Buying a new Escape 19 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Me | General Topics > Shopping Escape
Click Here to Login

Old 08-25-2013, 09:17 AM   #1

Trailer: None
Buying a new Escape 19

We are buying a new Escape 19 for pickup in May 2014. We live in Fairbanks, AK; we’ll pick our ’19 up and drive to California for several weeks then make the drive back to Fairbanks taking 3 week to do so. Several questions:
1. We will be doing summer camping only (May 15 to Sept. 15). Should we consider the insulation/window package?
2. While in Alaska we will be camping mostly in areas that do not provide hook-ups to water sewer and electric. We are thinking we don’t need the Microwave. Based upon what a number of people have said. We are not sure we need the oven as it isn’t used that much and it’s hard to light. Comments:
3. Duel hot water tanks, how important are they?
4. Equalizer hitch. We have a Ford Sport Trac 235 hp and a 4.0 liter engine. Do we need it?
5. The extra’s we plan to ad are:
· Additional window over sink
· Brake controller
· Cabinet door at end of bench
· Duel 6 V Batteries
· Exterior access hatch
· LED lighting package
· LED porch light (1)
· LED captains reading lights (4)
· Shelves in the wardrobe
· What have we missed that others fee are necessary?
canoeak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2013, 09:29 AM   #2

Trailer: Escape 19 (sold) Escape 21 2014
You are pretty much on target with what I ordered in my 19'. The list is identical to what I ordered four years ago with the exception of the captains lights, they are a new addition.

Are you meaning dual propane tanks rather than dual hot water tanks? I would highly recommend the dual propane, never heard of ordering dual hot water.

On the equalizer hitch, I would wait until I picked up the unit. The real test is what happens to the vehicle when hooking up. I believe Escape has them on the shelf if you needed one installed.

I would consider the front storage box, it functions as a rock guard and gives you a lot of space. If you went with the box I would check to see if the batteries can be moved into the camper. The 21 now has them inside and in the past they were inside.

You can do your own brake controller. The Prodigy model, there are at least two versions, is widely recognized as the standard. I was not familiar with the brand Escape was using.

I did my own LED lights, again they were not an option at that time. I am using a pancake shaped LED from superbrightleds.com that put out 65 lumens. Compare the lumen output to what Escape provides.
fudge_brownie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2013, 09:37 AM   #3

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE
Camping without electricity, you'll not be able to use a microwave or the two-way hot water heater.
Old 08-25-2013, 09:43 AM   #4

Trailer: 21 ft November 17th
If your main camping is without services I would recommend the solar option with the dual six volt batteries . The microwave will be useless with out electrical hook ups, the oven is a personal choice, we like ours and use it lots but many don't use theirs or don't have one and don't miss it . The dual pane windows and extra insulation are a great idea even in the summer.
dave macrae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2013, 10:02 AM   #5

Trailer: 2013 Escape 19
Regarding the insulation package: we don't plan on doing any winter camping, but there are times we camp at altitude. We hit a couple of below-freezing nights in July in Yellowstone a few years ago. It's for occasions like those that we took the extra insulation packages (both the wall insulation/windows, plus the under-trailer spray). Note also that the extra insulation will help cut down noise somewhat, as well.

2013 Escape 19 ("The Dog House") , 2018 Ford F150
dbailey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2013, 10:06 AM   #6

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
The dual h/w means propane and electric, so without hookups, like the microwave, you will not need the dual water heater, nor a/c. But the extra insulation will help keep it cooler and warmer as will the foam underneath. I had both on my Escape 19. Solar is good as are the dual6 volts.
My concern is your tow vehicle, you maybe at it's limit with the 19 unless you do not weigh it down with options. The dual 6 will add to your tongue weight, so get the equalizer hitch, you will need it. Good luck...
Old 08-25-2013, 10:08 AM   #7

Trailer: none
We like our opening bathroom window.

For sure you should get the solar package since you say you will do a lot of camping without electric hookups. Also, with the solar package and a 1500W inverter you can run (judiciously) a 700 watt microwave and quite a number of other small appliances, like a small electric griddle, a waffle iron, a coffee maker, crock pot, etc.

Besides, during your summer camping in Alaska you will have almost 24 hr sunlight!!
Sold both 7/22
FMLNM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2013, 11:12 AM   #8

Towing Capacity

Like Jim mentioned you should go over the towing capacity of your Sport Trac, you did not mention a year and if it comes with a towing package. The key number to look for is the combined gross vehicle weight. I have seen some older models - 2008, having a rating of 10,000 lbs. This would be more than adequate unless you put a lot in or on your vehicle. Not sure of your model.

The CGVW is vehicle, passengers, fuel and gear plus the loaded trailer. Add the weight of a hitch if you use one. The real world weights of an Escape seem to run around 3,500 lbs with empty fresh, gray and black tanks. Run the numbers they are readily available from Ford.
Old 08-25-2013, 11:37 AM   #9

Trailer: 2013 Escape 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by dbailey View Post
Regarding the insulation package: we don't plan on doing any winter camping, but there are times we camp at altitude. We hit a couple of below-freezing nights in July in Yellowstone a few years ago. It's for occasions like those that we took the extra insulation packages (both the wall insulation/windows, plus the under-trailer spray). Note also that the extra insulation will help cut down noise somewhat, as well.
I would add that in our 19, we put in the opening window over the sink, and I think it's well worth it. Not only does it add light into the kitchen area even when the canopy's out,, but I find it improves airflow overall, and it's an opening window that you can safely leave open and not worry about rain getting in. For much the same reasons, we added the opening window in the bathroom.

We learned the difficult way that if you want to leave the passenger side window over the bed open during a heat wave camping trip, and then the thunderstorm rolls through while you're gone, that window's not under the cover of the canopy, with the inevitable results that things get... well, a bit damp, to say the least. :

2013 Escape 19 ("The Dog House"), 2012 Nissan Frontier
cathyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2013, 11:46 AM   #10

MaxAir makes a nice outside window cover that creates a venting system that allows you to keep a window open during rain or while driving down the road. It is called Window/Maxx, an easy install. Now we always keep a window open slightly at night to reduce condensation and never worry about rain.
Old 08-25-2013, 12:29 PM   #11

Trailer: 2001 Bigfoot 21RB/ 73Boler/Trillium 5500
Order the extra tail lights mounted on each side of the rear window. It was my idea in 2010 and many people did the same.
ChuckS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2013, 10:10 PM   #12

Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpaharley2008 View Post
The dual h/w means propane and electric, so without hookups, like the microwave, you will not need the dual water heater...
True, but when there are services using the electric heating element will reduce propane consumption. The electric heater doesn't cost much, doesn't take any extra space, and is not a good idea to try to add later. I would certainly get the electrical option.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2013, 10:18 PM   #13

Trailer: 2013 Escape 15B - 2014 Nissan Frontier SL
Another opinion. I got the dual water heater and wouldn't again. First, to turn on the electrical element you either have to get down on the floor and turn it on on the panel, or go outside and flip the switch. Second, the propane heats the entire tank in about 15 minutes and the water stays hot. Electrical takes much longer. So, in the morning, I just turn until the tank is hot and that is enough to do morning wash up and dishes. The water in the tank stays hot for a very long time. If we need more hot water, we turn it on for another 15 minutes and then turn it off again. It does not appear to use much propane at all. Third, you add the expense and maintenance of the electrical element. In 5,000 miles so far, we have not used the electrical part. I wish I had applied the $200 difference to something else.
techfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2013, 10:22 PM   #14

Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
Ford usually has decent towing information in the owners manual. I suggest having a read and asking about anything you are unclear about, to confirm that the tug is suitable, see how concerned you need to be about trailer weight, and determine if the weight-distributing ("equalizer") hitch is needed.

What year is the Sport Trac, and does it have the towing package?
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2013, 08:24 AM   #15

Trailer: 2013 19' & 2013 15B
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian B-P View Post
True, but when there are services using the electric heating element will reduce propane consumption. The electric heater doesn't cost much, doesn't take any extra space, and is not a good idea to try to add later. I would certainly get the electrical option.
We got the dual electric/propane option for the water heater in our 19'. So far we have not had opportunity to use the electric as we mainly stay at locations without services. Our thinking when we ordered the dual option was that even though it may not get used much in short term, our longer term plans would include more extended stays at locations with services where the electric water heater would be of value.

"It is better to remain silent at the risk of being thought a fool, than to talk and remove all doubt of it." - 1907, Maurice Switzer
Dave Walter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2013, 09:03 AM   #16

Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
Quote:
Originally Posted by techfan View Post
First, to turn on the electrical element you either have to get down on the floor and turn it on on the panel, or go outside and flip the switch. Second, the propane heats the entire tank in about 15 minutes and the water stays hot. Electrical takes much longer.
I just simply added in a switch to the a20V line to the heater, and leave the little toggle on the heater on all the time. This is a real easy mod to do, one that I did a thread about.
http://www.escapeforum.org/forums/f8...itch-1165.html

Boondocking most of the time (probably 80%), I do mostly use propane, BUT when there is power available I always use it. I find it heats fast, costs me less, and is WAY quieter. If you wish to have it fully hot in 10 minutes, just use both electric and propane heat at the same time (though I have only done that once).

So, bottom line for me, I would definitely get the dual fuel water heater. For a wee cost more, you get another heating option that works great when hooked to the grid.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2013, 03:13 PM   #17

Trailer: None
Thanks for the good information. My Sport Trac is a 2010 with just 18,000 miles with a tow package. My Ford dealer says it should do fine up to 3500 lbl.

Canoeak - Ron
canoeak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2013, 04:39 PM   #18

Trailer: 21 ft November 17th
We weighed our 19 ft on our way out of town this summer and it was 3700 lbs with a full tank of water. I wouldn't call us minimalist's but we don't pack heavy either. Just food for thought. If your tow is only rated for 3500 lbs max than I would think a 19 fter may be a bit much, but that is just my opinion and there will be many that will sugest it will be fine. Its all what you will be comfortable with.
dave macrae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2013, 04:49 PM   #19

Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
I agree with Dave. A 3,500 towing capacity is too little for a 19, especially if you add a lot of options. Even if you are right at the limit, you will suffer performance with any wind or hills. I see by your list you are not doing a storage box, and A/C, but still weights do add up. Check out this thread. The 3 19s listed on it are pushing towards 4,000 lbs too.
Trailer Weights in the Real World - Fiberglass RV
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2013, 04:51 PM   #20

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE
Don't forget tongue weight.