars and deposited into their account with very little fees. I figured we would capitalize on the great relationship they have with their bank.

"Want Some Ice Cubes?, "Want a Frozen Margarita?", Want a Jump?"
hotfishtacos is offline   Reply With Quote